Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:00 pm 

Little Evil hangs onto the "Omen...but a comedy" angle too much. It's fine, but The Babysitter just nailed it

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:43 pm 

Watched "The Vault" with Franco. Haunted bank was a good idea, but the way it all plays out makes no sense. The ending is especially frustrating.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:17 pm 

Ridiculously late but the new Blade Runner was rad. I think it had a few glaringly silly things that made it less than a perfect film, but otherwise it was fantastic. Definitely a worthy sequel.

Spoiler: show
The whole speech by Freysa about the replicant evolution was so cliché'd, though. Like they just tacked it on in a hurry because they forgot to make sure the viewer knows K wasn't Deckard's son after all. It was such a dumb scene, baffled that more or less everything else about it was fantastic.

Also Luv is one of my all-time favourite antagonists. Crazy and expressive as shit. Cute, too!

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:23 pm 

There's a new Cloverfield movie premiering on Netflix after the Super Bowl? If it's as good as 10 Cloverfield Lane I'll be happy.

Super Dark Times - A few teenage boys run into major trouble when their moronic tomfoolery has predictably fatal results. The two main characters see their friendship tested by the death and their coverup. Despite OK acting, this wasn't as engaging as the subject matter should have been. And I did not buy the final 30 minutes at all. Not recommended, although YMMV because it has a solid 6.6 IMDB score.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:02 pm 

I watched The Foreigner the other day and I thought it was fantastic. I've never seen Jackie Chan in a role anything like that. He was brilliant. The two things I kept thinking were, 'Poor Jackie Chan,' and, 'Don't EVER fuck with Jackie Chan.' I don't want to give anything away, but, in short, it's a revenge movie about a guy whose daughter gets killed in a bombing, and he's out to find who was responsible. Great, great movie, and I'm not a huge fan of this subgenre.

Last night I watched Rememory, with Peter Dinklage. Everyone knows him as Tyrion from Game of Thrones, a show and book series which eventually I got sick of and started to hate. However, Dinklage is an excellent actor. This movie is about this guy who invents this machine that can record and play back memories, and Dinklage's character steals it to help him find out about his deceased brother. I really liked this movie. My summary of the plot is pretty bad, but just do yourself a favor and watch it.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:59 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Ridiculously late but the new Blade Runner was rad. I think it had a few glaringly silly things that made it less than a perfect film, but otherwise it was fantastic. Definitely a worthy sequel.
The whole speech by Freysa about the replicant evolution was so cliché'd, though. Like they just tacked it on in a hurry because they forgot to make sure the viewer knows K wasn't Deckard's son after all. It was such a dumb scene, baffled that more or less everything else about it was fantastic.

Also Luv is one of my all-time favourite antagonists. Crazy and expressive as shit. Cute, too!

Same here but I didn't like it.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:34 am 

Watched "Ninja III: The Domination" last night. Quite possibly one of the best bad movies I've ever seen.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:51 am 

edit

Last edited by StryckenFromHistory on Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:01 pm 

I might be alone in this, but I've never thought Blade Runner was the untouchable masterpiece that it's held to be. Good movie, for sure, and I just saw the new one, which left me feeling much the same. Good, but not THAT good. Felt too long, for one thing. Visually beautiful and definitely worth seeing though. Just very slow.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:23 pm 

You're not alone. It, like a lot of Ridley Scott's work, is a visual masterpiece with deep themes...but isn't made for constant rewatches. That's why Alien will always be considered his best work, IMO.

Bad Day for the Cut (2017)
Donal (Nigel O'Neill) is a middle aged farmer, living in the quiet Irish countryside with his mother Florence (Stella McCusker). One evening, Donal awakens from a drunken slumber to his mother's cry for help, discovering her murdered. Days later, he is attacked in his barn by two masked assailants, killing one and holding the other, Polish immigrant Bartosz (Josef Pawlowski), hostage as he partakes on a quest for both revenge...and answers.

With most revenge tales, the focus is on the retributive violence, glorifying it so the audience feels better for the protagonist(s) engaging in street level justice. Where this breaks from the norm is in how it focuses on the violence. Donal, though strong and fueled by anger over his mother's murder, is not superhuman nor is he invulnerable. His plans routinely fall to pieces and his partnership with Bartosz is revealed to be based on piles of lies.

In fact, the consistent twists and turns in the story are both a boon and a detriment to itself. Upon learning of his mother's past, Donal is forced to examine whether he should close the cycle of violence and allow it to consume him or learn to forgive, providing a nuanced take on the classic tropes.

Unfortunately, this also exposes the film's greatest flaw, as the third act devolves into a blend of clichés and, just as things begin to move forward and offer true closure to the characters, it ends. There is no satisfying conclusion nor even a hint of one coming ahead, the credits rolling following one of the most intense scenes. Add to that a slew of mediocre performances and some pacing issues, and we have a film that could be so much more. 6.5/10

Sweet Home (2015)
Lawyer Alicia (Ingrid Garcia-Jonsson), hoping to make boyfriend Simon's (Bruno Sevilla) birthday a memorable one, steals the keys to a nearly abandoned apartment building after meeting with its sole remaining resident, Ramon (José María Blanco), regarding his suspicions that the landlord is using illegal methods to evict him. After bringing Simon into a ground floor apartment, Alicia awakens to find the front doors chained shut and Ramon murdered in his bed, with the killers not far away.

I've had a minor infatuation with Spanish apartment buildings since seeing REC for the first time. Their layouts are spacious and magnificent, at least the ones on display, but the old buildings are also ripe for horror scenarios. The building plays just as big a role in the story as the characters do, perhaps even more so given the motivations behind the murders. Its shoddy wiring factors into several plot points and the grand staircase provides instant tension during scenes where Alicia and Simon attempt to flee.

In some ways this is a more believable take on You're Next, doing away with completely unnecessary side characters and proving to be very utilitarian in its approach. By the time El Liquidador appears to deal with the witnesses personally, the protagonists have already suffered greatly, only to find the odds stacking ever increasingly against them.

Directed perfectly by Rafa Martinez, the tone never falters, with only the performance of the lead serving as a detriment. What part is due to a language barrier and what part is from her own shortcomings is up for debate, but this is a film that pulls no punches while never falling into excess. 7/10

darkeningday wrote:

Last edited by acid_bukkake on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:44 pm 

The original Blade Runner is super dense and I enjoy the themes of what it means to be human/conscious, that sort of thing - it's visually great but also has a good story and interesting sci-fi "what if" themes. I dig it... the new one basically took 30 years to tell only slight variations on the exact same themes. The ways it leaned on the original as a crutch just made it a weaker story for me.

Phantom Thread was super good. A twisted, macabre and gleefully dark tale wrapped up in a gorgeous visual production and marvelous acting. I barely even want to talk about what happens because it would spoil too much. Daniel Day Lewis is fantastic. It managed to take something I have no interest in - 1950s-era dressmaking and fashion - and draw me in completely. This was a very well told story and I was immersed. Go see it.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:47 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The original Blade Runner is super dense and I enjoy the themes of what it means to be human/conscious, that sort of thing - it's visually great but also has a good story and interesting sci-fi "what if" themes. I dig it... the new one basically took 30 years to tell only slight variations on the exact same themes. The ways it leaned on the original as a crutch just made it a weaker story for me.

They might've been planning to do a couple new stories (before the movie sadly underperformed) but needed this one to get audiences primer'd on the general ideas of the franchise (because you know modern audiences won't sit through a 36-year-old movie). It's my pet theory, anyway.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:54 pm 

Eh, Blade Runner just doesn't strike me as a movie you need a universe or a string of sequels for. Not everything needs that.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:10 pm 

I still think Scott screwed the pooch by not linking the Alien series with Blade Runner. Both deal with corporate control over life in a cyberpunk future, a style the two all but pioneered, and can fit nicely together.

darkeningday wrote:

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:11 am 

Watched "Geo Disaster," one of those quickie ripoffs of another movie that is coming out in theaters which are routinely pumped out by Asylum (in this case, a ripoff of "Geostorm," which was also apparently shit). Watch if you find entertainment in bad CGI, worse acting, and serious continuity problems.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:59 pm 

demonomania wrote:
Watched "Geo Disaster," one of those quickie ripoffs of another movie that is coming out in theaters which are routinely pumped out by Asylum (in this case, a ripoff of "Geostorm," which was also apparently shit). Watch if you find entertainment in bad CGI, worse acting, and serious continuity problems.

Haha, I like sometimes watching the Asylum rip-offs of Hollywood movies just because it's so bad.

I didn't mind Geostorm, personally. Not the greatest film ever conceived, but it was good for what it was.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:05 pm 

I used to really enjoy The Asylum, but these days I find such super self-aware "bad" movies to be annoying rather than entertaining. Give me earnestly made shlock over garbage like Sharknado any day.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:22 am 

I really didn't know Asylum was actually still around. That's bizarre.

Bad movies made on purpose just to be bad, like Sharknado - nah, that shit is terrible.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:37 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I really didn't know Asylum was actually still around. That's bizarre.

Bad movies made on purpose just to be bad, like Sharknado - nah, that shit is terrible.

Asylum makes Z Nation, which is actually pretty decent, and has a 4th season, which is either airing now or just finished. I'm not sure, I watch it when it gets to Netflix.

But I have to agree, when production companies make "deliberately bad movies", they just end up being plain old unwatchable garbage. The formula for "so bad it's good" requires the makers to be honestly trying to make something good, and to fail at every level for whatever reason.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:50 am 

Huh I had heard about Z Nation. The name always kept me from trying it. Maybe I will.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:05 am 

It's a welcome change of pace after how far the Walking Dead has fallen.

darkeningday wrote:

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:52 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
But I have to agree, when production companies make "deliberately bad movies", they just end up being plain old unwatchable garbage. The formula for "so bad it's good" requires the makers to be honestly trying to make something good, and to fail at every level for whatever reason.

A great example of this is Samurai Cop. The 1991 original is enjoyably amateurish, then somebody had the bright idea of making Samurai Cop 2: Deadly Vengeance in 2015 based on the first movie's notoriety. I tried watching the sequel and I barely got halfway through. Now there's a newer one called Revenge of the Samurai Cop and I doubt I'll bother with it since it's probably just as self-aware as part 2.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:53 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Huh I had heard about Z Nation. The name always kept me from trying it. Maybe I will.

Z Nation doesn't deny what it is, and it can be a lot of fun. While Walking Dead clings to terrible decisions, mumbling, lazy deaths, more confusing and terrible decisions, and more mumbling in order to maintain the gradually worsening storyline and action, Z Nation dives headlong into every possible zombie trope and simply plays with them. It's actually kind of refreshing.

Characters actually talk, instead of murmur. The story moves fast instead of a crawl. It has radioactive zombies, super zombies, pot-zombies, and all kinds of things. They get the cannibal group of survivors out of the way early and veer off into narrative territory Walking Dead will never see. They also call the zombies, get this, zombies. You know, like all people would in the event of an actual zombie apocalypse. Instead of some people calling them walkers or others calling them shamblers or biters or Trumps or whatever.

Instead of wandering around Georgia for 7 years, somehow encountering bigger and bigger groups of hidden, highly organized enemies, Z Nation runs nation-wide, and dips into Mexico eventually. The Minneapolis episode hilariously forgets that, yes, Minneapolis is an actual city (it takes place on a zombie pot farm), but eh, at least they get around. Z Nation also appears to ignore Walking Dead's "you know who's dying today" trope, where they spend 20 minutes getting to know a character only to kill them at the end, especially if it's a black character.

The show isn't perfect, but it also doesn't take itself too seriously. It's more than happy to throw comedic elements into the show, and the one that parodied the 2016 election was almost too accurate.

There was even an episode where some women kept penned zombies like guard dogs and bedazzled them because, hey, hobbies.

Last edited by Resident_Hazard on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:57 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

A great example of this is Samurai Cop. The 1991 original is enjoyably amateurish, then somebody had the bright idea of making Samurai Cop 2: Deadly Vengeance in 2015 based on the first movie's notoriety. I tried watching the sequel and I barely got halfway through. Now there's a newer one called Revenge of the Samurai Cop and I doubt I'll bother with it since it's probably just as self-aware as part 2.

I'd heard a similar thing about James Nguyen, after he realized that Birdemic found "popularity" for being so bad, it's good, he went to make a sequel deliberately invoking the trope, so it's probably just plain terrible. I watched the original Samurai Cop on Rifftrax, and that film is something else. Knowing this about the sequel, I think it can be easily avoided.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:03 am 

Yeah, Samurai Cop 2 was terrible, and all the Sharknadoes (?) after the first were none too great either (though I must admit I laughed at a scene in one of the more recent entries which was set at a "NATO" conference, just so they could made a "NATO-nado" joke). However, I don't think the Asylum Hollywood ripoff movies are made to be bad, they're just made very quickly and poorly - which makes the badness authentic and entertaining.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:21 am 

I forget who it was, but a former Cracked writer did an article about trying to write for Asylum. The producers legitimately feel like they're making good movies and don't like the wink-wink stuff as much as they'd seem.

darkeningday wrote:

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:33 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
I watched the original Samurai Cop on Rifftrax, and that film is something else.

Samurai Cop 1 is automatically worth watching just for the main character's real hair / obvious wig switcheroo.

Hmm, seems the movie is on Amazon Prime in the US, which I think is where I saw it years ago. Might be time for a re-watch.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:24 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
I forget who it was, but a former Cracked writer did an article about trying to write for Asylum. The producers legitimately feel like they're making good movies and don't like the wink-wink stuff as much as they'd seem.

Was this the article you're referring to?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:25 pm 

Oh, in that tangent about actually-scary horror movies a page ago, I forgot to include Kubrick's The Shining. Fuck me if that's not a creepy-ass movie.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:36 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
acid_bukkake wrote:

Was this the article you're referring to?

Yep.

darkeningday wrote:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:09 pm 

"If they thought we knew too much about what we were doing, they wouldn't want to hire us. Stop and ponder that for a moment.

Good at your job? Fuck you, you're fired."

Boy that line wound up being oddly prescient of Cracked's own demise.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:40 pm 

Damn shame, too. After Hours was one of my favorite video series and now that we're left with college interns and David "I'm so woke I use an Asian surname even though I'm of 100% European heritage" Wong it's...

Tangent aside, John Dies at the End is great.

darkeningday wrote:

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:13 am 

So I watched that new Cloverfield movie and in short, its bullshit.
It's just a generic space movie where they added one minute(if that) of the monster and called it a sequel

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:16 am 

Halloween Pussy Trap Kill! Kill! - We've been talking about schlock, right? This ended up being another of those movies I often complain about: fun title, but not fun to actually sit through. The plot was basically a Saw knockoff with less elaborate challenges. In order to teach them a lesson, a mastermind (voiced by Dave Mustaine for some reason) traps a mostly female rock band and their manager in a basement, forcing them to play deadly games. Not scary, not funny, not enjoyably bad in a Samurai Cop way, just boring.

Even worse, the writer / director (or someone claiming to have exactly the same name) gave his own movie a 5 star Amazon review. :nono:

[edit] That's too bad about Cloverfield 3. I'll probably still check it out, but won't expect much.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:54 am 

I actually enjoyed The Cloverfield Paradox. Sure, it wasn't mindblowing, but it was decent enough. There really needs to be a sequel, though.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:48 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Damn shame, too. After Hours was one of my favorite video series and now that we're left with college interns and David "I'm so woke I use an Asian surname even though I'm of 100% European heritage" Wong it's...

Tangent aside, John Dies at the End is great.

I like David Wong, he's a great writer. I still see articles pop up from their old stalwarts every now and then, John Cheese, Mike Evans, Seanbaby, etc.

Seanbaby was one of my favorite writers back in the day when he worked at EGM. Remember that? It was a magazine 20 years ago. About video games.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:15 am 

Watched "Bigfoot: The Movie" - it was nice to see a low-budget movie succeed in being funny. Piles of redneck humor, a pretty impressive Bigfoot suit, and some quality bar fights.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:16 am 

edit

Last edited by StryckenFromHistory on Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:23 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Z Nation doesn't deny what it is, and it can be a lot of fun. While Walking Dead clings to terrible decisions, mumbling, lazy deaths, more confusing and terrible decisions, and more mumbling in order to maintain the gradually worsening storyline and action, Z Nation dives headlong into every possible zombie trope and simply plays with them. It's actually kind of refreshing.

Characters actually talk, instead of murmur. The story moves fast instead of a crawl. It has radioactive zombies, super zombies, pot-zombies, and all kinds of things. They get the cannibal group of survivors out of the way early and veer off into narrative territory Walking Dead will never see. They also call the zombies, get this, zombies. You know, like all people would in the event of an actual zombie apocalypse. Instead of some people calling them walkers or others calling them shamblers or biters or Trumps or whatever.

Instead of wandering around Georgia for 7 years, somehow encountering bigger and bigger groups of hidden, highly organized enemies, Z Nation runs nation-wide, and dips into Mexico eventually. The Minneapolis episode hilariously forgets that, yes, Minneapolis is an actual city (it takes place on a zombie pot farm), but eh, at least they get around. Z Nation also appears to ignore Walking Dead's "you know who's dying today" trope, where they spend 20 minutes getting to know a character only to kill them at the end, especially if it's a black character.

The show isn't perfect, but it also doesn't take itself too seriously. It's more than happy to throw comedic elements into the show, and the one that parodied the 2016 election was almost too accurate.

There was even an episode where some women kept penned zombies like guard dogs and bedazzled them because, hey, hobbies.

The "not taking itself too seriously" part is what would turn me off, unless it's seriously smart, funny stuff like Shaun of the Dead - not dumb slapstick or any lazy parody though. But maybe I'll try it. I like TWD fine though.

Quote:
Fuck the last eight years of non-gore, and fuck The Void!

What's wrong with The Void? Great horror movie.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:16 pm 

And a gory one, at that.

darkeningday wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 693, 694, 695, 696, 697, 698, 699 ... 818  Next