Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:43 pm 

Who are these people you've constructed that prefer modern games to Chrono Trigger? Line them up for derision. I don't believe they exist, though.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:47 pm 

rexxz wrote:
So I played ELEX for about 10 hours and while I do enjoy it, I still think The Witcher 3 is a way better game overall for me and one of the best RPGs in recent years. I've beaten TW3 two times already + all the DLC content, and I don't see myself coming back to ELEX to do the same.

There are many different kinds of RPGs and they don't all need to be modeled after the classics with massive branching choice dialogue options or whatever the fuck. I clearly am a massive fan of those and have played nearly all of them on the market; but there are other archetypes out there that are just as good for their own reasons. I still think Chrono Trigger is one of the best RPGs ever made and if you were to compare the game design to its contemporary peers in the western market, people would probably make the case that it pales in comparison but I think that's super foolish, and I feel the same exact way about modern titles.

Witcha' tree isn't really an RPG though, it's an open-world action brawler with mildly interactive cutscenes, much closer to a Rockstar game than an RPG. It has much better production values and writing than ELEX and arguably better combat (Witcher 3 is extremely limited compared to ELEX and it's far too easy, but there's no question the combat flows more smoothly and is much nicer to look at), but as an RPG? I fail to see it, but would be interested to be shown the light.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:17 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Who are these people you've constructed that prefer modern games to Chrono Trigger? Line them up for derision. I don't believe they exist, though.

I feel like most people I know who are into gaming IRL are people who love Call of Duty and Skyrim and GTA and have never played games like Chrono Trigger.

:(
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:20 am 

Anyone on PC got Nioh yet?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:23 am 

Oh shit, it's on PC now? Damn I have been out of it on the vidya gaming news that isn't complaining about lootboxes or Visceral's closure.

I don't have it yet...but soon, once I have the cash.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:03 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

I feel like most people I know who are into gaming IRL are people who love Call of Duty and Skyrim and GTA and have never played games like Chrono Trigger.

:(

Statistically likely since COD/GTA have outsold most games. I actually haven't played it, either, but I hate turn-based RPGs.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:03 am 

Hahah yeah I sort of assumed he was speaking strictly of people who ENJOY RPGs.

I played HLD for roughly 3 hours last night back tracking to areas I've already been, now that I have a better eye for secret rooms/upgrade chips/keys. I still seem to be missing something really basic in the Western dungeon. It's like I can't find my way back to a door that I previously didn't have enough triangle-clout to open. I think I could now. Trying really hard to avoid getting any direct help from guides/walkthroughs.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:50 am 

Just a reminder that Wolfenstein: The New Colossus has some of the best story beats of any game in a good long while, and handles extremely tough subjects with the gravity they deserve. It's weird to say that, considering we're fucking talking about B.J. Blazkowicz, but it's the goddamn truth.

Play it if you haven't.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:22 pm 

It's not really that weird to anyone who played The New Order/The Old Blood, I reckon.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:28 pm 

I'm going to get it soon. I've seen a few of the cut scenes and it looked great. I loved The New Order and have been looking forward to the sequel since it was announced.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:15 am 

I like how the game skips a proper buildup/first act and feels like a relatively straightforward continuation of The New Order, right where it left off.
And holy shit, talk about villain building, you have some genuine adversarial vibes coming from miss Engel, to say the least...
I also like how the dialogue, compared to The New Order, is written to sound much more topical, but never out of place, which I first noticed with the flashback to BJ's childhood.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:59 am 

for Xbone players - Recore got a definitive edition/patch for those who own it about a month or so back. really improves the game, like drastically. and highly recommend it for 20 bucks. nice Metroid Prime/platforming feel. The controls are incredibly tight, the art direction is neat, and with the addition of the tank robot, traversing long sands is easy and even fun. 7/10

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:26 pm 

Picked up Mass Effect Andromeda last night for $20. Got a couple hours in today and it's alright so far.

Question for those more familiar with the series:
I've heard Andromeda has a better combat system than the others, but I still find it sluggish compared to other games I play. Are the others really that lousy at combat?

Enjoying it overall so far, but damn glad I didn't drop full price on it.

darkeningday wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:05 pm 

Weird, how do you find Andromeda combat sluggish? It's honestly almost too fast for me on the higher difficulty settings lol. That directional dodge thing is just insane, and when coupled with the profile system that you can switch out mid-combat...

Not a fanboy, I never even finished Andromeda despite shelling out full-price for it. But I thought the combat was about as close to perfect as TPSs get.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:45 pm 

Mass Effect's combat, since 3, has been fairly fast and snappy. For Andromeda, there's definitely some sluggishness on the jumping and dashing. If you find fine-aiming to be difficult, there's been dozens of reports of some game-wide input lag that BioWare uses. [source.] I have no idea if it's been fixed, but I played the PlayStation 4 version near release and felt the input lag.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:51 pm 

Towerfall Ascension is super stupid fun as a co-op game.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:45 pm 

It might be the input lag then

darkeningday wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:02 am 

So I want to start a Dark Souls game. PS4 is my only option. The online store has DS2 and 3. Any thoughts? I've come to enjoy a challenge lately, even if it's been exclusively in 2D format. All the Souls hype gets to me and I like the atmosphere the games seem to carry.

I found a youtube video called "In Defense of Dark Souls 2" which makes it sound like people didn't enjoy it as much? Or were letdown somehow? He made some fair points and it looks fun to me. Dark Souls 3 gets to me with the ridiculously huge boss fights I've seen though. I dig that scale. I guess "get both" is the answer but I wasn't sure if starting with one over the other would make more sense.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:20 am 

Jonpo wrote:
So I want to start a Dark Souls game. PS4 is my only option. The online store has DS2 and 3. Any thoughts? Should I hunt down an even older version to familiarize? I've come to enjoy a challenge lately, even if it's been exclusively in 2D format. All the Souls hype gets to me and I like the atmosphere the games seem to carry.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!
(Please, read with the cadence of the popular line "Im-ho-teph" from The Mummy)

I didn't play all the 3 (i don't have a ps4 and i played in bits with a friend) but i would suggest you that instead of the 2 (wich is still really good, but it has worse hitboxes and some really unfair area/bosses)

The 1 is still the king for me, in particular the first half.. if you find a way to get it without spending too much it should be your top priority! :)

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:23 am 

DS3 is super, super fluid, has amazing boss fights and has the Ringed City, which is a spectacular DLC, like, really really good. It's more of what made the first game great with little variation - save the gigantic landscapes.

DS2 is good, don't let people tell you that it's not. Scholar of the First Sin is fantastic and has my favorite boss in the series (The Burnt Ivory King) and one of my favorite designed areas (Crown of Dat Old Ass Iron King) - HOWEVER, it does a lot of things differently, and controls way more like a 3D action game than a Souls game, there are some really bullshit areas (The Black Gulch is fucking stupid, fuck off, and some of the DLC arenas are just fucking trash), weapons degrade extremely fast, and the death system is really punishing. But, the story is much better than 3 I think, and it has amazing character creation - I've made some attractive women in 3 but it is far easier to make a less ugly person in 2.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:53 am 

My son and I finished Divinity: Original Sin, finally, on PS4. I think we generally enjoyed the game, despite it's frequent frustrations, bugs, and all-too-often brutally unfair battles. There was some fun stuff in there.

I hope the second one is better and comes to the PS4 at some point.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:58 am 

Damn. It really does sound like I'm going to just end up having to buy both. I love the sounds of the character creation and darker atmosphere of DS2. But I do get really caught up in combat mechanics so if DS3 just "feels" that much better it may end up winning me over. I'm likely going to start with 2 just because it's a little cheaper.

The first one...I think my mom actually has an XBOX360 she isn't using. Are copies of DS1 outrageous these days then?

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:40 pm 

Not at all, if you already have the console you can find the version with the dlc really cheap :) (bought mine for 15€)

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:52 pm 

Oh that is fucking rad. She just confirmed I can basically borrow it in perpetuum. Did you order yours online? I figure like amazon or Gamestop or something is probably my best bet?

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:57 pm 

I got it at my local gamestop, but i think that amazon will work too! :) the one you should get is the "Prepare to Die" edition, wich has included the really, really good dlc

Edit: uhm, the prices raised up a bit since the last time i checked, but its still well worth getting

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:14 pm 

Has anybody ever beat Final Fantasy game? I know it is a dumb question but that damn game is difficult.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:23 pm 

The original? It's not so much difficult as it is tedious and grindy, but yeah, I've beaten it. I've never bothered with any of the gimmicky group comps because fuck that.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:46 pm 

Jonpo - welcome to the club! :) You could also start with Bloodborne if you have a PS4, though I wonder if it'd be hard to go back to the more methodical/slower combat style of Dark Souls after the fact.

They're all worth playing, of course. #totallynotbiased

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:56 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
The original? It's not so much difficult as it is tedious and grindy, but yeah, I've beaten it. I've never bothered with any of the gimmicky group comps because fuck that.

I've beaten both the NES version and the Dawn of Souls version. I recommend the latter if you want a bit more fun experience and the former if you want a bit more authentic experience.

Last edited by ~Guest 226319 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:19 pm 

Well, god damn. I've already died so much in DS2 I'm tempted to start over? I've basically done nothing except die. They definitely don't give you much in the way of bumper lanes or guard rails. I found myself in a huge structure full of fuck-off huge knights. Ran from them, into their boss. Died.

Mostly I just kept dying to the same hippo swamp troll and now my swordsman looks like a zombie and my health bar half-life is wrecked.

Can't wait to kill that bulbous fucker. Just requires a little patience.

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:48 am 

No reason to restart in DS2; you'll probably end up playing most of the game at either 50% or 75% hollow anyways.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:28 am 

Bah! I'm sure you're right I just feel like if I could start fresh with a sack full of healing gems I'd do so much better this time around.

Man I'm so tragic. Figured a few things out. Its so backwards that I just realized I'm playing 3D Salt and Sanctuary. I realize which really inspired which, of course.

You can skirt around the hippo swamp trolls. I'm gonna fuck him up though. Soon.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:27 am 

yeah if an enemy is too hard go somewhere else. Eventually you get a ring that stops the health bar from going down past a certain point which can be nice.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:20 am 

haha Christ, that's exactly me when I first got DS2. Just couldn't stop dying, felt like I was in a total rut. Took me WAY longer than you'd expect to beat the Pursuer (the boss I think you're talking about).
One kinda-cheating trick is to kill the enemies in the area about 7 times and they won't respawn, then you can run straight to the boss zones. I think that's the only way I got through the early stages of the game on my first run, AND if you play your cards right you can level up a bit along the way, or at least buy a heap of lifegems (because of COURSE you don't get many estus refills until you're already far along enough to know what you're doing anyway haha).
DS2 is also harder than the rest because the controls are so.... sluggish. Feels like the character is constantly in a vat of molasses. No idea how the dudes who play at over 70% load get anywhere.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:16 am 

Yup, the Ds2 beginning is suffering :( the main issue with it is getting a decent weapon you feel comfortable with and find a decent shield: what are you using right now?

If you need spoiler-free tips feel free to ask! :)

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:17 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
My son and I finished Divinity: Original Sin, finally, on PS4. I think we generally enjoyed the game, despite it's frequent frustrations, bugs, and all-too-often brutally unfair battles. There was some fun stuff in there.

I hope the second one is better and comes to the PS4 at some point.

I thought its combat and encounter design was its single best feature... The battles were a blast and balanced perfectly, especially on Tactitian difficulty, which imho is the new gold standard for difficulty in turn-based RPGs. So odd you found it "brutally unfair," I wonder if it's endemic to the PS4 version.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:31 am 

Man! No suffering at all in DS2 for me! It was just the normal learning curve. I tend to figure things out the hard way in these games, even despite a "semi-cautious" play style. It really was just as simple as realizing it's Salt & Sanctuary 3D for me though. Everything clicked. The lesser mobs are easy to kill/grind, sometimes you gotta run from big shit until you're ready, and usually you can find the boss but not engage them until you're ALL THE WAY ready. I'm mad comfy in the DS world now I think, got my footing. I did find a shield which is nice, I chose Swordsman to start just because I assumed they'd be all about a parry/riposte but I wasn't quite on the money there I don't think? Still fun. I love all the options to dual-wield, sword/shield, 2-hand scimitar.

I can already tell I'm going to create 1,000 characters. Watching someone play a bow-only guy on DS2 was very exciting. Those roll-shots are bad ass.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:40 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
Has anybody ever beat Final Fantasy game? I know it is a dumb question but that damn game is difficult.

I never beat it. I remember getting to the final boss and being real put off by the fact that he had this whole list of spells that were unattainable to me that were doing huge damage to my group. I remember one of them was called "Swirly" and being REAL salty about how laughable that spell was.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:28 am 

RE: DS2

yeah it rewards fast attacks and daring stunts. I use quality builds cause intelligence and faith are for fucking nerds. With my Scholar of the First Sin file, I went through every area until the enemies stopped respawning and after I beat the final boss I just walked from the throne, to a (mostly) empty land. Was eerie and amazing.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:31 am 

Oh wow so they literally NEVER come back once you make an area "clear"? I assumed there was some kind of reset. Or maybe there is and you stopped that from happening.

I can't stop watching Top 10 lists on the page of "SunlightBlade". The PVP moments are so fucking sick. "Top 10 Skill Kills" is unbelievable. I can't wait to get better at this game. I've learned from watching people play each other that I can be a LOT more bold with backstep/roll. Does backstepping grant invincibility frames the same as a dodge-roll?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 831, 832, 833, 834, 835, 836, 837 ... 940  Next