Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:07 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:
I think you guys are overanalyzing it too much. All I know is that I heard the solo and it sounded awesome...I didn't stop to think "is this solo as creative as other ones" or "how hard is it to play this solo"...no I just heard it and it touched my soul that's it.
You've misunderstood. I never said anything about technicality, and creativity very obviously reflects in quality - how outstanding the solo is. I do like "nice" solos like that even if they aren't exceptionally creative or impressive, but I oviously like those outstanding solos more.

I'm referring to the entire sound of the band during the time that the guitar solo is being played, not just the greatness of the solo by itself. I think it would suck if not for the rest of the band. The reason that section is so amazing is because the band works together as a whole, and the guitar solo, although probably not great on its own, makes the song be awesome at that part.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:21 pm 

agentsteel666 wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:
I think you guys are overanalyzing it too much. All I know is that I heard the solo and it sounded awesome...I didn't stop to think "is this solo as creative as other ones" or "how hard is it to play this solo"...no I just heard it and it touched my soul that's it.
You've misunderstood. I never said anything about technicality, and creativity very obviously reflects in quality - how outstanding the solo is. I do like "nice" solos like that even if they aren't exceptionally creative or impressive, but I oviously like those outstanding solos more.

I'm referring to the entire sound of the band during the time that the guitar solo is being played, not just the greatness of the solo by itself. I think it would suck if not for the rest of the band. The reason that section is so amazing is because the band works together as a whole, and the guitar solo, although probably not great on its own, makes the song be awesome at that part.

But the second solo somewhat mars the effect of the first one. I know why it is supposed to be that way and all, but it drones on for a bit. Even the first sounds more and more like a standard rock ballad solo to me, beautiful tone there but that's all and when did Gilmour not have a beautiful tone?

bloodovsothis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:51 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
RageW wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:
Currently listening to Floyd. The guitar solo in Comfortably Numb convinces me that Pink Floyd kicks ass...you could throw away everything else they've ever done...with that guitar solo they have my appreciation.

I always thought the solo from Time was far more badass. But yeah, Comfortably Numb rules.
My vote goes to Time on this one. Comfortably Numb is rather overrated in my opinion, if still a very good song.
Despite those two being great songs, Dogs has the best solo of them all.

Bow Down to none...For no God is Greater than You!

My Youtube

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:38 am 

saintinhell wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:

But the second solo somewhat mars the effect of the first one. I know why it is supposed to be that way and all, but it drones on for a bit. Even the first sounds more and more like a standard rock ballad solo to me, beautiful tone there but that's all and when did Gilmour not have a beautiful tone?

Oh wait there's two solos? I'm pretty certain that I'm referring to the second one. I forgot there was another one. But yeah I'm referring to the second one just to clear things up.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:05 am 

agentsteel666 wrote:
Oh wait there's two solos? I'm pretty certain that I'm referring to the second one. I forgot there was another one. But yeah I'm referring to the second one just to clear things up.

The second is the menacing, edgy, metallic one and the first is the sweet, sorrowful one. The second is also much longer and a fade-out.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:13 am 

bloodovsothis wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
RageW wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:
Currently listening to Floyd. The guitar solo in Comfortably Numb convinces me that Pink Floyd kicks ass...you could throw away everything else they've ever done...with that guitar solo they have my appreciation.

I always thought the solo from Time was far more badass. But yeah, Comfortably Numb rules.
My vote goes to Time on this one. Comfortably Numb is rather overrated in my opinion, if still a very good song.
Yeah, it is awesome. Just that out of those two, Time wins hands down.

I love the second guitar solo of Dogs because of how full of emotion it is. It's one of my favourite Pink Floyd guitar solos. Guitar leads in Dogs are all awesome, and it's my favourite song when just chilling out inside and watching the snow fall outdoors.

The solo in the beginning of Shine On You Crazy Diamond ranks in my top three probably. It's so stylish, elegant and still emotional at the same time. Completely genius. Also, I think the rather long guitar solo in the end of Pigs is a tad underrated. Very climatic and full of awesome and win.

Is anyone else here a big fan of the bluesy, very melancholic keyboard intro to Sheep? I think it might be Wright's best.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:31 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

I love the second guitar solo of Dogs because of how full of emotion it is. It's one of my favourite Pink Floyd guitar solos. Guitar leads in Dogs are all awesome, and it's my favourite song when just chilling out inside and watching the snow fall outdoors.

The solo in the beginning of Shine On You Crazy Diamond ranks in my top three probably. It's so stylish, elegant and still emotional at the same time. Completely genius. Also, I think the rather long guitar solo in the end of Pigs is a tad underrated. Very climatic and full of awesome and win.

Is anyone else here a big fan of the bluesy, very melancholic keyboard intro to Sheep? I think it might be Wright's best.

Dogs is neck to neck with Echoes for my favourite Floyd song. Nice contrast - one is edgy and driving, the other is dreamy and atmospheric. Shine on goes in my overrated pile, sorry. :P Yes, the Pigs solo is very nice but marred by a pointless middle section where nothing much happens. My least favourite of the three epics in Animals but that's more because Dogs and Sheep are so awesome. I don't really think of the Sheep intro as melancholic, it's quite trippy actually, whatever, it rules, especially considering how it leads into that massive riff.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:33 pm 

Right, want to just put forth a question here: favourite Floyd vocalist? Roger Waters for me. Gilmour had the best voice, Wright was more emotional but Waters just brought everything I look for in a prog vocalist.

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:36 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

I love both of those. Animals is probably my favorite Floyd record on the whole. It's the one that I find myself coming back to again and again, while for the other Gilmour/Waters-era records (excluding Meddle and Atom Heart Mother) I have to revisit them only once or so a year, otherwise they just get stale to me.

Dogs is probably my favorite Floyd song ever other than Echoes and Sheep.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:05 pm 

saintinhell wrote:
Right, want to just put forth a question here: favourite Floyd vocalist? Roger Waters for me. Gilmour had the best voice, Wright was more emotional but Waters just brought everything I look for in a prog vocalist.
I don't really like Waters as a vocalist. His voice isn't all that impressive, and I really don't like those high-pitched shouted vocals. I don't recall any particularily impressive melodies by him either.

Gilmour has a very charismatic voice, and some of his melodies are extremely good. Wright has a powerful voice, but it's the type of a voice I'm not a big fan of. Many of his melodies are just unforgettable though. My favourite moments are when they sing in harmony, and I don't mind if Waters also sings.

AcidBiker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:54 pm 

I was a hell of a lot more of a fan before I began to start listening to metal almost exclusively. In fact I'm really disappointed I missed The Australian Pink Floyd show, which was here just a couple days ago. I saw it once, when my friend came up to me in school and asked if I wanted to go for free. It was a really good show and I hope I get off my lazy ass next year and buy a ticket.

I still love Pink Floyd. Animals and Wish You Were Here are my favorites. Bought Dark Side on vinyl just a couple months ago.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:57 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
The solo in the beginning of Shine On You Crazy Diamond ranks in my top three probably. It's so stylish, elegant and still emotional at the same time. Completely genius.

I have to agree with you here. Shine on you Crazy Diamond pts. 1-5 is no doubt my favourite Floyd song, just because the beginning and build up of the song.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:04 pm 

Pink Floyd is one of my favourite bands outside of metal. They haven't released anything that wasn't pure gold, ever. Not a lot of bands manage to release an entire discography of awesome releases.

The Piper At The Gates of Dawn is probably my favourite though, followed by Dark Side Of The Moon. I love the Bike song... :p Astronomy Domine is also just awesome. Piper seems to be an underrated record overall, since a lot of people seem to prefer their other albums.

Their worst album is probably The Wall, but that still rules so it's all good.
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

NocturnalHolocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:09 pm 

saintinhell wrote:

For me, it's Gilmour. His voice in "Wish You Were Here" is excellent. That being said, Waters isn't bad either.

I checked out Meddle for the first time and wasn't impressed. It wasn't bad, but it didn't do the trick for me. Also, could someone please tell what is the heaviest Pink Floyd song? I've seen "Empty Spaces" get a mention, but I've already checked that one out.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:02 am 

NocturnalHolocaust wrote:
Also, could someone please tell what is the heaviest Pink Floyd song? I've seen "Empty Spaces" get a mention, but I've already checked that one out.

In The Flesh, Another Brick In The Wall Part-3, Dogs (the close has that big riff), Waiting For The Worms. You'll find the heavy stuff mostly on Animals and The Wall because they were more hard rock-oriented than anything they did before or after.

Also, just give Meddle some time to work its magic. Doesn't hit you initially because it's not as accessible as Dark Side or WYWH. Even after, none of the songs are extraordinary...except Echoes. But for Echoes, it's worth the price of the album!

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:12 am 

Anyone here a fan of A Momentary Lapse of Reason?

It seems like it's often under-appreciated.

NocturnalHolocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:39 am 

saintinhell wrote:
Also, could someone please tell what is the heaviest Pink Floyd song? I've seen "Empty Spaces" get a mention, but I've already checked that one out.

In The Flesh, Another Brick In The Wall Part-3, Dogs (the close has that big riff), Waiting For The Worms. You'll find the heavy stuff mostly on Animals and The Wall because they were more hard rock-oriented than anything they did before or after.

Also, just give Meddle some time to work its magic. Doesn't hit you initially because it's not as accessible as Dark Side or WYWH. Even after, none of the songs are extraordinary...except Echoes. But for Echoes, it's worth the price of the album!

Thanks. I'll definitely check those out.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:42 am 

I love Pink Floyd, almost everything they've done. My favourites are Piper, and Wish You We're Here.

I thought the Wall was scary as fuck too, but I was tripping on acid.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:23 pm 

bloodovsothis wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
RageW wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:

My favourite is actually Fat Old Sun. :lol:

I guess Gilmour fucking kicks arse at guitar solos.
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

Exosstate_Bass
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:00 pm 

i love almost all their stuff, great band

sarcotalica
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:55 pm 

love them and in my opinion they give me a more melancholy, depressed or trippy feeling any "atmospheric" black metal band can give me (no offense BM fans BTW i like BM)

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:59 pm 

Truly an amazing band. Dan Lucas does not trust anybody who doesn't like Pink Floyd. Where do you even start to describe their brilliance?

I'd love to see these live, it'd be an experience better than anything else in the world, I'd wager.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:05 pm 

DanFuckingLucas wrote:
I'd love to see these live, it'd be an experience better than anything else in the world, I'd wager.

I saw Roger Waters when he toured here...last year, or maybe it was the year before, and even that was amazing. Still wish it'd been the whole band, but what are you going to do? They played Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety as the second set. Was fantastic.

fluff987
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:04 pm 

I'm a little overly obsessed with them. I even have the Tree full of Secrets box. 18 discs of rarities. Not to mention I even have Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports album and Rick Wrights crappy Zee project.

AlbertMond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:23 am 

saintinhell wrote:

Also try "What Shall We Do, Now?", "Young Lust", "Not Now, John", "Nile Song", and "Ibiza Bar".

Morbidreich
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:20 am 

Around a year or so ago I really started rediscovering a lot of Floyd stuff I use to love as well as albums that I had for a long time found to be extremely overrated, and thus had problems enjoying. My favorite era of Pink Floyd was always the pre Dark Side material. So many people who only know the more popular albums are rather clueless of the amazing stuff Pink Floyd did on those first seven albums.

For years I didn't care much for albums like Dark Side or The Wall simply because I found them so overrated, but now I rather enjoy both especially Dark Side. Waters was and is an amazing songwriter and a musical visionary, but I think Floyd started to lose what made them special by the time he was taking more and more creative control over the band. Animals was one of the albums when I was younger that really got me into the band. I still think it's a great album, but that was certainly the start of the tensions between Roger and the others. The Final Cut is an amazing album although it's more of a Waters solo record than a Floyd album. I guess you can also say A Momentary lapse of Reason was more like a Gilmour solo album than a real Floyd album as well.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:56 am 

I love Floyd but I haven't listened to them in awhile until recently again. They're one of the few long standing bands that have put out maybe several misfires in their career but never a bad album. Everything they have recorded was done elegantly with supurb musicianship.
They certainly had distinct eras. I very much like the Barrett period. Piper always is a very interesting album though not the best. Saucerful was a bit of a hodge podge of unevenness but is among my favorites from them. And it featured them as a five-piece.
Ummagumma wasn't that great at all but it had a song or two that was ok.
I haven't heard any of More or Atom Heart Mother but the general consensus is that the latter was very much an experimental though interesting misfire.
Meddle is one of my favorite Floyd albums with Echoes and One if These Days probably being the heaviest songs from them.
I haven't heard Obscured By Clouds which is apparently forgettable by Floyd standards. Dark Side of the Moon was awesome when I first heard it but overrated to me now. I agree that Gilmore's solo on time is pure awesomness.
Wish You Were Here is undoubtedly their most beloved by Floyd freaks and I can see why. Love that one. Animals extremely underrated and glad to see some people here in admiration of it. Yep, Dave Gilmore's solos in Dogs is probably his best. Oh and Animals clearly marked the Roger Waters dominated era of the band.
I'm still torn on my opinion of The Wall in retrospect. It's a great and classic album but as a Pink Floyd album, it loses me a bit. It sounds too much like a Pink Floyd-backed Roger Waters album sans Richard Wright. Comfortably Numb is an overrated song that has a good solo but goes on forever. And I'm sick of hearing it on the radio now.
Haven't heard The Final Cut or all of that apparently pseudo-Gilmore solo effort that was A Momentary Lapse of Reason so I can't comment on those.
The Division Bell though is veeeery underrated all things considered. I love every track on there. Very soothing and has great songwriting.
So yeah, they were an excellent band whose records back in the day must have sounded even more incredible when they first came out.

Metalich
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:58 pm 

I caught the tour for Division Bell, and it was probably the best live show I've seen. Seriously, the total effect of the music and all the stage lights/set up was amazing. We even got flaming war pigs for "One Of These Days".

Then again, that could be the HUGE smoke cloud dominating the Silverdome talking also. Those of us in the nosebleed seats never had a chance :p

Rock_On
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:04 pm 

Pink Floyd are great, "Dark Side Of The Moon" is one of the best albums!

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:59 pm 

Rock_On wrote:
Pink Floyd are great, "Dark Side Of The Moon" is one of the best albums!

I listened to that on the bus earlier today, and I think it's definitely Floyd's best.
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

WompRat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:01 pm 

Pink Floyd is my all time favorite band outside of Metal. I love everything about them. They are one of the greatest bands to me, and I love all their albums, but If I had to choose one, it would probably be "Wish you where here". I love that album. but my collection is pretty sad. I only have "Dark side of the Moon" and "Wish you where here". I wish i had enough money for all of their albums.

hellhippie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:45 pm 

i'm a huge floyd fan, only with waters though , i still can't understand how people hate them
Demons, devils, dark spirits
From church horror tales
The hordes of dead roar...

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:47 pm 

hellhippie wrote:
i'm a huge floyd fan, only with waters though , i still can't understand how people hate them

It seems the admirers out number the haters.

Moravian_black_moon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:00 pm 

I'm not a big fan of the Syd era. Animals is my favorite, followed by Wish You Were Here. I'm actually surprised how much praise Animals is getting here. The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon usually overshadow the rest everywhere else.

hellhippie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:19 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
hellhippie wrote:

It seems the admirers out number the haters.

yep. good! my favorite would have to be wish you were , i mean welcome to the machine c'mon that's heavy as hell , a close second would be the wall . i will never get sick of it unlike Darkside which sad to say just like most zep , hendrix , and alot of blues i love is just so so overplayed i don't think i ever need to listen to it again .
Demons, devils, dark spirits
From church horror tales
The hordes of dead roar...

TornadoOfSouls66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:23 pm 

They would be okay, but I have heard "The Wall" played like 8000 times on the radio, and that just made me sick of them.

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:28 pm 

I love all Pink Floyd and are among one of my favourite bands. Though, admittedly, I don't care for Dark Side of the Moon, A Momentary Lapse of Reason or The Division Bell. Other than that, I love this band. Bike is such a great song :D

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:16 pm 

TornadoOfSouls66 wrote:
They would be okay, but I have heard "The Wall" played like 8000 times on the radio, and that just made me sick of them.

That was almost the case with me but I am only sick of the songs from The Wall that are constantly played on the FM.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:00 pm 

I love Pink Floyd, especially their older material. The Wall sucked though, except maybe a few songs.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:13 am 

Pink Floyd pwns. They are defiantly one of my favorite rock bands, and my favorite band from the 60's/70's.

Last FM

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next