Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:40 am 

Been on a 70s movie kick lately. Don't know why. Some of these I'm seeing for the first time in more than 30 years.

First up was Kingdom of the Spiders (1977). Starring William Shatner and no one else, this was just one of a series of B-movies that he pumped out between the end of Star Trek: TOS and Star Trek: TMP. A western town gets webbed up by tarantulas, after which you can forget you ever saw this movie.

Next was Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977), which I've seen about six million times. No 70s movie kick is complete without it though. I found it interesting that on the anniversary edition bonus DVD Spielberg freely admits that there's no way he would have made that movie even 10 years later, after he had kids. Roy, after all, does abandon his family.

Last night was The Car (1977). Starring James Brolin in a pre-Amityville role, with Ronny Cox is a small be-sideburned supporting role. This one is actually pretty good, if dated. Probably the only real negative is the dumb looking sped up film during the chase scenes, since everyone was obviously going about 20 mph. Enjoyable.

I've got 1979's The Amityville Horror and 1973's Don't Be Afraid of the Dark queued up next. Wish me luck.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:14 am 

GTog wrote:
Been on a 70s movie kick lately. Don't know why. Some of these I'm seeing for the first time in more than 30 years.

I've got 1979's The Amityville Horror and 1973's Don't Be Afraid of the Dark queued up next. Wish me luck.

After you watch Amityville Horror, be sure to never watch another movie in that franchise.

It is a solid 70's horror film. After that, though, ehhh... The 4th movie is about a stupid looking "evil lamp", and filmed entirely in terrifying suburban daylight.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:47 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
GTog wrote:

After you watch Amityville Horror, be sure to never watch another movie in that franchise.

It is a solid 70's horror film. After that, though, ehhh... The 4th movie is about a stupid looking "evil lamp", and filmed entirely in terrifying suburban daylight.

They're stealing Stephen King's ideas!

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:23 pm 

I love Threads but it never made me cry

some others off the top of my head that made me blubber are the Elephant Man, Mary and Max, American History X

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:32 pm 

In other news I just watched Mysterious Skin and it was seriously gnar. There was this pervasive feeling of entrancing dysphoria throughout that was pretty unreal alongside the general dreaminess of its presentation (and soundtrack). All in all it's mad heavy and now I'm just left with this brutal anxiety about everything.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:17 pm 

No one asked but here are a few of my favorite movies to cry over: The Butler, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Interstellar, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:15 am 

When it comes to media that makes you cry, I tend to cry only while watching anime or animated Disney/Pixar movies. Live-action films just don't provoke that response from me...well, with the exception of The Shawshank Redemption, and that's likely just because it's the best goddamn movie ever made and I'm sad to see it end.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:30 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

They're stealing Stephen King's ideas!

He probably could've made that work.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:09 pm 

official thoughts on what I've been watching

Dancer in the Dark - I didn't know at all what to expect from this movie beforehand aside from some claims of guaranteed tears, and I definitely got those. It's quite simple but so brutally real and personal that the slow burn aspect of it is downright scorching. I could tell after just like twenty minutes that I was gonna lose it, but didn't know how yet. Misfortune falls constantly upon sweet little Bjork's head (who gives the performance of a lifetime) and empathy just swells and swells until the ending where the bubble finally explodes. A strong connection grows (at least for me) during those subtle moments where she starts talking about the beauty and music she sees in everything, and the simple yet poignant facial cues where the tiniest hint of a smile is formed while she stares blindly ahead. An ultimate portrayal of a severely mistreated mother's love for her son and drive to only make sure his life goes on normally and happily. This one ran my tear ducts dry. 5/5

Irreversible - Seems to me like this movie barely had anything going for it aside from the two scenes everyone talks about. Take those away and we're left with a lotta nothing, and all your fancy camera and reverse storytelling gimmicks don't do enough to distract me from the fact that this movie is more shallow than a kiddie pool and nowhere near as enjoyable. Sure, we come to realize that it's all even more fucked than you may have imagined at the beginning, but that's about it. Horrible things happen, try to do something about it, get your face smashed in. I don't want to call it a cinematic failure, but it was just entirely uninteresting and I don't care about any of it. 2/5

Grave of the Fireflies - As someone who's dealt with the central themes this movie revolves around, like poverty and homelessness, I found it all the more sorrowful and relatable. Another example of love like no other, this time between an orphaned brother and sister. Much like Dancer in the Dark, our main character will stop at nothing to ensure and maintain the well being of his little sister through the hardest of times. Very little empathy is exhibited towards the two from everyone else in the movie, so it's up to you to feel even more strongly for them. Love and devotion never dies, even if you do. 4/5

The Broken Circle Breakdown - Tears were jerked again. Following a struggling relationship through the loss of a child, this movie has a lot to truly decimate your heart. There's ups, and in heavier abundance, there's downs. The downs tend to be mended for a while just like any lover's spat, until the time comes where it's beyond repair. Over time the downs get stronger and stronger building up a greatly voluminous reserve of emotion until the end, which was perfect on so many levels.
Spoiler: show
When he tells his seconds away from dying wife to say hi to their daughter if she sees her is really powerful when you consider the character's staunch beliefs and previous exhibitions of such. Then, obviously I was expecting a kind of sad, slow song to be played there at the end, but the way they went was pretty much infinitely better, showing everyone just rocking their hearts out. Cut to tattoo. You may have to leave the room
4.5/5

Funny Games - This movie is more memorable on the whole as opposed to having that notorious scene(s) that bring on the discussion. There's a lot of anti-humor (perhaps?) stirred in with the satirically unsettling concept and portrayal of fear. There's not much to it but a tongue in cheek depiction of home invasion. The disturbing elements come from the fact that this family is forced into these things with each other, and the juxtaposition of these two parties. Two smiley and deranged youngsters just having "fun", and a family of three bound together in extreme fear for their lives. 3.5/5

Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom - I feel like this movie might be too dated to be all that disturbing, especially for young bucks like myself who know nothing of the times (I do imagine it was quite a shocker) and that are spoiled by cutting edge depravity in the media. I found myself laughing more than any other sort of reaction, suppose I could just be a sick freak though. I was expecting more graphic violence but that hardly comes around until the very end, where there's a lot of admittedly brutal things going on. Nothing about this movie really floored me but I didn't dislike it at all. It does carry itself with some absurd sort of high class atmosphere, and these guys are definitely freaks through and through. I'd guess the disturbing aspects of it come from the general idea that these are just people who can in fact do all this for their own disgusting satisfaction based on differences of class, and that great joy and glee comes from their activities, with innumerable bouts of spontaneous sodomy and other such wretched things intertwined with the stereotypical view of high society and prejudice. 3/5

Mary and Max - First off the imagery was so cool, with the surprisingly expansive and evocative dreamlike landscapes and settings. These claymators really sculpted something special. I've been talking about empathy a bit already, but this movie really delivers it in heaps. Through the letters of two loners a world apart, we're treated with an immensely deep and personal insight of their lives, emotions, pleasures, and struggles. While a girl becomes a woman and a man becomes an, uh, older man, the bond between the two remains unbreakable. There comes moments where you think it might have snapped, but even just a thin strand always maintains its connection. Sadness does intermingle with the plethora of other emotions that surface throughout the movie, but ultimately the tears that it provoked (which were quite high in quantity) were of joy rather than despair. It doesn't set out to depress you, rather it's an extremely rejuvenating and beautiful tale of an unexpected friendship.
When Mary answers the door to her neighbor bringing her the package just as she's bout to hang herself. The forgiveness.
Cut to all the letters hung on the wall.
"You are my best friend, you are my only friend."
Damn it I'm crying right now. 5/5

Mysterious Skin - Sure there's some sick movies on this list, but this was by far the most uncomfortable experience of them all. Even just the sheer subject matter will make your mysterious skin crawl. Coupled with a dream pop soundtrack and slow motion scene progression, depictions of child molestation manage to become something of a hazy mirage, almost evoking a sort of nostalgia, disturbingly enough. I suppose it is nostalgia, it shaped these kids' lives into the people they eventually become, and what started off as apprehension morphs into a perplexing sense of yearning. Frequently dysphoric yet always entrancing, this movie kept my eyes glued to the screen while it gripped my heart and stomach like a vice. What little remnants of a soul the characters have left is continuously crushed as they consider it all, and they grow numb and destroyed and back again as they succumb to this ghetto of a life, the only thing they know.
Irreversible's rape scene may have been longer, but the forced sodomy of Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character toward the end is, in my opinion, way more brutal. This guy's wasn't playing around.
"YOU'RE GETTING FUCKED IN THE ASS WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT!"
Cut to face smashing, blood soaked bathtub, penetration of the strongest degree. (Not shown though)
4.5/5

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:42 pm 

Only movie in recent memory that really pushed me to the point of almost bawling was The Green Mile. It's not that good of a film though.

Mary and Max is great, indeed. It was very relevant to me as I have an autistic brother.

Did a blind buy and went and bought Tenebrae, as I've heard it was the most thematically dense and personal work from Argento, which interests me, since Suspiria didn't seem to have any of that stuff and didn't interest me as much.

Also, I demand that everyone watch Onibaba and Kuroneko at some point in their lives. They're both beautifully shot and are elegantly constructed tales about love, women and society in feudal Japan.

Just to give you an idea of how beautiful the films are (both by Kaneto Shindo, by the way) here's a snap:

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:53 pm 

Watched The Stepfather. How, fucking great movie. Starts at full speed and then cruises the whole time. Terry O'Quinn does a masterful job portraying the broken, unfocused central character here, and the moment he delivers his "who am I here?" line was surprisingly effective. Outstanding. Held my attention the entire time. Top form 80's horror/thriller.

Then re-watched Company of Wolves. Haven't seen this since I was a teenager back in the day. I don't know what the fuck was going on in this movie at any time. Be cautious of a werewolf film where Angela Lansbury gets top billing. A mix of horror, fantasy, and fairy tales with seemingly three different, though similar stories mashed together. I couldn't follow a fucking thing. The werewolf transformation scenes were okay, but some audio and acting was laughable or silly. Obvious nods to Little Red Riding hood don't save this from being a mess.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:36 pm 

Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich - Not as fun as it should have been. I don't know whether to blame the script (written by the Bone Tomahawk guy) or the directors, but something about this movie prevented it from working. The first half hour was rather slow as it established the main character, who still never made much of an impact on me. Then the death scenes often involved characters who were basically introduced in the same scene they got killed, because I had no idea who they were.

This probably wasn't that much worse than the many forgettable movies I give my standard 5 / 10 rating, but I'm giving this a 4 / 10 because of the frustration of the wasted potential. And because of the shameless sequel bait ending.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:47 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Watched The Stepfather. How, fucking great movie. Starts at full speed and then cruises the whole time. Terry O'Quinn does a masterful job portraying the broken, unfocused central character here, and the moment he delivers his "who am I here?" line was surprisingly effective. Outstanding. Held my attention the entire time. Top form 80's horror/thriller.

Oooh that one's on my list, I've heard good things about it and have heard it's rather like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, which, as far as I'm concerned, is one of the best 80's horror films.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:35 am 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Oooh that one's on my list, I've heard good things about it and have heard it's rather like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, which, as far as I'm concerned, is one of the best 80's horror films.

I had a longer post but deleted it. I wouldn't say these two films are all that much alike for a variety of reasons, but I'd encourage anyone to see Stepfather. I'm only disappointed in myself for waiting this long to see it.

I also watched Dead Pit over the weekend. Directed by the guy that made Lawnmower Man and Virtuosity. It was... very much a straight-to-video horror film of the late 80's/early 90's. Silly mad scientist plot, a ridiculous mental asylum setting loaded with easy cliches and tropes, and a female protagonist averse to bras. The audio was fuzzy, the gore was abundant, the atmosphere icky. It wasn't great.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:55 pm 

https://jpfilms.online/twenty-four-eyes

this made me cry like a baby. I liked it the whole way, though it's pretty slow, but it never seemed like I was gonna cross the threshold into tearland, but the ending just hit way too hard

BenjaminC81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:50 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
GTog wrote:

Actually i think part 2 is better then the first one. Damiano Damiani really cranked out a terrific piece of Italian sleaze with that one which easily tops the first one in all respect. The second one was everything i expected from the first one.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:22 am 

BenjaminC81 wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Actually i think part 2 is better then the first one. Damiano Damiani really cranked out a terrific piece of Italian sleaze with that one which easily tops the first one in all respect. The second one was everything i expected from the first one.

To be fair, I can't even remember if I've seen the second one. This is a franchise I've seen mostly sporadically, as opposed to something like Friday the 13th or Chucky or Halloween, where I've seen them all and effectively marathoned them at some point. I'm mostly aware that the Amityville franchise kinda fell apart the way the Howling or Jaws franchises did.

Except that Jaws 3 is a work of unmitigated accidental genius.

So maybe this is something I'll aim for this October. Maybe I'll finally check out the whole franchise. I need to do the same with Hellraiser... which... per my understanding, also went downhill badly after part 3.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:17 pm 

Frontière(s) - This whole movie really needs to calm down. And everyone needs to stop trying to be so hard cuz they be lookin' like fools. So there's that and not much else to say about the movie. Highly unoriginal and stereotypical with some decent but unextraordinary splatters. It rips off a lot from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and any number of modern torture movies that suck like Hostel, although this is leagues better than that at least. Hostel is terrible. This movie has Nazis. I'm not into this brand of action horror. It did have at least one good horror moment though aside from the killings. 2.5/5

Synecdoche, New York - This didn't become my favorite movie ever or even one of them like I thought it might have the potential to, but I'm not gonna sit here and pretend like it's not a great and groundbreaking movie. Unfortunately this'll be a case of me not being able to exactly articulate what it was that didn't hella click with me, being a dumbass and all. The only other Kaufman movie I've seen was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and I liked that better. Synecdoche is funnier though, and a lot whacker if the surrealism. A lot of people'll tell you it's a movie to watch with emotions rather than logic, and that's pretty agreeable to me. The timeline is absurd and hard to make sense of, but feelings still run deep throughout the whole thing. It seems to me like a portrait of an artist obliviously decomposing and self-destructing, with everything and everyone around him only breaking him down more. There's a lot of fantastic shots too. I dunno, maybe I'll have to watch it again to figure out more to say. Still 4/5

天浴 [Xiu Xiu: The Sent-Down Girl] - After watching this it dawned on me that it's the only Chinese movie I've seen (pretty sure). I would learn after this that the Orient is rampant with empathetic themes and sorrow. This movie was good but never flooring to me. It's slow (though that's not a problem with me considering the following movies in this post) and bleak and sparse, depicting a young girl sent away to the countryside to assist a nomad farmer. The film centers around homesickness, I'd say, that only grows as the protagonist doesn't return when she was promised she would. Various people that stop by say they can make it so that she can get back, only to take advantage of her is all sorts of ways while her host watches on in despair. Sad ending, though I didn't tear up, the movie didn't do enough to establish the emotional bond. 3/5

二十四の瞳 [Twenty-Four Eyes] - The story here is so simple but so nice. A schoolteacher watching her students grow up in wartime Japan. And boy do these kids love their teacher. Similar to what I said about Mary and Max, numerous sad events occur to really connect with the viewer before the ending comes around to make you realize that life is beautiful. I cried here, majorly. I imagine if you've ever had a strong connection with a teacher it would hit even harder, I never did and it still got me wrecked. It's slow and long but so humble and heartwarming. Seriously, these kids' admiration stays strong until they're adults, never forgetting their teacher the whole way. The end made me so happy I couldn't breathe. Only giving it4.5/5 because there's a lot of singing filler.

東京物語 [Tokyo Story] - There's hardly anything to do with a plot here, and that makes it all the more genuine. Even slower in pace than Twenty-Four Eyes, it's a simple view into the lives of a Japanese Family. There's so much to connect with here though it didn't make me cry as much as before. Its simplicity makes it hard to say a lot, but this is a highly emotional piece of film. 4/5

山椒大夫 [Sansho the Bailiff] - It's hard to find much fault with this movie, except maybe the title. Yeah Sansho was a major character but I wouldn't say he's worthy of the namesake. Either way, this is completely transcendent. Utterly beautiful cinematography, bold music, and emotions turned to 11. It's all about endurance, the strength to be no matter the circumstance. Yes, it made me cry again. 5/5

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:31 pm 

Paris, Texas was so good I can't even handle it. One of the best looking and feeling movies ever. 5/5

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:01 pm 

The Meg - This was what I figured it would be, a dumb shark movie. But for all the ridiculous moments and plot points fit for a SyFy original, this was surprisingly tight and entertaining. It maybe wasn't GREAT but it accomplished what it set out to and I had fun laughing at this silly bullshit.

Summer of 84 - Dug it. This was by the guy who did Turbo Kid, which I still haven't seen. It's shamelessly retro and maybe didn't have to be, but I can't lie, I kinda like that aspect of it. But the writing and characters are so good they transcend any whiff of pandering some might get. And it's got a killer dark, mean streak running through it and will pull some lethal twists on you. Recommended.

American Animals - This was entertaining and well acted and hit most of the boxes for a sort of offbeat crime comedy type movie. But it felt disjointed because they kept cutting to talking head interviews with the real people the story was based on, which robbed the film of its drama and didn't let the actors really feel out their characters. A case where showing would've been better than telling... or they should've just made a documentary.

The Happytime Murders - This was unwatchable. I actually considered leaving the theater a few times, which I never do. The jokes were all bottom of the barrel garbage, edgy try hard shit for 12 year olds, and the story was bare-bones cliche and didn't even try to be a satire even. I fucking hated this shit.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:29 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Summer of 84 - Dug it. This was by the guy who did Turbo Kid, which I still haven't seen. It's shamelessly retro and maybe didn't have to be, but I can't lie, I kinda like that aspect of it. But the writing and characters are so good they transcend any whiff of pandering some might get. And it's got a killer dark, mean streak running through it and will pull some lethal twists on you. Recommended.

I just watched a trailer for it and it seems like this is another perfect slice of 80s pastiche, similar to Turbo Kid (which also shamelessly retro but makes up for it with excellent characters). I've raved often enough about Turbo Kid and how great it is, so I must see this. Is it on Amazon? Theaters?

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:21 am 

I saw it at the local indie theater that sometimes shows rare movies. It was mentioned that it was at Sundance or some other similar festival, so I'm sure it'll be out some places soon enough.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:49 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The Happytime Murders - This was unwatchable. I actually considered leaving the theater a few times, which I never do. The jokes were all bottom of the barrel garbage, edgy try hard shit for 12 year olds, and the story was bare-bones cliche and didn't even try to be a satire even. I fucking hated this shit.

That's a shame. I had such high hopes for it.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:02 pm 

I rewatched Princess Mononoke for the first time in about a decade. Between then and now I've fallen in love with Studio Ghibli.

Mononoke was actually even more violent than I remembered, which is awesome. It wasn't as emotionally impacting as a masterpiece like Spirited Away, but it felt like one of their most visceral pieces, along with Nausicaa. I love it. Nothing is as good as Spirited Away.

Last edited by Jonpo on Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:04 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

That's a shame. I had such high hopes for it.

I can't think of another movie I've hated this much lately.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:41 am 

^ Wow. I've never heard of this movie, but after reading the synopsis I can see why you guys would've been excited for this.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:49 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
^ Wow. I've never heard of this movie, but after reading the synopsis I can see why you guys would've been excited for this.

I didn't know what to expect. Just figured it'd be something to do on a Sunday but now it is a deep regret I have.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:21 pm 

I thought it would be another crashing wave in the now-rising tide of high-quality R-rated films that have finally been coming out these past 5 years, but apparently not.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:49 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I thought it would be another crashing wave in the now-rising tide of high-quality R-rated films that have finally been coming out these past 5 years, but apparently not.

You aren't including Game Night as part of this are you? I watched that last weekend and that was a waste of money and time. There was nothing clever about any of the writing. It just felt like someone came into a board room and said "Game night gone wrong" and this was the bullshit the writers were able to come up with.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:32 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

I didn't know what to expect. Just figured it'd be something to do on a Sunday but now it is a deep regret I have.

Spending two minutes of my life just watching the trailer is now one of my deepest regrets; I can only imagine how you must feel. ;P

Our TV broke during our move back in April and we still haven't replaced it, so I haven't been watching much lately. I'm curious about the Suspiria remake though. The trailer looks pretty good.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:48 pm 

It has Melissa McCarthy in it. What could possibly have made you think that it'd be anything but atrocious?

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:09 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

I can't think of a time that this ever looked watchable. Movies of this ilk are always a single already over-done 2-minute joke stretched to a merciless 90 minutes. I'm sure you expected this going in. So I have to ask: Why?

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:12 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I just watched a trailer for it and it seems like this is another perfect slice of 80s pastiche, similar to Turbo Kid (which also shamelessly retro but makes up for it with excellent characters). I've raved often enough about Turbo Kid and how great it is, so I must see this. Is it on Amazon? Theaters?

Theaters. I'm looking forward to it. Glad to hear it sounds solid, even if it is obviously inspired by the success of Stranger Things.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:51 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I can't think of a time that this ever looked watchable. Movies of this ilk are always a single already over-done 2-minute joke stretched to a merciless 90 minutes. I'm sure you expected this going in. So I have to ask: Why?

The puppet episode of Angel was fantastic. And like I said, it looked fun enough compared to the other stuff in theaters which was all sequels and other shit I'd already seen or don't care about. I like going to the theater.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:35 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

The puppet episode of Angel was fantastic. And like I said, it looked fun enough compared to the other stuff in theaters which was all sequels and other shit I'd already seen or don't care about. I like going to the theater.

Fair enough, I suppose. I would imagine--without seeing Angel--that they were toying with an existing universe in a fun new way that played on tropes, instead of just being a "kid stuff turned adult" joke beaten raw.

I'm thinking of, offhand, of an episode of Stargate SG-1 that focused on working with Hollywood to make a very fake TV show/movie similar to the actual Stargate program for the sake of deniability. And in it, they bandied out countless lofty ideas, including Stargate-ish parodies of Farscape, Wizard of Oz, and the old Thunderbirds show or Team America.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:00 pm 

He may not be as prolific in the field as someone like David Cronenberg, but I'm saying Bad Taste and Braindead are easily enough to proclaim Peter Jackson as the master of splatter.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:25 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Fair enough, I suppose. I would imagine--without seeing Angel--that they were toying with an existing universe in a fun new way that played on tropes, instead of just being a "kid stuff turned adult" joke beaten raw.

I'm thinking of, offhand, of an episode of Stargate SG-1 that focused on working with Hollywood to make a very fake TV show/movie similar to the actual Stargate program for the sake of deniability. And in it, they bandied out countless lofty ideas, including Stargate-ish parodies of Farscape, Wizard of Oz, and the old Thunderbirds show or Team America.

It's not like I was expecting greatness. It's a dumb, silly idea, but the sheer lack of even the most basic writing talent was what really surprised me with it, like not even mildly funny jokes.

Watched Isle of Dogs the other night again. What a pure joy that movie is. So fucking visually creative and it's fast paced and fun as hell.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:27 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Adult muppet shit is awesome, from Peter Jackson's Meet the Feebles to The Dark Crystal to the third season of Farscape (also made by Brian Henson and the Jim Henson Creature Shop FYI) even to the utterly bizarre muppet porno, Let My Puppets Come, I was beyond excited for an R-rated muppet film from the Jim Henson Creature Shop. I'm really sad it ended up being shit.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:25 am 

Meet the Feebles rules

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:11 pm 

Gotta say, I really did not get Black Swan. It really just came off to me as a dolled-up, dumbed-down Repulsion. The "ambition will ultimately kill you" message is so mundane and done to death. I enjoyed the more horror-oriented scenes, but the whole thing takes itself so seriously I got pretty bored after a while. Still looking forward to Pi and Requiem for a Dream though.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 709, 710, 711, 712, 713, 714, 715 ... 818  Next