Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:43 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Between The Funhouse Massacre and Office Uprising, I've seen a few really fun and surprisingly well crafted horror comedies lately.

I'm assuming you've seen Tucker & Dale vs Evil.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:34 pm 

Yep. And I've also seen Wolf Cop, which features Jesse Moss (the camper who insists Tucker and Dale are evil). Been a fan of his in genre pictures since Ginger Snaps.

I picked up Brian Yuzna's Society today. Can't wait to watch it.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:55 pm 

Has anyone here seen Another WolfCop yet? I liked the original enough that a sequel sounded like a decent idea, but it has the dreaded below 5 IMDB rating which is usually (not always!) a bad sign.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:35 am 

Empyreal wrote:
acid_bukkake wrote:

Eh, it's bad and they were unfunny and not worth defending.

James Gunn was not defending those tweets, though. No one is. They're defending the person who should not be judged for errors of the past for which he has been apologetic. This sets a poor precedent. It tells us to never be apologetic or own up to your mistakes, because it doesn't matter. You will not be forgiven. You are bad forever.

Think about a mistake you made in your past, maybe one people don't know about, maybe one you'd rather not revisit. We all have them. We all do. Do you want that to be used against you 5, 10, 20 years from now, when you've grown considerably since then? That is what this is about.

Aooga
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:58 am 

Lethal Weapon 4 for the umpteenth time. It's aged really well. I both want and don't want a part 5 in equal measure.
4/5

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:06 am 

LW4 is my favorite of the series. There's a real camaraderie with the cast by that point, one even the new additions feel a part of.

So Baby Driver is further proof that Edgar Wright is a mad genius of filmmaking, even if everything involving Jamie Foxx hurts the movie overall.

darkeningday wrote:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:55 am 

I take back all of the horrible things I've said about Hereditary, The VVitch, Contracted, etc. After not even being able to finish The Bye Bye Man I have a newfound appreciation for boring arthouse horror since they're at least competently made. Jesus this was shit...

darkeningday wrote:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:32 pm 

The VVitch (lol) ruled and I didn't find a single thing boring about it IMO.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:31 pm 

Is there such a thing as a Netflix original that doesn't suck? Turns out there is. Extinction was really, really, enjoyable. I like Michael Peña and Lizzy Caplan anyway, so I figured why not. Very well done. Only one unnecessary red herring in the plot, but what are you gonna do.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:47 pm 

Well I thought The Babysitter was fairly entertaining, though I guess that doesn't prevent it from not still sucking.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:11 pm 

Revenge (2017) - A rape & revenge movie with dialogue that alternates between English and French for some reason. The rape scene was not filmed in a graphic way, but there was some really gross and gory stuff in the second half. This movie requires a major suspension of disbelief from very early on, since the main character survives something that should have at least paralyzed any human being. But if you can go with it, it's pretty effective for this genre. 6.5 / 10

Re: Netflix movies, I'll second The Babysitter being among the better comedic ones, with The Ritual the best for straight horror, and I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore a fun quirky drama. I'll try Extinction soon and see if I like it as much as those.

The writer / director of The Raid 1 and 2 has a movie coming to Netflix in October called Apostle. I'm not expecting the same level of action again, but hopefully it'll be pretty cool.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:17 pm 

Calibre is a great Netflix original. Fucking killer thriller flick. Cargo is a very solid zombie flick too.

And yeah I Don't Feel at Home In This World Anymore was amazing. One of my favorites of last year.

Netflix has tons of great original stuff far as I'm concerned, if you count in the TV and standup.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:43 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
I take back all of the horrible things I've said about Hereditary, The VVitch, Contracted, etc. After not even being able to finish The Bye Bye Man I have a newfound appreciation for boring arthouse horror since they're at least competently made. Jesus this was shit...

my girlfriend and i saw it in the theater. we were almost definitely the only people there above 18. even the kids fucking hated it. nothing landed. we were all just very confused.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:29 pm 

GTog wrote:
Is there such a thing as a Netflix original that doesn't suck? Turns out there is. Extinction was really, really, enjoyable. I like Michael Peña and Lizzy Caplan anyway, so I figured why not. Very well done. Only one unnecessary red herring in the plot, but what are you gonna do.

I also quite enjoyed this one except for the fact that
Spoiler: show
the kids never stopped crying throughout the whole movie. But then one of them stands up to the alien and gets courage for a minute. Didn't really make sense. I get that they're kids and it's scary but it took away a little bit of the enjoyment for me.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:42 pm 

Count me in among those who enjoyed The Babysitter. Samara Weaving is one of my favorites out now, to the point where I'll watch something solely for her (including the "boring office goes violently insane" schlock of Mayhem).

darkeningday wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:23 am 

GTog wrote:

20 minutes in and I'm bored but also intrigued. Will probably finish it later. Does hope it improves though.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:25 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Calibre is a great Netflix original. Fucking killer thriller flick. Cargo is a very solid zombie flick too.

And yeah I Don't Feel at Home In This World Anymore was amazing. One of my favorites of last year.

Netflix has tons of great original stuff far as I'm concerned, if you count in the TV and standup.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

All that standup is worthless to me and there are only a handful of Netflix originals I'm really interested in.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:17 pm 

I also think Netflix has a lot of great original programming, way more than most other recent TV channels or other digital providers.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:57 pm 

Thanks for all the recs. I had already seen the previews for some of those mentioned, but not Calibre. I'll have to check that one out.

Also I agree with whoever pointed out The Ritual. Forgot about that one. I liked it too. It started out like it was going to go the way of Yellow Brick Road, if you've seen that one, where your basic "trip into the woods" isolation trope gets progressively weirder until the whole movie collapses in on itself. But The Ritual had a way better payoff.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:57 pm 

I thought The Ritual was pretty good the first time I saw it, then liked it more when I watched it again weeks later. That movie has the most interesting "antagonist" of any recent horror I've seen. Cooler than Pennywise, IMO.

On the subject of Netflix and Stephen King, I'll admit I didn't like Gerald's Game as much as some people did.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:26 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
I thought The Ritual was pretty good the first time I saw it, then liked it more when I watched it again weeks later. That movie has the most interesting "antagonist" of any recent horror I've seen. Cooler than Pennywise, IMO.

On the subject of Netflix and Stephen King, I'll admit I didn't like Gerald's Game as much as some people did.
I enjoyed the film and I have a lot to say about it but not sure anyone here wants me to.

But I wanted to ask, what made you not like it much?

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:46 am 

I think that people like Gerald's Game the movie because they liked Gerald's Game the book. The movie hit all the same beats and told the same story, and that was enough for some viewers. But my take is that the movie was done by someone who didn't have a clear understanding of why those beats made the story work. I mean, the dog is there just because the dog is in the book. It was like something the screenwriter had to check off a list, that's all. Any empathy she has for the dog (because they're both abandoned things that do what they have to in order to get by) is nowhere to be found. The different aspects of Jessie's buried strength that manifest as conversations with her therapist, old college friend, etc are also gone. In the movie she just argues with the apparition of her husband the whole time. As cool as Bruce Greenwood is, it's boring.

And the "life goes on" voiceover at the end is ridiculous. Imagine if Misery had ended like that, with Paul Sheldon just going "well, that sucked. Glad I'm fine now." Everyone would have hated it. In a movie, you're supposed to show us that kind of development, not just declare it at the end and hope we agree.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:19 am 

As I see it, there are varying degrees of "main character(s) stuck in one place" story. The ones I like (Don't Breathe, Autopsy of Jane Doe) at least allow the characters to move around within that location and interact with each other. But basing a full length movie around a character handcuffed to a bed was always going to be difficult to pull off. Even with the occasional flashbacks I thought it dragged. Maybe if they had kept it to a lean 80 minutes I would have liked it more.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:28 am 

I thought the way Mike Flanagan did Gerald's Game was amazing. He did basically what was considered an unfilmable book and made it into something nightmareish, psychedelic and surreal. I was glued to my seat the whole time during that. I don't know how it would've been adapted drastically differently and still been so good, personally - he did it in an artful and creative way I thought.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:43 pm 

People liked The Babysitter? How? It was almost preposterously bad. None of it landed. It was the most try-hard bullshit I've seen in ages. Actually couldn't make it more than 30 minutes in.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:15 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
People liked The Babysitter? How? It was almost preposterously bad. None of it landed. It was the most try-hard bullshit I've seen in ages. Actually couldn't make it more than 30 minutes in.

Because Samara Weaving is charismatic as fuck and it felt like a throwback to the golden age of horror comedy that understood what made those work. It was fun, and that's all it needed or wanted to be.

darkeningday wrote:

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:14 pm 

Yeah, I thought The Babysitter had likeable performances and got the tone just about right most of the time. I don't rank it as high as Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil or Happy Death Day, but it's as good as "horror / comedy made for Netflix by the director of the worst Terminator movie" could realistically be.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:38 pm 

McG made Genisys?

darkeningday wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:05 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:

Uh don't you like Olympus Has Fallen?

Although I agree with CD that Salvation was the worst Terminator by far. At least Genisys was so-bad-it's-fucking-funny. Salvation was grimdark edgy highschooler cringe, the line "never point a gun at someone unless you intend to pull the trigger" has stuck with me forever as a blueprint of how precisely not to write dialog. Goddamn. :lol:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:51 am 

Yeah, because Olympus Has Fallen is unintentionally fucking hilarious.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:52 am 

It's intentional, but that sequel...yeeeeeeep...

If you haven't seen Hell or High Water yet, I highly recommend doing so. Beautifully solemn film with an amazing Ben Foster performance (really all he gives) and a killer Americana soundtrack, all pertaining to the notion of cultural change and greed vs. selflessness.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:55 am 

^ We can agree on that one. Hell or High Water is one of the best-crafted films I've seen in recent years. Just wins on every level.

The writer, Taylor Sheridan, had a real killing streak with Sicario, then Hell or High Water and finally Wind River, an awesome detective thriller set in a Native American reservation. Shame he broke it with the lame Sicario 2.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:15 am 

He has a knack for knowing how to embody ideas, ideals, and ideologies into characters without overtly saying THIS ONE IS THE COWBOY.

darkeningday wrote:

kellyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:27 am 

Twister
The classic end of term geography class film! Actually surprisingly good. Naturally interesting subject matter, the excitement of the chase and incredible special efffects override the hammy acting. Actually the hammy acting and the hilarious guitar work on the soundtrack gives the film a sort of retro charm.
8/10

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:20 am 

Twister was an icon of my childhood. "THIS WAS A GREAT IDEA" still gets me every time.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:22 am 

I preferred the sequel, Naked Twister.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:37 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:

You said "boring arthouse horror," and for some reason I thought of Nekromantik 2, but that movie was just boring. I don't think it was very arthouse or horror. Just fucking boring. I think they were trying to go for arthouse horror, but the entire middle 95% of the movie is basically two people developing the most disingenuous and unbelievable "relationship" ever.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:11 pm 

Twister is an awesome movie, and I will fight anyone in the streets who says otherwise.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:32 pm 

I'm on a binge of tears after watching Dancer in the Dark. I'm pretty sensitive already so this one basically knocked me to the floor. Then I watched the Broken Circle Breakdown, and when that perfect ending came around I ran my tear ducts dry.

If anyone has some recs I'd be joyous.

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:10 pm 

Having not seen either of those movies, I'm not sure what sort of tears you're looking for, but here's some things you might cry over

The Fountain (sad cry)
Boys Don't Cry (mad cry)
Threads (horror cry)
The Room (fun cry)
Brazzers (depends, can go a few ways)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 708, 709, 710, 711, 712, 713, 714 ... 818  Next