Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:28 pm 

DeadPool 2 is a fantastic movie. Domino and Cable were well-played and meshed well with the characters (even though Cable's thing is being "super serious"). The villain caught me off guard (no spoilers), but I enjoyed the ridiculous true-to-comics interpretation of them. The action is great, it's ultraviolent, hilarious and progressive in a lot of key ways. Looking forward to what's next.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:49 am 

Agreed. Also loved all the references although you have to know a bit about DC's Universe. And yeah, it's way more gore than in the first movie... but that's great!

Tunes of Steel - Reviews and writing stuff website. Latest: Paradox - Pangea
Metalhertz, French Youtube radio channel

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:02 pm 

I saw Solo yesterday, better than I expected it to be. I'd give it a 7/10 actually. I guess I liked it a decent amount. It definitely had a couple flaws, but I was engaged throughout regardless.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:33 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
I saw Solo yesterday, better than I expected it to be. I'd give it a 7/10 actually. I guess I liked it a decent amount. It definitely had a couple flaws, but I was engaged throughout regardless.

For me it pulled a convincing 8/10. Fun film with no brain melting idiotics of TLJ. Maybe 7/10 is closer to the actual quality of film but I was so positively surprised that I bumped it up.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:16 am 

The Shape of Water was Del Toro's masterpiece, unquestionably the greatest film of his career. 4/10

That this painfully mediocre, tediously paced art-film-for-people-who-can't-sit-through-art-films-because-they're-like-boring-dude would win out over such classics as I, Tonya and Three Billboards is insulting, and I don't even care about the Oscars. He finally made an okay movie instead a fucking awful one and he gets showered in acclaim? What is he, the prodigal son? Del Toro should stick to making giant cockroach movies, they're technically worse but at least they're not pretentious and he won't abuse the talents of great actors like Sally Hawkins and Richard Jenkins by boxing them into cliche archetypes.

I'm so mad right now I could punch a fish.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:35 am 

darkeningday wrote:
The Shape of Water was Del Toro's masterpiece, unquestionably the greatest film of his career. 4/10

That this painfully mediocre, tediously paced art-film-for-people-who-can't-sit-through-art-films-because-they're-like-boring-dude would win out over such classics as I, Tonya and Three Billboards is insulting, and I don't even care about the Oscars. He finally made an okay movie instead a fucking awful one and he gets showered in acclaim? What is he, the prodigal son? Del Toro should stick to making giant cockroach movies, they're technically worse but at least they're not pretentious and he won't abuse the talents of great actors like Sally Hawkins and Richard Jenkins by boxing them into cliche archetypes.

I'm so mad right now I could punch a fish.

I dunno, Pan's Labyrinth was pretty good. And terrifying. As was The Devil's Backbone.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:04 am 

I hated both. Glacially paced, tedious movies with absolutely nothing new or even interesting to say, topped off with terrible dialog, zero dimensional characters and pretentious, self-indulgent cinematography that lingered on every shot like each one was a Rembrandt or something.

Shape of Water was basically that but tightened up a bit and with mercilously less dialog. Of course, he still manages to crowbar in some absolutely seizure-inducing analogies to biblical and greek mythology. "Hey kids, I'll bet you've never heard the tales of Samson and Delilah or Tantalus, right? Let's recount them like we're reading the Wikipedia page and then explain in painstaking detail exactly how they're relevant to the scene because you're too stupid to recognize how BRILLIANT my writing is!"

Still, I thought it was okay. At least he's getting better.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:23 am 

"Oh come on, del Toro doesn't make flat out bad movies." At least, that's what I was about to say before I was reminded his previous one was Crimson Peak. I was surprised how much I disliked that.

Pacific Rim was more fun than the recent Godzilla, though.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:01 am 

Deathdoom1992 wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

I recall reviews referring to House of a Thousand Corpses as a "music video stretched to feature film length," which is pretty much 100% accurate. That does not a good movie make. That movie doesn't need to be seen more than once for most people. For the rest, zero times will suffice.

Yeah, I loved Devil's Rejects but House of 1000 Corpses just sucked. I mean the nightmarish visuals in the Firefly house were actually pretty cool, but everything else wasn't really there I'm afraid.

Hot take here, but House of 1000 Corpses is the only Rob Zombie movie I've ever really liked (though admittedly I haven't seen The Devil's Rejects in like a decade but I remember nothing about it except one of the first lines of dialogue is "Shit! Fuck! SHIT! FUCK!!" so it must not have left much of an impact on me).

The "music video" complaint is something I read about too but honestly I think it's just an easy crutch to fall back on simply because it was his first movie. When it came out he was just a rockstar, so that's the most logical thing I think most people can think of when it comes to criticizing some of the weirder aspects of the movie. Most of the general "movie" aspects of it aren't good, absolutely not. The plot is stupid and the characters are all dumb cliches on the part of the victims/cops and the bad guys are all just kinda weird for the sake of it, the dialogue sucks, things happen for no reason, it's hard to follow what little is there, those are all totally valid things and I get why people hate the movie.

That said, all of those things are actually kinda the reason I like it. When I first saw it, I walked away thinking that it wasn't really supposed to be looked at like a regular movie. To me, it felt more like it was trying to simulate what it's like to have a really bad nightmare than it was trying to convey any real narrative. All those wonky non-sequitur jump cuts to gruesome depravity in the middle of talking scenes for basically no reason felt like an overactive brain just freaking out and processing shit way too quickly and too overboard and spinning out of control. He was obviously trying to conjure up The Texas Chainsaw Massacre with that dinner scene and it's nowhere near as effective, but coupling that with the tense and awkward scene in the living room beforehand and the bizarre freakshow afterwards just ends up amounting to like twenty solid minutes of WTFery that leaves you disoriented and confused and you end up feeling just as weirded out and disgusted as the characters do because you just want something, anything to make sense again. Then when they all get captured and start getting tortured/murdered it descends even further into this terrible nightmare that you just really can't keep under control. It's not about building up tense scares, it's about total anarchy and never knowing what the fuck is going to happen next because the world you/they now exist in follows precisely zero rules of reality and every other inhabitant is a deranged, murderous freak. It's one of the few times where I think completely throwing reality out the window works because you're not really supposed to feel for any of the victims, you're supposed to have absolutely no say in it while crazy shit happens to them and the entire universe flies off the rails. I just kept waiting for me to jolt up in my bed and realize it was all a fucked up dream all along, because that's really what it feels like.

It's not a great film really and I realize that you can dismiss my argument pretty easily by pointing out that I'm sort of just changing the rules/criteria of what makes a film good in the first place and moving the goalposts further and further until I like it because I was determined to do so or something, but trust me when I say that I didn't see this until after I'd seen a few of his other movies and I fully expected to hate the shit out of it simply because I think Rob Zombie is a terrible filmmaker. When he tries to make a "respectable" movie in some fashion, he fails at a 100% clip. But for his very first one, when he just made this weird, experimental gag reel of violent and degenerate trash, it's a lot of fun.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:24 am 

I haven't seen House of 1000 Corpses in a few years, but yeah I can agree with BH on that. It's raw and not too great but it's got merit in how unabashedly bizarre and freakish it is. It felt genuine.

Devil's Rejects was better just because it was a more interesting story. Very gratuitous and gory, but it was a cool dark Western type of horror movie and you actually enjoyed the characters for all their depravity. It's fun and original.

Everything else he did after - well, I haven't seen 13 yet - has been just terrible. I guess that weird witch movie wasn't as bad as the Halloween remakes, but that isn't saying a lot.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:03 pm 

BastardHead, check out The Toolbox Murders (2004). It's from Tobe Hooper and is fucking nuts. It does the Corpses thing where the final 1/3 just throws reality and expectation out the window for nightmarish insanity. It's over the top. The buildup is good too. Perfectly shitty acting, hilarious characters, everything screams 2004!, and a really cool setting.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:01 pm 

I don't think he's a terrible filmmaker on the grounds that he has made good movies (DR and the Halloween remake that I've always liked), although there is unquestionably some utter shit in his filmography, with the problem with House... being that the atmosphere and visuals were great, and I agree with BH on the front that it's a surreal nightmare, but for me that only made it even harder to follow what little actual substance there was.

If anything Devil's Rejects works better on account of the fact that the general plot of the film doesn't call for any real substance. "Psycho family goes on psycho road trip with equally psycho cop on the trail." Plus the ending is weirdly fitting and even almost poignant. Also plus, there's that scene where Otis beats the guy in the desert and he's like, "I am the devil, and I'm here to do the devil's work," and that shit is tense, man.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:38 pm 

Devil's Rejects just has enough humor and actual wit that it brings all the barbarism and savagery to an actual point where it's entertaining. It shouldn't work so well, but it was a lightning in a bottle thing for RZ where he just nailed it for once.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:04 pm 

I'll still go to bat for Lords of Salem and the final act of 31. Both feature some excellent visuals and a good mount of tension at their best, dragged down by RZ's lousy writing.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:22 pm 

Devil's Rejects is a personal classic. It's all about how you end up loving and siding with a cannibal-murderer family. Because god damn it they're STILL cooler than the cops.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:06 pm 

I just can't bring myself to like Devil's Rejects. It's got that cool, gritty western-US aesthetic, but I hate all of those characters. If they all died, I wouldn't be the least bit sad.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:33 pm 

Spoiler: show
You're in luck then!

darkeningday wrote:

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
You're in luck then!

That's the joke. :V

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:39 pm 

...oh...very well then...

Seriously. This is incredible. Makes the movie so much more than it should be.

darkeningday wrote:

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:00 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I haven't seen House of 1000 Corpses in a few years, but yeah I can agree with BH on that. It's raw and not too great but it's got merit in how unabashedly bizarre and freakish it is. It felt genuine.

I recall, for the most part, that I expected House of a Thousand Corpses to be some grand super-extreme horror movie. Darker, grislier, than anything else--really pushing boundaries. At the time, I expected the movie to be extreme in a way Hollywood horror movies tend to shy away from. Basically, I expected it to be graphically more intense than anything else.

Instead, I walked away thinking it was just weird to be weird, flashy to be flashy, and that it didn't go far enough. Weird but not graphic, flashy but not extreme. Indeed, my personal hype (at the time) may have dampened how the film ultimately paid off to me. As hype does. You could say it was the jaded horror fan in me at the time. GIMME SOMETHING EXTREME ha ha

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:38 pm 

Watched recently:

Black Death (7,5) - Decent medieval themed horror movie, with some nice twists
Ip Man (10) - I can't get tired of this movie, easily one of the best kung fu movies ever
Death Proof (6) - Had potential, but Tarantino forgot that no grindhouse B-movie with the possible exception of Possession had length of almost two hours. Everthing Kurt Russel is in is automatically good, so he can save the movie of Tarantino's obssesion with endless dialogues that try too hard to sound hip and cool

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:17 pm 

edit

Last edited by StryckenFromHistory on Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:15 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I recall, for the most part, that I expected House of a Thousand Corpses to be some grand super-extreme horror movie. Darker, grislier, than anything else--really pushing boundaries. At the time, I expected the movie to be extreme in a way Hollywood horror movies tend to shy away from. Basically, I expected it to be graphically more intense than anything else.

Instead, I walked away thinking it was just weird to be weird, flashy to be flashy, and that it didn't go far enough. Weird but not graphic, flashy but not extreme. Indeed, my personal hype (at the time) may have dampened how the film ultimately paid off to me. As hype does. You could say it was the jaded horror fan in me at the time. GIMME SOMETHING EXTREME ha ha

It wasn't the most extreme or anything, but it just had this total devotion to being weird and freakshow-like, and it created a nightmareish feel. Can't touch the original TCM but it was a unique little thing in its own way.

Deadpool 2 was pretty weak. Liked a few parts and there were some laughs, but it was baggy and inconsistent and most of the times it tried to be emotional just came off contrived and poorly written. Some of the silly meta humor just came off as lazy... "Well, that's just bad writing." Then why write it all then? Just cringeworthy at times. But Ryan Reynolds is genuinely funny and Zazie Beetz as Domino was fun.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:33 pm 

The Corpse of Anna Fritz (El cadáver de Anna Fritz) - Yup, it really is a necrophilia themed thriller. There was little chance I was going to love this movie, but it was about as good as it could have been given the repulsive subject matter and the fact it seemed like a 20 - 30 minute short film padded out to around 75 minutes. Watch it if you're curious, I guess? And if you either understand Spanish or don't mind subtitles.

Other reviews of this compare it to a 2008 movie called Deadgirl, which I haven't seen but which was discussed about 5 years ago in this thread, with most people saying it was terrible. The Autopsy of Jane Doe is another one that gets brought up, but besides similar titles and starting points the two movies go in totally different directions.

[edit]

A Horrible Way to Die - Easily my least favorite of the 5 Adam Wingard movies I've seen. Dull, dreary, with little to no suspense and no appealing characters. Some of the most annoying shaky and out of focus camerawork in recent memory, too. There's a scene in the final third that seriously seems like the filmmakers are goofing around and parodying action flick shakycam, but it's done during what should be an emotional dialogue moment. Things pick up slightly at the very end, but by then it's way too late to care. 3 / 10

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:52 pm 

Hey, Solo was actually a bit better than I thought it would be. Nothing great, but I liked it more than The Last Jedi and Rogue One at least (okay, so the bar wasn't exactly high). It didn't really have any of that cringey Marvel movie humor that made Last Jedi unbearable, and it also didn't have nearly as much pointless fan service as I thought it would. It never really justified its own existence, but if you just look at it as fan fiction, it isn't actually that bad.

There were definitely some stupid things going on, though:

- The way Han and Chewie met was dumb and ridiculous, and not even in a lighthearted goofy way. Come on, what the hell? That isn't in my personal Star Wars canon.

- The Lovecraftian space demon during the Kessel Run sequence was like a bad moment from the prequels.

- Lando's comic relief sidekick droid was sooooo fucking bad. Honestly Jar Jar Binks levels of annoying and unfunny. The weird four-armed monkey alien was also irritating but at least he died off in like 10 seconds.

But hey, the cast/acting was pretty solid, the pacing way less boring than Rogue One, the humor toned down and less cringey than TLJ. I was expecting this movie to be the pits, but I have to give it a pass.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:35 am 

I thought R1 was the best since Empire and TLJ had some redeeming qualities even if it was basically Subverting Tropes: The Movie with laser swo---excuse me, lightsabers. I also thought the idea of a solo Solo film dumb so I won't bother, especially as the consensus seems to be "well it sucks less so it's pretty okay." I'm more interested in the fact that it's "tanking" at the box office, if you can call roughly a half-billion dollars "tanking."

Does anyone else wish Infinity War was actually the last Marvel movie? That would take some balls to end it that way.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:20 am 

Deadpool 2 was fucking awesome. The entire bit with the X-Force was laugh-a-minute stuff.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:51 pm 

Infinity War was a lot of fun, and there's no way it ends there. Agree that it would be stunning if it did though. After everything, they just... lose.

I thought it was pretty obvious that Dr. Strange cast Thanos into the Mirror Dimension during their big fight. Everyone I saw it with disagrees though.

Deadpool 2 was awesome. I hated, HATED, X-Force in the comics, and it bugs me that a talentless hack like Rob Liefeld is getting any kudos for this at all. Movie was good though. Didn't rehash the humor, moderately interesting plot, and lots of action. What's not to like?

I expected Solo to be hateful and awful. It was not. It was, for the most part, pretty fun. And about 100 times better than the abysmal The Last Jedi. It's main drawback is that it answered questions that nobody asked. The main one being "I wonder what Han Solo was like before the original movie?"

Also, the little four armed guy and Lando's droid were cringeworthy in the extreme.

I was glad when they died. The stupid droid should have died sooner. It is kind of funny though to realize that this whole time, the Millennium Falcon has had a basically crazy droid brain hooked up to it. No wonder nothing works right.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:33 pm 

Upgrade is what happens when somebody takes a Black Mirror episode and remembers to make it interesting. It's far from perfect, but if you have a love for Paul Verhoeven's sci-fi classics and late 80s-to-mid 90s cyberpunk cinema? You'll enjoy it. 6.5/10

darkeningday wrote:

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:16 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Upgrade is what happens when somebody takes a Black Mirror episode and remembers to make it interesting. It's far from perfect, but if you have a love for Paul Verhoeven's sci-fi classics and late 80s-to-mid 90s cyberpunk cinema? You'll enjoy it. 6.5/10

I really wanna see this movie. I didn't realize it had come out.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:32 pm 

There's a lot to love about it, too. The world created feels lived in without being too overt, Logan Marshall Green delivers an incredible performance, and the actual direction of the movie - particularly its use of stabilizing effects, both digital and practical - is great. Where it falters is in a few key performances and overall characterization beyond the main protagonist.

Also, if you love it when a movie's rated R and revels in it, the few choice moments of (practical) gore are incredible.

darkeningday wrote:

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:38 pm 

I Saw the Devil - The Korean movie I've been meaning to see off and on for a few years now, typically using its 2:22 running time as an excuse not to watch. Surprisingly the length ended up not being an issue for me. Never felt it dragging. The one major problem with this, and it's severe enough I bet it totally ruins the movie for many people, is wondering "Why would the main character do something so stupid?"

I knew what the story was about beforehand, so the bizarre decision making wasn't as shocking as it would have been. If you can go along with it, this is pretty intense and entertaining. 7 / 10, and cautiously optimistic about the American remake.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:04 am 

What are some fucking trashy movies like Timecop, The Crow, or Universal Soldier?

Universal Soldier feels like Terminator 2 starring Jim Varney. Ernest Saves the Human Race

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:35 am 

GTog wrote:
Infinity War was a lot of fun, and there's no way it ends there. Agree that it would be stunning if it did though. After everything, they just... lose.

I thought it was pretty obvious that Dr. Strange cast Thanos into the Mirror Dimension during their big fight. Everyone I saw it with disagrees though.

Didn't Thanos break the mirrors Strange threw at him?

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:30 am 

The Bumblebee movie actually looks like it's going to be a good film. And I'm not just saying that because of this guy:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:34 am 

StryckenFromHistory wrote:
What are some fucking trashy movies like Timecop, The Crow, or Universal Soldier?

Universal Soldier feels like Terminator 2 starring Jim Varney. Ernest Saves the Human Race

You and I have a very different view of what trashy movies are.

darkeningday wrote:

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:19 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
The Bumblebee movie actually looks like it's going to be a good film. And I'm not just saying that because of this guy:

I just watched the Transformers episode of The Toys that Made Us on Netflix and it got me all fired up over Transformers again and I saw some hype for this Bumblebee movie. They fucked Transformers up so much with the these movies that I REALLY hope there's some way to save them.

P.S. Any idea where to buy G1 Metal Transformers toys?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:42 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

I just watched the Transformers episode of The Toys that Made Us on Netflix and it got me all fired up over Transformers again and I saw some hype for this Bumblebee movie. They fucked Transformers up so much with the these movies that I REALLY hope there's some way to save them.

P.S. Any idea where to buy G1 Metal Transformers toys?

Outside of eBay and Amazon, garage sales if you're lucky. Hasbro now has a persistent G1-themed toy line for collectors (along with a movie line, TV show line, and toddler-centric line), and the G1 line in the past few years (Combiner Wars, Titans Return, Power of the Primes) has been pure gold, including gigantic new figures for Devastator, Trypticon, nearly every Combiner, Fortress Maximus, and the upcoming Predaking.

I also just watched the Really That Good episode on the 1986 Transformers movie, which is a great analysis of the film and era. It also noted something I'd never considered before. Of all the "corporate shill, sell toys" movies of the 80's, the Transformers one is about the only one to transcend the cynicism and era to fall into cult film status level. There was so many of those kinds of movies then, and out of that trash heap, this is the one to survive and even thrive in the ensuing years. Fucking great analysis and a perfect compliment to the Toys That Made Us episode.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:19 pm 

I'll check that out later.

Garage sales isn't the answer I was hoping for. Well, looks like that's me fucked. I would like to own an original, non-plastic Optimus Prime, but I don't think I'm willing to put in the work as I am a lazy shit.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:32 pm 

I think I actually have a metal Optimus somewhere, definitely missing a lot of parts though.

darkeningday wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 703, 704, 705, 706, 707, 708, 709 ... 818  Next