Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:16 am 

immortalshadow666 wrote:
Olio, don't you know smoking stunts your growth? ;)

Really? It's been almost 3 years since I started smoking and I've been growing like crazy since then :scratch:. It did stop growing for a bit in between, but I'm probably the tallest teenager in the family right now :scratch:

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:10 am 

It's just an old wives tale, like "if you don't eat your greens you'll fade to a shadow" and "eating the crusts on bread makes your hair go curly".

My cousins been smoking since he was 16 and kept growing until 3 years ago. He just turned 30.

lurkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:33 pm 

immortalshadow666 wrote:
...kept growing until 3 years ago. He just turned 30.

That's either an unfortunate medical condition, or bullshit.

Anyway, I came to say that after contributing to this thread back in July (page 3 or 4 or something), I quit cold turkey in september after about 15 years of smoking. Tomorrow will be 6 months to the day, so I'm pretty sure I've cracked it!

Side effects- I don't do any other drugs and I barely touch alcohol so I'm downing tea, coffee and sweets like a bastard! This means my lungs are saved but my liver, heart, colon and teeth are bang in trouble!

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:21 am 

lurkist wrote:
immortalshadow666 wrote:
...kept growing until 3 years ago. He just turned 30.

That's either an unfortunate medical condition, or bullshit.

Nope. He's a little under 190cm now, so not absurdly tall or anything. And just one day when he was 27... "Oh hay guise, I grew an inch."

As for you, well done on the quitting! :D

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:06 pm 

It must be cuz I'm Asian, I'm about 180 cm and everyone says I'm abnormally tall :)

Anybody who's tried quitting use nicotine patches or nicorettes or the like?

CryptosGrimm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:28 pm 

Quit cold turkey back in '98.

BoyD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:55 am 

Indonesian Cigarettes were fuckin' good .. anybody had try it yet...!!

SfB_5
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:08 am 

I smoke roll-ups most of the time, and my choices are based on price, not flavour. Usually amber leaf, or when I can get it, lucky strike.

As far as tailor-mades go I go for Raffles or Superkings black, they last for a while and they taste pretty good. Superkings can be a bit bland but they're ok in small doses.

Devilchild696
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:27 pm 

Camels are my favorite kind of cigarettes, specifically the No. 9's, Camel Wides and these ones that where like Camel Jade or something it was a type of camel menthol but different then the plain menthols but those are hard to find.

I also like Kamels and American Spirit and occasionaly I smoke prime times or things simular to that.

However I absolutely hate Marlboro, if its all i have i will smoke it but i really dislike them. Oh and parliaments are pretty nasty to.

HiverGlacial
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:34 pm 

My smoking is always on and off for some reason. But it always leads down to Export A blue, fuck I love em'.

Andras13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:24 pm 

I recently quit smoking. I have been without a cigarette for a little over six weeks now. I was smoking about 3/4 a pack a day and tapered down for a week, then quit. I am poor so I was rolling my own with an injector. As a treat every now and then I would buy myself a pack of Camel Wides. I did some time, about 2 1/2 years actually, other than that I smoked for about 5 years. There are still hard days six and a half weeks into my endeavor but I do feel better overall. As a matter of fact, I will begin teaching a smoking cessation group next week. I wish you the best of luck when you decide to quit. It will be hard, but it can be done.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:49 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:
immortalshadow666 wrote:
Olio, don't you know smoking stunts your growth? ;)

Really? It's been almost 3 years since I started smoking and I've been growing like crazy since then :scratch:. It did stop growing for a bit in between, but I'm probably the tallest teenager in the family right now :scratch:

Dammit man, I told you not to smoke that shit growing in Fangorn forest.

I started smoking tobacco recently. I don't buy cigarettes though, I prefer to roll 'em or smoke 'em with a pipe. Usually get a bag of American Spirit plain or Cavendish. Good stuff.

Clappamungus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:54 pm 

I smoked for around ten years. Number per day depended on stress levels/boredom/availability. I was never really a heavy smoker (well, except when I was writing my thesis and when I was in Europe...and/or when I was drinking...), but it was starting to affect my health more and more.

Then, last March, I just decided to quit. It was surprisingly easy once I'd actually made the hard decision. I'm lucky like that.

I do miss rolling my own, though. There was something incredibly soothing about that little ritual.
In hono(r) of Ko(r)n, I am going to type eve(r)y occu(r)(r)ence of the lette(r) "(r)" with a set of pa(r)entheses to signify the impo(r)tant meaning and symbolism that spelling it backwa(r)ds in the band name has fo(r) my life.

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 am 

I'm being somewhat converted from Benson and Hedges gold to Camel Blue at the moment.

AHumanBeing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:49 pm 

Haven't smoked since last month, when a buddy of mine busted out a Cuban, which was nice.

I used to smoke maybe a pack a week (did this for maybe 3 years) of DuMaurier KS Reds. I gradually smoked less and less, mostly because of the grief my girlfriend was giving me but also because I found that I was becoming slightly nauseous every time I smoked.

I quit for good about 6 months ago, though I still enjoy the occasional cigar once in a while whilst out with the boys.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:16 pm 

My last cigarette was two Saturdays ago. It was hard for about the first 4 days now I only think about them when someone else is smoking them, but I don't get crazy urges to smoke them. It is tempting, but its something easily overcomeable. I find that when I drink a good substitute for them is a Black and Mild. I just don't smoke them other than when I'm at a party or when I'm just chillin on the weekends at the park or something.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:20 pm 

Anyone know the average black market price for an authentic Cuban cigar? I've always been curious.

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:27 pm 

I've only had smoked once... it was a fake dollar :P... Since Im a passive tabbaco/ weed smoker I didn't coff

Smeg_head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:48 pm 

i dont know if u get it elsewhere, but here (uk), on the cigarette packs u get these really disgusting pics of what smoking does to u. But if ur a smoker its not gonna make a difference, u'll still smoke and just turn the pack around so u cant see the pic. Cigarette breath reeks.

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:17 pm 

Smeg_head wrote:
i dont know if u get it elsewhere, but here (uk), on the cigarette packs u get these really disgusting pics of what smoking does to u. But if ur a smoker its not gonna make a difference, u'll still smoke and just turn the pack around so u cant see the pic. Cigarette breath reeks.

They introduced those here a few years ago. It doesn't make much difference at all to me, and especially if I get one with a pack with a pregnant woman that tells me "Smoking is harming my unborn baby."

Cigarette breath isn't the greatest I'll admit, but I'll absolutely take that over coffee or onion breath.

Also, nice name. ;)

Omnivore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:56 pm 

I smoke roll-ups. One reason is that it's cheaper and the supply lasts longer than buying packed cigs, the other is that I hear it's less lethal and last of all it takes some time and effort to roll one so I just can't smoke 3 cigs in a row. I'm 16 and I started since September. I've steadily increased my smoking from 3 cigarettes to about 6 cigarettes a day now (except on weekends and Wednesdays), and I feel I'm going to far. I wan't to keep it under control because I enjoy cigarettes during morning breaks, after lunch and after classes to chill out a bit more.

Can someone honestly tell me which is slightly better, rolled cigs or ready made cigs? Because I don't want to ruin my lungs too much. My tobacco isn't famous (High Leaf) and I take thin papers and slim filters (which reduces the amount of tobacco I put in).

Yazalde70
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:24 pm 

I reckon roll ups would be better just because of the effort of rolling
versus the how easy it is to reach for a twenty pack.
At least with me works that way, plus roll ups are stronger and in theory
it will take you longer to smoke another one.

I smoke almost 50 grams of Golden Virginia a week and haven't died
yet cough, cough! Not to mention the weed...

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:50 am 

For the Australian smokers. Enjoying a cigarette just became that little bit harder!

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 11,00.html

- Tim Minchin

madbringer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:13 am 

Fuck cigs, they're getting waaaaaay too expensive. In Poland, it's now like this - you can either grab a pack of decent smokes, and that will last for 2-4 (on average i guess, depends on how much one smokes) days, or you can grab a bag of tobacco and 2 packs of leafs for the same cash, and have it last for 2 weeks. The choice is obvious, although i hate how roll-ups make my index finger and thumb yellow. :ugh:

Sepulturafreak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:42 pm 

Rollies made with Drum/Drum Gold ftw

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:29 am 

DeathcoreDecimator wrote:
My last cigarette was two Saturdays ago. It was hard for about the first 4 days now I only think about them when someone else is smoking them, but I don't get crazy urges to smoke them. It is tempting, but its something easily overcomeable. I find that when I drink a good substitute for them is a Black and Mild. I just don't smoke them other than when I'm at a party or when I'm just chillin on the weekends at the park or something.

My last one was three months ago. I still get some mild urges when I'm around people or places where it is commonplace (the snooker lounge last weekend, for example) but for now it's only marijuana smoke for me.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:39 am 

madbringer wrote:
Fuck cigs, they're getting waaaaaay too expensive.

The price of cigs has remained constant here in Pakistan in the last 5 years despite the increasing prices of virtually everything else. You can get one cigarette for 5 rupees, and a pack for anything around 60-100, depending on the brand. (One US dollar is 70+ pakistani rupees, iirc, which means a pack costs around a dollar)

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:19 am 

Yeah, don't you guys have inflation of around 25% or something bastardly like that?

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:22 am 

immortalshadow666 wrote:
Yeah, don't you guys have inflation of around 25% or something bastardly like that?

It's bigger than that with certain items (my mom told me that the price of 1 dozen bananas doubled last year) but the price of cigarettes has remained constant throughout all the inflation.

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:25 am 

It's amazing how that can happen in some countries, they can't provide the basics but poisonous sticks that cause cancer can remain cheap and available. :P

madbringer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:28 am 

Pack for a dollar is more or less how much cigs cost in Poland, not really all that long ago. 5 years, maybe 6. The price gradually rose, though, now reaching ridiculous (for Polish standards) heights. I seriously prefer to roll me some roll-ups, it's cheaper and i don't smoke that much coz i'm a lazy bastard and can't be arsed to roll all the time.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:55 pm 

We just got a big tax hike on tobacco here in the States, up around 62 cents in most places just for a pack of smokes. Fine by me if cigs go up, but it also applies to pipe and shag tobacco too, which sucks but isn't going to stop most of us.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:36 am 

Smokeless cigerettes are the worst. They only make me crave a real tobacco stick. They taste like lead and styrene.

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:40 am 

I had my first mouthful of chewing Skoal the other day. Friend of mine works with a Canadian who sold him a tin of cherry flavoured skoal, we tried it at my mates place, it was really good! :D

finnthor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:49 am 

i started to smoke at 12, in rehab, influenced by the other kids. My parents didn't smoke. in my early 20's I quit for 6 years, just like that, no patches nothing. To do so, you have to be extremely motivated, as long as it feels imposed, frustration will make you relapse. As a smoker, I was very passionate and tried everything except chewing tobacco. For a while, I smoked rolled pipe tobacco cigarettes. I find american cigarettes a bit perfumy, and I didn't get to try many cigarettes from around the world, only what you find in stores. I definately like something strong: no milds or lights for me. I started to smoke again with colts. One day I ran out and borrowed a cigarette. That got me started over again. Since then, I have made several attempts at quitting, with the patch, but I am not motivated enough to pull my stunt again. Since I have kids, I strictly smoke outside in the locker, they don't know I smoke and have never seen me with one. I love to go on a break with a coffee. Sometimes to save money, I'll get a 10$ carton. Otherwise I smoke ''viceroy'' regular and king size. That's very important, I want those 2-3 extra puffs for the same price. I like that brand 'cause they're strong. When you inhale a puff, it's really satisfying. I find the government is a hypocrite. If he really wanted to, he could outlaw the adding of all those chemicals they add in cigarettes for their own benefit, instead of just forcing them to put those fake messages and pictures. I don't have any cough problems. Never did. I smoke about 15 a day. I do intend to quit again. One thing at a time....

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:00 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Anyone know the average black market price for an authentic Cuban cigar? I've always been curious.

You can get pre-embargo Cubans at most tobacco or head shops for around $20(probably more now after the increase of tax), the box mine came in had 5 of them.

Dammit, this thread made me want a cigarette but I don't have any left. And somebody jacked my lighter in rotation yesterday.

Shallow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:56 pm 

Smoked for two years before I quit at Christmas last year. Started again last month due to a vacation in England.. Even if I didn't have fags that's the one place I let myself have ganja, which I'll need tobacco for in any case.

Essentially, I told myself I wouldn't smoke anything in Sweden except if someone offers (without me asking) one or if I have any left in England. I ended up buying a 50g pouch of Golden Virginia which lasts surprisingly long when people around you aren't smoking. I just have a couple per day (slim filters, slim rollies) and its' lasted almost a month now. Few days more.

However I'll be quitting again when this runs out, I had no trouble quitting and I don't expect that to change. I'll see how it goes.

Golden Virginia>Marlboro Red>Rest>Fast death>Death by torture> Slow death by torture>Blue Drum.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:06 pm 

Been getting lazy these days. Usually I force myself to head down to the corner store for rolling paper, but I've just been using the bible again. Quit using shag awhile back, now I just smoke pipe tobacco.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:22 pm 

Shallow wrote:
Even if I didn't have fags that's the one place I let myself have ganja, which I'll need tobacco for in any case.

I hear green tea works in place of the tobacco in joints, so try that if you want to quit tobacco altogether.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:52 am 

so what are your guys' thoughts on the Camel Snus stuff that came out pretty recently? it's smokeless and spitless. i tried some for the first time tonight, and wasn't disappointed with it. may actually consider getting some sometime, but i doubt i'll go back to smoking anytime.

but the Snus is like nicorette wrapped in a tea bag, with flavor (i had a mint derivative). you stick it in between your top lip and gums and it presses and cools (kinda burns with the mint) and gives you a nicotine hit. one pouch last up to 30 minutes, and a case comes with 15 pouches. it's been a while since i've even had a cigarette, so it really hit me pretty good. i don't know how much a case cost, i took a pouch from somebody. but the cases are kinda nice for storing other shit inside of.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next