Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:53 pm 

There's no way that Jigsaw movie isn't a lame cash grab. It's amazing that they're still trying to push that shit on audiences - who even cared or wanted more? I guess enough people did though... pretty sad with the number of other options, including just rewatching the original and only good Saw movie, but whatever.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:59 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
There's no way that Jigsaw movie isn't a lame cash grab.
That is real open minded.
Empyreal wrote:
It's amazing that they're still trying to push that shit on audiences - who even cared or wanted more?
I actually was fine with them leaving it alone but I am curious as to how they are going to go about it. I do not think they are making it just to make it. Why now and not any other point? Or is any point in time just a cash grab if you already dislike the product?
Empyreal wrote:
I guess enough people did though... pretty sad with the number of other options, including just rewatching the original and only good Saw movie, but whatever.
I bet you could not cite just three reasons why the original is superior.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:10 pm 

It's an opinion about a movie like several people have, based on the fact that it's the eighth sequel in a horror franchise. I really doubt it was someone's great artistic passion to make it... but who knows really.

The original had the best story and didn't rely on the convoluted plot devices and manufactured drama of the later ones. Later on they got too focused on elongating the story artificially through twists just as excuses to make more movies. The second Jigsaw killer they revealed later on was awful and all the ways they kept overcomplicating the story again and again made it nearly unbearable. Generally, writing that focuses on plot twists that heavily is just bad. And that's what the Saw sequels did - endless manufactured twists and "drama" just to set up another sequel. It was trashy writing.

You keep on bringing up all these little details and characters and what not, and I can't debate that as I haven't seen the movies in a while and just don't care as much. I find the way this series wrote characters to be bad in general. I think it's pretty weak writing if you can't make good characters without sticking them all in some death trap and having them only change because of that. For me good characters come from relatable human experiences and struggles. In the Saw series they're mostly forced to change or go through drama because a random serial killer forced them into a trap - that isn't compelling to me.

The first Saw was actually a breath of fresh air for a time mostly cluttered with remakes of Japanese films and bad teen movies like I Know What You Did Last Summer, and parodies like Scary Movie or whatever. It was a cool concept and interesting for its rawness and unpredictability. Maybe not perfect, but it was exciting stuff for me as I was very young when I first saw it - wouldn't say it's one of my favorites anymore obviously, but I remember how it felt finding that.

Then it just got turned into another boring sequel cash cow. If you get invested in this story, cool... I did not.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:34 pm 

Jigsaw is one of those movies I'll see eventually, but I'm more interested in its box office performance than in the actual film. In the past year or so we've already had attempts to revive the Ring and Blair Witch franchises, and neither was particularly successful. I think those disappointing results may have contributed to the decision to scrap a planned Friday the 13th movie.

My gut tells me not that many people want another Saw, but my gut also told me nobody wanted a Deadpool movie or another Jurassic Park and I was hilariously wrong on both of those.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:57 pm 

I participated in a sort of Q&A contest at a local bar recently, and one of the rounds had you trying to guess whether the description of a bizarre/gruesome death was from one of the Saw films, or something that actually happened to someone in Florida recently. Six out of ten turned out to be real. People in Florida die in extremely unsettling ways.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:06 pm 

^Wow that's morbid...

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:55 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
my gut also told me nobody wanted a Deadpool movie

Why on Thor's snowy Earth would you think that? Deadpool is the most popular comic book hero of the last several years. He has like 1000 different comic lines on Marvel right now, and they all sell out.

Anywho, I watched The Witch twice yesterday. Quite good, I think I'd give it a 4/5. It actually increased in score the second time. One of the better more recent movies I've seen.

Spoiler: show
For those who saw it, do you think Thomasin was a witch before she took the offer? Or after? Or do you think it's possible the twins were witches and then Thomasin became the witch after their deaths? I ask because I'm wondering why all of these bad omens were happening to that family seemingly before anyone was a witch. Maybe it was due to the proximity of the coven in the woods being so close? And Black Phillip lusted after Thomasin and wanted her as a part of his/its coven.

GTog wrote:
I participated in a sort of Q&A contest at a local bar recently, and one of the rounds had you trying to guess whether the description of a bizarre/gruesome death was from one of the Saw films, or something that actually happened to someone in Florida recently. Six out of ten turned out to be real. People in Florida die in extremely unsettling ways.

Ever hear of the game Germany or Florida? There's a reason that game exists. Spoiler: The odd death stories are usually Florida, and the odd sex stories are usually from Germany.

Last edited by kybernetic on Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:33 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
For those who saw it, do you think Thomasin was a witch before she took the offer? Or after? Or do you think it's possible the twins were witches and then Thomasin became the witch after their deaths? I ask because I'm wondering why all of these bad omens were happening to that family seemingly before anyone was a witch. Maybe it was due to the proximity of the coven in the woods being so close? And Black Phillip lusted after Thomasin and wanted her as a part of his/its coven.

I just recently rewatched The Witch and agree that it only got better the second time, and I liked it a lot the first time I saw it.

I actually think the movie's pretty transparent in the chronological way it shows the events. Thomasin wasn't a witch early on in the movie, she wasn't sneaking off to the woods to do things we didn't know about. She loved her family, and she was consistently betrayed by them. Throughout the movie we see Thomasin being a very reasonable, good person but constantly being lied to and mistrusted by her family. One of the very first scenes shows her praying to god by herself, worrying about leaving commune/church they're being kicked out of and begging for her soul. She always wanted to be accepted and loved by her family, but her dad was a hypocrite and her mum was (understandably) hysterical and paranoid and convinced herself that Thomasin was behind all of their misfortunes. Thomasin turns to the devil at the end because throughout the whole movie she'd kept her faith, praying to god, believing in her family, only for everyone to turn on her and die around her.

The twins weren't "witches", but they were definitely somewhat possessed, or at least could hear the devil in Black Phillip. At the end where they're trapped in the goapten with Thomasin, you see a witch appear and gorge herself on the animals, then the following morning the twins are gone. We don't see them again but shortly after we do see that coven in the woods performing a big ceremony before taking flight. Earlier in the movie it implies that the witch who kidnapped Samuel killed him and used his insides for a spell, so I think it's pretty safe to assume the twins were sacrificed during that bonfire ceremony at the end.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:52 pm 

Razakel wrote:
I actually think the movie's pretty transparent in the chronological way it shows the events. Thomasin wasn't a witch early on in the movie, she wasn't sneaking off to the woods to do things we didn't know about. She loved her family, and she was consistently betrayed by them. Throughout the movie we see Thomasin being a very reasonable, good person but constantly being lied to and mistrusted by her family. One of the very first scenes shows her praying to god by herself, worrying about leaving commune/church they're being kicked out of and begging for her soul. She always wanted to be accepted and loved by her family, but her dad was a hypocrite and her mum was (understandably) hysterical and paranoid and convinced herself that Thomasin was behind all of their misfortunes. Thomasin turns to the devil at the end because throughout the whole movie she'd kept her faith, praying to god, believing in her family, only for everyone to turn on her and die around her.

The twins weren't "witches", but they were definitely somewhat possessed, or at least could hear the devil in Black Phillip. At the end where they're trapped in the goapten with Thomasin, you see a witch appear and gorge herself on the animals, then the following morning the twins are gone. We don't see them again but shortly after we do see that coven in the woods performing a big ceremony before taking flight. Earlier in the movie it implies that the witch who kidnapped Samuel killed him and used his insides for a spell, so I think it's pretty safe to assume the twins were sacrificed during that bonfire ceremony at the end.

More stuff about The Witch!

I generally agree with your assessment of the film. I think it's pretty clear overall, but there's definitely still some things the watcher can ponder over. I think Thomasin was trying to be good and faithful to god and her family. However, I wonder where that witch manifested from? The witch that took Samuel. How did the baby get taken at the blink of an eye from Thomasin when she was right there watching over him? It was two seconds, so that seems a bit suspicious to me. And where did the idea that a wolf took Samuel come from? I don't recall.

I didn't actually think that the twins could be used in the coven ceremony at the end of the film, but that's certainly possible. Do you think Thomasin would really be able to look on and laugh though at her twin siblings being butchered and used for the ceremony? I can't quite see her being that emotionally detached so quickly from her family. But perhaps when she signed and turned that corner, her familial attachments turned off like a light.

Another thing that was clearly pointed out in the film was how inept the father was at providing for his family. Thomasin even says to him that he can't field, he can't hunt. All he can do is chop wood. Perhaps if he were a better provider for his family, the devil and the witches wouldn't have had such a strong and immediate effect on them.

I feel like I need to watch the film a third time now. I feel like I missed some things still. haha

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:21 am 

Jigsaw- only for fans of the films(which Id say is a rental at best), but for the most part, unnecessary. There were a few cool kills at least. If they make another, I doubt Ill see it.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:30 am 

I've watched Baskin and I have to say I was really impressed. First of all it's a Turkish horror movie. I know they make some good dramas there but pure horror with blood and guts and style? That's a nice surprise. The Cannibal Holocaust nod was another pleasant one. The director is not shy of directly referencing one of his biggest influences.

I would have liked them to "get lost and get chased" rather than just be chained basically right away after discovering the cult. Something like that exploration part in The Void, with the mutilated bodies hanging around and all. I mean, the setting was awesome, going down the stairs in an old abandoned building that basically leads to hell, that's perfect for some "what the fuck is chasing me in the dark?" moments.

But overall it was a visual feat that went straight to the point. A bit slow at times maybe, but it's definitely an unforgettable watch.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:14 pm 

(2017) Errementari - The Blacksmith and the Devil yesterday during the premiere at our San Sebastian Horror Film Festival:
http://www.sansebastianhorrorfestival.eus/2017/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=112&ide=65891&dia=28&Itemid=14&lang=en
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com.es/2017/01/errementari-de-paul-urkijo-alijo.html
https://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=119558

Cool history, ambientation, violence, FX and humour. Not bad. At all. :thumbsup:

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:17 pm 

I finally watched Vampyr from 1932 tonight. I expected more of a narrative, considering the time it was made, and C.t.D's other films, but I really liked it.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:45 am 

Empyreal wrote:
There's no way that Jigsaw movie isn't a lame cash grab. It's amazing that they're still trying to push that shit on audiences - who even cared or wanted more? I guess enough people did though... pretty sad with the number of other options, including just rewatching the original and only good Saw movie, but whatever.

100% this. The original is fantastic and nothing after came close. Typical case of an original horror idea executed amazingly and gutted with a senseless franchise.

Watched the Babysitter last week. Real good genre-bending horror movie and highly recommended for anyone who can like a little more fun and lightheartedness thrown in.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:10 pm 

I said it before, but the first Guardians Of The Galaxy was the first movie to set the tone of the MCU to come. Colorful locations and fun characters abound. It seems Thor: Ragnarok is delivering this in absolute spades, and is getting really high marks across the board. This makes me even more excited for Black Panther and future MCU movies, as a result.

----

Late to the party on the Saw stuff, but the story beats in the first Saw are inconsistent as hell. However, they have that amazing scene of the girl trying to get that contraption off her head, and the camera is spinning around all crazy-like in the room she's in. Pretty good scene.

I remember really enjoying the next two or so movies, but I think the last one I enjoyed was the one where Jigsaw has brain surgery, and his skull is getting cut open. I don't think I've seen any of the other ones beyond that. I was also fairly young when I saw these, so maybe they don't actually hold up all that much.

Is Jigsaw a reboot of the franchise, or is it supposed to an origin story, or...?

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:16 pm 

^Not a fan of Guardians of the Galaxy at all. I think all the characters are lame.

Real excited for the new Thor, though.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:54 pm 

A Ghost Story - Well, this was a sorry-ass movie. Like It Follows, this film is basically a bunch of nothing happening at you slowly. A guy and a girl are supposedly in love and about to move; said guy dies in a car accident and wakes up as a dumpy lump in a sheet who trundles around for the rest of the movie. She eats a pie, and he stands there, then she throws up, and he stands there, then she brings a guy home and he gets grumpy, then she moves and some Mexicans move in, making him even grumpier, until the point where he can't stand it and throws some dishes around. Eventually they tear the place down, so this sorry sheeted sod has to trundle off elsewhere, and ends up back in time, for no apparent reason, and sees his old gal. This could have been cut from the movie with no loss (along with the rest of the movie), because then we're back in the present day, and blah blah blah, I've already put more effort into this 'review' than the writers did into the script, so fuck it. Don't waste your time.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:25 am 

Nah it was good. Pretty unique and well crafted overall. Interesting and nothing else really like it... an affecting, personal little movie.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:30 am 

Yeah, it was unique in that most movies aren't this pretentious and bad. No that it was 'affecting' and 'well crafted'. Seriously, this movie established no real relationship between the two main characters before dividing them, nor did it show any strong love between them, and then we're expected to care about this dope moping around for an hour. Sorry, it sucked.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:20 am 

I didn't think it was great as it lost me towards the ending, but found its depiction of grief and way of talking about the afterlife to be interesting. I feel like if it did what you're saying it would've been much less interesting to me. I also loved It Follows and consider it one of the best movies in the last few years so I dunno, just differing taste I guess.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:49 am 

I watched in only 3 drays Blade Runner 2049 and Thor Ragnarok. It was the visual exemplification of something very artsy and a pile of shit.

Seriously, what they hell were thining when they filmed the new Thor?. Previous films were enjoyable, too much humour sometimes(something that has become a plague during the last years) but something acceptable. New Thor is like a bad parody, full of bad jokes even in the theoretically most serious moments of the films, destroying the slightest sense of tense and seriouness. I even feel ashamed when I was watching the film. I can´t imagine how good actors like Anthony H. and Cate Blanchett have accepted to take part in shit pathetic production. At leat Hela was one of the few decents things of this film.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:13 pm 

^WRONG

Ragnarok was perhaps the best Marvel movie yet (went to see it in Imax tonight). Amazing fun. Hopkins played in the latest Transformers, he doesn't really care lol.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:28 pm 

Thor: Ragnarok had been triggering my inverse-promotion instinct. The more you see a movie relentlessly pushed, the worse it is. And I've been seeing commercials and social media pushes for this one everywhere. This instinct hasn't steered me wrong much, but that may be because I'm such a curmudgeon about people telling me what I should like.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:23 am 

So my theater "upgraded" to that superscreen dlx format and it's literally the same thing, except more expensive. At least they got recliners now with more space in between.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:04 am 

I went into Thor: Ragnarok expecting a Taika Waititi movie, and that's what I got. Great fun. A few jokes fall flat, but they can't all be winners. Jeff Goldbum absolutely wins this one also.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:26 am 

Metantoine wrote:
^WRONG

Ragnarok was perhaps the best Marvel movie yet (went to see it in Imax tonight). Amazing fun. Hopkins played in the latest Transformers, he doesn't really care lol.

You can´t be serious unless you want to watch a bad comedy with so obvious bad jokes played by Gods.

I mean, its a terrible "watch and forget" Holywood film made for 14 years old guys.

Why this obsession to make jokes all the f*cking time? even in the supposed most serious moments... bang! another joke. What an embarrasment of a film.

Guardians of the Universe, Deadpool... they were actually good films with many jokes. But the film itself and the characters fit with those jokes. Thor and the others don´t.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:09 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
I watched in only 3 drays Blade Runner 2049 and Thor Ragnarok. It was the visual exemplification of something very artsy and a pile of shit.

Do you recommend me the first one?

Paganbasque wrote:
Holywood film made for 14 years old guys.

That's the problem.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:21 am 

If you're asking whether Blade Runner should be seen...

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:45 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

Do you recommend me the first one?

Paganbasque wrote:
Holywood film made for 14 years old guys.

That's the problem.

I do. The first one is untouchable thanks to its epic ending but this new one is awesome, especially the first half. A film to watch and fully appreciate with the best sound(atmospheric) and image. I loved the scenery, landscapes combined with the ambient BSO. The non spoken parts were my favourite ones.

The final part could have been better though.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:03 pm 

Finally saw the new Blade Runner, and it's probably the best-looking movie I've ever seen. It's only a small exaggeration to say that every single frame of the movie could hang in a museum. The soundtrack was phenomenal as well. Acting was great, and may be Ryan Gosling's best performance, at least of what I've seen him in. The only sorta weak point was the overall plot, which wasn't bad at all, it just took a back seat to the amazing sounds and images. Considering this was basically the case in the original, I can't complain too much.

The original Blade Runner is probably my favorite movie of all time, and the new one may have been even better.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:48 pm 

Career Opportunities - On Frank Whaley's first day as the overnight janitor at Target, he gets locked inside with Jennifer Connelly. Writer (but not director) John Hughes seemed to be repeating himself by this point, since this felt like a rehash of elements from his earlier movies. Like The Breakfast Club, the main characters are young people from different backgrounds stuck together for several hours, so they might as well discuss their problems. And like Weird Science, it's basically a "dork + dream girl" story, with

a climax in which the heroes outsmart people who show up with guns.

Still OK to watch once, because it went by fast and had some funny parts. And a memorable scene involving a coin-op horse.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:23 pm 

Thor: Ragnarok was such a good movie. It didn't necessarily have the emotional pulls that a Guardians Of The Galaxy had, but the stunning visuals, comedic bits and the Vangelis-like music cues were really great. Also, I absolutely love the idea of Asgard being just a flat plane out in space, essentially existing in the same "outer space" as Guardians Of The Galaxy, with different planets, etc. I don't know if this stuff was ever established with previous Thor films, but it seems like a smart way to tie in Thor to the larger galactic world of the MCU.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:03 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Finally saw the new Blade Runner, and it's probably the best-looking movie I've ever seen. It's only a small exaggeration to say that every single frame of the movie could hang in a museum. The soundtrack was phenomenal as well. Acting was great, and may be Ryan Gosling's best performance, at least of what I've seen him in. The only sorta weak point was the overall plot, which wasn't bad at all, it just took a back seat to the amazing sounds and images. Considering this was basically the case in the original, I can't complain too much.

The original Blade Runner is probably my favorite movie of all time, and the new one may have been even better.

Same impression I got. A fantastically well made movie overlaying a very dull plot. And Gosling was great.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:56 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
I've already put more effort into this 'review' than the writers did into the script, so fuck it

And I doubt that movie is as funny and entertaining as your review XD

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:54 am 

Inheritance double feature!

House (1985) - A struggling writer with great hair and a plunging neckline inherits a haunted house. I wasn't prepared for how comedic and downright weird this was, but once I got used to it I enjoyed it well enough. Mild recommendation for anyone who likes comedy / horror.

Mr. Deeds - Adam Sandler inherits billions of dollars, then punches people in the face. It sounds like something Eric Cartman made up while wearing a robot costume, but that's basically what happens. Oh, he also falls in love with Winona Ryder, and I probably only watched this because Stranger Things inspired me to revisit some of her earlier stuff. (Bram Stoker's Dracula is next, then Heathers for the dozenth time.)

Anyway Mr. Deeds wasn't great, but Sandler has definitely done worse. There were even a handful of gags I thought worked rather well. Not recommended, but not painful.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:16 am 

The Florida Project - Excellent, heart-rending film. Portrait of a poverty-stricken single mother and daughter living in a shitbag motel "on the edge of paradise" right outside Disney World. This was good in the way that my favorite film City of God was; it showed you a stark picture of the conditions without wallowing in misery or overdramatizing things. It was sad but also had moments of legitimate comedy in the early parts of the film. It's about childhood but also just the plight of these kinds of people, and how they get lost in the cracks and there's barely anything you can really do. Super good, very important. Go see it.

All Hallows Eve 2 - Really awful horror anthology movie. The first film was notable for how savage and unhinged it was in its violence, but this one is like a wet fart. No good stories or even any that come close. Just so fucking bad, every minute of it.

Thor: Ragnarok was alright. Funniest when it stuck to just letting the big characters like Thor, Hulk and more just riff on each other and play off one another. Some very funny side characters too, but also a lot of dumb stuff. The story was generic and the villain was weak. But overall enjoyable enough.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:17 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
I do. The first one is untouchable thanks to its epic ending but this new one is awesome, especially the first half. A film to watch and fully appreciate with the best sound(atmospheric) and image. I loved the scenery, landscapes combined with the ambient BSO. The non spoken parts were my favourite ones.
The final part could have been better though.

failsafeman wrote:

So, I'll have to watch it. Thanks, guys! :beer:

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:17 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
House (1985) - A struggling writer with great hair and a plunging neckline inherits a haunted house. I wasn't prepared for how comedic and downright weird this was, but once I got used to it I enjoyed it well enough. Mild recommendation for anyone who likes comedy / horror.

One of my favs. Pulls a great switcheroo making you think it's an off kilter horror movie as the scares get sillier and sillier, then when you get to the flying knives and rubber suit monsters you realize you've been tricked and it was a comedy the whole time. The sequel House 2: The Second Story is even better. Takes those same elements but adds a bunch of fantasy and adventure stuff and is more comedy focused from the beginning. 2 is definitely in my top ten films of all time.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:42 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The Florida Project - Excellent, heart-rending film. Portrait of a poverty-stricken single mother and daughter living in a shitbag motel "on the edge of paradise" right outside Disney World. This was good in the way that my favorite film City of God was; it showed you a stark picture of the conditions without wallowing in misery or overdramatizing things. It was sad but also had moments of legitimate comedy in the early parts of the film. It's about childhood but also just the plight of these kinds of people, and how they get lost in the cracks and there's barely anything you can really do. Super good, very important. Go see it.

Oh man, I've wanted to see this for awhile. I have a question, though: without spoilers, does the movie leave the characters in a good/satisfying place when the movie ends? I'm skittish about movies about childhood that have drab endings, so I'd like to get a semblance of this before I dive in.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:15 pm 

I dunno, it isn't a happy ending at all. It's not melodrama or anything needlessly dour - it's just real life shit. You don't get that many dramas like this. Definitely worth a watch.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 684, 685, 686, 687, 688, 689, 690 ... 818  Next