Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:02 am 

Still not sure how I feel about the remake, the original has such an unique style and from the looks of things they're not actually trying to capture that at all. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, at least they seem to be trying to make it its own movie. On the bright side, at least the tree rape scene and spirit cam seem to be in there.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:06 am 

Volute and Failsafe, I should clarify - I just meant dated in that it seems so different than when I first watched it, as if from a different era (which it is, of course). for example, I loved Thundercats as a kid, so I downloaded them all, besides the Mongor ep I struggled to sit through most of them (and no, I did not watch them all). Perhaps my use of the term 'dated' was misplaced.

Also, I tried watching The Cabin In The Woods last night, and failed. What a pile of crap. If this is what modern horror satire with an edge is, I want nothing to do with it. Very poorly executed up until I gave up on the thing. I'm starting to think I'm too old for these types of movies, or that they're too American for me and I can't relate to that type of humor. There was one good part that went something like:

"I was in the war."
"Which one?"
"You know which fucking war!"

That part reminded me of, well, me when teaching kids.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:08 am 

Evil Dead remake is unnescessary, like most remakes. Not sure if this was mentioned here already, but wasn't Evil Dead II a remake of the first one in any case?

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:16 am 

waiguoren wrote:
Evil Dead remake is unnescessary, like most remakes. Not sure if this was mentioned here already, but wasn't Evil Dead II a remake of the first one in any case?

Depends how you look at it, I guess. It was essentially the same plot, but I figured it was just meant to add the intended campiness. I wasn't so sure about a remake, but I must admit that the trailer has me intrigued, and Bruce Campbell is behind it, so I'm gonna give it a chance for sure.

THIS... IS MY BOOMSTICK!

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:28 am 

It's written by Diablo Cody....

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:06 pm 

I haven't been around much to keep up, but Frog, please tell me you're fucking joking.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:21 pm 

No Sir! :lol:

I'm actually not nearly as upset as I ought to be, because the kitschy dialogue could work. I mean, Sam and Bruce are still both involved....so maybe it's not that bad.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:44 pm 

The remake is supposed to be what the original was supposed to be. A straight up horror gore flick. IIRC, the original ended up becoming a campy film and the next two films went in a horror comedy direction.

Ash isn't even in the remake, so I doubt there will be sequels involving shotgun+chainsaw action. I heard rumors that a female character will take his role though.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:54 pm 

Seeing as it's going to have really hot chicks dying brutally and it's still an Evil Dead movie, I'll be seeing it :-D

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:24 pm 

I'd be more surprised if it sucked than if it was awesome, since it seems pretty difficult to fuck up. I'm not going to get too excited, but seeing as Evil Dead is one of my favourites series, I am looking forward to checking it out. I really hope Bruce Campbell makes some sort of cameo :lol:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:44 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
The remake is supposed to be what the original was supposed to be. A straight up horror gore flick. IIRC, the original ended up becoming a campy film and the next two films went in a horror comedy direction.

The original was campy, yes, but it was also visceral and batshit nuts unhinged, and ended up becoming one of the scariest films of all time because of its lack of restraint. I'll be surprised if the new one can keep that up.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:08 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Adriankat wrote:

The original was campy, yes, but it was also visceral and batshit nuts unhinged, and ended up becoming one of the scariest films of all time because of its lack of restraint. I'll be surprised if the new one can keep that up.

This. The original was meant to be genuinely horrifying but ended up having a darkly comedic quality in the end which is what elevated it to cult status in a lot of ways and surely is what inspired the direction of the following 2 films.

I must admit that my knee jerk reaction to being pissed about it (like every other horror remake) has subsided somewhat. This will probably be the first remake I've seen since the TCM one and the first where I'm genuinely interested to see what they do with it. They just better keep the CGI to a minimum and focus on keeping the ominous atmosphere that permeated the first film. The original is a fantastic testament to the fact that you don't need big money and computers to make a good horror film, a lesson the current hollywood garrison could stand to learn.

They just better not fuck it up.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:30 pm 

I keep hearing about these so called 'bloodsplatter' type horror films that seem to be popular among people into metal. Can someone recommend a low budget good-bad bloody horror film or two I can watch on halloween?

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:22 pm 

Dead Alive, Ghoul School, Maniac, Rabid Grannies, The Suckling(a.ka. Sewage Baby), Pretty much anything by Herschell Gordon Lewis, Ogroff: Mad Mutilator, Pieces, Microwave Massacre, The Abomination. I wish I could name more, but I've watched so many horror movies that my memory is kind of vague...

The Story of Ricky is worth watching too. Not a horror movie, but it's extremely gory and one of the best good-bad movies you'll ever see. Watch the dubbed version if you can. The horrible acting adds to the hilarity.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:46 pm 

The director of the Story of Ricky made an excellent crime film, Men from the Gutter, by the way.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:57 am 

VoidApostle wrote:
Dead Alive, Ghoul School, Maniac, Rabid Grannies, The Suckling(a.ka. Sewage Baby), Pretty much anything by Herschell Gordon Lewis, Ogroff: Mad Mutilator, Pieces, Microwave Massacre, The Abomination. I wish I could name more, but I've watched so many horror movies that my memory is kind of vague...

The Story of Ricky is worth watching too. Not a horror movie, but it's extremely gory and one of the best good-bad movies you'll ever see. Watch the dubbed version if you can. The horrible acting adds to the hilarity.

Cool, i'll check those out. I think the only true good-bad horror movies I have seen are easter bunny kill kill, evil dead 1,2, & 3; and the blob. All of those were good, but they weren't really blood and guts oriented. The only other horror movies I've seen aren't really blood and guts type horror movies. Just the all time classics like scream, nightmare on elm street, friday the 13th, hellraiser, it, the shining, creature from the black lagoon etc. You know, stuff every self respecting person should know. I was reading an interview of the band gorement where "splatter and gore films" were mentioned. I'm not sure if that's a genre on it's own but i'd be interested in it if it was.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:49 am 

The Shrine - 3/5

Not exactly great. I want to like this for the excellent setting, atmospheric coolness and the excellent gore, but it's just not a great film due to the fact that it is...well, stupid as hell. I didn't like the characters and the decisions they made were hamfisted and clearly just stretched to serve the plot. As a journalist myself, I can't really sympathize with the main character when she gets outraged by not being allowed to travel to a foreign country just to pursue a rather flimsy story - sorry, people randomly going missing in Europe isn't exactly newsworthy for a US newspaper when there are more pressing things. And I just couldn't believe how callous and uncaring she was about everything - the reaction just wasn't believable. Overall I did enjoy the suspense and the atmosphere this built up, but it's not great because I didn't care if the characters lived or died. Mostly just a curiosity.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:39 am 

Any recommendations on Premium Rush? I'm contemplating watching that since Looper is sold out.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:28 am 

Anybody know if Rubber (2011) is any good? It seems pretty absurd.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:34 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Anybody know if Rubber (2011) is any good?

Short answer: No.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:26 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Anybody know if Rubber (2011) is any good? It seems pretty absurd.

I recorded it when it was on that hdnet or whatever its called and skipped through 3/4's of it. There were a couple of cool kills, but it's not worth watching for it.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:09 am 

Watched a few good films recently:

Kill List: This is brutal. Watch this. Seriously. Kinda like "the wickerman" (the non-Bees version) crossed with "A Serbian film".

The whisperer in Darkness: essential for HPL fans. I was not expecting much, but it was really well done.

Bride of Frankenstien: not much explanation needed here. Best part was when my GF had dozed off with her head on my chest to be woken up by me shouting "ITS ALIVE!" along with Dr Pretorius.

Last days here: "Have you been smoking crack? Bobby, you sound like you've been smoking crack".

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:39 am 

I heard talk about re-showing Pulp Fiction and Reservoir dogs in movie theatres sometimes in December to celebrate 20 years of Tarantino films or something like that... I may have to go see those. I have a strong feeling everyone in the theatres are gonna be quoting like half those movies though.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:38 am 

Troll. Not a good movie, but I liked it, because I'm a sucker for 80s fantasy movies. Also noteworthy in that it stars a (still) young Noah Hathaway, two years after he appeared in The Neverending Story. He's taller here, and not as cool, but to make up for it, you've got a young, hot Julia Louis-Dreyfus running around as a scantily-clad-in-leaves nymph or something, and a younger sister who's actually a troll, who has a soft spot for dwarfs (the human kind). A pretty silly movie, as you can probably tell, but worth watching if you like this sort of thing. I'm sure everyone's already aware of the infamous 'sequel' Troll 2, which has a perfect 0% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. These two movies have very little to do with one another, but you should see 'em both for different reasons. Be sure to have plenty of beer ready to hand either way.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:51 pm 

I'm currently doing a three-part review of Troll 2 and its documentary, Best Worst Movie, for my blog. I had never seen Troll 2 before and it was just nuts...I mean I seriously didn't know what I was getting myself into. One of the most entertaining terrible movies ever for sure...just so goofy and full of laughs that it's impossible not to enjoy yourself when with friends ripping on it. A beautiful disaster of a movie.

Grave Encounters - 4/5

On the one hand this is incredibly retarded, but on the other, I admire its devotion to balls-out, throat-ripping, pants-wetting horror, and it has a lot more going on than any Paranormal Activity movie, for whatever that's worth. This is a found footage horror movie that shoots itself in the foot in the first five minutes - literally, the guy at the beginning is like "there has been no editing to this; it is all real," and then five minutes later you get superimposed newspaper articles and video-clips telling the story of the haunted asylum the characters are going into, that obviously would have had to be edited in. Uh, hello? Were you even trying? The characters are all silly and kind of annoying at first, but once the ball gets rolling about 40 minutes in, you actually do want them to escape - they're shallow and money-hunting, but they become at least a little likable. And the scares are seriously good. This is basically the equivalent of a really grisly, mind-bending haunted house attraction. The mark of a good horror film is how far it takes its themes and how much it pushes its characters to the limits, and for that Grave Encounters is legit.

The Innkeepers - 2/5

This is a brilliant romantic comedy film, but a poor horror film. For character development and acting, I would give this a much higher score, but I think this was really trying its hand at being a horror film, which it fails at. Director Ti West gave us the brilliant House of the Devil a few years ago, but sadly this is just too haphazardly constructed and directionless to really work...I guess it's trying its hand at being an avant garde/satirical sort of thing that plays with your expectations, as at first it's legitimately a comedic light hearted film centering around two charming and quirky characters in a hotel. But the horror elements, involving a ghostly mistress haunting the halls, are not well done at all, feeling forced in, lazily written and overall pretty weakly done. At the end of the movie I was just scratching my head, because it didn't really make any sense. I'm all for ambiguity and for trying some new things, but you have to try harder than this.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:26 pm 

This is a warning to all movie fans: DON'T GO SEE SILENT HILL REVELATION. That movie is a giant turd. The dialogue alone almost compelled me to walk out in the first twenty minutes. It's cringe worthy, insulting to anyone's intelligence. Why I stayed all the way through, I'm not sure. Maybe I'm just a huge fan and couldn't believe the utter tripe that was unfolding before my eyes. Terrible writing, terrible acting, terrible pacing, complete disregard for the source material, plot points are haphazardly introduced only to be ignored, puzzling creative decisions, and a random monster fight scene because why the hell not? It's like everyone involved didn't give half a fuck.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:38 pm 

^ That's somewhat disappointing since the first one was better than I thought it would be. I still wasn't expecting much from this one, but I do love to watch a good Sean Bean movie whenever I can.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:41 pm 

The first one was a hundred times better. Sean Bean does almost nothing in this movie. He shows up, says a few really wooden lines (it's really an almost cringe inducing performance from him. I blame the script, I guess). Then shows up again for 5 seconds at the end. Uwe Bole could have made a better movie.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:24 am 

Someone mentioned Beasts of the Southern Wild a while back, just got back from it and what an excellent little film it is. Just full of warmth and life with none of the pretentiousness you would normally come to expect from an independent film. Parts of it actually reminded me of One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest thematically but encompassing a broader, almost mystical vision. Highly recommended (unless you live in New York and are sick of seeing floods).

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:43 am 

Any of my homeboys seen Atlas Shrugged II? They jettisoned the entire cast and crew from the first. It looks on par with Titanic 2. Dunno where or who is even screening it; prolly Cato Institute on wheels, Oscar Meyer style.

Dunno how I missed these film credits:
Sean Hannity as himself
Juan Williams as himself
Bob Beckel as himself
Tamara Holder as herself

:lol: Bunch of fucking goose stepping mind manipulators.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:32 pm 

I just started watching The White Buffalo again since I haven't seen it in years.

Charles Bronson is a badass and you know it.

WebOfPiss wrote:
Any of my homeboys seen Atlas Shrugged II? They jettisoned the entire cast and crew from the first. It looks on par with Titanic 2. Dunno where or who is even screening it; prolly Cato Institute on wheels, Oscar Meyer style.

I saw the first one... Yeah. I'm not wasting my time with the second :lol:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:49 pm 

There is no one more krieg than Ayn Rand.

Anyways, saw Last Days Here yesterday (Canadian Netflix sucks but it's pretty good when it comes to documentaries.)

It was an interesting portrayal of Bobby Liebling and his addictions, some scenes being very depressing (like when he's really high and talking about how he's convinced he's infected with parasites).
I wish there had been more footage of the reformed Pentagram though, it was kind of light on resolution.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:00 pm 

I love the original Evil Dead. I think 2 is a bit overrated though.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:03 pm 

Also, Stick (1985) is just such a favorite of mine. Great drug/crime story. I'm indifferent to Reynolds in all honesty but hes good in this, as are the over the top bad guy-drug dealers. Plus it has that cheesy Miami Vice 80s atmosphere where dudes get away wearing pink members only jackets yet still get laid.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:01 pm 

Fun little fact, today's Godzilla's 58th birthday. It was November 3rd, 1954 that the orriginal Gojira was unleashed in Japan and would start a franchise with 29 films (I'm being nice and counting the remake) with elements of horror, scifi, action, fantasy, comedy and drama.

This just means something to me cause it was my first and to date biggest fandom, even more then Metal.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:11 pm 

WebOfPiss wrote:

Dunno how I missed these film credits:
Sean Hannity as himself
Juan Williams as himself
Bob Beckel as himself
Tamara Holder as herself

:lol: Bunch of fucking goose stepping mind manipulators.

AHHH. I saw the first half...totally hamfisted and awful acting. Didn't even know they made a second one. You know, it has a neat idea and the setting and time period are interesting enough...but they fucked it up and not to mention the awful philosophy behind it.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:15 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
AHHH. I saw the first half...totally hamfisted and awful acting. Didn't even know they made a second one. You know, it has a neat idea and the setting and time period are interesting enough...but they fucked it up and not to mention the awful philosophy behind it.

And the sex scenes where you don't even get to see anything that are like, every twenty minutes throughout the movie.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:35 pm 

Here you go, fellas - Metal Maniac! With a soundtrack featuring Manilla Road, Nasty Savage, Deceased and more! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYLKrDyqZfo

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:32 am 

Aurone wrote:
Fun little fact, today's Godzilla's 58th birthday. It was November 3rd, 1954 that the orriginal Gojira was unleashed in Japan and would start a franchise with 29 films (I'm being nice and counting the remake) with elements of horror, scifi, action, fantasy, comedy and drama.

This just means something to me cause it was my first and to date biggest fandom, even more then Metal.

Damn, didn't know that! I LOVE Godzilla. Maybe I'll just pretend like today's his anniversary instead, and queue up some of the big guy's flicks. \m/

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:28 pm 

Unfortunately I don't have time between the Bears game and work to watch any, but my brother has like 10 Godzilla films across DVD and VHS, we should celebrate tomorrow.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366 ... 818  Next