Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:38 pm 

This is part of why I hate Twitter, as one can selectively find tweets and weaponize them without context.

What I do love, though, is how quick the backlash is coming. Hiring convicted pedophile Victor Salva for Powder, the Crowd in Dumbo, already talk of John Lasseter's history...

I know GotG is sci-fi/fantasy in a comic book movie format, but I love how loyal horror fans are. That's another similarity between horror and metal/punk.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:47 pm 

Finally got around to watching Shin Godzilla. It was alright. I liked what they were doing at the beginning, I think...felt like a massive parody/criticism of overblown Japanese bureaucracy where they had ridiculously expanding board room meetings to discuss every little fuckin' development, but then the joke (if it was one) stopped being funny and like 80% of the movie wound up being board room meetings. The actual Godzilla stuff ranged from okay-ish (the parts that were more of a clear homage to Godzilla movies of yore) to totally awesome. The part where he first uses the breath attack and fucks up giant swathes of Tokyo was super awesome and looked great. I guess it's a typical complaint about Godzilla movies, but I wish it had way more of that and way fewer board room meetings.

I also thought it was hilarious that they hired a full-blooded Japanese woman with limited English skills to play the mixed-race third generation American diplomat. Maybe she's a big star in Japan or something and they wanted the movie to be a vehicle for her, which is fine, but they couldn't have thought of a different role? I mean she could've been basically exactly the same character but explained as a liaison to the Americans rather than one of them, and just give her fewer awkward English lines.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:57 pm 

Yeah after thinking and reading some more on it, I don't think Gunn should've been fired for all that stuff. It's a weird time right now. The weaponizing of tweets is pretty troubling.

Some shit I've seen lately...

Gangs of New York - Great sprawling epic crime flick. Lot of eye-catching moments and an engaging story that played out in a classic cinematic way. Leo Dicaprio and Daniel Day-Lewis are great and the long epic length gives you a lot to feast on. I wish I'd seen this earlier. Scorsese is just one of those natural talents and this seems to come with ease to him.

Calibre - Fucking cool horror/thriller. A couple of dudes go on a hunting trip and inadvertently kill a kid and his father. What follows is unsurprisingly not good. This was super tense all the way through. Just wicked and dark and you couldn't quit watching. It finishes in a truly cold-blooded fashion.

Fantastic Four (2015) - Really fucking bad. Like Cliff Notes or a Wikipedia entry turned into a movie. Really just nothing good about this at all, and it's one of the worst superhero films I've ever seen.

Sorry to Bother You - Absolutely bonkers, cut-throat, punk rock shit. A satire with razor-sharp wit. You can't really explain this without seeing it, but it's basically a dude getting a new job at a call center and things spiral off from there into a biting indictment of American workplace politics and classist rage against the big-wigs. I was gob-smacked by this and it's easily a contender for movie of the year.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:01 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
I finally watched Guardians of the Galaxy 1. Worth it for the Lloyd Kaufman cameo. Indeed, this is essentially what a Troma movie looks like when it's PG-13 with a budget.

Ironically, just as James Gunn was fired from the series.

I saw some of the tweets - pretty fucking bad and it was probably the right decision. He doesn't seem like a well guy.

These really don't seem that bad for someone who cut their teeth on Troma films. Crass jokes, whatever. I don't think these are the worst things I've seen on Twitter, which is rife with actual hate, bullying, and racism--on top of which, he seems to feel bad about them and deleted them and apologized anyway. I really don't see the big fucking deal. This was all done by conservatives who cannot handle criticism of their fucking demigod.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:20 am 

I know I'm years late on this but I finally jumped on the Neil Breen train and watched Fateful Findings.

Holy...absolute shit. Why do people waste their time talking about The Room when this exists? That climax sequence was probably the greatest thing in film history. Never before has there been such a perfect storm of ego and incompetence in one movie.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:02 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
These really don't seem that bad for someone who cut their teeth on Troma films. Crass jokes, whatever. I don't think these are the worst things I've seen on Twitter, which is rife with actual hate, bullying, and racism--on top of which, he seems to feel bad about them and deleted them and apologized anyway. I really don't see the big fucking deal. This was all done by conservatives who cannot handle criticism of their fucking demigod.

They're fucking tame compared to half of what he wrote for Troma. Sometimes I wonder how young Empy is, or at the very least how few movies he's actually seen, based on what his gut reaction is. That's not even a dig, as I like him, but there's no way one could see Tromeo & Juliet or Gunn's cameo in Citizen Toxie and think those tweets were serious. Hell, even Slither is kind of a dead giveaway to how twisted his humor is.

darkeningday wrote:

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:18 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Finally got around to watching Shin Godzilla. It was alright. I liked what they were doing at the beginning, I think...felt like a massive parody/criticism of overblown Japanese bureaucracy where they had ridiculously expanding board room meetings to discuss every little fuckin' development, but then the joke (if it was one) stopped being funny and like 80% of the movie wound up being board room meetings. The actual Godzilla stuff ranged from okay-ish (the parts that were more of a clear homage to Godzilla movies of yore) to totally awesome. The part where he first uses the breath attack and fucks up giant swathes of Tokyo was super awesome and looked great. I guess it's a typical complaint about Godzilla movies, but I wish it had way more of that and way fewer board room meetings.

I also thought it was hilarious that they hired a full-blooded Japanese woman with limited English skills to play the mixed-race third generation American diplomat. Maybe she's a big star in Japan or something and they wanted the movie to be a vehicle for her, which is fine, but they couldn't have thought of a different role? I mean she could've been basically exactly the same character but explained as a liaison to the Americans rather than one of them, and just give her fewer awkward English lines.

I'm torn about this movie. Part of me loves it and part of me thinks it doesn't feel quite like Godzilla. The review they quote that says, 'A reboot that is unquestionably Godzilla,' is strange to me, since this is easily the most questionable Godzilla yet (the 1998 movie was never made). It's the only movie that portrays him as other than a mutated dinosaur. I appreciate that they did something totally different, but it still doesn't sit quite right with me. Also, his new attacks are just absurd. They should've stuck to his utterly devastating breath attack.

About that actress: she said that it was a nightmare for her speaking all that English.

Speaking of Godzilla, here's a trailer for Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... VDtmouV9kM

!!!

Last edited by ~Guest 171512 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:02 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

They're fucking tame compared to half of what he wrote for Troma. Sometimes I wonder how young Empy is, or at the very least how few movies he's actually seen, based on what his gut reaction is. That's not even a dig, as I like him, but there's no way one could see Tromeo & Juliet or Gunn's cameo in Citizen Toxie and think those tweets were serious. Hell, even Slither is kind of a dead giveaway to how twisted his humor is.

Eh, it's bad and they were unfunny and not worth defending. Not the worst things ever on Twitter though, true. If anything I always just generally object to fucking dumb, banal shit like that with no point to it. People talk about free speech and such but I operate on what's worth saying, not just what you have the ability to say. So I don't think he should've been fired but I also think calling the tweets jokes is an insult to jokes.

I dunno though, if not having seen those Troma movies calls into question how many movies I've seen then so be it I guess. Didn't realize that was some big badge of honor...

I have seen Slither and that hasn't held up at all. I also didn't like Super. Guess his humor isn't for me at all.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:17 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I dunno though, if not having seen those Troma movies calls into question how many movies I've seen then so be it I guess. Didn't realize that was some big badge of honor...

Given your predilection for horror and indie films, I think watching Troma classics is a bit of a must given they're the longest running independent film studio around. They're also more popular with a certain age group, hence my questioning.
Quote:
I have seen Slither and that hasn't held up at all. I also didn't like Super. Guess his humor isn't for me at all.

I'm in agreement on both, actually, but bringing those up is an attempt at reinforcing the "this shouldn't be a surprise" point.

Also, relevant:

darkeningday wrote:

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:23 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I know I'm years late on this but I finally jumped on the Neil Breen train and watched Fateful Findings.

Holy...absolute shit. Why do people waste their time talking about The Room when this exists? That climax sequence was probably the greatest thing in film history. Never before has there been such a perfect storm of ego and incompetence in one movie.

watch double down. like 1000000000x more incomprehensible. hail breen.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:07 pm 

Oh, I plan to. The RedLetterMedia watch of it had me in tears.

Edit: I'm still trying to piece my mind back together after watching Double Down. Lynch has NOTHING on Breen. Also, exciting news: the new Neil Breen movie, TWISTED PAIR, is coming out soon. Check out the trailer!

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:07 pm 

(Argento's) Dracula 3D - Was there a 10 feet long praying mantis in the book? Because there is in this lame, cheap-looking adaptation. I wasn't all that impressed with the Argento movies I've seen from his prime (Suspiria, Inferno) and it looks like we can add him to the list of horror directors who do some of their worst work in their later years. Just stick with (Coppola's) Dracula, even if it has a completely miscast Keanu Reeves.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:55 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Oh, I plan to. The RedLetterMedia watch of it had me in tears.

Edit: I'm still trying to piece my mind back together after watching Double Down. Lynch has NOTHING on Breen. Also, exciting news: the new Neil Breen movie, TWISTED PAIR, is coming out soon. Check out the trailer!

OH YOUR GOD

This is insane. I immediately shared the trailer with one of my friends and we're STOKED HA HA HA

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:11 pm 

Yeah, I'm pretty psyched. I still have to watch "I Am Here....Now" and "Pass-Thru." I still really wanna watch Double Down or Fateful Findings whilst drinking with friends.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:20 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
(Argento's) Dracula 3D - Was there a 10 feet long praying mantis in the book? Because there is in this lame, cheap-looking adaptation. I wasn't all that impressed with the Argento movies I've seen from his prime (Suspiria, Inferno) and it looks like we can add him to the list of horror directors who do some of their worst work in their later years.

Deviating greatly from the source novel has been a given as far as Dracula adaptations go for a long time. But yes, that, and most of Argento's output in the 2000s, has been fairly lame. I love Inferno, Deep Red and many of the other classics, but everything kind of started to fall apart after the 1980s.

Quote:
Just stick with (Coppola's) Dracula, even if it has a completely miscast Keanu Reeves.

I prefer the hammer or even the Franco versions, and of course the 1932 film is an amazing part of history. All of them have their faults though, and I'd be happy to never come across another adaptation of this venerable tale.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:17 pm 

Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula (I refused to call it Bram Stoker's Dracula) is a godawful piece of shit. Why is it so hard to make a movie that stays true to the book? It's not that complicated. Even the best Dracula movies diverge pretty wildly from the source material.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:33 pm 

People are standing up for James Gunn over the Disney firing.

This brings up a point I've had during the fallout of the #MeToo movement. Take stock for a moment and note that I'm not defending anyone's actions or anything, here. But, I admire the women (and men, I'm certainly not going to dismiss Terry Crews) for coming forward on what is notoriously difficult to speak out on. The sheer number of people who have fallen by the wayside in that is obscene and frequently disheartening. Louis C.K., Kevin Spacey, etc. Some of these men are true, unforgivable monsters, like Weinstein, and others, like Louis C.K. made the worst possible kind of non-apologies.

But then we have people who own up to their mistakes and move forward. They make their apologies and they tend not to make excuses. Zero tolerance punishment and dismissal of these people accomplishes nothing. It gives no incentive for anyone else to own up to their mistakes and many, if not all of us, have said or done things in the past we'd not want held over our heads permanently. James Gunn's tweets are very old, he apologized, and he didn't blame anyone but himself. So why treat him with the same callousness as people like Weinstein and Kevin Spacey deserve? To my knowledge, Spacey didn't even apologize.

The worst part of this is the people doing this attacking tweet worse things and they aren't just making crass jokes, like Mike Cernovich and he's not trying to be funny.

Allowing cybernazis (as Dave Bautista put it) get away with this is literally allowing terrorism to win.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:08 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Allowing cybernazis (as Dave Bautista put it) get away with this is literally allowing terrorism to win.

I guess I haven't been following this closely enough, because I have no idea what you're talking about here. What commonly understood definition of "terrorism" applies in this case?

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:38 pm 

"Cybernazis"? "Twitter terrorism"?

:durr: :lol:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:47 pm 

Xenophon wrote:
"Cybernazis"?

You have a better name for alt-right demagogues who spread populist fascist propaganda over the internet?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:50 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
alt-right

Just this. No need for all these ridiculous and ambiguous ___-nazi derivations.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:14 pm 

I don't even like using the term alt-right, I was just looking for a synonym. As heinous as theocrats like Ted Cruz and Mitch McConnell may be, at least they go out of their way to denounce actual self-described racists and people crusading for "peaceful ethnic cleansing." These creatures have no place in American politics. They're nazis.

Anyway, to get back on topic:
Was I just profoundly buttstonked or was the 2009 remake of My Bloody Valentine starring fucking Dean Winchester actually pretty okay? Go easy on me, I don't usually do slashers.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:38 pm 

alt-right =/= nazi

The Sherlock TV show and the two films with Downey have really good, playful-sounding soundtracks (and are really fun pieces of TV and film). I've just been reading some Discworld with the music playing in the background, and they go perfectly together. Apparently, a third Holmes movie is in the works for 2020.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:13 pm 

Xenophon wrote:
alt-right =/= nazi

Enlighten me.

This what I'm guessing you're gonna write:
Spoiler: show
the alt-right may want to """peacefully""" ethnically cleanse non whites from America but jokes on you they were never literally members of the Nazi Party during World War 2 so therefore cannot be Nazis, see? Checkmate libs

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:50 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Xenophon wrote:
alt-right =/= nazi

Enlighten me.

This what I'm guessing you're gonna write:
Spoiler: show
the alt-right may want to """peacefully""" ethnically cleanse non whites from America but jokes on you they were never literally members of the Nazi Party during World War 2 so therefore cannot be Nazis, see? Checkmate libs

ex dee

No.

But to get back on topic like you said, I'm thinking of going to a brutal dm festival this weekend, and I was wondering if anyone knows if these kinds of bands play the movie samples on their albums during their live show? The only metal band I know that uses the album samples during their live set is Kataklysm. Is it difficult to get around the copyright restrictions for playing movie samples during a concert?

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:05 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Was I just profoundly buttstonked or was the 2009 remake of My Bloody Valentine starring fucking Dean Winchester actually pretty okay? Go easy on me, I don't usually do slashers.

No, it's among the better horror remakes of the era, behind Dawn '04 and The Crazies 2010 but miles ahead of the F13/NOES/TCM remakes or Zombie's Halloween. I'd also count it among the rare remake that is better than the original.

Xenophon wrote:
But to get back on topic like you said, I'm thinking of going to a brutal dm festival this weekend, and I was wondering if anyone knows if these kinds of bands play the movie samples on their albums during their live show? The only metal band I know that uses the album samples during their live set is Kataklysm. Is it difficult to get around the copyright restrictions for playing movie samples during a concert?

Some bands will use the same samples as on the recording, some only use the iconic ones (i know Skinless regularly uses the Vince McMahon sample when playing "The Optimist" live), and others use the original samples and then some (Pig Destroyer immediately comes to mind).

I'm almost positive that fair use requires the sample to be under 30 seconds to avoid copyright infringement without it being a straightforward critique, so unless the entire IP is being broadcast without written consent then I don't see how legal issues could crop up.

darkeningday wrote:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:21 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

No, it's among the better horror remakes of the era, behind Dawn '04 and The Crazies 2010 but miles ahead of the F13/NOES/TCM remakes or Zombie's Halloween. I'd also count it among the rare remake that is better than the original.

I saw the 2009 remake in theaters, and I also remember it being pretty okay. The CGI was atrocious, but it had decently oppressive atmosphere for a slasher.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:30 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

Xenophon wrote:

Some bands will use the same samples as on the recording, some only use the iconic ones (i know Skinless regularly uses the Vince McMahon sample when playing "The Optimist" live), and others use the original samples and then some (Pig Destroyer immediately comes to mind).

I'm almost positive that fair use requires the sample to be under 30 seconds to avoid copyright infringement without it being a straightforward critique, so unless the entire IP is being broadcast without written consent then I don't see how legal issues could crop up.

Thanks, good to know. I remember seeing Goolagoon at MDF last year and being a bit disappointed they didn't play their Spongebob samples live haha.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:32 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
acid_bukkake wrote:

I saw the 2009 remake in theaters, and I also remember it being pretty okay. The CGI was atrocious, but it had decently oppressive atmosphere for a slasher.

All of that shit is so bad. I mean I guess some of it could be seen as being good for its time, but man am I glad horror has moved beyond those goofy remakes.

You guys shouldn't sleep on Sorry to Bother You. Haven't been this excited about a movie all year. Raw and provocative and radical shit.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:16 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

I guess I haven't been following this closely enough, because I have no idea what you're talking about here. What commonly understood definition of "terrorism" applies in this case?

I guess metaphors are beyond you? Would you have preferred if I said "bullying?" Because semantics is important, I know. That's one of the top three uses of the internet.

#1 is Porn
#2 is to harass, bully, and terrorize other people
#3 is to argue semantics about the definition of harassers, bullies, and terrorizers/terrorists instead of discussing the problems caused by said individuals
#4 is porn, but lowercase
#5 is cat videos

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:38 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

I can figure out Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but what's F13 and NOES? There was a lot of remakes in that era, which frankly, was a toss-up as to if it was better, worse, or lateral to the era preceding it. That era being the "every movie is PG-13 and watered down" era. Boy howdy I hated that shit. Why can't there just be a decent mix of horror out of Hollywood? Why does it always have to be idiotic eras and phases these days. The PG-13 era. The remakes era. The "everything is trying to be a shitty Saw torture porn ripoff" era.

Bite me, make new movies.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:49 am 

Yeah, MBV's only real flaws were the awful washed out picture (they hadn't quite figured out how to shoot 3D on digital yet) and also the expectedly gimmicky use of that 3D. I was almost shocked how well-handled the identity of the killer was; it did it a lot more skillfully than something like High Tension, which seems to be the more well-regarded film.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:23 am 

Continuing the Breenathon, I watched "I Am Here....Now" and it was...ok. The ratio of stock footage is a bit lower in this one compared to the two movies that bookend it, but it makes up for the lost padding in the running time with even more reuse of the same shots over and over, plus tons of incredibly long, pointless shots. Like before showing some "gangsters" they have to have a two-minute slow pan establishing shot of the crumbling building before they show the guys in front of it. So, overall much more boring than than other two I watched, though it still has some great shit, like Breen's most hilariously Mary Sue role yet, plenty of ludicrous violence, and one part where there's supposed to be a tarantula crawling across the desert but it's just an inanimate rubber spider clearly being dragged by a string. Also it has really cheesy romance music during a scene where a guy's hands are getting chopped off, and a chick gazing lovingly into the eyes of Breen in a dollar store Halloween ghoul mask.

Sometime soon I'll watch "Pass-Thru", then it's the wait until TWISTED PAIR.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:21 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
I can figure out Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but what's F13 and NOES?

Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street.
Quote:
Why does it always have to be idiotic eras and phases these days. The PG-13 era. The remakes era. The "everything is trying to be a shitty Saw torture porn ripoff" era.

New movies are coming out quite frequently, but those are trends. Trends have happened in every era.

darkeningday wrote:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:05 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Quote:
Why does it always have to be idiotic eras and phases these days. The PG-13 era. The remakes era. The "everything is trying to be a shitty Saw torture porn ripoff" era.

New movies are coming out quite frequently, but those are trends. Trends have happened in every era.

Yep. The psychotropic horror of the 60s, Christian horror of the 70s, slashers in the 80s, etc.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:09 pm 

I just watched Hellraiser for the first time since I was a kid, and boy am I glad I did. The effects used for the various stages of Frank's resurrection are a treat, and Pinhead is utterly menacing in his simplicity.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:22 am 

i luv dogs: i didn't luv diz movie. Bottle Rocket Wes Anderson is dead. Long live Fantastic Mr. Fox Wes Anderson. It bore more than a passing resemblance to Watership Down, but the problem is that Watership Down is about bunnies which are objectively better than dogs, and Watership Down was already made into a movie that can spin circles around anything from Wes Anderson. IoD was worth watching for the visuals and sounds, but if you're hoping for anything more than a 15 year old American weeb's assumption of what Japan must be like (complete with Kabuki theater, Sumo wrestling and pornographic sashimi preparation), you're going to be disappointed.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:25 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Quote:

Valid point, I suppose. There are always better films that slide in beneath the trends. Event Horizon was one of those in the 90's during that brief period before neo-Slashers took off when there was almost no horror out of Hollywood.

Anyway, I finally watched some movies. It's been a while. Been a lot of "real crime" TV for me lately.

Extinction - An alien invasion movie with a new angle to it. Has rather low metascores, but I found it to be pretty decent, if not truly great.

Raw - French movie where a vegan tastes blood and gets a craving for human meat. A whole movie on the concept that you have to put a dog down if they bite a person because once they have the taste of human flesh, they crave it. This is a funny thing to think, like humans are the tastiest part of the food chain. It was okay.

Also, has anyone seen the trailer for Mandy?

The movie title looks like a band logo.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:59 am 

I finally watched Human Centipede: First Sequence with my girlfriend. It's one of her all-time favorites. It's uh...boy. Wow. It's just super duper uncomfortable punctuated with a few ridiculous laughs.

It was more restrained than I expected in a lot of ways. IE the creation wearing bandages and undies the whole time.

Herr Laser was pretty spectacular in his role as the doctor.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:03 pm 

Between The Funhouse Massacre and Office Uprising, I've seen a few really fun and surprisingly well crafted horror comedies lately.

darkeningday wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 707, 708, 709, 710, 711, 712, 713 ... 818  Next