* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:09 am 

ebulus wrote:
Never going to happen with a population of 4 million , player pool is too small

I know, we are seeing something similar in SL, not enough new talent coming through. And yet, you guys did have a great chance in 1992 under Martin Crowe, not a star cast, but as I said earlier, a great team that was able to win.

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:05 am 

You seem to do alright with the All Blacks...

rabid_death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:32 am 

http://www.icc-cricketrankings.com/

Vettori is 1st and Mills is 5th. I'm highly amused to see Shane Bond still ranked at 13th in the test bowler rankings.

When i look at the current Black Caps squad and player pool i can't help but see potential even if only in the one day format, even more so since Australia is struggling at the moment. New Zealand has the best spinner/allrounder in the game in Vettori, a world class wicket keeper/batsman in McCullum, batting talent in Taylor and Ryder when he's sober and uninjured, a capable new ball attack with Mills and Southee and a world class allrounder in Oram when he's not injured (which doesn't seem to be often lately). Throw in a some capable but inexperienced youngsters like Broom and Guptill who scored 122 not out on international debut a few weeks back and this Black Caps squad definitely has potential. Unfortunately they're still short a capable seamer or 2 (i'm looking at you Ian O'Brien and Mark Gillespie) and another allrounder which may be cured if James Franklin finds a bit of bowling form.

Anyway the rest of this series and the Australian tour of South Africa will make for interesting watching in the next few weeks.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:16 pm 

Alright, so Australia are down 2-0 against New Zealand in the cricket. We need some credibility...or at least win one game. I don't think we can win 3 games in a row and produce a mad comeback, but surely we can win one game, right?

Game 3 is being played in Sydney today. It's going to be scorching hot, so the coin-toss winner would be wise to bat first, to make the fielding team fry in the Sun all day, then bat when they're drained of energy. I have little faith in Australia, whether they bat first, last, or an hour early. I'll be watching pessimistically.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

ebulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:19 pm 

In other news the West Indies bowled england out for 51, thrashing them by an innings lol..

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:20 pm 

Really? Well, that's pretty sucky for England....

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

rabid_death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:27 pm 

The Poms second innings lasted all of 33 overs and they only scored 51 runs jeez i wish i could have watched it.

In the NZ vs Aus ODI Vettori has elected to bowl first. I'm not to sure about that, the Black Caps are far better at chasing a total then setting one but still i have to wonder just how much the heat is going to affect their performance.

ebulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:01 am 

What sore losers the Australian officials are, we won the last game and Michael Clarke got man of the match, Elliott played the innings of a lifetime here and Haddin gets man of the match

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:04 am 

ebulus wrote:
What sore losers the Australian officials are, we won the last game and Michael Clarke got man of the match, Elliott played the innings of a lifetime here and Haddin gets man of the match

That's the Australian way bruv. :P

In other news - well worth the early start this morning, as Liverpool came from behind to beat Portsmouth 3-2, and happily, we draw even further away from Chelski as they were held goalless at home by Hull City. We'll get back on top!!!

ebulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:05 am 

Yeah we won the rugby league world cup final and Darren Lockyer got the man of the match award

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:06 am 

It's pretty sad and embarrassing really, that we have to be bad losers like that.

ebulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:07 am 

was a great game anyway, I'm just happy we didnt get bundled out for 180

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:14 am 

I don't follow it much admittedly, I just saw we made a fairly phenomenal score. Nevertheless, we lose our crown to South Africa deservedly.

As for me, I'm also happy that Melbourne Victory appears set to host another A-League Grand Final - and that Arsenal looks set to not make the next Champions League. I think it deserves more to be a Man U-Liverpool-Villa-Everton CL line up next year but, just seeing one of the big 4 out is always a good thing.

ebulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:17 am 

never really been into Soccer, maybe because the almighty all whites do us all so proud...

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:59 am 

ebulus wrote:
never really been into Soccer, maybe because the almighty all whites do us all so proud...

All year I've said Wellington Phoenix should play 2010 World Cup Qualifiers instead of the All Whites :P Ebulus, do you follow Crusaders or any other Super 14 team at all? Excited about the new rugby season?

On another topic, where is that Perplexed_Sjel fellow, I need him to discuss football matters with!!

ebulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:55 am 

Yeah I support the crusaders, but I actually grew up playing Rugby League, in my younger days I played for the canterbury team in the age group levels

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:20 pm 

So Alex Roid-riguez admitting what he did today helped him alot. If he surpasses the homerun record though it will still be tainted. He pretty much cast a shadow on New York's season before it has begun.

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:02 pm 

That loser should be barred from baseball for 10 years. Same applies to the 100 or others admitting or accused of steroid use.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:06 pm 

mrchris wrote:
That loser should be barred from baseball for 10 years. Same applies to the 100 or others admitting or accused of steroid use.

I hate A-Fraud too but he cannot be banned or suspended because that was a test result prior to the doping policy enacted by MLB. It was supposed to be confidential with no repercussions because it preceded the testing done now. The Yankees are stuck with him and all his money and bonuses. Oh, that makes him nearly untradeable too.

Oh and something else, you know what was A-Fraud's most lucrative endorsement deal for 2008 was? GUITAR HERO!! Yes, you read that right! He made about another $4 MIL on that Guitar Hero spot. How ridiculous is that?! You would think the Guitar Hero people would endorse someone who at least had some attachment to music or gaming with music. As if A-Hole needed more money yet it's from something that he has absolutely no asscoiation with: Rock and Roll. Although the term Rock and Roll relative to Guitar Hero is tenuous.

nggr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:29 pm 

Daytona 500 this sunday.

Looks like the Hendrick cars will be strong as always, especially Gordon and Martin. Joey Logano (and the other Gibbs cars, too) looked surprisingly good in his Qualifier, too

Mods, if you feel that there should be a seperate thread for motorsport, feel free to make one.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:34 pm 

nggr wrote:
Daytona 500 this sunday.

Looks like the Hendrick cars will be strong as always, especially Gordon and Martin. Joey Logano (and the other Gibbs cars, too) looked surprisingly good in his Qualifier, too

Mods, if you feel that there should be a seperate thread for motorsport, feel free to make one.

After last season how can it be suprising that the Gibbs Toyotas are strong?

nggr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:40 pm 

neonchipmunk wrote:
nggr wrote:
Daytona 500 this sunday.

I meant that Logano was surprising, seeing as his car wasn't working for him in the practises. Obviously Hamlin and Busch are going to be contenders, hence why they were in brackets

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:50 pm 

nggr wrote:
neonchipmunk wrote:
nggr wrote:
Daytona 500 this sunday.

I meant that Logano was surprising, seeing as his car wasn't working for him in the practises. Obviously Hamlin and Busch are going to be contenders, hence why they were in brackets

I didn't watch the practices because I find on the super speedways how they do in practice means very little to how they do in the race. Some cars like the Gillette/Petty stable aren't set up to be fast in the clean air. They are set up to be able to handle in traffic during the race.

In fact the only thing I found surprising was how much trouble Allmendinger seemed to have with the handling of his car during the duels. Especially after how good he looked in the shootout.

nggr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:59 pm 

neonchipmunk wrote:
nggr wrote:
neonchipmunk wrote:
nggr wrote:
Daytona 500 this sunday.

I didn't watch the practices because I find on the super speedways how they do in practice means very little to how they do in the race. Some cars like the Gillette/Petty stable aren't set up to be fast in the clean air. They are set up to be able to handle in traffic during the race.

In fact the only thing I found surprising was how much trouble Allmendinger seemed to have with the handling of his car during the duels. Especially after how good he looked in the shootout.

Allmendinger was using a different car in the Shootout, though, as was everyone except McMurray, and possibly Waltrip.

Perhaps he should have brung the shootout car out, but it's too late for that now.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:12 pm 

nggr wrote:
Allmendinger was using a different car in the Shootout, though, as was everyone except McMurray, and possibly Waltrip.

Perhaps he should have brung the shootout car out, but it's too late for that now.

Yes they use different cars but I would have thought that they would have been able to carry over what they learned from the shootout to the duel. Could be a day/night thing.

It's too bad that Gillette couldn't get Allmendinger into the 19 for the season.

Edit: As for the motorsport thread I think it would be a good idea.

BPA
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:53 pm 

^ I'd be up for a motorsport thread too, though my NASCAR knowledge isn't all that. New Red Bull F1 contender looks ace, has some nice Newey tricks up it's sleeve like the use of pushrod rear suspension. If nothing else it's different.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:10 pm 

BPA wrote:
^ I'd be up for a motorsport thread too, though my NASCAR knowledge isn't all that. New Red Bull F1 contender looks ace, has some nice Newey tricks up it's sleeve like the use of pushrod rear suspension. If nothing else it's different.

They have a aero package in F1 this year, right? Supposed to increase overtaking? Do you know if they decided on that medal idea yet?

nggr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:51 am 

Quote:
They have a aero package in F1 this year, right? Supposed to increase overtaking? Do you know if they decided on that medal idea yet?

Yea. Wider front wing, narrower, taller rear wing. Ban of winglets on the body of the cars.

Engine life extended to three races, with rev limiters lowered again to 18,000 rpm to help them last that long.

Slick tires are back, as well.

When you first look at the new cars, they look quite silly, more so when compared to last years cars. But I've grown to accept them.

As for those medals, I haven't heard anything, but i seriously hope it doesn't become a reality.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:29 am 

What a tragic end to the Chappell Hadlee series. The Kiwis will be well pissed, since they could have been six overs away from winning, but thanks to the rain we hold the trophy. Now we have a Twenty20 tonight and that's the end of international cricket in this country for another summer. I'm sad, as it comes and goes far too quickly, and lasts much longer than the AFL.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:15 am 

OK. So, here is why Melbourne Victory is the greatest sports team in the world right now (btw, this is fact everybody, not merely opinion):

a. 1-0.
b. 3-2 come from behind.
c. 1-0.
d. 2-0.
e. 4-0.

- Taking two years to get a 27,000 average people to games - in Europe, this would leave them around 70th in terms of highest attendance, and thus single-handedly making the A-League get a profit (they make more from Telstra Dome games than several AFL clubs.)
- Setting the Telstra Dome attendance record.
- One of only three clubs to win the grand final.
- Only club to win the premiership twice.
- Only club to have the triple - pre-season, premiership, and grand final.
- Both a team of champions AND a champion team.
- Set to utterly dominate the competition for years to come.

Melbourne Victory, Champions League, Grand Final and eternal greatness - here we come.

Dechripastocide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:46 pm 

Daytona 500 was a dud.
PGA at Pebble Beach was a dud.
But this FedEx Cup leader is right on the number!

Last edited by Dechripastocide on Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:47 pm 

Ken Griffey, Jr. is returning to the Mariners. He didn't do jack for the Pale Hose or the Reds and he doesn't seem to mind losing too much so I think he would fit right back in with Seattle. His career numbers should be more exalted now though since Alex Roid-riguez and some others are tainted.

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:19 pm 

As much as I dislike Collingwood, I'm happy Nick Maxwell's suspension was overturned by the tribunal last night. It's unfortunate he knocked the shit out of the other guys jaw, but he performed a legitimate bump, and if the suspension had stayed, it would have further degenerated the AFL into the namby-pamby politically correct puncy metrosexual sport that it sadly is becoming.

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:36 am 

Damn, Roar lost. Even at least a mild challenge in the grand final would have been nice :( :P

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:30 pm 

Dragons defeated Bulldogs 24-12 in the pre-season NRL match. Looks like it may be a better year for the Dragons, but we'll have to see.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:36 pm 

You guys would really love NFL football. Similiar high scoring and even more physical.

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:53 pm 

UK demolished Tennessee today. My day has been made.

No 54-point records broken or anything but great play from everyone on the team really are what made the game. It was complete domination by UK for almost the entire game except for a minute in the first half when Gillispie put all the bench players in. Even then, they maintained an 8 point lead.

Anyone else who watches college basketball; who do you guys think, besides Blake Griffin, should be considered for NCAA player of the year?

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:25 pm 

Wait till football season though because the Vols demolish Kentucky then.

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:08 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Wait till football season though because the Vols demolish Kentucky then.

Don't be so sure. UK has the best recruiting class it's had in years and showed great improvement in the bowl game. UK's quarterback and reciever situation will be infinitely better next year and our top two defensive players (one of which was a projected first round player-Trevard Lindley), are returning for their senior seasons. Our running game should be a step up as well, if Locke recovers from his injury in time and one of our incoming freshmen is any good at all. Personally I'm excited about this guy, Jon George, who had over 2000 total yards in his senior season of high school and also won the Alabama state championship in wrestling and I think track as well. He went way under the radar because he was apparently prone to injury, which I don't know how that is possible. You'd think at least one of the bigger SEC-West football schools (Alabama, LSU) schools would've picked him up just as an athlete but they didn't.

Even though UK will be a better team next year, I don't know if they can beat the new and improved UT staff. I'm one of the few who think Lane Kiffin can actually coach, and everyone knows Monte Kiffin can coach defense. Hopefully it'll be a good game next year either way. It is in Lexington, though!

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:59 pm 

Lane Kiffen will have to do some under the table recruiting to be able to compete with Nick Saban and Urban Meyer for top signees in the region.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 136  Next