Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:58 pm 

The biggest problem I saw last night was, the Patriots defense did not show up. But some of that was self-inflicted. By stubbornly refusing to let their best defensive back play, (for whatever unfathomable reason) the coaching staff shot themselves in the foot right off the bat. And with that consistently poor pass rush- Nick Foles or not, you could put the third string QB from the Cleveland Browns back there, and even he would pick a defense apart if he has enough time to throw it. Chalk that up as much to poor defensive schemes on the part of the Patriots as much as poor effort. I was shamelessly rooting for New England to win, but lets face it, they really didn't deserve to. Tom Brady, to his credit, did play a pretty good game- except for one thing: dude can't catch an easy pass that an average pop warner kid could have done one-handed? Come on!

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:30 am 

Malcolm Butler has not covered well this whole year, so I actually don't think he would have made much of a difference in terms of coverage...however, he is one of the best tackling cornerbacks in the league, and the number of missed tackles last night was making me pull my hair out. That one on 3rd down where Bademosi was in perfect position to make the stop was especially painful, because Butler would have certainly come through there. I do think it is odd he didn't play a single snap, but he has had a weird relationship with the Pats ever since his play in Super Bowl 49. The tension has only gotten worse this year after they signed Gilmore on a huge deal, and now we will never know what kind of impact he may have had on the game.

Brady did play really well, and I think it is really hard to criticize him on anything aside from the dropped pass and the lack of awareness in the pocket on the strip sack.

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:24 pm 

Well, "Watch USA choke in Ice Hockey again year" is starting tonight!

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:22 pm 

Seems Yoel Romero missed weight on his first weigh-in attempt...I really want to see this fight, but I also don't like the idea of fighters cutting hard before a fight because that can and will probably show in the octagon. Ugh, and of all fights on this card for this to happen...

Edit: well Rockhold took the fight and got smashed...

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:15 pm 

What a dumpster fire is going on in Ottawa! Dion Phaneuf handcuffs the team by refusing a trade, so we expose Marc Methot to the Las Vegas expansion draft (should have dangled Ceci*, but too late now.) Few months later, the Sens without their defensive anchor relentlessly suck ass, so Mr. Wants-to-Stay Phaneuf agrees to a trade. Bastard. And, though the team's biggest need is clearly on defence (and in goal), this is the trade the genius manager comes up with? Phaneuf and Nate Thompson (a competent checking forward) to LA for Marian Gaborik and Nick Shore. Yes, Gabby is capable of astonishing feats of scoring prowess, but without addressing the gaping holes on the back end, his presence will just change a 5-3 loss into a 6-5 loss.
* nothing against Cody Ceci, but really, we've been waiting on him to turn into the next Wade Redden for quite a while now. This is about as good as he's gonna get.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:21 pm 

Ottawa Senators... just, goddamn it. I can live with my team helping the <barf> Pittsburgh Penguins circumvent the salary cap with a bizarre three-team deal that essentially uses the Las Vegas Knights as a money launderer. Because, at first glance the trade helps fill the Sens' most depserate need for help on the back end: Filip Gustavsson is a potential franchise goalie, which we'll soon need as Anderson gets old. We also get Ian Cole - a competent but average/low scoring defenceman who, most importantly, is a career +40.
So, good news, right? Until I hear the Sportsnet analysts say the Senators are most likely to trade Cole to someone else instead :grr: PLEASE PLEASE KEEP IAN COLE! A sound defensive defenceman is the least sexy haul in any trade, but he's what we need!
If this team goes ahead and flips Ian Cole, God help me, I'll... continue to whine anonymously on the internet :old:

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:46 am 

Anyone else watching the Six Nations? Scotland beat England for the first time in 10 years yesterday, massive result not just for us but the championship as a whole. Most likely it'll come down to Ireland vs England at Twickenham but if we manage to pull off an upset in Dublin then Scotland might have outside chance too.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:35 pm 

I'm really satisfied with the great things Germany has accomplished in the Olympics this year. Especially the silver medal in the hockey tournament was far more than expected. I was really positively surprised by the team's victory against Canada last Friday while my work colleagues felt really bitter about this. I usually root for both nations but can't help to admire the outsider's rise to stardom.

Concerning my Senators, the only major problem is Eugene Melnyk. He makes stupid comments without giving them a thought before, seems to have financial struggles and has proven to be unable to govern a franchise. Even the mostly quiet and tame Sens fans are now getting furious at him for a good reason and I hope this pressure will lead him to step down. Concerning the trades, I sincerely think the Senators have traded enough star players with Phaneuf and Brassard already and should keep Hoffman, Karlsson and the others. If they traded Karlsson, they would commit commercial and competitive suicide. Sincerely, the team played way above average last season and way below average this season. The real potential lies somewhere in between and with developing good-looking talented young players like Chabot, the future is looking good, so there is no need to panic at this point and be pessimistic.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:26 pm 

The good news about those two trades is it indicates to me the Sens are done with major moves for now. Between Phaneuf and Brassard, that's a salary dump of about 5M$ a year - for however many years those two had on their contracts, I dunno. Anyway, dumping salary there should mean the plan is to spend it on somebody, such as Karlsson.
As for Melnyk, yeah he's becoming more and more of a cantankerous dictator with each passing day. But honestly I couldn't disagree with his November comments. Having lived my whole lite in Ottawa, I sympathized with Melnyk's worry that somehow the impenetrably tangled layers of government round here would find a way to scuttle the LeBreton deal. I just think a man in his position should have kept that thought to himself, instead of feeding the media which loves to inflate any controversy real or imagined.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:00 pm 

Some interesting trade rumors floating around, including one where the Raiders trade a 2nd round pick for Gerald McCoy. I think a 2nd is too high for an aging and fairly expensive player, but McCoy and Mack on the same line would be nasty.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:27 pm 

The Browns are trading for everybody! For a 3rd, a 4th, Kizer and some late round pick they're about to gain Damarious Randall, Tyrod Taylor, and Jarvis Landry. A receiving corps featuring Jarvis Landry and Josh Gordon sounds downright nasty.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:31 am 

And if Corey Coleman can keep his hand from breaking, they will have one of the best WR trios in the league. But they will have Tyrod Taylor throwing to them and they will still be the Browns, so I'm assuming another season of 4 wins or fewer.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:26 am 

I've always considered Tyrod Taylor to be a slightly above average QB. He's gonna have a good offensive line, as well as all the weapons he can handle, so if he fails he has no excuse.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:36 pm 

Any NCAA March Madness die-hards here? The championship weekend, selection sunday and the national tournament is one of my favourite things in sports.

It's funny, i have absolutely ZERO interest in the NBA, but am crazy about college basketball.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:24 pm 

I followed very closely when I was in college and when UConn was good, but I have barely even watched a game this year. I will probably fill out a bracket and loosely follow it this year, but with little investment in any of the teams.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:45 pm 

Any MLB fans around here? I was surprised no one posted in this thread with today being opening day.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:25 pm 

Mariners fan, checking in. I thought for sure they were gonna get worked by Kluber, but I was pleasantly surprised for a change!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:24 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Mariners fan, checking in. I thought for sure they were gonna get worked by Kluber, but I was pleasantly surprised for a change!

I think they could be a dark horse this year. Love seeing Ichiro back with them. It just seems like a fitting ending (although it looks like he could play for another 5 years.)
I've been a die-hard yankee fan since 1993 (Living in Canada, that is a rare thing). Happy with how they've started. A lot is expected, I'm looking forward to what should be an exciting season.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:55 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Trashy_Rambo wrote:

I think they could be a dark horse this year. Love seeing Ichiro back with them. It just seems like a fitting ending (although it looks like he could play for another 5 years.)
I've been a die-hard yankee fan since 1993 (Living in Canada, that is a rare thing). Happy with how they've started. A lot is expected, I'm looking forward to what should be an exciting season.

With Cano, Cruz, and Seager forming a strong core, they should be. They've been severely underachieving since I started watching them though. :grumble:

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:07 pm 

Y'all notice a bunch of managers being over-cautious with their starting pitchers for so early in the season? I would think now is the time to test a guy's pitch limit, so you know what you're getting. Then you can determine whether your bullpen needs more long- or short- inning relievers... instead guys are getting taken out just 5-6 innings and less than 80 pitches :scratch: Seems weird imo

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:22 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Y'all notice a bunch of managers being over-cautious with their starting pitchers for so early in the season? I would think now is the time to test a guy's pitch limit, so you know what you're getting. Then you can determine whether your bullpen needs more long- or short- inning relievers... instead guys are getting taken out just 5-6 innings and less than 80 pitches :scratch: Seems weird imo

It seems even more premature than usual. I know they try to keep them under 100 for their first time out, but it's been REALLY short this year. Sevy was dealing for the yankees in the opener, and Boone took him out early (Granted, the Yanks pen is fucking STACKED)

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:09 am 

Not a good start to the year for James Paxton. Cruz hurt too. :/

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:16 pm 

Looks like Aaron Boone has already made two VERY rookie mistakes in managing, both of which seem to have cost the Yankees games. Of course, there is no way of knowing how an alternative decision would have turned out, but pulling Betances after one inning (Or even once a runner got on base) yesterday, and pitching to an injured, cold Donaldson over a red-hot Smoak with the bases loaded both may have turned the tides of those games. It's still very early, but with how loaded the Yankees look on paper, I get nervous about a very novice staff trying to steer the ship.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:28 am 

jimbies wrote:
and pitching to an injured, cold Donaldson over a red-hot Smoak with the bases loaded both may have turned the tides of those games. It's still very early, but with how loaded the Yankees look on paper, I get nervous about a very novice staff trying to steer the ship.

Yeah that one was a real puzzler.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:12 pm 

Well the gods must really not want Tony Ferguson and Khabib to fight. Crazy how many times this fight has been scrapped. I'm really excited for Holloway's opportunity to fight for the lightweight belt, but that is going to be an enormous challenge for him. Who knows though, if he can survive the first few rounds he may be able to make something happen in the 4th or 5th. I wouldn't count him out, but Khabib is a monster.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:39 am 

I thought it was an April Fool's joke, ughhh. BUT! If this fight goes the distance, and Max Holloway somehow comes away with the victory on such short notice, it would be absolutely amazing. I'm pulling for that story line, but I love watching Khabib fight and want to see him pull out the victory as well. I'm hoping whatever needs to happen to make Conor/Khabib happen, happens.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:32 pm 

Mariners are a combined 2-23 with RISP in their last two games.

Spoiler: show

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:03 pm 

^^ That GIF is a live-look-in at me after the yankees much-talked-about bullpen had another horrible outing.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:47 pm 

This UFC 223 event is turning into a complete disaster. McGregor shows up and throws a dolly through a bus window, injuring multiple fighters and causes 3 fights to be pulled. Holloway is declared medically unfit to fight the day of weigh-ins, Pettis misses championship weight by .2 pounds so he can't step up to fight Khabib, and Paul Felder can't step up because the New York State Athletic Commission is utterly incompetent when it comes to mixed martial arts. Dana White has got to be furious right now.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:51 pm 

"Being a Mariners fan is like being really enthusiastic about Troll 2 or Birdemic. The point is to writhe in agony and side-splitting laughter."

So accurate. :(

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:53 am 

Dan Vogelbach is my absolute favorite player in baseball tonight. First he does this:
https://streamable.com/5h8ud

And then he does THIS. Holy shit:
https://streamable.com/ltkh5

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:24 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
And then he does THIS. Holy shit:
https://streamable.com/ltkh5

That was an absolute BOMB.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:37 am 

Al Davis reached out from the grave to pick Kolton Miller for the Raiders. God damn it.

...And then they proceed to launch a home run into orbit by getting Arden Key in the 3rd and Maurice Hurst in the 5th(!).

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:12 am 

Mariners' James Paxton becomes just the second Canadian pitcher to throw a no-hitter in the major leagues :thumbsup: Extra special that he did it in Toronto too.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:57 pm 

Congratulations to Great Britain for winning the Div. 1 World Hockey Championship, to return to the Elite Level for the first time since 1994. Welcome back :beer:

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:01 am 

Reviving this, because FUCK YEAH CAPS!!!

DC AREA FINALLY WON SOMETHING!

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

MetallicaTrueFan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:45 am 

Hellyeah... The Caps are finally champs, Washington are finally champs again. 26 years too long but so worth it. Time for Washington DC to party like they have never partied before.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:09 am 

Plays like THIS are the Mariners are 18 games over 500. God damn.
https://streamable.com/l40xz

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:52 am 

how fucking silly is it that, if things stay the way they are, either the yankees or the red sox are going to have to play in a one-game playoff, while a team barely over .500 (whoever wins the AL Central) gets into the playoffs? I mean, I understand the importance of winning your division, but it just sucks that both these teams have a shot at historic seasons (well over 100 wins each) and one will have to scratch and claw to get into the post. Obviously there is a long way to go still, but both these teams are showing any signs of slowing down.

I really think MLB needs to revisit the whole one-game wildcard thing. I feel there are better ways of handling the importance of winning your division. Perhaps not having to play a road game in the D.S is one (although I'm sure the lower seeded team would have something to say about losing the ticket revenue), or even a "has to win 2" scenario they use in some Asian baseball leagues for wildcard play would be better.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:02 pm 

I support making the wild card round a best-of-three series. It would be a shame for a very good team to be done thanks to a one-time stumble.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 136  Next