Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:59 am 

That From trailer really looks like a new Shadow Tower. Also, Miyazaki has said in the past that he wants to make a game that would work in VR, which means first person, which means either Shadow Tower or King's Field.

I'd be totally hyped for a Shadow Tower 3; Shadow Tower Abyss is From's single best game IMO.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:23 pm 

MammothRider wrote:
I'll be getting Dark Souls 3 in today. I'm looking forward to playing it, as the last time I played a Souls game was the first DS years ago. Hopefully I'm not completely trash at it, haha.

Good move! I've had it downloaded/installed for weeks now but I'm still trying not to touch it until I complete at least ONE playthrough of DS2. I'm genuinely worried that I'll love DS3 more and not go back hahah. On the other hand, I want to start getting into PVP and the DS3 community seems a lot more active, even if it's also waning a bit.

Edit: I just found the sex change coffin in DS2. What an amazing game. Truly. I'm mystified by the simple genius of it all. From timing memorization to leaving nigh-on-incomprehensible notes for comrades.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:34 pm 

The PSN flash sale got me. Nioh Complete Edition is 29.99 right now. Loving it so far but literally just started.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:41 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
The PSN flash sale got me. Nioh Complete Edition is 29.99 right now. Loving it so far but literally just started.

Whoa, shit! I've been trying not to play too many video games lately but it's so hard when there's so much good shit going on right now! I should probably snag that and save it for later but I know that if I get it I'll just start it :-P

I started checking out the brand new Breath of the Wild DLC last night, anyone else? Seems cool so far!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:35 pm 

Man, you gotta snag it if your money situation allows. I decided to go ahead and start. I mean hey its not technically a Souls game right?

It's been so fun. The combat feels really smooth, ultra responsive. I liked the stripped down options for character customization at the "beginning". Playing DS2 prepared me though. I've explored every nook and cranny that I can find so far, to some fun results.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:13 pm 

Oh it's been on my radar since before it came out. Ninja Gaiden (2004) is one of my favourite games ever and I've heard this is a stellar return to form for Team Ninja. I just don't think I want to dedicate myself to anther Souls-type game at this very moment, but still, I should probably take advantage of that sale.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:54 pm 

Cynical wrote:
That From trailer really looks like a new Shadow Tower. Also, Miyazaki has said in the past that he wants to make a game that would work in VR, which means first person, which means either Shadow Tower or King's Field.

The sound of this makes me sad :(

Not too keen on first person view in games like these (never played Shadow Tower or King's Field), as the third person perspective just seems more natural and well, just better IMO.

My collection

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:53 am 

Kings Field is hilarious looking. Like a pen and paper dungeon crawler given unto life by way of the original Doom. The soundtrack was 10/10 perfect from what I heard. You can spot the seed of Souls in it.

God damn Nioh. God damn! Fighting Revenants is so addicting. The odachi/dual sword combo is my jam. Just sheathing an odachi makes you feel like a boss.

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:43 pm 

I've never been able to stomach KF or the PS1 Shadow Tower, but anyone who doesn't grab the fanpatch and play Abyss is doing themselves a major disservice. The game absolutely rules. Easily From's best. The resource management makes it tense as hell, and the atmosphere is so weird and compelling, like Alien meets Tomb of Horrors.

Also, slashing the limbs off of monsters and them changing their patterns based on what they lost is awesome.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:06 pm 

Horizon: Zero Dawn is GOTY for me.

Especially, after how clanky Elex was on PS4 the controls and combat were so much fun and such a breath of fresh air.

I really got into the story and Aloy has to be one of my favorite video game characters in a long time.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:16 pm 

I LOVE what I've played of it so far! I agree that the combat and controls are buttery. Roll-dodging from a charging robo-beast, only to set up and land a critically placed arrow just doesn't seem to get old. Stealth kills are also a total blast for me.

I think my favorite thing about it though, really, is the contrast it provides to stuff like Souls and Nioh and Salt and Sanctuary and all these fucking HEAVY, punishing games. Games that abuse you for not being good enough. I've really been leaning on Horizon Zero Dawn and Specter Knight for a huge dose of colorful FUN when I'm down in the dumps because I suck at something else.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:20 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I LOVE what I've played of it so far! I agree that the combat and controls are buttery. Roll-dodging from a charging robo-beast, only to set up and land a critically placed arrow just doesn't seem to get old. Stealth kills are also a total blast for me.

I think my favorite thing about it though, really, is the contrast it provides to stuff like Souls and Nioh and Salt and Sanctuary and all these fucking HEAVY, punishing games. Games that abuse you for not being good enough. I've really been leaning on Horizon Zero Dawn and Specter Knight for a huge dose of colorful FUN when I'm down in the dumps because I suck at something else.

Did you beat Horizon yet?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:52 pm 

Get the fuck outta here! I've not even come close. I don't beat games quickly, unless it's something like Hyper Light Drifter which is short to begin with and completely possesses me. I'll probably play Horizon Zero Dawn for months. I've spent a lot of time doing side quests (literally haven't passed on one yet - rare for me) and also just kinda messing around. I've got two major quests open right now, might actually spend some time with it tonight!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:52 pm 

Some Monster Hunter gifs from the beta, courtesy of SunhiLegend, the gif-master (his Horizon and Bloodborne gifs were jaw-droppingly cool, dude's so talented that Guerilla Games invited him to their studio haha):

(Warning, GIF HEAVY)

Spoiler: show
Image Image
Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Edit: bonus gif of Rath yawn :love:

My own impressions: it's fucking great, y'all. Many modern QoL improvements that were desperately needed, both in terms of visuals and gameplay, but same old excellent combat. Enemy AI and animations are better than ever (as you can see from the gifs above). My first time trying the insect glaive and the charge blade, fun weapons.

Can't wait! :hyper:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:25 pm 

Never played a MH game before, but I beat the 3 main hunts in the demo (with some coaching from a MH vet buddy) and had a blast. Definitely gonna pick it up for PC.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:39 pm 

It does look neat. I'm gonna try the demo when it rolls back around.

I got sucked back into Salt & Sanctuary so hard. Realized I could two hand the giant fuckoff Greatsword I've been waiting to use. One shotting previously annoying mobs and smashed on a boss I had been frustrated with. FINALLY got those black obelisks activated. What an amazing game. Playing DS made me a lot better. I honestly didn't use the roll at all before. Yikes.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:04 pm 

The beta is indeed returning on Dec. 22 for non-plus PS members, so that's cool. :)

@failsafeman: nice, too bad we can't hunt together since I'll be on PS4 and I doubt there will be crossplay. What weapons did you try?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:36 pm 

Heavy gunlance, hammer, and normal sword & board. Weirdly enough I had the easiest time with the T-Rex guy, who was (supposedly?) the hardest of the three. Just chipped away at his ankles with my little sword and shield, and ended up beating my friend's time to boot.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:45 pm 

The poison sword-and-shield is pretty strong in the demo, yeah. SnS is typically weaker, but easier to handle, since you can block AND use items like potions with your weapon out (with other weapons you need to sheathe it first -- not sure how it makes sense with SnS, but oh well xD).

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:02 pm 

Definitely excited about MHW, especially after I saw a video my friend posted highlighting the new moves and interactions with the environment. Check it out!

Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:23 am 

Here's the real reason why MH World is gonna be the greatest game ever :3 :3 :3

:love: :puppy:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:04 pm 

OMG you can customize your tiny kitten person! That is so precious. Can you have more than a single palico at a time? I'd love to have two and make them look like my cats. Having Paganini and Mr. Boop fighting dinosaurs right beside me would be the best :-D

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:28 pm 

I'm on vacation until the 2nd. About to try out the MH:W beta right now.

I had a completely unrelated request though: can anyone suggest more games like Specter Knight and Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight for PS4? I just finished the former and started the latter. Specter Knight was one of the most incredible gaming experiences of my life. Just a perfect foundation of gameplay and mechanics capped off with beautiful graphics and a killer soundtrack. Momodora is harder but I'm loving it. I just want that side-scrolling, platforming, huge bossing, DENSE ATMOSPHERING, kinda game experience y'know? I specify dense atmosphere because I'm not really looking for Shantae and the Twerking Queen or whatever. Also, I've got Axiom Verge but haven't been able to get into it yet. Just didn't grab me. I'm basically asking for Castlevania games.

I'm really hyped about Bloodstained, obviously. I was hoping to find some old Castlevania games on tbe PSN store but it doesn't look like they're available for basic members at least.

I want to get Plague Knight but I'm annoyed that I would have to buy a Pack containing the game I already have.

Last edited by Jonpo on Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:59 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I'm on vacation until the 2nd. About to try out the MH:W beta right now.

I had a completely unrelated request though: can anyone suggest more games like Specter Knight and Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight for PS4? I just finished the former and started the latter. Specter Knight was one of the most incredible gaming experiences of my life. Just a perfect foundation of gameplay and mechanics capped off with beautiful graphics and a killer soundtrack. Momodora is harder but I'm loving it. I just want that side-scrolling, platforming, huge bossing, DENSE ATMOSPHERING, kinda game experience y'know? I specify dense atmosphere because I'm not really looking for Shantae and the Twerking Queen or whatever. Also, I've got Axiom Verge but haven't been able to get into it yet. Just didn't grab me.

I'm really hyped about Bloodstained, obviously. I was hoping to find some old Castlevania games on tbe PSN store but it doesn't look like they're available for basic members at least.

I want to get Plague Knight but I'm annoyed that I would have to buy a Pack containing the game I already have.

This Momodora game looks pretty cool. Holy shit do you ever rip through video games. I'm still dragging my feet on Hyper Light Drifter even after all your passion, because I'm hearing the difficulty is so high.

I don't have any recommends for you based off of your request. I just got Wolfenstein The New Order and while it can be mindless at times I am enjoying it. Sometimes I feel like the AI is too oblivious.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:12 pm 

I was a day early on the beta it starts tomorrow hahaha.

Aw man I don't beat most of the games I play. I just completely fell in love with Hyper Light Drifter and Specter Knight. I want to play Hollow Knight so bad but I don't have a PC. Momodora is fucking awesome. Some obvious Souls inspiration. A lot of repetition trying to make a perfect run to a boss without using any heals.

I wouldn't say HLD has an insane difficulty level. I think the balance of difficulty versus OKAY ONE MORE TIME is one of the best things about it. I never felt abused. It was always my fault when I died. Take a calculated approach to the combat. Dodging and counter-attacking is important. By the last third of the game I had so many upgrades and special skills I felt like a mobile death unit. I couldn't recommend this game more. I'll probably start a NG+ game soon. I want to find EVERY secret. By the way its full of them and once you notice the marking on the floor that indicates a secret it changes the way you play the game.

Still maybe my favorite game ever.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:13 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Also, I've got Axiom Verge but haven't been able to get into it yet. Just didn't grab me. I'm basically asking for Castlevania games.

It's odd. I feel the same way from what I've played of Axiom Verge and can't put my finger on why that is, because it's the exact sort of game I'm into and it plays well. I've been putting off picking it back up, but I'm sure I will at some point.

I've said it before and will say it again; Another Metroid 2 Remake is fantastic, and anyone who hasn't played it should give it a shot. The production value is on par with any other of the 2D Metroid games despite being a fan game, and it's just generally very good.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:46 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
OMG you can customize your tiny kitten person! That is so precious. Can you have more than a single palico at a time? I'd love to have two and make them look like my cats. Having Paganini and Mr. Boop fighting dinosaurs right beside me would be the best :-D

I think you only get one, unfortunately.

Jonpo wrote:
I had a completely unrelated request though: can anyone suggest more games like Specter Knight and Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight for PS4?

Since you've already played Salt and Sanctuary, hmm... yeah, most of the suggestions I have in mind are PC-only for now (Valdis Story and Hollow Knight).

Maybe the Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap remake? It's currently on sale.
Oh and the actual Genesis classic, Wonder Boy in Monster World, should be right up your alley too. Fantastic game.

Quote:
I specify dense atmosphere because I'm not really looking for Shantae and the Twerking Queen or whatever.

:lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:56 am 

I'll check it out, thanks!

I'm desperate to play Hollow Knight. I think building a new PC might be in order after Christmas.

Edit: shamelessly wringing every ounce of fun from Spectre Knight by trying to defeat Horace's tower climb. Its so fun and tense. They'll get my money for the treasure trove. But this game specifically captured something really special in the way your character dashes around.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:20 am 

Got Hyper Light Drifter over the weekend and holy shit is it ever cryptic.

Jonpo- Did you do the dash challenge? I did 100 dashes and am done. Fuck trying to do 800. Way too maddening for me.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:23 am 

Uh yeah I got like 30 lol. The only people I've heard about beating it were using a keyboard and a metronome. I can't see ever doing it with a PS4 controller.

I almost forget how terrible I was at the game at first. Once I realized you could "dodge" things with your regular stride and save your dashes for the right moments it all fell into place. All the upgrades you get are so fun.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:44 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Uh yeah I got like 30 lol. The only people I've heard about beating it were using a keyboard and a metronome. I can't see ever doing it with a PS4 controller.

I almost forget how terrible I was at the game at first. Once I realized you could "dodge" things with your regular stride and save your dashes for the right moments it all fell into place. All the upgrades you get are so fun.

Yea, the dashes are real helpful.

They really did just throw you into the middle of the game with zero explanation/story.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:39 pm 

That's also the middle and end. Nothing is really explained, ever. Learninf to spot the clues on the ground is probably the single most important thing outside of combat.

I loved the dash-slash upgrade the most. The one that slashes through an enemy and beheaded them if their health is low enough. The deflection slash is super helpful too.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:43 pm 

Bloodborne Complete Edition currently on sale for $14 :eek:

Y'all have no more excuses

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:53 pm 

Well that's that. I'll grab it. Thanks Morrigan!!

I didn't get very far in Nioh. I've been obsessed with beating Hotline Miami (done) and playing around with the different masks. Just started in on the sequel. God-tier soundtrack.

Been taking a break from ultra challenging stuff. Souls 2 was giving me PTSD.

Oh! And Ronin is less than $3 right now. Highly recommended. Turn based ninja assassin game sounds awful but just try it. I'm having stupid fun.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:19 pm 

Got Nioh for christmas, played a couple of hours this morning. Seems really enjoyable, I think I'm gonna get a solid 100+ hours out of it. Today though I mostly just died on the first level (Demon Island?) - there's some compound that I'm currently having trouble getting around. Can't lure the enemies out one by one - throwing a rock seems to attract every enemy within miles, which I guess IS a bit more realistic than DS, but it isn't helping me right now.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:23 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Bloodborne Complete Edition currently on sale for $14 :eek:

Y'all have no more excuses

I don't have a PS4. That seems like a legitimate excuse. :V

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:25 pm 

Turner wrote:
Got Nioh for christmas, played a couple of hours this morning. Seems really enjoyable, I think I'm gonna get a solid 100+ hours out of it. Today though I mostly just died on the first level (Demon Island?) - there's some compound that I'm currently having trouble getting around. Can't lure the enemies out one by one - throwing a rock seems to attract every enemy within miles, which I guess IS a bit more realistic than DS, but it isn't helping me right now.

I think what you're trying is basically the answer. You can also make sure your guardian spirit thing is charged up and wreck a large crew with that.

Killing Revenants is addicting. I feel you on the 100+ hours. Its a game I'm in no big hurry with. I'll admit I'm a little nervous to revisit the boss that beat me. It was a slog getting to him and I didn't realize what I was walking into. For some reason I take dying too seriously. Or too personally. Just need to sack up and try again.

Did pick up Horizon Zero Dawn again today. God DAMN it's so fun.

Sorry I keep thinking of more shit. Get N++ if you have a PS4. Super addicting platforming uh...puzzle? game? Its a platformer all about controlling your momentum. The controls are beautiful and everything feels tight once you understand how your little stick figure guy handles.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:09 am 

FUCK the beginning of Bloodborne is tough. Am I really supposed to be fighting these things by hand? The "backstab" is pretty effective once you trigger it but Jesus!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:49 am 

Uh, mate? You're supposed to die to that big fuck off wolf thing at the hospital where you wake up. That's how you get your weapons.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:50 am 

I also got Nioh for Christmas and I also got my shit packed in with alarming regularity in that fishing village. I'm still there, but that little house area gave me a ton of shit as well. I eventually beat it by just basically running up to it and running back to the shrine a bunch to upgrade myself, which probably isn't how the game intends you do it but I suck at this new wave of punishing games. My trick was to throw a rock at that first dude through the entrance to lure him out and take care of him, then I managed to slip in just the tiniest amount up to the last possible centimeter to lure out the guy immediately to his left, then I was able to go in and take the two guys in the corner, which is a much more manageable fight than the 4-on-1 I walked into the first time. I feel like it's probably worth exploring that forest to the left of the house (entrance was kinda hard to see but you can hook a left on the dinky cliff path directly before it) but I got super paranoid about losing all of my amrita before just turning tail after getting about halfway through and going back to the shrine. I'm a coward! And like Jonpo I have a habit of taking each death way harder than I probably should because I hate having my progress snatched away from me so coldly. What I've gathered is that you shouldn't be afraid to whip out the Living Weapon if you find yourself in a situation you're uncomfortable with, and talking with Morri briefly tells me that you really need to be good at Ki Pulse and understanding which weapon stances are good for which situation.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 835, 836, 837, 838, 839, 840, 841 ... 940  Next