Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:02 pm 

I ended up getting 3/8 myself. I actually tipped the Warriors, so it was good to see them get up in the end. That was a good game, no matter what the result was.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

HerpDerp
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:28 am 

Well Brice Mcgain had a debut to forget. Something like 0/148 of 18 overs. I wonder if he will get another chance.

And De Villiers 163 was amazing, the 4 sixes against McDonald was a highlight in the innings. Good too see Kallis make a 100 against Australia after all these years. A good comeback innings by Prince also.

Looking forward to the 20/20's and ODI's.

And up the Roosters!!

Good win against the Raiders, but Minichello getting injured again, ugh!!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:10 pm 

Minichiello never got injuries, and now in the last 3 years, he's been off the field more than on. The Roosters have to start thinking about life after him, seriously.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:49 am 

We are Geelong, the greatest team of all
We are Geelong, we're always on the ball
Weeee play the game as it should be played
At home or far awaaaaayyyy
Our banners fly high, from dawn to dark
Down at Kardinia Park!!!

(and it's only 3/4 time)

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:39 am 

ebulus wrote:
Just another nail in test crickets coffin really, its becoming too elitist with only 3-4 countries maybe being able to compete, it will die

I know this is a bit late, but seriously what a load of shit. The last couple of years have provided some of the most enthralling test cricket I've ever watched, and I'm hoping it continues on with that trend. I find the whole of idea of Test cricket dying completely ridiculous. It will never die. And it most definitely will not be replaced by a firework display fad like 20/20. And who cares if only a few countries can properly compete? As long as they play high-class, competitive cricket, what's the problem? Ah, anyway, I'm just hoping the ICC doesn't jump on the "Test-Cricket's-fucked" bandwagon and start tampering with how the game is played - that would be a tragedy - in a vain attempt to try to 'save' it from going into redundancy.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:17 am 

Call_From_The_Tower wrote:
ebulus wrote:
Just another nail in test crickets coffin really, its becoming too elitist with only 3-4 countries maybe being able to compete, it will die

I know this is a bit late, but seriously what a load of shit. The last couple of years have provided some of the most enthralling test cricket I've ever watched, and I'm hoping it continues on with that trend. I find the whole of idea of Test cricket dying completely ridiculous. It will never die. And it most definitely will not be replaced by a firework display fad like 20/20. And who cares if only a few countries can properly compete? As long as they play high-class, competitive cricket, what's the problem? Ah, anyway, I'm just hoping the ICC doesn't jump on the "Test-Cricket's-fucked" bandwagon and start tampering with how the game is played - that would be a tragedy - in a vain attempt to try to 'save' it from going into redundancy.

You have a point in that we just had two back-to-back awesome Aus-SA Test series so it can still enthrall for sure but small grounds and true pitches is a disastrous combination and for every series that's nail bitting, you get another half a dozen that's as enjoyable as pulling teeth like the Eng-WI one whose excitement revolved around the sole moment that decided the result, England's moment of madness against Jerome Taylor. There were always boring Test matches but back then everything wasn't viewed through a commercial prism as it is today, not this way anyway. A boring Test series is just an even to eliminate from the calendar and replace with more T20/ODI matches. It's already happening - the Eng-Ind series was restricted to two instead of three because the England wanted to get home for Christmas in anticipation of the sound lashing they were going to get and the boards decided that ODIs would be more lucrative than Tests, so...:( For the record, the Test series was far more well contested and interesting thanks to England's absolute ineptitude in the shorter version and India's greater confidence in that format.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:32 am 

saintinhell wrote:
You have a point in that we just had two back-to-back awesome Aus-SA Test series so it can still enthrall for sure but small grounds and true pitches is a disastrous combination and for every series that's nail bitting, you get another half a dozen that's as enjoyable as pulling teeth like the Eng-WI one whose excitement revolved around the sole moment that decided the result, England's moment of madness against Jerome Taylor. There were always boring Test matches but back then everything wasn't viewed through a commercial prism as it is today, not this way anyway. A boring Test series is just an even to eliminate from the calendar and replace with more T20/ODI matches. It's already happening - the Eng-Ind series was restricted to two instead of three because the England wanted to get home for Christmas in anticipation of the sound lashing they were going to get and the boards decided that ODIs would be more lucrative than Tests, so...:( For the record, the Test series was far more well contested and interesting thanks to England's absolute ineptitude in the shorter version and India's greater confidence in that format.

You're right there with everything you've just said and I agree with you, I just wish I didn't have to. The fact that Test cricket, like nearly all other sports (especially the more popular ones), has now essentially become a commodity whose future could be decided on whether or not it's lucrative for the sponsors honestly saddens me. It is without doubt the highest and most skillful form of the game, and, to me at least, by far the most enjoyable. Unfortunately, yes, there are plenty of watching-paint-dry type series that really don't do anything to enhance its popularity. But then again, that's test cricket, sometimes it really can drag. Any true cricket fan knows that and knows that it's just part of the game. It makes it all the more rewarding when you get matches like Sydney in Jan 08 or again, the one this year against SA.

But still, even though lots of cricket fans will continue to just be attracted to the quick, thrilling matches of 20/20, I don't really have any fears for the future of Test cricket. It's too great to even think of it not being around.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:36 am 

^^

I have to say that as far as keeping Tests alive goes, the onus is on England and Australia, BCCI is far too shortsighted to care about the game, they'll put the money where the mouth is, make no mistake. Also, Test matches get good crowds in England and Australia which is no longer the case in India. Don't know why that is the case because the India-Aus series in 1998 or the India-Pak series in 99 attracted good crowds and the ODI craze was already well entrenched then. Something has changed in a big way in the last 10 years, maybe the slew of boring series after another that followed the epic 2001 India-Aus series.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:39 am 

Any true cricket fan knows that and knows that it's just part of the game. It makes it all the more rewarding when you get matches like Sydney in Jan 08 or again, the one this year against SA.

And any true cricket fan also knows that a battery of sixes doesn't by itself make for exciting cricket. But then again, isn't that a bit like saying that a true music fan wants music that engages him, not just some friendly background noise? See which way this leads us to. The lesson is not to take the things in art or sports for that matter that you love dearly for granted because you never know when it may fade away forever.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:48 am 

saintinhell wrote:
I have to say that as far as keeping Tests alive goes, the onus is on England and Australia, BCCI is far too shortsighted to care about the game, they'll put the money where the mouth is, make no mistake. Also, Test matches get good crowds in England and Australia which is no longer the case in India. Don't know why that is the case because the India-Aus series in 1998 or the India-Pak series in 99 attracted good crowds and the ODI craze was already well entrenched then. Something has changed in a big way in the last 10 years, maybe the slew of boring series after another that followed the epic 2001 India-Aus series.

I actually find that really surprising. How was the attendance on the most recent Australian tour? I would've thought after everything that happened over here in 2007, the Indians would've come out in droves to support their players/give as much shit as possible to the Australians. Add to that Ganguly retiring as well, you couldn't really ask for a better lead-in to a test series. But yeah, ODIs and T/20 seem to be all the rage over there right now, so maybe it's not all that surprising.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:52 am 

I actually find that really surprising. How was the attendance on the most recent Australian tour? I would've thought after everything that happened over here in 2007, the Indians would've come out in droves to support their players/give as much shit as possible to the Australians. Add to that Ganguly retiring as well, you couldn't really ask for a better lead-in to a test series. But yeah, ODIs and T/20 seem to be all the rage over there right now, so maybe it's not all that surprising.

It was pretty poor in the circumstances, especially in traditional Test centres like Delhi and Bangalore. Even Ganguly and Kumble bowing them out had no effect on the attendance. That's the problem, they come out by the hordes for the ODIs and T20s as we saw in the IPL - a tournament people thought would fail because of lack of national loyalties - but they are not interested in Test cricket anymore.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:00 pm 

That's pretty poor. If they won't come out to see two of their most respected cricketers of the past 15 years of so play plus see their team beat us 2-0, what will they come to see? I'm happy Aus is still getting good crowds though. The Boxing Day test and Sydney still manage to pull huge attendance, and Adelaide is pretty good as well. Perth and Brisbane are the only real worries though, their attendance figures are usually pretty low, which is partly to do with them usually getting the teams of, erm, lesser quality. The higher ranked teams are usually saved for Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide, because the ACB know they'll get the numbers. Kind of self-defeating.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:40 pm 

That's pretty poor. If they won't come out to see two of their most respected cricketers of the past 15 years of so play plus see their team beat us 2-0, what will they come to see? I'm happy Aus is still getting good crowds though. The Boxing Day test and Sydney still manage to pull huge attendance, and Adelaide is pretty good as well. Perth and Brisbane are the only real worries though, their attendance figures are usually pretty low, which is partly to do with them usually getting the teams of, erm, lesser quality. The higher ranked teams are usually saved for Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide, because the ACB know they'll get the numbers. Kind of self-defeating.

Back when there were four/five match series, that wasn't much of a problem, but now, yes, Perth and Brisbane are sort of jinxed. That's why the BG trophy is great, four Tests means they will go to either Gabba or Perth every alternate series.

I just hope at least Sachin's Test farewell doesn't go ill-attended. I dig Virender Sehwag's batting a hell lot but I wonder whether the Viru generation knows what Sachin's retirement really means.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:02 pm 

Billy Gillespie was fired today. That program sure has high standards. I wonder who they will lure for a replacement at UK.

ebulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:26 am 

India have followed on against the blackcaps

we scored 619 declared they score 305 all out

rabid_death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:41 am 

Can't say i agree with Vettori's decision to enforce the follow on the pitch is still a belter and can only get worse and our bowlers are probably tiring after the 90 odd overs in the first innings. Still its good to see the black caps in charge of a test for a change rather then getting dominated.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:39 am 

rabid_death wrote:
Can't say i agree with Vettori's decision to enforce the follow on the pitch is still a belter and can only get worse and our bowlers are probably tiring after the 90 odd overs in the first innings. Still its good to see the black caps in charge of a test for a change rather then getting dominated.

What former Indian cricketer Ajay Jadeja just said on a TV programme. If - and that's a big IF - India can string together a big partnership, they'll tire out the NZ bowlers. The pressure of a stiff target might have been a better idea. Extremely poor show by India, no taking away credit from NZ, they have been disciplined throughout and taken all the chances that came their way, but India have been reckless, complacent and lacking the stomach for a fight and have done nothing to not deserve a crushing defeat. I fail to believe that they can actually salvage the second innings, though VVS has promised as much. We shall see.

ebulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:40 pm 

All International cricketers need to learn from Tendulkar, he may be incredibly talented, but he also practises more every day than any other international cricketer. while UV, dhoni, ishant etc were out shopping, Tendulkar spent the day at an optional practise

I don't even know why UV is in the test team, there are much better players in the domestic competition

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:34 pm 

ebulus wrote:
All International cricketers need to learn from Tendulkar, he may be incredibly talented, but he also practises more every day than any other international cricketer. while UV, dhoni, ishant etc were out shopping, Tendulkar spent the day at an optional practise

I don't even know why UV is in the test team, there are much better players in the domestic competition

Me neither, got out like a rank tailender yesterday. Well, good show so far from India 178/2 or so. Poor decision for Dravid but it's something that can happen with bat-pads, got to cop it. Still got to bat out today and then two more sessions tomorrow before they are safe though.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:35 pm 

God, the Blue Jays are gonna suck so bad this year. If they win more than 50 games, I'll be amazed.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:52 pm 

I think the Jays will surprise people actually. They need to sign Barry Bonds. That would be the perfect place for him to go.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:26 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
I think the Jays will surprise people actually. They need to sign Barry Bonds. That would be the perfect place for him to go.

I hope you're right. Their problem won't be the hitting, it'll be the pitching, which is surprising considering how well their pitching did last year. The lost Burnett (I wish that was delayed by one year), and Marcum is gone for the year. And who knows when Mcgowan will be back to form. So they just have Halladay and Litch, and a bunch of minor leaguers (and there's no guarantee that Litch will do well).

The only way they'll do well is if the starting rotation performs a miracle, and all their hitters stay healthy and do what they're supposed to do. I do have more faith in their offense since Gaston and company took over though.

They need Wells to remain healthy and hit 35+ HRs and 120 RBIs, Rolen to have a return to form, Rios to finally actualize his potential, and for Hill and Overbay to actually do something.

With the exception of BJ Ryan (who seems to be a wash), their bullpen seems ok. But with a weakened starting rotation, the bullpen will be taxed and probably overworked, so its flaws may be exposed this year.

Last year, the bullpen wasn't really worked that much, so it performed quite well. But if they have to come into the 5th inning or so on a regular basis, they'll be taxed. At least they have Halladay who can eat up innings better than anyone. He's the best bargain for a starting pitcher in the majors - amazing he's only making a measly 13 million a year - he should be making twice that.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:12 am 

If I were Toronto's GM, I would also think about trading for Jake Peavy as I know the Pads have been trying to unload him this offseason for awhile while his value remains high.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:13 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
If I were Toronto's GM, I would also think about trading for Jake Peavy as I know the Pads have been trying to unload him this offseason for awhile while his value remains high.

I agree - I'd trade off anyone bar Halladay for him, honestly. They need at least 1-2 more good pitchers to be competitive.

I'm actually amazed Peavy hasn't been traded yet (I'm sure its not due to lack of trying though).

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:16 am 

Yeah they've been trying hard to trade him and almost got two separate deals done before the Padres started asking for too much at the last minute. However, Jake does have a no-trade clause and he had a list of teams he would go to in a trade. I don't think Toronto was on his list but if they offer him an extension beforehand then it could work. But a trading deadline deal is more likely if the Jays are in the race.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:20 am 

Knowing Toronto's GM (who's notoriously incompetent), they wouldn't trade for him anyway. God, Richardi must be the wost GM I've seen. He whines about not having enough money to sign good players - that's because he's signed 200 players to minor league contracts... that adds up over awhile. Ugh, I'm tired of fucking reclamation projects and washed up has-beens. The last time anyone worthwhile has been lured to Toronto was back in the early 90s with they won the world series. God, sack Richardi and bring back Gillick as GM.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 am 

The Joe Carter and McGriff days seem so long ago! The best closer they ever had was Tom Henke. Those were the days.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:26 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
The Joe Carter and McGriff days seem so long ago! The best closer they ever had was Tom Henke. Those were the days.

Indeed. The Alomar/Carter for Fernandez/Mcgriff was the best trade ever (well, for Toronto, at any rate). It seemed like yesterday when Carter crushed the Phillies hope for the world series back in 1993 with that walk-off home run. One of the best moments in sports history for me. :)

Then they had to let Gord Ash and JP Richardi fuck things up. I hope they can find a good GM and hopefully the ownership will give reasonable financing for a good team.

As hard as it to believe, back in the early 90s, Toronto had the highest payroll of all teams. How things have changed... Then again, back in the 80s, some teams had payrolls of 8 million. Good luck finding an above-average player going for that now.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:29 am 

It's still hard to believe they won back-to-back rings. Before that era, most people viewed the Blue Jays organization like the Expos.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:33 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
It's still hard to believe they won back-to-back rings. Before that era, most people viewed the Blue Jays organization like the Expos.

The Jays actually had one of the better winning percentages in the 80s. The Expos had a few changes, but were ultimately mediocre... then got totally clusterfucked by ownership, then moved to Washington. Rather disgusting... they actually had a chance to win it all in 1994. I can totally understand why Expos fans gave up on baseball, I would too, if I was in their shoes.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:39 am 

What did you think of the Roger Clemens era of Toronto?

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:45 am 

He was good (ignore the stereoids), but god the rest of the pitching staff sucked. Toronto in the mid-late 90s had a good offense, but man, their pitching was bad. Hell, early on, even Halladay and Christ Carpenter were awful. And when they had ok starting pitching, their bull-pen was awful.

The only good thing from the Richardi era is that Toronto's pitching, both starting and bullpen, is actually pretty good. Its just that the offense has taken a dire turn for the worse. Toronto historically has always had a good offense. The last few years they seem worse than a girls softball team.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:47 am 

If I remember correctly Pat Hentgen won the Cy Young with Toronto back then with Clemens. I'd have to go check on that though. Alot of Philly fans think Mitch Williams gave the Jays their ring in that series back in the eraly 90's.

Last edited by marktheviktor on Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:51 am 

He did, I forgot which year he did it though. Despite having like one good starter, their rotation post 1993 was pretty bad.

Its funny, when Halladay first came up, I wanted to see him get traded or released. Believe me, he was fucking awful. Then he got sent back to A ball, reworked his mechanics, came back up, and was actually good. I guess some pitchers are late bloomers.

Toronto dumped Chris Carpenter like garbage... not sure if that was a good or bad idea. When he was with Toronto, he wasn't that good and was then nailed with major injuries, so I guess there was no way of knowing if he would turn out to be any good. It would've been nice to see Halladay and Carpenter in their prime as a 1-2 in a rotation though.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:53 am 

I think Chris Carpenter was better suited to the NL anyhow because it was alot less of a power hitters league.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:57 am 

I'm sure he would've done fine in the AL too - he was pretty much a mediocre band-aid when Toronto didn't resign him, and St. Louis struck gold. Hindsight is 20/20. Mind you, he's been pretty injury prone the last few years as well.

Speaking of band-aids, I'm VERY curious to see how Burnett performs in New York. I really question the Yankees' logic for signing him to such a major contract.

I'd be surprised if Sabathia does anything good either.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:04 am 

As a bona-fide Yankee hater, I have faith that Burnett will be mediocre to bust due to the pressure in that town and Sabathia will probably not be as dominant either. I think he will succumb to the pressure as well plus his weight could encourage the aptness to injuries. i think he is gassed from being used so much last postseason. A couple of miles taken off his fastball.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:09 am 

Burnett is the quintessential band-aid and a total choke artist - once the New York media starts riding his ass for coughing up 7 runs in the first inning, he'll crack like a china doll.

Sabathia is a bit of a choke artist too - he hasn't done SHIT in the post season, and most of his regular season glories has been against mediocre competition. Letsee how he survives against the American League East (by FAR the toughest division in baseball).

The only Yankee who I'd feel comfortable with in the post season is Pettite, and I can't remember if he resigned with them or not. Wang is a total choke artist too. Despite their high payroll, if they make it to the post season, they'll probably tank in the first round cuz they have a bunch of mercenary hacks manning the front line).

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:13 am 

Burnett will be somewhere in between Jaret Wright and Carla Pavano. If the Yankees make the postseason, Sabathia will pull a Mama Cass for sure. Or so I hope. I also hope the Rays overtake them for division again.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:38 am 

Nothing would please me more than to see the Yankees do an epic choke like their Mets cousins. Burnett will tank, esp. once the media starts ripping him a new asshole. Assuming he doesn't get injured first. If he wins more than 12 games, I'll be amazed.

Tampa could take the division, who knows? I didn't expect them to do as well as they did last year. Also, Boston seems pretty hamstrung with injuries, so there's no reason why Tampa can't repeat last year. Hell, they have as good of a chance of making the world series as anyone in the AL.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 136  Next