Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:48 am 

It's kind of amazing just how hard the 90s hit Don Bluth. He's the animation equivalent of what the 90s did to John Carpenter (save for, in each respective case, Anastasia and In the Mouth of Madness).

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:57 am 

Here's the trailer for The World's End, a new film from Nick Frost and Simon Pegg. Looks just as funny as all the other times they've collaborated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF-4c8U- ... detailpage

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:22 am 

Subrick wrote:
It's kind of amazing just how hard the 90s hit Don Bluth. He's the animation equivalent of what the 90s did to John Carpenter (save for, in each respective case, Anastasia and In the Mouth of Madness).

I dunno. Aside from the animation and songs, Anastasia was pretty goddamn terrible.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:39 am 

The Dead Zone and Misery are the only SK adaptations that I actually liked better than the novels.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:57 am 

I enjoy Anastasia in the same way that I enjoy The Swan Princess. Both are shameless 90s Disney formula knockoffs, but they do the formula pretty good. It's really hard for me to think of which has the better songs though, as both each have their barnstormers in the form of, respectively, In the Dark of the Night and No More Mr. Nice Guy.

At least we can agree that both of them are infinitely better than the animated version of The King and I. Dear god, that movie is fucking awful. If Quest for Camelot was the final nail in the coffin of the 90s animation boom, then The King and I was the casket being lowered into its grave before one of the pallbearers bends over and takes a dump on it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:59 am 

The difference between The Swan Princess and Anastasia, to me anyway, is that the former has plenty of originality and a decent story to go along with its good animation and music, whereas the latter doesn't.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:06 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Speaking of weird fucking animated movies, have you seen The Adventures of Mark Twain? This film absolutely terrified me as a kid, but it was the morish sort of terror; I couldn't stop coming back for more. It's not exactly El Topo or even Fantastic Planet weird, but its still sort of kind of pretty much batshit insane when paired again most of the safe, focus-tested, mainstream animation of today. This one too I haven't seen for years, though, so the standard salt granule caveat applies...

Yes! I've seen that, but not in quite a while. The part where they meet Satan is amazing; still very disturbing even today. The claymation is top-notch, involving a lot of quick transformations of very complex models. Check out the detail on Satan's armor and face(s)! His design is great too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak3z2Pm7Iwg
"Life itself is only a vision, a dream. Nothing exists save empty space and you; and you are but a thought."
Along with traditional animation, it seems claymation and stop-motion animation in general is one of those arts that's being lost, gobbled up by omnipresent CGI. Can you imagine what a company like Pixar could do if they made just one claymation movie?

iamntbatman wrote:
Rewatched Flight of Dragons just now. Funny how a movie you've seen a million times comes flooding back to you even after not seeing it for so many years. The whole pseudoscience-ish bit trying to explain the biomechanics of dragons, dragon fire and dragon flight was a little silly and leads me to think that the book the movie's based on is probably pretty lame, but the movie itself is rad. James Earl Jones as Ommadon was quite awesome. The music is really fantastic, too.

Honestly I'm really glad that Disney released fairly low-key animated movies in the late 70's through the late 80's (until The Little Mermaid came out in '89) since it gave other animation studios a chance to shine, like the Rankin/Bass movies and the wonderful stuff Don Bluth did during this time.

Actually I like the sciencey bits, though it is presented a little ham-handedly. The square-cube law, which severely limits the size of actual flying animals (and traditional dragons in particular) actually ends up working in favor of larger flying animals if they use lighter-than-air methods; small increases in size end up granting much larger increases in buoyancy. Regardless, Flight of Dragons is a wonderful movie, and actually much scarier than I remembered; visually the Sandmirks and the Worm and such strike a perfect balance between cartoonish and grotesque, and from a narrative perspective the script is very good at making them threatening. The heroes are on the brink of death or madness at practically every turn, and of course some actually do die.

One thing a lot of people don't know about those old Rankin/Bass animated movies (Flight of Dragons, The Hobbit, Return of the King, The Last Unicorn) is that they were actually animated by the Japanese studio Topcraft, who in the 80s were bought by none other than Hayao Miyazaki and became Studio Ghibli.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:29 pm 

Yeah, some of the science was vaguely realistic I guess but in that sort of story I'd rather have some sort of fantastical explanation made up than really reaching to offer a believable scientific explanation. Anyway like you said it's a really enjoyable movie and that minor quibble certainly doesn't take much away from it.

I thought the bit with the ogre was especially cool, what with him totally wrecking that inn and the dragons having to use special tactics to defeat it because there's no way they could really beat it in a real brawl.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:35 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Yeah, some of the science was vaguely realistic I guess but in that sort of story I'd rather have some sort of fantastical explanation made up than really reaching to offer a believable scientific explanation. Anyway like you said it's a really enjoyable movie and that minor quibble certainly doesn't take much away from it.

I thought the bit with the ogre was especially cool, what with him totally wrecking that inn and the dragons having to use special tactics to defeat it because there's no way they could really beat it in a real brawl.

But that science-y explanation illustrates the entire point of the movie! It's about changing worldviews, and the general shift from superstition and tradition toward science and change. The guy from the future uses science and logic as a way of understanding the phenomena he experiences, while the older dragon (representing the old world) understands via superstition, or just accepts that that's the way things are at face value and operates empirically.

Yeah, the ogre bit was awesome. That dude was scary as shit, especially in the flashback where he breaks through the inn and kidnaps everyone.

Oberst_Orlok_SS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:16 pm 

ah man, the Top Gun sequel is cancelled. That's alright though because I can't imagine them bringing Kelly McGillis back..unless they cast her in the role of the aircraft carrier.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:28 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
The Dead Zone and Misery are the only SK adaptations that I actually liked better than the novels.

Well, it is David Cronenberg. Has anyone seen Cosmopolis? I want to know if I should watch. If his creative approach has an emergence than I would be eager but I certainly don't want to endure more basic themes and visuals, his safe approach has started to bore me.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:39 pm 

Oberst_Orlok_SS wrote:
ah man, the Top Gun sequel is cancelled. That's alright though because I can't imagine them bringing Kelly McGillis back..unless they cast her in the role of the aircraft carrier.

Tony Scott killed himself. That's going to put a spanner in the works. Although I'm sure we'll get a Michael Bay remake in five years time with a roided up Zac Efron.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:30 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
Cool; been meaning to watch both of these for a while. I actually have Sorcerer but haven't found the right mood/atmosphere to watch yet. Do you know what the real difference between the European and US cuts of Sorcerer are? I believe I've got the Euro one; I've heard there's actually a huge difference between the two, right down to the ending.

I'm sure you'd really like both, but especially Les diaboliques. Sounds very much like a film up your alley. As for Sorcerer, yeah, I didn't actually know there were such different versions going into it. The one I watched was the US one with everything intact. The Euro version is just all mangled up even if it doesn't actually remove anything that vital from the film. The cuts make it more bare bones and more about the situation itself, rather than the characters, but really destroys the whole theme behind it all.

volutetheswarth wrote:
Oberst_Orlok_SS wrote:

Tony Scott killed himself. That's going to put a spanner in the works. Although I'm sure we'll get a Michael Bay remake in five years time with a roided up Zac Efron.

And it won't be much worse than the original. The big question is would it be as unintentionally hilarious as the original. Probably not.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:14 pm 

Dark City: 7.5 out of 10.

Visually impressive film with a very unique and creative setting and plot. A few things where "eh", but it was a fun watch that kept me glued to the film all the way through. I'm glad I saw it and I want to check out the Director's Cut.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:12 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Watched The Paperboy last night... which I think I hated but I can't even decide... I think I just don't care enough about it to even form an opinion. It ended and I asked myself... what the fuck was that even about? The initial premise is pretty straight forward "A reporter returns to his Florida hometown to investigate a case involving a death row inmate." but then it just kinda meanders around for a while before getting burly and somewhat interesting at the end. None of the plot points or anything that really happens in the movie are even remotely fleshed out. McConaghey plays a southern dude like always, Efron is some sexually frustrated turd, Kidman is a wacky middle aged lady obsessed with prison cock... I think Cusack was my favorite part... he was definitely my favorite part actually, playing the "death row inmate" and comes off genuinely fucked. I hate Nicole Kidman but I won't deny watching her pretend to blow Cusack and get off while just staring at him from across the room was entertaining.

This was my favorite film of 2012, hands down. Can't understand how or why anyone could dislike Kidman; off the top of my head, I can't possibly think of a more versatile actress: Dogville, The Human Stain, Rabbit Hole, Flirting, To Die For, the list goes on and on and on. All amazing movies; all featuring amazing (and radically different) performances.

She was sexy but at the same time over-the-top and annoying in it. My assessment of The Paperboy is exactly the same as dontlive's. I would describe the film as acid noir but I hated how the interview part at the beginning was abandoned and there were just way too many subtexts that the movie just threw out there. Yeah, John Cusack was awesome in that Dennis Hopper type acting turn.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:17 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
But that science-y explanation illustrates the entire point of the movie! It's about changing worldviews, and the general shift from superstition and tradition toward science and change. The guy from the future uses science and logic as a way of understanding the phenomena he experiences, while the older dragon (representing the old world) understands via superstition, or just accepts that that's the way things are at face value and operates empirically.

Right, I know. By "fantastical" I didn't mean something like, "well dragons breathe fire, always have" but rather a slightly more fantastical sci-fi type of explanation. In sci-fi in general I feel that there's sort of an "uncanny valley" where the the explanations become uncomfortable if they try too hard to be 100% plausible with our current understanding of science and generally fare better if there's a little bit of mystery. Maybe it would've worked slightly better if Peter was from the near future rather than the 80's or whatever. Then he coulda made something up about the dragon fire being plasma or something without having to hamfistedly explain how dragons generate, exhale and ignite hydrogen gas. It'd also offer explanation as to why dragon fire is usually hotter than regular fire in fantasy stories.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:56 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
explanations become uncomfortable if they try too hard to be 100% plausible with our current understanding of science
What? I've heard everything to the contrary.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:38 pm 

Oblivion - Jesus Christ this movie had a lot of twists. If M Knight Shyamalan saw it, he would explode. Pretty great movie too. Cruise is good, the score epic, the stakes monumental. Morgan Freeman does nothing. Is still badass.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:03 pm 

You actually liked that self indulgent POS score by M83?

like... unironically?

I didn't enjoy the movie either (what's new), but at least it was less shit than that soundtrack.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:08 pm 

Yep, it was fitting.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:12 pm 

Anyone seen Beyond the Black Rainbow? Thinking about picking up the DVD.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:40 pm 

darkeningday wrote:

like... unironically?

I didn't enjoy the movie either (what's new), but at least it was less shit than that soundtrack.

The way I look at it, at least they're attempting to make serious sci-fi movies again. They may not be great, but the increased exposure at the top will trickle down to movies like Moon, and hopefully that will mean more movies like it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:42 pm 

M83 are pretty good but from what I understand, the soundtrack is very much not M83-sounding.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:44 am 

failsafeman wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

like... unironically?

The way I look at it, at least they're attempting to make serious sci-fi movies again. They may not be great, but the increased exposure at the top will trickle down to movies like Moon, and hopefully that will mean more movies like it.

Yeah, it wasn't awful. I'd take five Oblivion clones over one more JJ Trek bastardization. I just found the second half really uninspired and sort of nonsensical:
Spoiler: show
What was the significance of choosing Tom Cruise's character to serve as blueprint for the massive clone army? Freeman's rationalization that "[the HALiens] took our best man and turned him against us" sounded fairly poetic and all but made little rational sense; while it might destabilize (American) morale initially, I doubt it would have had any lasting effect, especially across the entire world. How would The Roboaliens even have known that the very first two humans they came in contact were national heroes? ALSO: The robot aliens can produce infinite easily deprogrammable Tom Cruises but have to stretch their extremely effective (and unwaveringly loyal, easily controlled) manhacks so thinly they're always miles apart from eachother...? Since when is biomatter so much more easily generated than mechanical? Or did I just miss something, here?

Cool first half, though, outside of some wishy-washy radio chatter that served more as an obstacle to soaking up the atmosphere than it did as an effective vessel for dispensing Act I exposition (which would be repeated again and again and again before it was finally useful anyway.)
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:14 am 

So alot of you seem to go to the cinemas quite alot. I personally only go a couple times a year, if that. I just can't convince myself the price is worth it and usually wait until blu-ray to get it next to nothing. I can get three to four movies for the price of one movie at the cinema. Do any of you have a problem with movie prices, or are they cheap where you are?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:44 am 

My closest theater charges only 5 bucks (including tax) for a first-run movie, provided you go either before 5pm or on Tuesday (although 3D films are $3 more). Were this deal to vanish, though, I doubt I'd ever even go.

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:34 am 

Saw Suspiria recently. Horrific.

How had i not seen this before ?!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:32 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
So alot of you seem to go to the cinemas quite alot. I personally only go a couple times a year, if that. I just can't convince myself the price is worth it and usually wait until blu-ray to get it next to nothing. I can get three to four movies for the price of one movie at the cinema. Do any of you have a problem with movie prices, or are they cheap where you are?

I always go with friends, it isn't worth it to me otherwise.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:16 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
This was my favorite film of 2012, hands down. Can't understand how or why anyone could dislike Kidman; off the top of my head, I can't possibly think of a more versatile actress: Dogville, The Human Stain, Rabbit Hole, Flirting, To Die For, the list goes on and on and on. All amazing movies; all featuring amazing (and radically different) performances.

She was sexy but at the same time over-the-top and annoying in it. My assessment of The Paperboy is exactly the same as dontlive's. I would describe the film as acid noir but I hated how the interview part at the beginning was abandoned and there were just way too many subtexts that the movie just threw out there. Yeah, John Cusack was awesome in that Dennis Hopper type acting turn.

Yeah, that's my main beef with Kidman, I just think she's annoying as shit. She could be the best actress in the world but I just find myself genuinely disliking her in any movie I see her in. I remember thinking Dogville was abysmal but I can't remember why now.

Watched Django Unchained last night and enjoyed it. As others have already stated, Waltz is the man.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:23 am 

Mama- my friend kept begging me to see it when it was in theaters and thankfully we didnt. 3/4ths of it is just boring, with the rest being lame cliche jump scares and some really bad cgi.

Hanzel and Gretel Witch Hunters- one review I read called it a SYFY channel movie with a huge budget and thats what it felt like. It was fun, but the cgi looked horribly dated.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:47 am 

Yeah, Mama wasn't that great. The ending especially felt like they really had no clue how to end the movie properly. At least Jessica Chastain was cute in it.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:10 pm 

Just watched Texas Chainsaw (2013). It wasn't that great. Without spoiling too much, the story takes a bizarre turn in the second half that I just couldn't buy. But on the positive side, the lead actress has a sexy midsection and the wardrobe designer wisely chose to highlight this for much of the film's running time.

And I hate to be That Guy, but when it comes to the TCM franchise, the original will always be the best. Especially because it had the annoying wheelchair guy.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:37 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
volutetheswarth wrote:

I always go with friends, it isn't worth it to me otherwise.

I go alone, I don't mind and I'm not waiting for my friends haha. i have a theater near and it's not quite expensive to go before 6pm. I don't go often as I enjoy watching movies at home but there's good blockbusters this summer. I went to see Iron Man 3, I'll go see the Man of Steel and I just came back from the movie I was expecting the most!

The new Star Trek was a superb movie. Of course, it won't please the kvlt and pvre Trekkies as it doesn't deviate from the first movie and it's not what they want the movie to be. But for what it is, a great sci fi/action movie, it's the best of its generation. Benedict Cumberbatch is freaking awesome of the villain.
But I knew who he was even if they kept his identity hidden (a bad decision) it's the 2nd movie from the reboot and The Wrath of Khan was the 2nd Trek movie. Still he was very convincing as John Harrisson/Khan and this movie will make the British actor a superstar.

The bromance between Kirk and Spock is great, greatly played by Zachary Quinto, the Vulcan 1st officer is very interesting and while I'm not a big fan of Chris Pine, he's good at Kirk and Alice Eve as Carol Marcus <3333333333 Oh yeah!!!!!

If you liked the first movie, go see Into Darkness as it's even better.

Further thoughts:
We were able to see the Klingons (they look cool) and the table is served for the 3rd movie as a Klingon and Federation war is probably coming or at least they'll be more present.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:09 pm 

The way I see it, I can pay $1 at Redbox, or just download, to watch a movie by myself later. Here in Florida it's like 10 bucks most of the time for theaters. Ha ha. Just not worth it for me to go sit alone by myself.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:18 pm 

Yeah it was a lot better than the first one. Which was pretty ass, let's be honest. Most of the weight was on Cumberbatch and he pulled it off in spades. My favourite thing about the movie. I also always enjoy Karl Urban as the doctor. Was it as good as something like Oblivion? No. But it was a bombastic, relentlessly action packed fun time with much less shaky cam and lens flare than I expected (though it's still there). The scope is just huge. The 3D was actually fine too, even if I hate that sort of thing.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:30 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The way I see it, I can pay $1 at Redbox, or just download, to watch a movie by myself later. Here in Florida it's like 10 bucks most of the time for theaters. Ha ha. Just not worth it for me to go sit alone by myself.

It's 10 bucks here too but I have the necessary confidence to go watch a movie by myself ;) I don't like when it's full of people though, kids and shit. Luckily the theater was almost empty this afternoon.

Wah, Necro? The first one was pretty damn decent! It was a good introduction to the characters but yeah, the story was a bit weird and the bad guy played by Eric Bana (I don't like this actor at all) was pretty bad. The 2nd one is better in every ways.

I don't care about 3d (I get something to eat instead of paying 15 bucks for this shit) so I've seen the "normal" edition.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:43 pm 

The 3D was on a massive screen, twice as big as the regular ones. I couldn't resist.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:50 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
The 3D was on a massive screen, twice as big as the regular ones. I couldn't resist.

Gimme that screen and a remote control to pause Alice Eve's sexy scene and I'm fine with it. I'll eat some pop corn at home.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:56 pm 

I certainly don't it hate like my good, trekkie friend, but here's Just some general plot-holes and personal grievances:

I love how the dreadnought was able to use it's weapons on a ship travelling at warp speed. Also, Kirk's plan is to escape to Earth and thereby get help but when they get there, the solar system mysteriously has no ships anywhere, even though the federation always has a few around purely for defense purposes, and the starbase which we saw earlier is also nowhere to be seen (maybe it was stuck behind the earth?), then they just seem to forget why they fled to Earth in the first place. When they didn't contact any of the federation planets -like Earth- for assistance while in orbit, despite a battle raging in orbit, I assumed they were conveniently being jammed, but then, out of nowhere, Spock gets to contact Nu Vulcan, so we get a cameo from Leonard Nemoy, just so he can tell the audience what we already know; that Khan is a murderous, treacherous psychopath. Why didn't he send for help from several of the Federation systems? And if he was specifically being jammed, why didn't he at least ask Spock, or some other Nu Vulcan official to send help?

Spock:"USE WHAT HE WANTS AGAINST HIM AND TRY NOT BE KILLED BY A GENESIS DEVICE. OH, AND MAKE SURE SOMEONE YELLS OUT KHAN'S NAME IF A MAJOR CHARACTER DIES."

Younger Spock:"Yeah, thanks a bunch, future-self, I guess I'll just go fuck myself."

And when Khan was attacking all those Klingons, he literally stood in one place shooting, out in the open, while an entire squad of soldiers and three gunships just sat around for 5 minutes while he punched holes through them. This has it's place in action films, but they're called the Rambo franchise, not Star Trek.
And even though I'm about to rant about how it deviated from the series, it was just so stupid at the very end when Spock, now captain of the Enterprise, is told the wreckage of the Dreadnought is preventing them beaming up Khan... and then Chekov turns to him and suggests he, the captain of the enterprise, and not as much security personal as can be mustered, be sent down to apprehend the veritable anti-Christ of modern sci-fi.

Spock: "Thank you Chekov, I am well aware of Starfleet Code 6314, which mandates that the highest ranked starfleet officer on board must be personally sent down to hunt escaped, dangerous fugitives, by himself, and if he is unable to apprehend the individual, send down his significant other, especially if she has limited combat experience. I suppose I should be thankful that the planet has breathable air, this time".

Something else that bugged me about this, is that the dynamic of the friendship between Kirk, Spock and Bones has completely changed. Bones was always the passionate foil to Spock's seemingly cold and emotionless personality (the "pointy" ear remark was something he often said, not Kirk), with Kirk often being the mediator between the two and their non-stop bickering. Here, however, McCoy, an essential character and protagonist in his own right has been utterly usurped by Kirk, and has been demoted to being chief of comical relief. Oh he still does some things in the background, even important things, but he's about as close to Kirk and Spock as Scotty and Chekov.

On the plus side, there were some great things about this film. The exchange between Kirk and Spock that almost literally mirrored Spock's death scene in Wrath of Khan was actually pretty cool and emotional, even, and the opening scene really reminded me of the classic show. The dialogue in general was pretty entertaining, and I never felt the humour fell flat. And of course, the visuals of the space-skirmishes were fantastic.

Ultimately, I have the same problem I have with Batman:TDKR (well that's unfair, even with it's faults, it's still a much, much better film than TDKR by virtue of being relatively enjoyable). And that is, it has some really dumb shit happening, but the production values are fantastic, so that logical voice of reason get's drowned out by a booming score, explosions and the awesome special effects. But it's still there, and you end up walking out the film with a lot of the wrong kind of questions, and that's never a good thing coming away from a simple popcorn flick.

lurkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:01 pm 

A 3D movie in my local is the equivalent of about $15, assuming you bring your own glasses. If you forget, you're looking at closer to $18. I don't go to the movies much...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 400, 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406 ... 818  Next