Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:23 am 

From what I've heard around the grapevine some of those video game reviews are paid off... Basically let's say EA has some deal with Gamestop or IGN, so of course Gamestop and IGN give their games perfect scores to get more people to buy = more profit for everyone, but I think everyone already knew this. I stopped taking video game reviews seriously when I saw "Dead Rising 2" getting perfect scores all over the place when A) The game FUCKING SUCKED and B) games infinitely better were getting like 5/10. I will watch reviews on youtube mainly to see the game in action and make my own decision on if the game is worthy of buying or not regardless of the reviewer's score.

Edit: GTA V game of the generation!? FOAD. The game is cool and all, but I can't get lost in it for hours like many other games. I've been finding myself playing a mission or 2, driving around doing random shit and then turning on a different game. All matter of opinion and taste I guess, but RDR is still my favorite Rockstar game, I could play that all day long and have fun the whole time.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:14 pm 

Dunno about this one; accusations of direct payment are quite baseless at this point (and the fact that such accusations are sometimes tossed by random trolls doesn't mean that "everyone knows this"). Indirect payments are a different story though.

Also, you meant GameSPOT, not GameSTOP, right?
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:29 pm 

Well Gamestop does have it's magazine with reviews and they have lots of deals with companies, but it was more of just an example that's interchangeable with other names. If you give a game a terrible review and then try to sell it well that's just not very smart. Video game reviews & reviewers are funny, if anyone has ever used Gamefly (great service) I'm sure you have noticed that members rate games before or on release day before they've even gotten them. I remember getting a few games shipped to me on or before release day and they already had perfect 10 scores from all these people who haven't even touched the game yet, and then as the weeks go by the rating gets steadily lower.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:38 pm 

Yeah, I'm aware of the whole "give our game a score under 9 and we won't invite you to future press events" deal that most video game companies do, which is why I restricted myself to opinions of actual gamers who got the game early this time around.

By the way, as much as I love the game, it's not worth the 98 average on Metacritic. Very few games are worth a score higher than 9, but the scale of video game scores (and video game journalism in general) is fucked.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:27 am 

Saying that GameStop's magazine reviews are "paid off" is a stupid fucking claim. It's a magazine that exists to advertise not only GameStop and its relevant business, and that includes Microsoft and Sony. It's the same exact situation with Best Buy's "magazine". The same situation. If you're looking at those going, "I wish I could get clean, unbiased coverage of videogames!," then what the fuck are you doing?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:55 am 

Maybe "paid off" was a bit of an exaggeration, but they are certainly nudged or have a lot to gain by giving them overly positive reviews, and I have heard this from various people in the industry. Like others said listen to what other gamers and non biased reviewers are saying if you want a more realistic review.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:30 pm 

If you are a Legacy of Kain fan, do not watch this video, or you will weep. And not tears of joy either.

:( :nono: :puke:

...No wonder they disabled comments and ratings. Pffft. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fuck you, Squeenix.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:32 pm 

"Each side plays really differently and that's what makes the experience unique and fun." :lol:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:35 pm 

GODDAMNIT. That fucking company.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:30 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Maybe "paid off" was a bit of an exaggeration, but they are certainly nudged or have a lot to gain by giving them overly positive reviews, and I have heard this from various people in the industry. Like others said listen to what other gamers and non biased reviewers are saying if you want a more realistic review.

Did you even read my response, dude?

I'm agreeing with you, but I'm saying it's dumb to state the obvious as you've done. Yes, a retail-sponsored magazine is going to have biased reviews and questionable, or overly car-salesman-y content. Their business is to sell shit, not give opinions. Companies such as EGM, GameSpot, Polygon and Giant Bomb are under a completely different category and audience, since their parent company is a wholly different beast, i.e., not a retail monster.

Also, I'm old enough and have been playing long enough to know what I like and don't like, or what I might see as interesting.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:44 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
If you are a Legacy of Kain fan, do not watch this video, or you will weep. And not tears of joy either.

:( :nono: :puke:

...No wonder they disabled comments and ratings. Pffft. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fuck you, Squeenix.

What in the unholy fuck? Can I join you in your puke-fest? That might just be worse than the move they made with Hitman Absolution.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:40 am 

That game looks just like those UE3-powered multiplayer games that pop up on Steam for $20 every now and then. Only this time, it's backed by a big company with a big IP.

The past few days have been crazy for the PC platform. Valve announced the Steam Machine, which is a Linux-based living room PC that can stream Windows/Mac games from other home PCs. Yesterday, AMD announced a powerful lineup of graphics cards as well as a new "low-level high-performance console-style" graphics API for the PC, titled "Mantle." Basically, big players breaking away from Microsoft. Exciting stuff.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:51 am 

Adriankat wrote:
I think I'm past the honeymoon phase with GTAV. Tough call between this game or TLOU for game of the generation

Easy as hell call for me. The Last of Us.

I'm only halfway done with GTAV though. It's cool. Very impressive. Easy to just get lost exploring, doing sidequests and mini-games, and be all "OMG look at the time"

It competes heavily with Bioshock Infinite as far as games this year, but TLOU blows both away. I still think about TLOU at random times. Ponder about the ending. What Joel and Ellie must've gone through before and after the game. I have no investment or interest in GTAV characters. Although I admit Franklin and Chop are currently my favorites.

Game of the generation is still Demon's Souls holding on strong. I would say game of the millennium, but Silent Hill 2 came out early 2000s.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:32 am 

Haven't even played the Kain series and that Nosgoth game looks awful. lol

My updated games beaten this year list so far:

1. Bare Knuckle III (Genesis)
2. Megaman 5* (PS2)
3. Final Fight 2 (SNES)
4. Final Fight 3 (SNES)
5. Bloody Roar (PSX)
6. Bloody Roar 2 (PSX)
7. Megaman 6* (PS2)
8. Nier (PS3)
9. Final Fight Double Impact (Guy)
10. Devil May Cry HD (PS3)
11. Dead Space 3 (360)
12. Devil May Cry 2 HD (PS3)
13. Dead Space* (360)
14. Dead Space 2 (360)
15. Bioshock Infinite (360)
16. Doom 3* BFG Edition + RoE + Lost Mission (360)
17. Lost Odyssey (360)
18. FEAR 2* (360)
19. Sonic CD* (PS3)
20. Resident Evil 4* HD (PS3)
21. The Darkness II (360)
22. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon (360)
23. Skyrim (360)
24. Metal Gear Solid 2* HD (PS3)
25. Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker HD (PS3)
26. Metal Gear Solid 3* HD (PS3)
27. Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
28. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3)
29. Zone of the Enders HD (PS3)
30. Devil May Cry 3 HD (PS3)
31. Devil May Cry 3 HD [PLATINUM] (PS3)
32. Onimusha Warlords (PS2)
33. Asura's Wrath (PS3)
34. Ratchet & Clank HD (PS3)
35. Sly Cooper HD (PS3)
36. Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny* (PS2)
37. Devil May Cry 4* (PS3)
38. Vanquish (PS3)
39. Onimusha 3: Demon Siege* (PS2)

* = replay

Now playing...

- Tales of Graces f, but not really. The curse of never ever finishing a Tales game continues. I'll just have to wait for price drops on Xilia.
- Genji Dawn of the Samurai, whelp I was pretty hyped going into this one after watching some videos, but compared to all the other action games I've played this year, this is easily the most boring by a few miles. Something about the combat is just terribly unsatisfying. Good music and visuals though.
- R&C Going Commando, talk about fixing ALL issues the first game had which was pretty damn rough and frustrating as hell after awhile. Sly 1 blew it out of the water. Thankfully this game is great though so I'm looking forward to the rest of the R&C's.
- Onimusha Dawn of Dreams, never beat this one back in the day but I definitely dug it. It's still weird coming out of the trilogy though. The environments are so bland.

Think I'll get Deadly Premonition next month. Never got around to Fatal Frame III, so maybe I'll hit that one up too.

I have Armored Core 4 Answer, Darksiders, FFXIII-2, Infamous 1-2, Zone of the Enders 2 HD, more Sly, R&C, and the Jak HD collection, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on my shelf. Choices... Also got this weird Bujingai game, looks badass but hopefully it's not another Genji case. Either way it looks a lot like Shinobi / Nightshade, but even better.

It's been a productive year in gaming to say the least. Gonna hit up God Hand and Viewtiful Joe too, along with whatever else Clover/Capcom stuff I never got around to.

There is much to be played:
http://amzn.com/w/2VPMDQKI0G29U

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:57 am 

Streets Of Rage 3? What's that? Bare Knuckle III motherfucker! You never played Vanquish? Vanquish is great! How about God Hand? That's another awesome Mikami joint. Also, what did you think of Doom 3: BFG Edition? Talk to me about graphics, controls, etc. Did you ever play Doom 3 regular?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:30 pm 

Do not watch this if you haven't already beaten The Last of Us. But if you have, then... prepare for the awesomeness of this video. :)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:50 pm 

I guess The Last of Us is, like, a big deal or something.

*haven't touched a PlayStation anything in ten years*

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:15 pm 

Damn, I thought I'd stepped up my game with 9 completed ones this year, but damn. I always wondered how people found time to replay games over and over, but I guess that explains it. Dayum.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:24 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Streets Of Rage 3? What's that? Bare Knuckle III motherfucker! You never played Vanquish? Vanquish is great! How about God Hand? That's another awesome Mikami joint. Also, what did you think of Doom 3: BFG Edition? Talk to me about graphics, controls, etc. Did you ever play Doom 3 regular?

- Yup, was cool seeing the differences with Bare Knuckle III. SoR3 was always one of my favorites growing up.

- I dabbled into the Vanquish demo once and bought it on the 360... was never the right mood though, but now, fuckballs I loved the crap out of it. I'd take something like that over Gears/etc anyday. It reminded me a lot of Lost Planet 1-2 and from what I understand Platinum is mostly ex-Capcom devs, so it almost seems obvious. I just loved the onslaught of gigantic boss battles and things in huge scope like that. Vanquish has the best train level I've ever played too, period. It helps that the entire game was visually awesome, loved the halo colony setting and there was always crazy stuff going on like buildings toppling over and such. It was nonstop chaos and I loved Metal Gear Rising's tone... this shit is so much better than stuff like DMC4 or Bayonetta. Who gives a shit about jr high teasing and titty jokes, Rising and Vanquish were just nonstop explosions of badass steroids in your face. I'm guessing most of the Vanquish team did Rising, I can't wait for what they do next.

- Yeah I plan to get to God Hand soon. Think I'm close to having outplayed most of the Japanese action genre... but that one is gonna rock. I only have faint memories of watching one of my friends suck at it.

- I played Doom 3 a lot and in several forms. Yes I can see how some people will easily argue the PC version still looks best and has the duct tape mod, but call me lazy or whatever you want. I got the BFG edition for the 360 and (platform aside) I'd say it's easily the best definitive version of the game. I couldn't even get into the expansions before, but enjoyed them this time around (RoE and the new Lost Mission pack, which was short but yeah still worth playing). Personally I thought some of the graphics, especially in Lost Mission, could rival Halo 4 quality. In Doom 3's case I know it's just insane textures, but man texturing doesn't get much better than this. The only thing I think doesn't age too well with the game is the the shooting... it's not nearly as fun or responsive / hit detection wise as say Half-Life 2, or FEAR, etc.

Basically I loved replaying it with this version. Longer sprinting, no more flashlight/duct tape mod crap, the lighting was fantastic and the game looked great on my 40" TV, auto-saving, bigger ammo caps, and yeah. Thumbs up if you're a fan. I kind of want to replay it again already on a harder difficulty since normal was really easy lol.

I'll check out Last of Us and GTAV when they're $10. That's been going really good for me thesedays.

Last edited by Xeogred on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:25 pm 

Well, my mother came home last night with a gift. A copy of Far Cry 3! Looking pretty forward to playing this. Having to sort through this Uplay crap is annoying, but it's no worse than Steam. Had a short look around at the mods available for it and some of them seem pretty good. Should definitely have a cool couple of weeks game-wise from here :D

I heard the gameplay is improved a lot from Far Cry 2, so that should be good. I'll miss the war-torn African setting though. That was such a badass place to set the game.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:27 am 

So, Steam Family Sharing beta has rolled out. Join this group if you want to apply for the beta.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:36 am 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
I'll miss the war-torn African setting though.

The Privilege thread would love a word with you :lol:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:31 pm 

Found this gem:

:lol:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:06 pm 

Haha yeah oldie but goodie. My favourite Dark Souls gifs:

From some guy's live stream, a really cool yet funny death:
60 FPS goodness on the Durante mod for PC:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:12 pm 

First, third and fourth are hilarious. Also, wtf? A giant mushroom?

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:15 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
The Privilege thread would love a word with you :lol:

Man, I ain't touching that thread with a 50 ft. pole. It's far too dangerous!

But seriously, war-torn Africa as a mercenary. It's a very cool idea, and as much fun as I'm having with Far Cry 3, playing as some college kid just doesn't have that same, awesome vibe. Don't get me wrong, tropical islands and guerrilla warfare are very cool too, but it just isn't the same man. The gameplay has been improved a lot though. I remember Far Cry 2 having some very grating issues and it is, of course, a very pleasant looking game.

Also, Vas is instantly likable :D

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:56 am 

Another great Dark Souls gif:

:D

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:23 am 

Far Cry 2 is probably the worst open world game I've ever played, the cool.setting was.100% wasted on boring unavoidable respawning road blocks. I have heard nothing but good.things about FC3, but I still have zero faith in the concept of randomly.generated events which seem to be a major feature.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:59 am 

FarCry 3 was an enormous improvement over 2. I really enjoyed it, though playing on normal difficulty I found the second island/half of the game far too easy - though the enemies are more difficult to take down the enhanced weapons available on the island combined with your steadily increasing physical ability throughout the game make it a roll over in a number of situations, especially eliminating outposts.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:47 am 

Anyone been playing Shadow Warrior 2013? Game's fantastic. More like Serious Sam 3 than Duke Nukem 4ever. So fun looking for secrets.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:00 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Another great Dark Souls gif:

:D

I love this

lord_ghengis wrote:
Far Cry 2 is probably the worst open world game I've ever played, the cool.setting was.100% wasted on boring unavoidable respawning road blocks. I have heard nothing but good.things about FC3, but I still have zero faith in the concept of randomly.generated events which seem to be a major feature.

I tried really hard to like that game, but it sucks too much. FC3 is way better.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:11 pm 

Never have played Dark Souls, but you guys are making it look like a riot! Devil May Cry was always one of my favorites, and I think it's similar in the sense that it's an overly difficult action game with swords :P That's juts my impression though!
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:44 pm 

Artorias is giving me a lot of trouble right now. Maybe I should try getting better at the whole roll-dodge business.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:24 pm 

people that hate on farcry 2 never played it through to the end, the game really picks up about 3/4 of the way through, and I too loved the Africa setting, I wish game designers would do more with that.
Also, Grand Theft Auto may be the biggest gimmick of a franchise in the entire video game world, It's the same fucking concept over and over and over again, go here, steal/kill something, run from cops, get money, drive around, play the dopey story mode. I work at a place that buys and sells used video games and used video game accessories (and no, it's not Gamestop) and I can usually gauge how good or bad a game is gonna be by how long it takes before someone brings a copy in to sell, it took grand theft auto V like 4 days before a copy came in, compared to FarCry 3 which was almost 2 months (I think, that was a while ago) and the Last of Us which took about 1 month. also, in comparison, people bring in new Madden games the day of release, and we usually stock up on that bullshit within a week of it's release. Same with Assassin's creed 3 and Halo 4 and the new Bioshock... Needless to say, I don't bother with most new video games anymore and if it weren't for the Elder Scrolls Online being released on these new polished turds that Microsoft and Sony are releasing in November, I would have stayed far away from an Xbox 4 or Playstation 1

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:29 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
A lot of old RTS games had great soundtracks too, though they'd maybe count as a separate category from the 16-bit soundtracks due to a much broader range of instruments and sounds available.

Who could forget this gem, for example:

this brought me back to when I was 6, I played the shit out of Red Alert 1 and 2 on the PC. Retaliation was a pretty decent expansion to the first one, though I think it only came out on PS1 and using a controller over a keyboard makes any RTS game infinitely more difficult.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:43 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Artorias is giving me a lot of trouble right now. Maybe I should try getting better at the whole roll-dodge business.

The alternate route - high stability great shield - would work just as fine, depends on your build though.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:59 pm 

I actually use a great shield. My build is pyromancy + heavy melee and that has worked out fine so far, but when I focus on blocking his attacks all the time there isn't much opportunity to get a hit at him. Eh, whatever, I'll figure something out.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:10 pm 

My brother got Dark Souls for his birthday, maybe I'll be allowed to post in this thread again at some point in the near future.

(You guys talk about the Souls games way too fucking much)
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:49 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
people that hate on farcry 2 never played it through to the end, the game really picks up about 3/4 of the way through, and I too loved the Africa setting, I wish game designers would do more with that.

So you have to play through 3/4 of the game to get to the fun part? Really? Of course I didn't get that far, because as lord_ghengis said, those infinitely respawning roadblocks made the game a fucking giant pain in the ass.

Come to think of it, I wonder if there aren't any mods to stop them from respawning (or at least drastically slow it down). I might actually finish the game then.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:04 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
people that hate on farcry 2 never played it through to the end, the game really picks up about 3/4 of the way through

lol, if it takes three goddamn quarters of the game before it gets good, it's not a good game. It's a good game for 1/4th of its duration only, so it's 75% crap. No thanks.

No idea about Far Cry as I've never played any of 'em, just speaking generally. I know some games can start out slow and be very rewarding later, but 3/4th is just absurd.

BastardHead wrote:
(You guys talk about the Souls games way too fucking much)

You can never talk too much about Dark Souls!

...Well, okay, maybe you can. Some of that time could be spent talking about Demon's Souls, after all. :nods:

inhumanist wrote:
I actually use a great shield. My build is pyromancy + heavy melee and that has worked out fine so far, but when I focus on blocking his attacks all the time there isn't much opportunity to get a hit at him. Eh, whatever, I'll figure something out.
Good luck. Artorias is probably the second hardest boss fight in the whole game. Though the one after him sometimes gives me even more trouble, depending on my build... but man those fights are intense. The way Artorias moves, even when he just walks slowly around you, is so goddamn scary. You can actually feel his intent, burning desire to destroy you. :nods:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 518, 519, 520, 521, 522, 523, 524 ... 940  Next