Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:56 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Hah, well, they aren't as extensive I'd say....

Really appreciate the character customization breakdown for both Nioh and Bloodborne. It's pretty obvious at this point I'm going to end up owning/playing both. I'm still taking it pretty slow with Dark Souls 2. I figure these games are only going to get cheaper as I wait.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:05 pm 

NieR: Automata thoughts? I'm going a bit overkill lately, I know. Been spending a lot of time reading/researching games I want to play and for some reason this one keeps coming back up. Obviously I'm a bit wary of modern games, but I feel like I'm starting to find my stride there as well. The combat looks fun as hell, the visuals speak to me, and little things like the way it occasionally throws a side-scrolling moment or bullet hell challenge is kinda neat.

The Skill Up review on YT calls it a flat-out masterpiece, must-have. I'm not sure it's going to resonate with me on that level but it is pretty convincing all the same.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:54 pm 

I played the demo and hated it so much, I found not a single redeeming value to it. So a big fat nay from me :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:44 pm 

Yo, guys, check out this video on the topic of graphic quality vs. animation quality and other such related thingajigs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... zE-J1rK1NQ

It's pretty spiffy.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:41 pm 

So I just got an email telling me that there is a free (with IAP of course) Amon Amarth game on the Android store. Looks like a retro platformer in the vein of Ghosts n Goblins.

Swedish developer so I'm guessing they would have worked closely with the band to some extent. Midi soundtrack of some classic AA songs apparently. Eh, I'll check it out I guess - my hopes aren't high but it has some decent reviews so far.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:18 am 

Morrigan: Well, that's decisive.

Couldn't resist Necropolis any longer. Or as I'm calling it now, Cute Souls. Highly recommended. Very creative distilling of some of Souls most fun aspects, mixed with quirky design and a little humor. Don't let that fool you though. Its serious bidness. So god damn mad when I died on my first run. It gets intense and playing with headphones heightens that majorly. Well worth $30.

PS Rocket League is now Rocket Souls. I can't and won't be stopped.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:24 am 

The main thing to me that makes the Souls games different from many other games is not the difficulty in and of itself (which most times stays at least fair as long as you are concentrated and observant), but its various systems of "forced commitment". When you do a run to a boss and walk through the light you KNOW it's getting serious and you'll be set back quite some time when you fail. This creates tension and forces you to stay truly immersed and concentrated, whereas in other games you can just quicksave and try again, sometimes even mid-battle. There is always a safety net, taking away tension and danger. If you want a really "soulslike" experience in other games, you have to force commitment on yourself.
For example: Only use autosaves or save only once at the beginning of the dungeon/level and never quickload when something doesn't go exactly ideal and just generally stick to the sentence "I will try to prevent harm the best I can, but if I do get into a suboptimal situation I will continue to make the best out of it and never give up easily". How strict you are and what tension and excitement you experience really comes down to how you choose to approach the game's safety nets. Dark souls has a forceful application of this psychology down perfectly, creating even more tension after death when it's time to retrieve those precious souls. But it can be created in other games when using some discipline and thought in how you approach saving. Games that only support very forgiving checkpoints are the worst for this approach, but games that have all types of save systems (like the half life series for example), can be used perfectly like that.

The most unforgiving situations are those with no save systems at all, mixed with high stakes and little room for error. I genuinely freak out over (well-organized...) online racing in my racing sims because its too hard for me to bear the tension over a greater span of laps. I just decided it's too much and I should stick to single player instead. Doom's Ultra nightmare mode with campaign-spanning permadeath is another example: I did it, but it was too much stress and too little fun.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:45 pm 

I think you're just musing in a general sense and I agree, with what little experience I've had so far. I'm finding that I really enjoy games that make you figure things out, coupled with that "one more try" nagging feeling. A main character who's rad is still a must.

To confirm: Necropolis is high stakes and rewards paced exploration and thought-out combat plans. When you're dead you start all over. It's so fun but god damn I hate dying.

Grabbed some random shit on sale. Horizon Zero Dawn, NieR (we'll see, its been fun so far), Terraria...

Super late edit: Forgot I snagged DS3 while its on sale. Didn't even download yet because I'm too enveloped in 2. Also Unravel which is a drop dead gorgeous, heartfelt little puzzle platformer. Very fun to unwind with after all the swordplay and death.

Last edited by Jonpo on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:34 pm 

Yes, just randomly musing along. Have fun with Nier Automata, I can't comment on it myself too much but heard good things about it, except from Morrigan who is a notorious hater of almost anything Platinum games put out as I recall, but yeah I don't know... I only really played vanquish and that was pretty ace.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:46 pm 

Uhhhh I think I just had my first authentic DS2 experience. Keep in mind I'm bad at this game, and have been taking it pretty slow. I've opened up a few areas but haven't fought any bosses yet. I successfully ran from one earlier though!

Anyways, back to the story...my hands are actually shaking as I type this. I was minding my own business, killing some mobs in an area I just opened up, I was actually zoomed in with a bow figuring out how to use it when I got notice that my game had been invaded. I turned around to see a bright red guy, mostly naked, but with a HUGE fuckoff sword run past me. I don't know the names of any areas but I'm in some broken down castle type deal with a flame-lizard pit. I was shooting at the archers in the "grotto" on the rooftops.

I decided to just ignore him because I could tell at a glance he was going to wreck me. I hoped that by continuing to fight mobs I would appear unhostile. He watched me and waved while I killed a few. I did the "No Way" gesture a few times and then he rolled at me in a menacing way. I immediately ran back into the small room with a center-pillar and switched to my Scimitar (+2, watch out!) and two handed. His giant sword SUCKED in that room. I roll-dodged most of his attacks and landed my own much faster but much weaker counter-combos. I had to run away and heal once but I eventually dropped him in a very close duel.

I appreciate him not one-shotting me from behind while I was doing target practice. That was unbelievably fun and ridiculously tense. When I landed my first combo and saw how much health it dropped off him I got so excited, realized I had a real chance. I was still pretty blown away when I won.

But uh, I also don't know how any of this works. Is that just going to...happen...sometimes? I honestly thought until I joined a covenant that I was safe. One of you Souls vets wanna break this down for me?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:56 pm 

Welcome to PvP, Jonpo! Glad to know you had fun during your first invasion; generally speaking, popping that particular cherry is a much more painful experience for new Souls players :lol:

But yes, PvP combat is seamlessly integrated into the game, and unless you're playing offline, you can be invaded any time. In DS1 you could only be invaded (and summon other players) if you were in human form, but in DS it can happen even while undead, and thus when you're more vulnerable, because you still can't summon players when in that state, plus your health bar is reduced. Covenants simply spice up the online components of the game, with some being developed especially with PvP in mind (Rat Covenant FTW). I suggest googling the different covenants and what each one entails, because just like with everything else, you don't get much info on their exact mechanics in the game itself :-P

GianfrancoArezo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:59 am 

My favourite games are the Megaman X's Trilogy from Super Nintendo.

The three games have a deep story with sacrifices for their friends, personal growth and peace restoration plans.

The soundtracks are AMAZING, one of the best games in terms of music.
Megaman X is not too metalish but has more metalish soundtracks like Storm Eagle, Spark Mandrill and the Intro Stage.
Megaman X2's soundtracks are much more heavy and have a very noticeable and present bass like can be listened in Counter Hunter's, Morph Moth and Flame Stag Stage.
Megaman X3 is very classic metal. With plenty of power chords and shredding. Excelent examples are Gravity Beetle, Toxic Seahorse, 1st Sigma's Stage and Zero's Theme.

Storm Eagle's Stage: (X)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht7YJptvt_w

Counter Hunter's Stage: (X2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQSYlTTUQdI

Gravity Beetle's Stage: (X3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLi3QVuuQHk

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:09 am 

Thanks man! That's good enough for now. It adds a layer of intensity for sure. Haven't had another since, still can't believe I won. The bow has been huge. Upgraded it twice, cheesed like 7 thousand souls off the swamp rhino monster in Forest of Fallen Giants or whatever the hell it's called. Just stood in the tunnel out of his reach and pelted him with 3x combos. I probably got like 10k total including items that turn into souls. That whole area where you descend from the tower (flame lizard) is so easy now. I realized I'm not a shield guy. I'm a two-hand, dodge, soften them with ranged kinda rogue.

Horizon Zero Dawn is fully legit. Especially when you unlock a few skills. The stealth kill is so damn fun. Changes everything. The quests make sense. I've barely started. Had a lot of fun doing every side thing presented and hunting just to play with new skills.

That little girl you start out as is a neckless monster. It was a huge relief to montage into my teens or whatever

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:08 pm 

Wait, so in your very first brush with the Souls series you just decided "meh, I'm not a shield guy"? Huge props, dude.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:07 pm 

Hahah I just kind of suck at being a tank. Never played any games that way intentionally. But I've watched enough people play on Twitch and YT that I realize the shield might be necessary in some areas. Everyone I watch do PvE online pretty much just continuously sidesteps and looks for backstabs. I'm tragic at getting those to start on a moving target. Is there a trick?

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:31 am 

This is so cool.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:23 am 

I've played all 3 Dark Souls games and I've used a shield in every one of em. Not a hardcore enough fan to do more than one playthrough. Going without a shield as a noob like me sounds pretty rough.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:20 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Hahah I just kind of suck at being a tank. Never played any games that way intentionally. But I've watched enough people play on Twitch and YT that I realize the shield might be necessary in some areas.

Nah, I wouldn't say they're ever "necessary" per se. I've beaten DS II and III with no shields at all, so it's perfectly doable as long as your patience and masochistic tendencies are up to snuff against the added challenge (and the resultant frustrations). It's arguably the more fun to play otherwise: the risk is higher, but so is the reward. Dunno about first playthrough of a Souls game ever, though, you might have bitten more than you could chew. Or maybe not? Just do you, I guess, just don't forget that the option is there if you feel close to rage-quitting or something.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:32 pm 

Yeah I didn't mean to make it sound like I've sworn an oath against the shield. I have one and will equip it whenever it seems optimal. On future plays who knows. I definitely want to build up a few characters for PVP alone.

My favorite thing about this game is how things that felt difficult a few days or hours ago become so easy. Figured out the timing on the first few knights in Heides and now it feels like fighting overgrown children. Still can't backstab them though.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:43 pm 

Sorry for all the journal entry posts. I've fallen in love with the rapier. I have the rapier and short bow both plus 3, and my Dex is by far my highest stat. Its fun poking huge guys to death.

I gotta get over my fear of bosses though. Still haven't really engaged one. I'm also still rocking my original armor. I think the guy on the floor in Majula may offer lighter armor options.

Is there anything to do with cool stuff I've found that I can't use? I've got some rad stuff for a strength character. Would love to use it on a different build.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:34 am 

Rapier is very strong, it can easily carry you through the whole game, even if i'm not a fan of the tracking :)

Armor in pve is.. partially useless :lol:
with physical damage you will notice a difference only with the heaviest sets, mostly the elemental resistances matter :) (with my high ng character i used light armor with high resistances)
..so i would suggest to choose armors by their look and the elemental resistances and don't worry too much about them, souls are better invested in weapons

For the weapons really depends on how you feel about them: i tend to use heavier ones on mobs (for the stunlock capability) and lighter ones on bosses (fast recovery and low stamina usage)

Right now i'm trying to end my sl1 run using axes, wich are quite incredible in both damage and stunlock

Pricer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:48 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Welcome to PvP, Jonpo! Glad to know you had fun during your first invasion; generally speaking, popping that particular cherry is a much more painful experience for new Souls players :lol:

But yes, PvP combat is seamlessly integrated into the game, and unless you're playing offline, you can be invaded any time. In DS1 you could only be invaded (and summon other players) if you were in human form, but in DS it can happen even while undead, and thus when you're more vulnerable, because you still can't summon players when in that state, plus your health bar is reduced. Covenants simply spice up the online components of the game, with some being developed especially with PvP in mind (Rat Covenant FTW). I suggest googling the different covenants and what each one entails, because just like with everything else, you don't get much info on their exact mechanics in the game itself :-P

As if Souls games needed any extra difficulty… Kidding aside, I love it. They really implemented PvP well.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:06 pm 

Maaaaan I love this fucking game. Thank you guys for endlessly engaging me about it. Just summoned some help and crushed the Dragonslayer at Heides. It was laughably easy with help. I think I probably could have done it solo.

I've got 15000 souls to spend and a dilemma. I could level up 3 times. Or I could snag the ring that limits falling damage and jump in that fucking giant hole in Majula. I can see there are items the whole way down. I'm torn.

Fuck it. I leveled up.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:49 pm 

Is it pointless to dual wield a rapier and scimitar? I can actually dual-wield now. Seems neat. But I'm doing slashing motions with a rapier.

Edit: I just killed that dragon at Heides with a bow. Attrition. Being the kind of mob that can't leave his stoop is gonna result in some cheesiness.

Old Dragonslayer got dealt with in one attempt. I'm a bit proud. Took every estus jug and a few more heals to do it though.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:46 am 

Guys.... guys.

I need a hug. Or many hugs. Or someone to tell me I'm gonna be okay. :(

A Fond Farewell to Demon’s Souls’ Servers - After 8 Years, we say goodbye…

End of an era. RIP.

Adriankat wrote:
This is so cool.

Daaaamn that's cool indeed. Really impressive animation.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:16 am 

Well that's a heart breaker. I had honestly hoped I might still have a chance to go back even further and play Demon's Souls.

This weekend I learned that one weapon just isn't going to work in every situation. My +5 rapier is beastly but The Lost Bastille taught me that some situations call for a bit more distance between me and a group of enemies. I kept getting bum-rushed by like 7 or 8 of those Royal Swordsman. Eventually I switched to my +2 Winged Spear and lured them through a chokepoint where I could hit all of them at once. Literally didn't take any damage. It's so fun to figure things out and play with strategy on this game.

I also went hunting for some "secrets" because I was bored and stumbled my way onto the full Drangleic Set with the sword. That sword is fucking BANANAS. I just got my STR up high enough to use it, and then I went ahead and reinforced it with the Twinkling Titanite I got off some boss. It hits for like 190 +90 or something stupid. And it's honestly pretty fast when I use it two-handed. I don't really understand why it DEX scales instead of STR but I'm so glad it does.

edit: I'm trying very hard to play through this game without any "REAL" help from the internet. IE no looking up how to get to places, which way to go, general walkthrough stuff. I don't mind asking little tips here and there from you guys but I'm out and out avoiding walkthroughs. They just ruin this type of game. That being said, I seem to have missed No Man's Wharf completely somehow.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:02 pm 

Boy howdy is the opening segment of Wolfenstein II harsh. Racism and child abuse and animal abuse and psychotic Nazis and friends being butchered.

No wonder BJ Blazkowicz so ragey against the bad guys.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:19 am 

Hey uh so I got invaded and killed over and over. I left the house for like 45 minutes came home fire it back up and he's literally still there waiting for me. Is this normal? Seems like the second I would regather my souls he would immediately invade and be right on top of me again.

Is this it? Do I just start a new life?

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:17 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Hey uh so I got invaded and killed over and over. I left the house for like 45 minutes came home fire it back up and he's literally still there waiting for me. Is this normal? Seems like the second I would regather my souls he would immediately invade and be right on top of me again.

Really? Where are you currently? If you are playing Scholar of the First Sin, it could be the Forlorn NPC invader? He pops up in a few places and can be tough early on. If it's not that guy, then... I dunno, seems weird.

Also, I say get the Cat ring. It's cool even if it's expensive, but beware the gaping hole in Majula, death and terror await below (and freakin' loot man!).

My collection

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:57 am 

Playing Bioshockl Infinite: A Burial at Sea DLC these days, amazing.
Love all the original games, but never played this dlc.
Got the Collection pack on PS4.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:50 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

Really? Where are you currently? If you are playing Scholar of the First Sin, it could be the Forlorn NPC invader? He pops up in a few places and can be tough early on. If it's not that guy, then... I dunno, seems weird.

Also, I say get the Cat ring. It's cool even if it's expensive, but beware the gaping hole in Majula, death and terror await below (and freakin' loot man!).

Yeah I'm playing First Sin. I was in Forest of Fallen Giants, backtracking for the way to No-man's Wharf. Which I'm pretty sure I had found. I'm a bit overpowered for the area because I kinda missed it by taking the bird-ride after the first Pursuer fight. I think I would have wrecked most any NPC in that area, especially after the first or second try. He killed me like...4 or 5 times last night. It seemed like he would leave my game and then immediately warp back the SECOND I touched my souls. I'm 100% sure he wasn't an NPC though. He was using some magic greatsword spell, and another that was like a homing missile kinda deal. I almost killed him once, one more hit would have done it but I mistimed a chug horribly and he killed me, again.

The very last time I managed to grab my souls and warp to Majula before I got any kind of notice about being invaded. I hope it's over hahah. That was a nightmare and literally ran me off my own game. But at the same time I want to fight him again? I just never knew when he was going to pop out and I wasn't set up for PvP at all really, while he clearly was on a PvP build.

I definitely want that cat ring. I want to know what's in that hole! Right now I'm using Cloranthy, the ring that slowly recovers HP, the one that makes more souls drop per kill, and the Ring of Blades.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:28 am 

Morrigan wrote:

It's my favourite innovation from DS2, and it's... not remotely explained ANYWHERE in the game. :lol: Dammit, From.

I learnt this accidentally by watching a Youtube video after having more than 180 hours into the game. Hell, I needed to watch several videos to understand most of the basic mechanics (DS2, SotFS is my first Souls series game though)

On that same note, and hoping not to derail the thread that much, does DS1 feel much of a downgrade from DS2 gameplay, atmosphere and mechanics-wise?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:25 pm 

DS1 probably has better atmosphere. Not sure what it'd be like going backwards in terms of gameplay and mechanics, but it's certainly not going to be horrible. Fairly similar, at least to me as a DS noob.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:15 pm 

That invader was Armourer Dennis, wasn't he? 100% an NPC. He's rather strong for the area he's in, yes.

Thexhumed wrote:
On that same note, and hoping not to derail the thread that much, does DS1 feel much of a downgrade from DS2 gameplay, atmosphere and mechanics-wise?

Nah. You're gonna miss a few QoL improvements, but it has otherwise "aged" just fine. Atmosphere-wise it's arguably better in some places, though DS2 has some truly great and atmospheric areas too.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:01 pm 

Omg he was an NPC?!? That's crazy. How did I get so destroyed? IM SO MAD RIGHT NOW LOLOL

THAT IS FUCKING AMAZING. WHAT A GAME! I am so stupid.

I even went through my PSN logs of "players met" and was mystified that I couldn't find anyone from DS2. I couldn't remember his exact name. I can't stop giggling and hating myself and feeling so silly. What a fucking ridiculously amazing game. I'm one or two shotting most everything in that area. He really is no joke.

Beat him. Immediately. Easily. Knowing he wasn't real changes my whole mindset. Sad! Hahaha thank you Morrigan. I am a child learning to walk.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:32 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
though DS2 has some truly great and atmospheric areas too.

What are some of your favorites?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:11 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Omg he was an NPC?!? That's crazy. How did I get so destroyed? IM SO MAD RIGHT NOW LOLOL

THAT IS FUCKING AMAZING. WHAT A GAME! I am so stupid.

I even went through my PSN logs of "players met" and was mystified that I couldn't find anyone from DS2. I couldn't remember his exact name. I can't stop giggling and hating myself and feeling so silly. What a fucking ridiculously amazing game. I'm one or two shotting most everything in that area. He really is no joke.

Beat him. Immediately. Easily. Knowing he wasn't real changes my whole mindset. Sad! Hahaha thank you Morrigan. I am a child learning to walk.

Hahahaha

Don't feel bad! Armorer Dennis is an asshole and his spells are really strong, particularly for the area he's in. He's killed me before too. The NPC invaders in Dark Souls are a bit of a joke, but in DS2, especially Scholar, a lot of them are seriously difficult (wait til you meet *Mauldron the Assassin.... :lol:).

Thexhumed wrote:
What are some of your favorites?

My very favourite areas in DS2 (both for gameplay/exploration, and for atmosphere): No Man's Wharf, Lost Bastille, Iron Keep, Huntsman's Copse, Brume Tower, Shulva, Frozen Eleum Loyce.

For purely their atmosphere or environmental/artistic design (not so much gameplay, or less so): Shrine of Amana, the Gutter, Dragon Aerie/Shrine, Doors of Pharros, Drangleic Castle
For gameplay/exploration but less so for atmosphere/artistic design: Huntsman Copse (the skybox is ~beautiful~ though), Forest of Fallen Giants, Earthen Peak

* Mauldron:
Spoiler: show
His AI is like a PvP troll. Except somehow even more annoying. The Eleum Loyce version is the worst.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:09 am 

Just seeing Mauldron's name again is enough to make me seethe. As glad as I am that DS3 took an approach to NPC invaders more like 2 than 1, I'm even more glad that nothing like Mauldron shows up.

Surprised to see Shrine of Amana on your "mostly for atmosphere" list; that's one of the best playing areas of the game, IMO, along with Iron Keep (vanilla, fuck the cheesy Scholar enemy placement), Huntsman's Copse, and Brightstone Cove Tseldora.

Honestly, I think that DS1 is a huge downgrade from DS2 mechanics-wise. Much worse character system balance (Endurance...), and generally kind of janky play control (although, admittedly, I've only played the PC versions which is the worst version DS1 and best version of DS2). DS3 kinda stomps them both into the ground in terms of overall polish, though (although I do really miss power-stancing from DS2 and the 2-handed R2 on Greathammers that DS2 has).

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:21 am 

Amana is rather linear and the enemy placement is a bit meh. The boss looks cool but is too easy. I don't hate playing it, but I do enjoy it for its atmosphere more than its gameplay.

I don't like Brightstone Cove Tseldora much. It's better in Scholar, at least, thanks to the torch mechanic repelling the spiders, but I don't like how clunky it is to explore everything since you have to warp back to the bonfire and all. And it's kinda ugly-looking. The humanoid spider creatures also have a shitty hitbox. The boss is cool though.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:05 am 

i know its not the most recent game but what do people think of hand of fate 2? i am not really into the cardish games but it does look pretty good

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 833, 834, 835, 836, 837, 838, 839 ... 940  Next