Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:16 am 

jimbies wrote:
I went to see First Man last night. I knew going in it was going to be completely pointless and boring. Why would I still go? Well, it was a night out, and I try to see everything that eventually gets nominated for an Oscar because of an Oscar party/pool I host every year. I know it's going to get nominated for a ton of awards (sound edit/mix, director, probably lead actor as well); but MAN it was even more boring and useless than I thought it was going to be. They really are running out of Biopics to make, huh?

Saw the trailer for this movie, and I could've sworn I saw this film back in 1992.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:35 am 

Me and the ol' lady re-watched The Blair Witch Project last night. I hadn't seen it since 1999, when I saw it in theaters with my best friend. It scared the shit out of me then, but most everything did at the time. Today, I have to say it had a much bigger impact on me. Just the sheer panic of being completely lost in the woods gets my anxiety meter going, but then the shit that starts happening to them at night...

I still really enjoy this movie. I think another more recent favorite of mine, As Above So Below, took a lot of inspiration from Blair Witch.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:41 am 

When you saw Blair Witch originally did you think it was real?

I'm not gonna lie, I was skeptical when I was heading in, but there was definitely a part of me that was secretly hoping it was real.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:56 am 

I don't remember ever thinking or believing it was truly real. I can definitely say that the performance and quality of filming makes it FEEL real. The panic, the in-fighting, the hopelessness. It got to me as a child and I'd say it gets to me even worse as an adult.

I watch a lot of this show called "I Shouldn't Be Alive" and it's mostly about people getting lost by themselves in the woods, or desert, or mountains, and it creates such anxiety. So Blair Witch is like that, plus the supernatural aspect tormenting them...man, it rules. I didn't have high expectations going into it last night.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:07 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I still really enjoy this movie. I think another more recent favorite of mine, As Above So Below, took a lot of inspiration from Blair Witch.

Oh cool, I'll have to check that out. I saw it pop up in Netflix and always really liked that phrase and thought it would be a good name for a great horror movie, but reviews said it was not great, but hey, what do they know. If you liked it I'll give it a go for sure.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:19 pm 

I've seen those bad reviews! I'll be honest man, I don't think many people like the movie as much as I do. I saw it for the first time last year, and I've probably watched it ~7 times since then, with various friends? All of them liked it, to varying degrees, but I think watching a movie with someone who loves it can help in a weird way.

It's a found footage jam, which is a style I'm already a big fan of. To me, AA/SB just played with lots of occult elements and creepy scenarios in a very satisfying way. They could have taken things a few steps FURTHER, in my opinion, but as is it's one of my favorite found footage films ever. I hope you dig it, but even if you hate it let me know!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:40 pm 

As Above, So Below was awesome, the Dowdles are great. Be sure to also check out The Poughkeepsie Tapes and No Escape from the same guy/s.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:13 pm 

Alright, I watched all four Purge movies.

The first movie was kind of disappointing because for some reason when I thought of "The Purge" I pictured like Mad Max level post-apocalyptic shit where civilization ends because of this attempt at a one night purge thingy, but it was basically just a home invasion movie with this lore wrapped up around it. Thankfully, the sequels took that lore to interesting places, and, well, I guess I should spoiler this:
Spoiler: show
basically every complaint I had about the entire concept of the purge being a really dumb idea that made basically no sense was explained in the later movies to my satisfaction. Basically people don't actually want to go around murdering each other constantly except for utter psychopaths, which there are a decent number of, and I was wondering how society would function with so many regular people murdering each other and then trying to adjust back to being regular people the next day at work or whatever, or how people would possibly get along knowing that if you ever pissed anyone off they'd try to legally kill you later. Anyway it all gets explained that basically people don't want to do this shit, so the evil right wing government just hires mercs and white nationalists to go around murdering poor people and minorities and making it look like they're just killing each other so that they can get rich off purge insurance and keep the population of expensive-to-care-for poor people as low as possible. Kinda more interesting than I thought going in.

That said, despite the premise winding up being more interesting than I anticipated, most of the time the characters sucked. Sometimes acting performances seemed ok but just shittily captured or something, and the direction and cinematography rarely excited. There was one sequence in the fourth movie that's clearly inspired by The Raid that was actually quite cool and easily the stand-out action of the series. Most of the time, though, this really felt like I was watching an FX t.v. series with more f-bombs. So, not a complete waste of time, but hardly something I'd go back to or really recommend.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:34 am 

I thought Frank Grillo, the "victim" from Purge 1 and the mother and daughter duo had great character arcs, making 2 & 3 my favorite. However, I can't deny the action scenes in 2 & 3 were insanely bad and even embarrassing: I actually laughed out loud during the shootout/chase in the tunnel, it was cable TV quality, even borderline SyFy movie.

As a contrast, the latest entry had good action with, as you say, clear influence from The Raid and some cool ideas in the plot, but my god, I dare you to find less interesting characters or lamer dialog. The only things I remember about any of them is that the lead gang member looked like 50 Cent in the early 2000's and that the leading lady was almost offensively attractive.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:22 am 

I unabashedly love these movies and still agree with everything in the last two posts. They manage to get so much right and so much wrong all at once, which is why I refer to them as punk rock cinema.

Also, I'm peeved that the "game show" in Anarchy wasn't examined further. If you're going to introduce such a clever way of saying that wealth enjoys the suffering of the poor then open that bitch up.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:44 am 

I don't think any of the character arcs were "good." Some were just like...normal, while most others were bad enough to make the normal ones look good, I think. Here's my biggest gripe about the movies' broader plot:

I thought it was incredibly stupid that the good guys survived the fourth movie. Like you basically had a whole bunch of living witnesses who knew exactly what was going on, but for some reason none of this information seemingly makes it into the public realm for the first, second and third movies? I would have been much happier if the NFFA had just exterminated those people, to be honest. But, I guess that would've been a pretty grim ending.

Also...the fourth movie was a bit weird to be honest. Like, they clearly wanted to have all the main cast be minorities, but for some reason they still sort of danced around the topic of racism being a motivator in the Purge itself. Like there were all those KKK dudes and neo-nazis, but they weren't ACTUAL white supremacists, they were like foreign mercs pretending to be white supremacists, which kind of took away a bit from highlighting the premise that this isn't so far-fetched that it has no connection to reality - we're supposed to believe that if racist far-right douches came into power (ahem) then they'd slaughter the poor and minorities to get richer. But, there's still not really any explicit racism? Anyway apart from that, the regular people are all minorities, but they also needed to have it be on an urbanized island of poor people, so they went with Staten Island even though Staten Island is mostly white people in real life? I dunno, I just feel like that whole angle could've been much better handled.

I will definitely say that as dumb as these movies usually were, they did have me thinking about the meta-narrative for most of their collective duration, which is saying something, I guess.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:24 pm 

I've never watched any of The Purge movies, but now As Above So Below is on my Netflix list. I've been sort of over found footage flicks since the Paranormal Activity franchise went off the rails, but I'll give it a shot.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:31 pm 

GTog wrote:
I've been sort of over found footage flicks since the Paranormal Activity franchise went off the rails,

Tell me about it. The sharp decline in quality between 3 and 4 is staggering.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:00 pm 

I liked the Paranormal Activity series. I can see why it'd get crucified but I found them enjoyable.

I revisited my youth and watched Space Jam. It's a big, dumb movie but it's worth watching again. The acting is obviously not up to scratch but it's a fairly decent movie and well animated for 1997.

I also watched Eagle Eye, a movie from 2008 starring Shia LeBouf (or however you spell that) and Michelle Monaghan. The premise seems a little crazy but overall it's a good watch and I liked the characters in it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:07 am 

Ghostwatch and Noroi: The Curse are definitely found footage flicks I'd recommend in a heartbeat, although perhaps horror mockumentary may be a more appropriate tag. Either way, they rank among the scariest and most effective horror movies I've ever seen. Heard good things about Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County, too. Anyone jaded by found footage should definitely take the time to have a look at the first two movies though.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:11 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Me and the ol' lady re-watched The Blair Witch Project last night.

I plan on watching this for the frst time soon. :beer:

We did saw The Mission (https://www.filmaffinity.com/en/film791884.html) and Aguirre, the Wrath of God (https://www.filmaffinity.com/en/film728535.html) recently:
https://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com/2018/10/aguirre-la-colera-de-dios.html
I saw the first one at school YEARS ago and it was Ok.
Second one is a hard one. Very strange and oniric but interesting.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:06 am 

One of my favorite found footage movies, besides the first two masterpieces of ever-building tension known as [REC] 1 and 2, is The Taking of Deborah Logan. It hits pretty close to home if you've ever had an older relative suffering from Alzheimer's or any other mentally deteriorating illness, but it stays clear of "exploitation" territory and firmly holds to its allegory about demonic possession.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:44 am 

I guess a lot of people really liked Taking of Deborah Logan. I found it to be atrocious crap and worse than even the usual found footage stuff or James Wan-style ghost stories - the allegory to dementia or whatever else was hamfisted and mostly used for cheap shocks from what I remember. It didn't have anything important to say. No real characterization beyond the idea of using demonic possession to try and talk about deteriorating mental conditions - to me it came off gimmicky and shallow.

The one found footage thing I go back to is Houses October Built, a gleeful story about Halloween haunted houses... just fun. The two Hell House, LLC ones I watched this year were enjoyable. The genre can be intriguing but too often they just have to make up increasingly dumber excuses for there to be a camera on. After a while it's like, why bother, just make a regular damn movie.

Watched The Howling finally. Pretty good. A few eerie atmospheric shots and some good action. Great special effects and occasional gore. Not really much depth, I guess, and the villains were never really fully fleshed out, but I enjoyed myself enough. Have to say I'd take American Werewolf in London over this, though.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:20 pm 

Yep, I dug the hell out of Taking of Deborah Logan. It gets over-the-top towards the end but the whole ride was pretty unsettling in a fun way, for me. Old people losing their minds is scarier than fuck. It's too real and relatable.

Found footage can be so good, and so bad. Sometimes both! Any of you guys ever watch the first two Grave Encounters films? It's a low budget (I guess?) Canadian-made project. I hate to admit it, but I really like both of them. They're what I would classify as "architectural horror", which As Above/So Below does extremely well.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:42 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The genre can be intriguing but too often they just have to make up increasingly dumber excuses for there to be a camera on. After a while it's like, why bother, just make a regular damn movie.

Yes, that. Better than I could have said it. That's the whole problem with the genre, and the main reason why I don't find many of those films entertaining. Take Paranormal Activity, since I was talking about that series. The third one is supposed to take place 18 years before 1 & 2, which would have made it 1989 or so. Even though it's not a terrible movie overall, the hoops they have to jump through to explain why 80s era videotape recorders seems to be everywhere and in constant use (even by the children) is just stretching the concept too far.

I can imagine that this dominated the whiteboard in the writing room - "Item One: Hope nobody remembers that those things were bulky, heavy, fucking expensive, and the batteries lasted about an hour."

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:15 pm 

The Paranormal Activity series is all over the place, in my books. Ghost Dimension or whatever the fuck was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, truly. On the other hand, The Marked Ones, or "Paranormal Activity in the Bario" as we lovingly call it, might be my favorite out of all of them. It's REALLY believable ie kids just fuckin' around with forces they don't understand.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:53 pm 

Paranormal Activity 3 > PA1 > Blair Witch Project > PA2 >>>>>>>>>>> Marked Ones > PA4 > Ghost Dimension.

This is the objective truth.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:29 pm 

man i hated the shit out of the og paranormal activity and never bothered with any of the others. there's no real tension or suspense or anything and it's just not scary to see a chair move or whatever when you know it's not real.

blair witch project is great though. blair witch 2 is also maybe one of the worst sequels i've ever seen.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:43 pm 

Victor Crowley (Hatchet 4) - Yup, they made another one. This time there's no Marybeth and the main character is the guy who played different people in parts 1 to 3. He's now on a book tour cashing in on his survivor status, which reminded me of Loomis in Zombie's Halloween II (barf). Angela from Sleepaway Camp is his agent, and she convinces him to return to the swamp for a lucrative interview so the movie can happen.

This must have been especially low budget, because way too much of it takes place on a plane, even after it crashes into the swamp. I recall at least some exploration of the terrain in the earlier entries, whereas this time the bulk of the action seems to occur in a Little League infield sized area. Some OK gore and a bunch of genitalia jokes cannot justify this lame rehash. Might as well take Victor Crowley into space if this is the best they can do with the same old setting. 4 / 10

Altitude (2010) - Five young people are on a small plane when a mechanical failure locks that tail-fin thing into "climb" position. I won't defend any of the physics in this, and the final third gets really strange and corny. But I found myself sort of caring about what would happen next, which automatically makes this better than the past few movies I watched. 5.5 / 10

Jonpo wrote:
Any of you guys ever watch the first two Grave Encounters films?

I think the first one is a good example of found footage despite being set in the most predictable horror location (abandoned mental hospital). Also liked the way the main guy started out as a fraud who paid the locals to say "Oh yeah, that place is totally haunted, I've heard weird noises and stuff!"

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:19 pm 

I watched the classic western A Fistful Of Dollars this weekend and really enjoyed it. I saw it once probably 15 years ago and didn't remember much at all. I wonder how much Miller's Crossing was influenced by it, as the plots are quite similar.

Secret Glory
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:24 am 

Finally watched Django Unchained.
Who else but Tarantino could make a modern film like this? Simultaneously one of the most fun and harrowing films I've seen.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:56 pm 

I should probably watch more Tarantino movies. No one I've known till recently IRL enjoys Tarantino. Only one I've seen was Reservoir Dogs, and it was too set-piecey for me though the snappy dialogue was fun. Friend tells me Inglorious Basterds is a flick I'd enjoy, since it's the "artsiest" of his movies apparently. Looking forward to more snappiness.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:32 pm 

I thought Django was alright though it didn't really click with me. Inglourious Basterds is my favorite of Tarantino's. It's structured quite uniquely in that instead of a bunch of short scenes, it's made up of only a few long scenes - each starting with relative peace and then building and building in suspense and intensity.

I watched Summer Of 84 the other night. It was decent. It was quite suspenseful and fun though the ending left much to be desired IMO.

WilliG
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:38 pm 

A Quiet Place - really interesting dynamics throughout. Very different to everything out there.

I thought it was incredibly well written, didn't leave any horrendous questions throughout (often answering them as I'm thinking them), and excellent acting. 9/10 for me.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:04 pm 

I watched The Lost World: Jurassic Park last night (aka Jurassic Park II). I did that mental trick you do where you haven't seen a movie in like a decade, so you think "Was it really as bad as I remember?" Yes, yes it was. Jeff Goldblum constantly forgetting if Ian Malcolm was supposed to have a limp or what. Julianne Moore's Sara repeatedly vowing to "observe, not interact" while doing literally the opposite of that the entire movie. T-rexes that both announce themselves with ground tremors from their mighty footsteps, but are also uncommonly stealthy, sneaking up on a camps of heavily armed mercenaries and casually strolling through suburban San Diego without much of a fuss. Gah.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:36 am 

GTog wrote:
I watched The Lost World: Jurassic Park last night (aka Jurassic Park II). I did that mental trick you do where you haven't seen a movie in like a decade, so you think "Was it really as bad as I remember?" Yes, yes it was. Jeff Goldblum constantly forgetting if Ian Malcolm was supposed to have a limp or what. Julianne Moore's Sara repeatedly vowing to "observe, not interact" while doing literally the opposite of that the entire movie. T-rexes that both announce themselves with ground tremors from their mighty footsteps, but are also uncommonly stealthy, sneaking up on a camps of heavily armed mercenaries and casually strolling through suburban San Diego without much of a fuss. Gah.

I like this one, actually. I thought it had a really good story despite the issues. Anything is better than Jurassic World.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

WilliG
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:07 am 

Profondo Rosso (Deep Red)

Excellent. Really liked the soundtrack - a mix of jazz and synths which was a bit different for a horror! I need to watch the extended version at some point. 8/10

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:22 am 

We did saw the Evil Dead Trilogy this last saturday night:
https://www.filmaffinity.com/en/film939051.html
https://www.filmaffinity.com/en/film216255.html
https://www.filmaffinity.com/en/film618571.html
Fun, fun, fun!
P.S: The second is STILL my fav. :beer:

450splush
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:49 pm 

WilliG wrote:
A Quiet Place - really interesting dynamics throughout. Very different to everything out there.

I thought it was incredibly well written, didn't leave any horrendous questions throughout (often answering them as I'm thinking them), and excellent acting. 9/10 for me.

I enjoyed this movie a lot too. I don't really concern myself with plot holes or characters acting "logically", but a lot of people took gripe with some plothole/logical problems with this movie and was curious about how you answered them when you watched it.

Things such as why the characters didn't live by the river,how nobody ever farted (I've seriously heard this one a lot), why the couple would have sex and risk the baby, etc.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:40 am 

^

Because people are always hopeful and somewhat stupidly optimistic in every situation. Having a baby is about that hope and the future. If everyone always acted like an internet critic hypothesizing about the best doomsday scenarios, the movie would've been less engaging. That goes for most movies like this. It's only exciting because they make mistakes, take risks.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:12 pm 

I hate how "plot hole" morphed from a legitimately baffling decision that goes against a story's internal logic (and A Quiet Place has a couple of them) and into "stupid things that characters do." The above? Not plot holes. Two real ones...

We sell technology that intentionally emits deterring frequencies in hardware stores. It's a bit silly to have this discovery come by accident in a world where that tech already exists.

Early on, a newspaper clipping demonstrates that the beasts are virtually indestructible. "Point blank buckshot" does not fit this croteria.

It's a movie I thought was stupid and trope-reliant, but I can see why people enjoy it. I also hate Jon Krasinski, though, but hey...

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:22 pm 

The ending was pretty stupid, yeah, but unfortunately it isn't terribly uncommon for movies like this - a lot of em tend to end with rather easy resolutions. Not excusing it though.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:10 pm 

Easy resolutions are fine so long as they're either ironic or symbolic. Signs, for example, has a pretty simple ending, but it's one that is built to. Every version of War of the Worlds ends the same, but they all serve the greater narrative. A Quiet Place just feels very slapdash in its finale.

darkeningday wrote:

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:03 pm 

edit

Last edited by StryckenFromHistory on Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:37 am 

I agree with First Man being trash. Complete garbage and possibly the worst wide release I watched this year. Walked out of the theatre when there was an hour left.

Suspiria was amazing. I would say I easily loved it ten times more than the original. A gutsy, artsy, movie that has deep contempt for any audience that doesn't love audacious art horror. I actually might see it in theatres a second time, and I never do that. This year has been insane for horror.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 715, 716, 717, 718, 719, 720, 721 ... 818  Next