Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:49 pm 

lastdodobird wrote:
Superman with long ponytail + facial hair = WINNER (hehehe)

Does he have a yeard? :D

:oh shit:

Darkscapes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:00 pm 

I liked The Backwoods by Edward Lee. It was based in a crabbing/fishing community so I guess I was a bit partial to it.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:08 am 

How is The Dark Knight Strikes Again? I just re-read The Dark Knight Returns and was wondering if I should pick up the sequel...

vonDread
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:30 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
How is The Dark Knight Strikes Again? I just re-read The Dark Knight Returns and was wondering if I should pick up the sequel...

From everything I've heard, it's complete ass.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:32 am 

I'm very interested in that one, but it looks like they've taken the concept of TDKR too far.

vonDread
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:43 am 

My recommendations:

Non-superhero stuff
100 Bullets
Casanova
Criminal
DMZ
Fell
Hellblazer
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Preacher
Sin City
Transmetropolitan
The Walking Dead
Y: The Last Man

And if you can actually manage to ignore the inexplicable, bullshit stigma associated with the genre, superhero stuff:
Alias
All-Star Superman
Astonishing X-Men (by Whedon and Cassaday)
The Authority (by Ellis and Hitch, followed by Millar and Quitely)
Batman: The Long Halloween (+ the sequel Dark Victory)
Captain America (by Brubaker)
Daredevil (by Bendis and Maleev, followed by Brubaker and Lark)
The Dark Knight Returns
Doom Patrol (by Grant Morrison)
Fantastic Four (by Waid and Wieringo)
Hitman
Immortal Iron Fist
Invincible
JLA (by Grant Morrison)
Planetary
Powers
The Punisher (by Garth Ennis)
Rising Stars
Stormwatch (by Ellis)
Top 10
The Ultimates
+ the aforementioned Watchmen

Johnie_Duper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:27 am 

I'm thinking about getting the Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer book, but it costs like Au$80 in my local store, & shipping from overseas would take a shitload amount of time. So, is the book worth either choice?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:05 am 

vonDread wrote:
From everything I've heard, it's complete ass.

Heh OK, I guess I'll download it before buying then...

Some excellent recommendations on your list, by the way. :thumbsup:

BloodAndSemen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:31 pm 

i really liked TDKR and the killing joke, i'd also suggest Kraven's last hunt. another one that has really stuck with me is Godspeed Kurt Cobain, which was just brilliant

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:10 pm 

vonDread wrote:
And if you can actually manage to ignore the inexplicable, bullshit stigma associated with the genre, superhero stuff:

What the fuck stigma are you talking about? The X-Men and Spiderman movies, as well as the Batman movies, are among the most popular movies of all-time. Hlel, if only there were a damn stigma, since the stuff sucks so damn much. :p

Stacia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:54 am 

Best Graphic Novel ever -
http://www.randomhouse.com/pantheon/gra ... khole.html
BLACK HOLE by Charles Burns

vonDread
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:04 am 

Stacia wrote:
Best Graphic Novel ever -
http://www.randomhouse.com/pantheon/gra ... khole.html
BLACK HOLE by Charles Burns

I'll have to check that out. I've heard good stuff and I see it every time I peruse the graphic novel section at Chapters.

vonDread
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:34 am 

Morrigan wrote:
The X-Men and Spiderman movies, as well as the Batman movies, are among the most popular movies of all-time.

The movies are one thing, the source material is another. How many people do you know who liked those movies also reads the comics they're based on? Among my friends, family, and co-workers, only a handful. Most people I know wouldn't touch them (despite my continued efforts) even if they liked the movies. It's been my experience that reading superhero comics is still seen as the sole domain of kids and obsessive geeks. The movies are helping to bring superheroes more into the mainstream than they've ever been before. But from everything I've read, the movies are not bringing new readers into the comic stores. One of my (two) local retailers actually stopped ordering new comics due to lack of readership. The comics industry as a whole isn't really doing very well, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

It's complete bullshit that people are still turned away from superhero comics despite the fact that the movies based on them have been raking in truckloads of cash over the past few years. You don't know what you're missing, cause there are so many great superhero stories out there that will never hit the big screen. The Order, Miracleman, Blue Beetle, Astro City, Animal Man, Geoff Johns' JSA, whatever, I could go on but it's beside the point. I'm just of the opinion that a good story is a good story, and a good character is a good character. Who gives a shit if he wears colorful tights? I don't know, maybe it's just that people are lazy, but I've only seen them interested in superhero movies, not comics.

Shovel
Wyruld Cyninga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:17 am 

Ill throw the Dark Horse Conan series in there, since no one has yet. Also, The Goon.

I'll second the Walking Dead. Excellent series.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:27 pm 

At least I'm consistent. I don't watch superhero movies anymore than I read the stupid comics. I did watch a few Batman flicks (mostly because I was around people who wanted to see them), and Batman Begins was an all right action flick, but I couldn't care less otherwise.

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:32 am 

Well, I FINALLY finished reading Watchmen. It started out fucking cool, but then it became a little too ridiculous and boring near the end. I mean, that ending definantly had me scratching my head. It made sense and all, but I just couldn't help but feel a sense of,"Huh?! Wha?!" It felt kinda...I don't know, rushed maybe? Or maybe it was just...out there. I don't know.

All in all, pretty entertaining read and definantly worth checking out. Now I understand why the fans think the movie is gonna suck. I gotta agree with them on this one, I don't know how they could make a movie out the graphic novel without it being terrible. It had too many things that would be impossible to pull off on screen...unless they make it extremely long, but from what I read the movie will barely reach the 2 hour mark. Only time will tell I guess.

FenrirsWrath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:28 am 

Wolverine Origins is actually a pretty good series for a mainstream marvel book. One of the few I still follow from scans.

I would highly recommend Age of Reptiles of Dark Horse and Scalped of Vertigo.
Also which have already been mentioned Watchmen,Sin City, 100 bullets,Batman Arkham Asylum, Preacher and Hellblazer.

I think The Killing Joke is over rated and did not really enjoy it. I also could not stand the art in Dark Knight Returns and the story was good but not great in my opinion.

Superman-wise I really cant stand anything that has to do with the character besides Red son and Lex Luthor Man of Steel. If anyone could recommend other books of him in the same ilk I'd be appreciative.

BloodRose
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:29 pm 

I think the graphic part of graphic novels makes the reading experience more entertaining. I especially love looking at the artwork in them. :smile:

vonDread
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:36 am 

FenrirsWrath wrote:
Wolverine Origins is actually a pretty good series for a mainstream marvel book. One of the few I still follow from scans.

Personally, I can't stand that book. The last thing they needed to add to Wolverine's mythos was a douchebag son. He already has a clone for fuck's sake.

Quote:
I would highly recommend Age of Reptiles of Dark Horse and Scalped of Vertigo.

Age of Reptiles I haven't heard of, but Scalped looks really fucking good. Been meaning to get into that one. Also, Northlanders, Brian Wood's Vertigo book set in the Viking age.

Quote:
Superman-wise I really cant stand anything that has to do with the character besides Red son and Lex Luthor Man of Steel. If anyone could recommend other books of him in the same ilk I'd be appreciative.

All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely is the best take on the character I've ever read. The last issue, #12, just came out. It's not in continuity with the mainstream DC universe, and that established Grant Morrison weirdness is evident throughout, but it incorporates pretty much every classic element of the Superman mythos.

Other miscellaneous recommendations:

Blue Beetle
Ex Machina
Fables
The Flash (by Geoff Johns)
The Order
Queen & Country
Starman

crustfungus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:43 pm 

hippiedrow wrote:
pseudodraconis wrote:
I'd like to get into graphic novels. I've read some of Sandman, and I really like it. I read V for Vendetta and thought it was neat. The library had Watchmen there once, and I regret not grabbing it when I saw it, because I haven't seen it since. I hear about it, with the movie coming up and all, a lot.

Sandman rules, but they cost $19.95 each over here. :(

Sandman does rule pretty hard. I get em on ebay or half.com for way cheaper than the usual 20$. I got preludes and nocturnes for 11$ after shipping!
The Doll House and The Kindly Ones are my favorite out of the volumes Ive read

SugarFolk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:28 am 

Personally I've never bought any graphic novels, so I kind of just read what I can find in the libraries. Hellblazer, The Sandman and Dark Knight Returns are definitely recommended. Some of the titles published by Top Cow (e.g. The Darkness, First Born) have beautiful art works in them, but I haven't been following the stories too closely (seems that the libraries only have a few issues). Still worth checking out though.

The Sandman was the first graphic novel that I've came across, and I really enjoyed it. The kindly Ones is a favourite:)

A few people here mentioned The Long Halloween, which is on my 'to read list' at the moment. Hmm must try get my hands on a copy of it.

crustfungus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:53 pm 

I take back what I posted. Brief Lives, which I just read today, is now my favorite.

SeriousBoner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:17 pm 

Many of these have been said but some of my favorites :
Watchmen (of course everyone has backed, these books set the groundwork for a lot of comics later)
Transmetropolitan
Invisibles
100 Bullets
The Walking Dead
Y The Last Man
Preacher

The_Corinthian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:58 am 

Obviously Watchmen is great, as is V for Vendetta. But don't expect V to be remotely like the movie, because it's not. Sandman is fucking brilliant. I've read through the series twice, and it's even better the second time. The way all of the mythical concepts, mixed with religious themes and ancient god references, combined with the fact that every tiny facet comes together in the end, make it an incredible ride.
Hush1 and Hush2 are awesome batman, as is Long Halloween, Dark Victory, and Haunted Knight. Kingdom Come is rad. Top 10 is bitchin. Transmetropolitan is amazing. Fables is absolutely stunning, and I highly suggest that. All Star Batman and Robin is pretty great. But honestly, I didn't really like Dark Knight Returns, or TDKSA. It mostly comes from an artist standpoint, because the art, although stylized, it was dumb as shit.
The Corinthian is a creation of Dream. His most notable physical feature is his lack of eyes: in their place, two rows of small jagged teeth line each eye socket. The Corinthian often wears sunglasses to cover this up.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2