Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:50 pm 

It was a great final. I didn't get bored once, which is not something I can say for a lot of men's finals. I don't know if it's just me but the women seem to be a lot less defensive, always wanting to move the ball forward and putting everything on the line. You can see how much winning means to them. I find it a lot more entertaining than the often stoic men's games. Maybe that's why the WWC has sparked something in Aus/NZ which are generally dominated by the rougher men's sports.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:30 pm 

After being 10 back a month ago, the Mariners are now on top of the AL West. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:01 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
After being 10 back a month ago, the Mariners are now on top of the AL West. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

If only the Pirates didn't fall off so hard after April. I really, really want to see them play the Mariners in a World Series one day.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:11 pm 

This stuff around the Spanish FA (RFEF) is fucking wild. Spain won the womens world cup a week ago, and very much deserved it. Celebrating the win, the president of the RFEF,, who is also vice president of UEFA, the most powerful body in world football, Luis Rubiales, kissed the star of the world cup final without her consent on her lips. She went public discussing how it made her feel, making it clear it was not consented. He has responded by having the RFEF take the player to court, accusing her of lying. The Spanish National Womens Team coaches resigned in protest at this action, and the team that won the world cup have agreed to not appear for Spain again until Rubiales is removed. The RFEF delegate for sexual violence has then launched their own protocols and investigations. Rubiales own mother then decides to lock herself inside a church beginning a hunger strike protesting the innocence of her son.

There are other issues around the womens national team that go back long before the world cup, but the drama around the RFEF president is so ridiculous not even Vince McMahon could write it.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:41 am 

Terri23 wrote:
This stuff around the Spanish FA (RFEF) is fucking wild. Spain won the womens world cup a week ago, and very much deserved it. Celebrating the win, the president of the RFEF,, who is also vice president of UEFA, the most powerful body in world football, Luis Rubiales, kissed the star of the world cup final without her consent on her lips. She went public discussing how it made her feel, making it clear it was not consented. He has responded by having the RFEF take the player to court, accusing her of lying. The Spanish National Womens Team coaches resigned in protest at this action, and the team that won the world cup have agreed to not appear for Spain again until Rubiales is removed. The RFEF delegate for sexual violence has then launched their own protocols and investigations. Rubiales own mother then decides to lock herself inside a church beginning a hunger strike protesting the innocence of her son.

There are other issues around the womens national team that go back long before the world cup, but the drama around the RFEF president is so ridiculous not even Vince McMahon could write it.

I can't believe how many people I've heard arguing that what he did was completely fine. Even if it was, I feel like he ought to get the hell out of there simply for taking the spotlight away from those who deserve it - the actual players who won the World Cup for their country. It was a well fought victory, too! I was impressed by all of the teams in the final rounds.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:46 am 

Rugby World Cup starts in a few hours. Go The All Black's!

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:42 pm 

Terri23 wrote:

That part is hilarious.

"My son is so innocent I'm not even gonna eat!"
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:34 pm 

On Saturday, the Everett Silvertips (WHL) kicked off their season with a 5-3 win against the Victoria Royals. I just moved up here in June from the eastern Mojave desert, and I'm absolutely loving how cheap season tickets for major junior hockey are; it's my first time ever doing season tickets. The games are a lot of fun; these guys play their hearts out for sure. Concessions are a lot cheaper than they are at NHL games too...

Spoiler: show

I sported my Motörhead hockey jersey and my trusty black tricorn, and will probably do so for all of the Saturday night games this year lol

Only_Perception wrote:

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:41 pm 

Josh Mcdaniels HAS to be the worst head coach in the NFL right now. Last night's decision to kick a field goal at the end was actually insane.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:01 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Josh Mcdaniels HAS to be the worst head coach in the NFL right now. Last night's decision to kick a field goal at the end was actually insane.

I love the Raiders, but after how McDaniels and Davis did both Carr and Adams last year, I'm on a hiatus from paying attention to them.

Only_Perception wrote:

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:31 pm 

And the Seattle Mariners go out with a wet fart. Castillo is up, and it's a bullpen day for maybe the worst bullpen I've seen... And they roll over and die.

if they were anywhere from mediocre to kinda bad in September they would have made the playoffs comfortably, but they spent the entire month shitting down their legs. Amazing.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:41 pm 

For the Aussies here, both the AFL and NRL grand finals lived up to expectations. Great games. Commiserations to Queensland, though. :lol:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:02 am 

Rugby World Cup 2023 quarter finals. Go the mighty All Blacks!
Well they used to be mighty, now they're just kinda mighty...but still way mightier than those useless bloody Aussies.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:55 pm 

Yahoo! All Blacks got the win over the world number 1 Ireland team who were awesome. Great game that had it all.
We now meet Argentina in the semis next weekend who got a great win over Wales earlier on.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:43 am 

Good on the All Blacks. "Useless bloody Aussies" is underselling it. They have been woeful for years.

I'm enjoying the ICC cricket world cup...speaking of woeful Aussies. :lol:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:50 am 

MikeyC wrote:

A long way to go yet. We've got off to a good start tho and I see we play you lot on the 28th. Always good fun when we play Aus.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:04 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

A long way to go yet. We've got off to a good start tho and I see we play you lot on the 28th. Always good fun when we play Aus.

Yeah it's still early but Australia need to play a lot better in their upcoming games if they want any chance of finals. Despite that, still looking forward to our game against NZ.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:45 am 

MikeyC wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Yeah it's still early but Australia need to play a lot better in their upcoming games if they want any chance of finals. Despite that, still looking forward to our game against NZ.

Holy shit you guy's have got off to a great start! Awesome century from Travis Head.

Well the ABs have made the Rugby World Cup final, taking on the old foe South Africa, it's gonna be brutal.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:31 am 

The new NBA season is upon us!

Have to say, that end to off-season was completely wild. Big thumbs up for Portland who managed three really good things. First, they got a good haul for Lillard, including both 1r picks and players who can turn into trade assets down the line if they don't work out (I like Ayton though, hope he steps up; Williams is nice too). Second, they didn't cave in and bolster this tendency for superstars to hold franchises hostage, and still get their way. And third, they did end up giving Dame what he wants, kind of - the guy was always outspoken about how he'd like to play with Giannis, and of course Milwaukee are absolutely top contenders now. Everybody can be happy.

Even Boston ffs, that swing for Jrue was crazy :lol:

If I were a betting man, Denver-Milwaukee finals would be my bet, Nuggets in 7. That team is just different. And after all, they're Bron's daddy collectively :-D

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:48 pm 

Well, Australia defeats South Africa in the cricket world cup to play India in the final.

Australia played terribly. India has been far and away the best team in this competition and they are going to absolutely poleaxe us. It's been a great ride but it ends here. No chance in any way that we'll beat them considering how this game went.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:13 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Well, Australia defeats South Africa in the cricket world cup to play India in the final.

Australia played terribly. India has been far and away the best team in this competition and they are going to absolutely poleaxe us. It's been a great ride but it ends here. No chance in any way that we'll beat them considering how this game went.

I've never been so happy to be wrong. :hyper:

ZarathustraHead wrote:

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:01 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Well done to you lot. Ended Indias great undefeated run through pool play and the semi. Aussie found form at the right time and another fantastic innings from Travis Head.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:15 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Well done to you lot. Ended Indias great undefeated run through pool play and the semi. Aussie found form at the right time and another fantastic innings from Travis Head.

Travis Head won us that final. At 3 down with only a handful of runs on the board, I was sure we'd be bowled out. Thankfully that didn't happen.

Australia's win streak was quite baffling. I don't think they played that great in their group stages. Only beat New Zealand by a few runs, got out of jail against Afghanistan, got lucky due to Sri Lanka collapsing in their batting, and then beat South Africa poorly in the semis. Thankfully good enough on the day. Commiserations to India, though - clearly the best side of the competition but fell at the final hurdle.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:26 am 

Congratulations Taylor Swift Kansas City Chiefs. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:53 pm 

Raiders fan living in Seahawks territory here - I hated everything about yesterday's game lol

Only_Perception wrote:

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:33 pm 

Quite possibly the most exciting seven days of my sports-watching life:

Last Thursday: seeing Steph Curry in person for the first time; right off the bat, he made five or six consecutive three-pointers in what ended up being a blowout win.

Sunday: Kansas City Chiefs cement their dynasty (though the final play was anticlimactic); suddenly it seems possible that I’ll live to see someone dethrone Tom Brady as the GOAT of quarterbacks - someone who’s a blast to watch in his own right.

Minutes ago: Caitlin Clark (yes, I’m on the bandwagon, but I do have family who are loyal Iowa fans) breaks the all-time NCAA women’s basketball scoring record. It was a bummer to see the team lose their previous game on Super Bowl Sunday, but this is great nonetheless.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:02 am 

Don't forget you got to see my beloved Wolverines win the NCAA National Championship.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:14 pm 

For those in America, our NRL season starts in about an hour with 2 games being played at Allegiant Stadium in Vegas. I still can't believe that it's happening. A lot of tickets sold, apparently, but I'd like to know how many were given away. Do Americans care so much about Australian sport? I suppose we'll find out soon.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:19 pm 

I can't remember which show it was that I watched recently (might have been Ted Lasso) but one coach from the US described rugby league as a mixture between American Football and sumo-wrestling. So in theory, Americans should love it :-D

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:13 pm 

Hahaha, okay, I suppose they will. :D

ZarathustraHead wrote:

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:39 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
For those in America, our NRL season starts in about an hour with 2 games being played at Allegiant Stadium in Vegas. I still can't believe that it's happening. A lot of tickets sold, apparently, but I'd like to know how many were given away. Do Americans care so much about Australian sport? I suppose we'll find out soon.

A friend of mine from San Diego who plays rugby was there to see it! It looked like a good turnout and a good time.

Only_Perception wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136