Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:58 am 

Fans of The Sopranos?

I've been in love with mafia movies since I was about ten, when I first saw Goodfellas. Anyway, my mom started getting into The Sopranos, and she was surprised that I hadn't sooner than I did. She eventually recieved all of the seasons as gifts. Earlier in '08, back when I was off my feet, I did nothing but watch The Sopranos for about 17 hours a day. I went through the first 5 seasons and half of season 6 (since it was split in half, and my mom didn't have the second half) in one week. I watched the second half of season 6 for the first time today, almost a year later.

I fucking love it. Definitely my favorite television series.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:55 pm 

JohnGalt wrote:

Agreed. I thought they were going to reveal that it was Farraday's mom right then, but the show ended.

Confusing, but definitely good. Hope they can keep it going for the rest of the season. The time travel thing has been really cool so far.

Hmm, I just found this link. Everybody apparently should have known she had something to do with that monastery all the way since season three.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOMPSnn ... re=related

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:42 pm 

I vaguely hate Lost. Last year my friend started watching the first three seasons on DVD and it was okay through the first season. But things started getting bizarre during the second season and I couldn't always make it over to his dorm to watch it on a regular basis. After a while, I couldn't follow the plotline at all because I'd a) missed too many episodes and b) it got too aggravating and complicated to follow.

And what the heck is up with all those tarps and people's hair growth? Suspension of disbelief just isn't kicking in.

alexanderthegreat
Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:06 am 

OneRodeToAsaBay wrote:
I vaguely hate Lost. Last year my friend started watching the first three seasons on DVD and it was okay through the first season. But things started getting bizarre during the second season and I couldn't always make it over to his dorm to watch it on a regular basis. After a while, I couldn't follow the plotline at all because I'd a) missed too many episodes and b) it got too aggravating and complicated to follow.

And what the heck is up with all those tarps and people's hair growth? Suspension of disbelief just isn't kicking in.

I'm most disappointed that Hurley hasn't lost a damn pound since he got on the island. When the show began I thought it was going to be one of those cool little things to make it seem like they were really exploring a "Lost on a tropical island" theme, but that and the fact all the male characters manage to keep practically the exact length of fashionable stubble annoys me.

Then again, maybe I was expecting too much considering it's a Twin Peaks/The Prisoner homage. It was most infuriating when in one episode, a character actually pointed out the fact that none of the main cast talk to the extras. I was perfectly content to assume that the story is just focusing on these characters and that they talk to other islanders too, but lampshading it like that just rips the SoD apart. I think he even pointed out Hurley's eternal frame too.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:33 am 

I guess neither one of you has bothered to look at pictures of Sawyer from the first episode and then compared them to how he looks now. Hurley had almost an entire month of junk food in season 2 from the Hatch, that alone should have kept his belly fat intact for a few weeks. They also had plenty of boar to eat.

Honestly, in a show involving time travel and apparently dead people appearing to other living people, I would think that the personal appearances of certain members of the main cast would be the last things to get close scrutiny. :lol:

OneRodeToAsaBay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:20 pm 

Hey, I can accept timetravel and talking to dead people--I like scifi after all. But some things just make me roll my eyes. What, do the women have a secret stash of razors to keep their pits and legs so smooth? Do they even worry about that considering they dropped out of the sky onto an island? And is that just me or is that MAKEUP?? Why did only Sawyer seem to change much in terms of appearance: his hair actually grew, what about everyone else? Viewers seem to make a lot of conjectures to make up for people maintaining their appearances (like Hurley's belly) and that bothers me.

Yep, I'll admit I'm finicky about this stuff and I'm too quick to notice little errors and mistakes here and there but I can ignore them if it's not too frequent. Happens too much on Lost, on top of a story that already feels patched-together and ridiculous.

NocturnalHolocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:07 pm 

New episodes of Scrubs came on last night. About fucking time.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:24 pm 

I've recently been watching some episodes of "In Living Color" on Youtube. didnt even know this show existed and I must say it is very funny stuff!

the afro-american humor fits perfectly with the 90's theme and the presence of Jim Carrey makes it all feel a bit goofier! very cool!

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:14 pm 

Iwas wondering if there's some Dudeson's fan over here?

~Guest 146079
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:39 am 

Right now I watch Legend of the Seeker [favourite show.Ever], The Graham Norton Show, Shameless, and King of the Hill.

BBCAmerica had their own version of Kenny Vs. Spenny; it was called Ed Vs. Spencer. I -loved- Ed vs. Spencer.
Kenny Vs. Spenny used to play on Comedy Central if I remember correctly.

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:38 am 

OneRodeToAsaBay wrote:
Hey, I can accept timetravel and talking to dead people--I like scifi after all. But some things just make me roll my eyes. What, do the women have a secret stash of razors to keep their pits and legs so smooth? Do they even worry about that considering they dropped out of the sky onto an island? And is that just me or is that MAKEUP?? Why did only Sawyer seem to change much in terms of appearance: his hair actually grew, what about everyone else? Viewers seem to make a lot of conjectures to make up for people maintaining their appearances (like Hurley's belly) and that bothers me.

Yep, I'll admit I'm finicky about this stuff and I'm too quick to notice little errors and mistakes here and there but I can ignore them if it's not too frequent. Happens too much on Lost, on top of a story that already feels patched-together and ridiculous.

Most of all, WHERE DO THEY GET ALL THE FUCKING TARPS?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:41 pm 

If I remember correctly they made a few out of the lifeboats recovered from the plane. Oh, and you may have missed this part--it only lasted for 2.5 seasons---but there is a society of people on the island who have some abandoned buildings complete with storage sheds. Remember the Hatch? You know, the centerpiece of an entire season?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:11 pm 

DarkLust666 wrote:
Right now I watch Legend of the Seeker [favourite show.Ever]

A bad Xena knock-off with awful source material that somehow managed to become *worse* in transition to the screen is your favourite show ever? Really?

Earthcubed wrote:
I'm now convinced that the old woman from season 3 who seems to know so much about space and time is Daniel Farraday's mother. You know, the one who talked to Desmond during his "flash" after the explosion.

Aaargh! When I first saw that episode, I was waiting to see who that woman was, what was her significance and I was trying to remember if we had seen her before and so on.

Now that she probably is, indeed Faraday's mum and is becoming important again, I had completely forgotten about her. I hate when that happens.

But while Lost had redeemed itself with the end of the 3rd season, I fear the convoluted plot is going to kill it.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:13 pm 

The new season of Burn Notice just started.

I can't wait to miss the rest of it. Thanks, Iraq!

*swears under breath*

OneRodeToAsaBay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:21 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
If I remember correctly they made a few out of the lifeboats recovered from the plane. Oh, and you may have missed this part--it only lasted for 2.5 seasons---but there is a society of people on the island who have some abandoned buildings complete with storage sheds. Remember the Hatch? You know, the centerpiece of an entire season?

It's still ridiculous, even before they end up meeting up with the Dharma folks or whatever else it was that happened. By that point the tarp thing was getting too silly for me to like this show anymore.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:32 pm 

OneRodeToAsaBay wrote:
It's still ridiculous, even before they end up meeting up with the Dharma folks or whatever else it was that happened. By that point the tarp thing was getting too silly for me to like this show anymore.

Earthcubed wrote:

Earthcubed wrote:
If I remember correctly they made a few out of the lifeboats recovered from the plane.

Earthcubed wrote:
plane.

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:43 pm 

It's a decent show, I enjoyed it for the most part, but I wish they'd have made it a little less friendly for the survivors. It definitely would've been more interesting if they had it a little tougher and realistic as far as actual survival goes.

I hate the dialogue though. It's almost written like it's a fucking "reality" t.v. show where the drama is pre-planned and completely unnatural. You have all these people with secrets and conflicts and blah blah blah but no one will tell anyone anything despite not really having anything to lose by telling them. I don't know, it's just like everyone is fucking retarded and can't communicate effectively. Drives me insane, but I enjoy the show nonetheless.

Anyways, I need to catch up on the 4th season. I didn't like the 3rd so much. Second was definitely my favorite.

OneRodeToAsaBay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:51 pm 

I don't care! It's still ridiculous and just one of many problems! I got tired of this show after the first season and I've never been in the habit of actively following current seasons of any TV show so... I'm not gonna worry about it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:54 pm 

BardInTheForest wrote:
Second was definitely my favorite.

I was with you until that part. Season 2 was a disaster, a complete throwaway too.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:40 am 

(spoilers)

I've seen you express that before, but what about it made you think that? Anything specific? The only thing I really didn't care for was the introduction of a bunch of new characters in a manner that made it seem like they'd be main characters only to be killed off ten episodes later, with only one (Eko) making it to the next season.

Morrigan wrote:
Aaargh! When I first saw that episode, I was waiting to see who that woman was, what was her significance and I was trying to remember if we had seen her before and so on.

She actually appeared later on in the season, though you'd have to pause the episode to notice it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOMPSnn ... re=related

(end spoilers)

My favorite season so far was the 4th, and it's because of that season that I'm not really all that concerned about how convoluted the plot is going to get. Season 4 was incredibly confusing and posed so many questions....and almost all of them were answered by the end of the season. The writers really seem to have a mental hold on things now that they've got a fixed end-date for the series.

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:46 am 

Morrigan wrote:
BardInTheForest wrote:
Second was definitely my favorite.

I was with you until that part. Season 2 was a disaster, a complete throwaway too.

Well, I loved Mr. Eko and I liked that they were still exploring the island in that season. It was pretty much like an adventure show at that point. I just felt like most of the mystery was gone. That said, I still haven't watched the 4th or any of the 5th so they obviously have plenty of other stuff to reveal.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:11 am 

Man you don't know the half of it. :lol:

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:23 pm 

I think I will be liking that new Tim Roth program Lie To Me.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:37 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
I remember seeing a poster for that, seemed interesting. Tom Roth is awesome.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:13 am 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
I remember seeing a poster for that, seemed interesting. Tom Roth is awesome.

he is a great actor, yep. And the show is from the creators of 24 so that helps too.

sumorabbit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:20 am 

I love Burn Notice. Its funny, cool, smart, and an all around good show. But, Gabrielle Anwar seriously needs to put on some weight. I'm all for being fit, but she is borderline sick. She needs a little meat on her bones.

-Sun Tzu

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:45 am 

sumorabbit wrote:
I love Burn Notice. Its funny, cool, smart, and an all around good show. But, Gabrielle Anwar seriously needs to put on some weight. I'm all for being fit, but she is borderline sick. She needs a little meat on her bones.

Fucking love that show. I mean, anything Bruce Campbell is in is gold, but that show would be gold even without him.

Rock_On
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:30 pm 

I just finished watching an episode of Mythbusters, the one where the plants grew best to the death metal music - I don't blame the plants, I'd grow better to metal than classical music, too! Yeah, Mythbusters is a great show!

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:20 am 

Watched through season 1 of Burn Notice the other day and really enjoyed it. Agreed about Gabrielle Anwar, she's looks kind of sickly...also, did it bug anyone else that she dropped her Irish accent after the first episode? I get the reason why she did it, but I wish she would at least keep it up when she's in the company of Mike and Sam, made her character a lot more interesting methinks.

Got around to watching Lie To Me and really liked that, too. Tim Roth is great; gives me a House-like vibe but still needs some time to develop.

I'm a little interested in Joss Whedon's new show, Dollhouse, but it might be cause I feel a twang of guilt for not paying attention to Firefly when it came out. I really don't like Eliza Dushku and if she weren't playing the lead I'd probably be all over that show cause it seems like a kind of cool idea.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:22 am 

Lost is becoming more and more like some sort of bizarre sci-fi tragedy.

Only complaint about the last episode is the way Charlotte reveals everything; seemed too sudden and unsatisfying.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:28 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
Lost is becoming more and more like some sort of bizarre sci-fi tragedy.

Only complaint about the last episode is the way Charlotte reveals everything; seemed too sudden and unsatisfying.
I liked Faraday's face when she was telling him everything, it was almost like a soap opera reaction.

OneRodeToAsaBay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:06 pm 

I'm going to state the obvious here but NCIS is the worst show ever. I was in no mood to go out yesterday so I allowed my brain to liquidate to that garbage.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:44 am 

Has The Big Bang Theory been canned yet? I heard it was going to be cancelled, or it already has. It's too bad, because I was really enjoying that show. I thought it was original, even if many others disagree.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:30 am 

I was watching a little bit of the weigh-in on The Biggest Loser. Seriously, Ajay (the host) need to cut the drama bullshit. Despite what she/the producers think, it's painful to watch, and it has me reaching for the mute/channel button.

Ajay: You're doing this for your wife?

Contestant: Yeah, basically, she gave me an ultimatum: Lose 60kg's, or you lose 60kg's. She weighs 60kg's.

Ajay: What would it mean to you if you lost 60kg's and reunited with your wife?

Contestant: (sobbing) It would mean the world to me. (contestant next to him bawls)

She asked that question just to get an emotion out of him. To that, I fuck the show off for tonight. I only ever like to watch the weigh-in's, anyway.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:36 am 

The wait for the new season of Sons of Anarchy is killing me. I do not think I have ever anticipated a new season of a show this much.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:09 am 

Late night TV could easily do without Jimmy Fallon.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:58 am 

Misainzig wrote:
Late night TV could easily do without Jimmy Fallon.
Yeah, he's pretty terrible. I enjoyed some of his stuff on SNL, but he's pretty lame for the most part.

I really hope Conan's show stays the same but just moves to a different time slot. I'd be pissed if he got a different band and writers, though I don't think that'll happen.

Part of me hopes he'll move to Leno's old spot and his entire show will just be him doing a Leno impersonation :lol:

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:56 pm 

My favorite TV shows:

The Office - funny as hell, because I used to work in an environment that was similar (though not as outlandish).

My Name Is Earl - Haven't watched this one in a while, but the first two seasons were great.

Monk - The defective detective. It seems to be getting ripped off a lot lately, as there are a bunch of show with P.I.s who have some kind of quirk.

X-Files - a long time favorite, until it started to suck.

Highlander - Immortals beheading each other - awesome. It had a few misses, but there were some great episodes.

Other than these, I generally hate TV.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10