Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:58 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Deadgirl: Not-Joaquin Phoenix and Henry from Kablam's wacky misadventures featuring a zombie chick tied to a table and Matthew Lillard from Scream (he seriously uses a few of the most memorable lines from that movie). Basically it was terrible and likely written a misogynistic Nice Guy (aka virginal sociopath who doesn't understand why girls don't like him). Also the 17 year olds all look like they're pushing 30. Fuck this movie with a rake.

I reviewed that back in June or so. Truly terrible...in fact it was so inept, it couldn't even really offend me with how misogynistic and hate-filled it clearly was. Hollow Man pissed me off with its woman-hating message but Deadgirl just came off as silly and incompetent, so laughably bad in every aspect that it truly became a spectacle on par with stuff like The Room or something for bizarro-world wackiness. Terrible fucking movie though, either way.

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:51 am 

Ugh , absolutely. Couldn't stand that thing. A mate loaned it to me, he hasn't had a GF in like 10 years. Probably karma for owning that piece of shit

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:39 am 

Empyreal wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Deadgirl: Not-Joaquin Phoenix and Henry from Kablam's wacky misadventures featuring a zombie chick tied to a table and Matthew Lillard from Scream (he seriously uses a few of the most memorable lines from that movie). Basically it was terrible and likely written a misogynistic Nice Guy (aka virginal sociopath who doesn't understand why girls don't like him). Also the 17 year olds all look like they're pushing 30. Fuck this movie with a rake.

I reviewed that back in June or so. Truly terrible...in fact it was so inept, it couldn't even really offend me with how misogynistic and hate-filled it clearly was. Hollow Man pissed me off with its woman-hating message but Deadgirl just came off as silly and incompetent, so laughably bad in every aspect that it truly became a spectacle on par with stuff like The Room or something for bizarro-world wackiness. Terrible fucking movie though, either way.

It's been a few years since I saw Hollow Man, but
Spoiler: show
doesn't he at least get his comeuppance? I don't remember the ending at all but in Deadgirl it ends on such a terribly mean spirited and misogynistic note that if the movie was trying to make any sort of point it completely blew it. Not that it had anything going for it prior, but still.

I also can't get over the fact that that actually is Henry from Kablam! I watched that show every morning in 2nd/3rd grade, I still recite the Action League Now opening monologue for laughs, this is was my personal equivalent of catching Pee Wee Herman jerking off in a movie theater.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:59 am 

CheekSuck9 wrote:
I hope to go see Paranormal Activity 4 soon. Heard some pretty good reviews so far........

:p

Heres the ending:
http://youtu.be/bI7BbbBfWQI
With a death scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iojGd4ko ... ojGd4komgc

Its really sad how people were screaming at this stupid shit.

With a perfect review:
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/review- ... activity-4

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:07 am 

My theory is that Paramount realized October was 3 months away, didn't have anything planned for the story, and just rushed it out to buy them more time.

EDIT: Also, if Katie was just going to pump-kick the door down and obliterate fucking everything, why didn't she do that on Day 1? The movie would probably be far more interesting if it were a series of different families who happened to catch Katie roflstomping them on video over the course of several months. If the Paranormal Activity series isn't going to even try to build atmosphere anymore, then just throw everything else out.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:44 am 

The Prophecy. Ridiculous. Entertaining, but ridiculous. It's always fun to watch Christopher Walken be himself, and Viggo Mortensen was pretty good too, but the movie didn't amount to much other than that. I didn't think The Omen was that good either though, so maybe I'm just getting tired of this kind of plot. But I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Virginia Madsen. I... love... Virginia Madsen. So hot.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:40 am 

Thiestru wrote:
The Prophecy. Ridiculous. Entertaining, but ridiculous. It's always fun to watch Christopher Walken be himself, and Viggo Mortensen was pretty good too, but the movie didn't amount to much other than that. I didn't think The Omen was that good either though, so maybe I'm just getting tired of this kind of plot. But I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Virginia Madsen. I... love... Virginia Madsen. So hot.

This sounds like something I need to review. I've heard about that movie since I first started watching horror movies in general but never checked it out...

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:33 pm 

Can anyone recommend some films based on, or portraying, H. P. Lovecraft's works? I know plenty exist, but what are the essential ones, the ones which are well-made and worthwhile?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:56 pm 

Definitely In The Mouth Of Madness.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:06 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
worthwhile
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:14 pm 

You really never actually contribute anything, do you?

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:03 pm 

I watched In The Mouth Of Madness again recently, and it's not as good as when it first came out. It just feels dated but it's an okay watch, neither here nor there but it's not cringe-worthy. As for The Prophecy, I remember enjoying that when it first came out, too. It is cheesy though. Thanks for the reminder, should watch it again I think, along with Event Horizon.

As for movies I've watched recently, one I can recommend is Elling from Norway (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0279064/). From start to finish it moves along nicely, and is a great 'feel-good' movie. Despite the main character's annoying voice, he's still a loveable little fellow, and everything just clicks with this film - it's quite funny actually.

And then there is Gangs Of Wasseypur (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1954470/). Don't let that high rating fool you, I went to a midnight screening and after two hours I had to leave. Walking out I noticed that more than half of the people present were sleeping. It's two films, so something like five hours in total for the story, but I'm not too sure what the story is about. Bad action scenes, actors that you want to bop in the nose, random singing, a vague storyline - avoid this one. I think it got a good rating on IMDB because it's Indians pumping it up, same as all the 'views' Gangnam Style on youtube, loads of Koreans sitting at their comps hitting F5 over and over. Best to avoid this stinker.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:05 pm 

Not necessarily. I can now reasonably assume that In the Mouth of Madness is a good movie.

(This post was written in response to Necro, by the way)
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:13 pm 

It is good, with lots of interesting elements. Plus, Sam Neill. While it's far from the best horror movies, it's one of the best Lovecraft inspired ones, which is what Ancient_Sorrow was asking for. Made before John Carpenter started releasing duds.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:02 pm 

I've got In the Mouth of Madness sitting here, and I really want to watch it. I'm just waiting for my roommate to feel like it. =\ Concerning Event Horizon, I'm one of the few people on the planet who really likes that movie. It scared holy hell out of me when I saw it as a super-religious teenager in the theater, and I avoided it for years thereafter. When I finally did watch it again, I thought it was damn fun and enjoyable. I now own it. =] I love the idea of mixing science fiction and horror, since space is such a vast unknown, ripe for lurking terror.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:46 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
I watched In The Mouth Of Madness again recently, and it's not as good as when it first came out. It just feels dated but it's an okay watch, neither here nor there but it's not cringe-worthy. As for The Prophecy, I remember enjoying that when it first came out, too. It is cheesy though. Thanks for the reminder, should watch it again I think, along with Event Horizon.

Event Horizon is actually quite bad. It took a third viewing for it really sink in, but it's mostly stalk and slash with predictable jump scares, which is unfortunate because the start of the film is smart and promising. The characters are killed off before you even care about them and the ending feels rushed due to several scenes being cut from the finished film. There's such a build up to something spectacular, like a literal hell on earth, but it never eventuates and climaxes far too predictably. Sure, the ending is uncompromising and gives a lasting impact but there's ultimately very little depth. However, the visuals do look amazing and the score by Michael Kamen & Orbital is one of my favourites. In The Mouth Of Madness is vastly superior if we had to compare the two. I don't understand how you can view it as dated, is it the book element?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:52 pm 

I think you're spot on about Event Horizon, mate. Those visuals though! I just watched John Carpenter's Vampires and I'm surprised at how much I liked it. Yeah, James Woods played the same character he plays in every movie, but it worked here for some reason. Maybe it was the fact that the take on vampires actually added a bit of fearsomeness back into the mix. It's a rather cliche story, you can predict almost everything, but damn if it didn't have personality.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:39 pm 

Oh and speaking of Carpenter, I re-watched They Live a few days ago. What a fun movie. Memorable lines everywhere, an awesome alley fight scene that seems to last forever, and just a dash of social commentary (that's all it is really, it's not like the movie is all about it's message. It's really only there to set up a badass story.)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:35 pm 

I liked In the Mouth of Madness better when I first saw it than I do now, but it's still a solid flick. Surreal and twisted, bit cartoony, but not in a lighthearted way...it's like a rather dark, otherworldly cartoon than anything.

Taken 2 - 3/5

Pretty much just a sillier, slightly less sharp version of the first one...where the first one was a high energy blast of fun that surprisingly took off in fame, this one is a response to that fame with a more bloated and calculated version of what made its predecessor successful, with a rather campy plot about the relatives of the dead terrorists from that movie coming back for revenge against Liam Neeson's character. Suddenly a lot less visceral when it's a revenge plot as opposed to a more realistic kidnapping and trafficking plot, isn't it? But the movie takes it in stride and delivers a silly, over the top and explosive action movie. It is about exactly what you'd expect. I still had fun in spite of that.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:46 pm 

Event Horizon was great, though I agree about the comments on the rushed ending.
As for In the Mouth of Madness...I thought that was great too. I love Sam Neill (as does everyone) but I don't find him to be that great of an actor. I just think he's an awesome person.

If you want a great faithful adaptation of Lovecraft's work, Dagon is one of my favorites. I realized just how shamelessly Resident Evil 4 ripped that movie off when I watched it.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:41 pm 

In the Mouth of Madness. Suffice it to say that I was heavily medicated when I watched this last night. It seemed to go well with the movie, which I liked. Unfortunately, it also means I can't give you good folks much of a review. =P Sam Neill was terrific in the lead role, performing equally well as a suave wheeler-and-dealer and as a desperate man holding on to the last shreds of his sanity. Very interesting plot too. It handled the whole 'what if a book were real?' thing quite nicely. Lots of hallucinatory sequences in this movie too. Recommended.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:29 am 

Just came back from seeing Seven Psychopaths with a friend and HOLY FUCK! That movie was in a league of awesome that's undescribable without a Tarantino-esque string of expletives. Super original, darkly hilarious, sharp dialogue, and a performance by Sam Rockwell that would be scene stealing if every other actor didn't bring it. What are you still reading this for? Go see it!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:33 am 

Hahahahahahahahahaha

UCB film professor Eileen Jone's take (which almost always mirrors my own): http://exiledonline.com/seven-psychopat ... -reviewer/

And if that doesn't convince you to avoid this cinematic cumstain, there's always Rex Reed's equally-thrasing review.

Disclaimer: While Martin McDonough utterly fails at feature films, his hilarious, finely-tuned plays and utterly brilliant short film are still some of my favorite individual works of all time. I guess the concept of "three act structure" causes his brain to malfunction.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Last edited by darkeningday on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:41 am 

Yeah, In Bruges was sooooooo shitty, man!

God, you're an hipster!

I hate going to the theater, but I think I'll make an exception with Seven Psychopaths, the cast is awesome, fuckin' Waits, Rockwell and Harrelson and Farell is not THAT bad when he's surrounded by great actors (see In Bruges)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:42 am 

I'm not going to read that. Every single one your posts in here reeks of pretention without actually adding anything, just being a particularly irritating negative nancy. Time to try the ignore list for the first time.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:43 am 

Yeah because I really want to form my opinion solely by reading reviews and not by going out and actually watching the movies; holy fuck you're an idiot darkeningday.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:06 am 

It's true; I haven't seen Seven Psychopaths myself, nor will I. In Bruges was such a foundational betrayal of everything McDonough had once stood for (who, up to that point was basically my idol), that I absolutely refuse to put either my money or my time down for anything else he does ever again. Fool me once...

Both of these reviews (coming from two film literate, finely tuned reviewers who I and many others interested in film as an art form tend to agree with) simply confirmed what I expected from the pre-release hype/trailers/spots/interviews/dishtowels for the film.

I doubt I'd have uttered so much as a peep if Necro, M-A's ever-present champion of what's wrong with film today hadn't trotted out, contentedly bandying vacuuous baseline buzzwords like "super original," "darkly hilarious" and "sharp dialog" to this revisionist, anti-cinema bullshit which is anything but original, Jesus. Christ.

Granted, it's probably still better than Cabin in the Woods...

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:43 am 

What the hell? In Bruges and The Guard are amazing movies (The Guard might even be better, funnier at least). What didn't you like about In Bruges, and how on earth was it 'a betrayal of everything McDonough once stood for'? What are you talking about?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:51 am 

Haven't seen The Guard, although I do want to. Remember that this one is different from this one, though.

If you're familiar with MM's goddamn motherfucking amazing plays (esp. The Pillowman and The Beauty Queen of Leenane), and his not-quite-as-great-but-still-very-good Oscar winning short film with Brendan Gleeson, you'd probably be able to see why In Bruges gave me such a bitter reaction.

All that piercing cultural satire, all that hysterically tragic banter, all that... (for lack of a more fitting artfag term) "magic", gone, and replaced entirely with dime-store Tarantino emulation. Yuckgasm.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:59 am 

darkeningday wrote:

I doubt I'd have uttered so much as a peep if Necro, M-A's ever-present champion of what's wrong with film today hadn't trotted out.

This is particularly hysterical coming from him.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:11 am 

I haven't read/seen his plays (but I'd like to), but I have seen Six Shooter. It's good, but In Bruges resonated with me a lot more. See The Guard, I'd be surprised if you didn't like it, but then again, maybe I wouldn't.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:20 am 

After reading the following "review" from RedBox:
CoolJay24 wrote:
Worst Movie i have ever seen Don Cheadle play in....terrible plot...even worst...didnt have any tru substance or stabilityto make you wanna even wach the movie past the first 15mins. Get only worse as movie continues on...a tru disappointment !!

I will definitely be picking it up ASAP. Review to follow.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:49 am 

Something cool about The Guard is that it was filmed in Galway, which is where I used to go to school. I recognized pretty much every location when I first saw the movie.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:24 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
waiguoren wrote:

Event Horizon is actually quite bad. It took a third viewing for it really sink in, but it's mostly stalk and slash with predictable jump scares, which is unfortunate because the start of the film is smart and promising. The characters are killed off before you even care about them and the ending feels rushed due to several scenes being cut from the finished film. There's such a build up to something spectacular, like a literal hell on earth, but it never eventuates and climaxes far too predictably. Sure, the ending is uncompromising and gives a lasting impact but there's ultimately very little depth. However, the visuals do look amazing and the score by Michael Kamen & Orbital is one of my favourites. In The Mouth Of Madness is vastly superior if we had to compare the two. I don't understand how you can view it as dated, is it the book element?

You make some good points and I can't argue against any of the things you bring up. I guess this kind of mirrors my own general "hmmm, there could have been more" feeling at the end. I suck at reviewing things, but I think what redeemed the movie for me and made me overlook the shortcomings you described is that it's just so goddamn unsettling on a level that transcends the regular hell-on-earth stuff. Cosmic horror, I guess, although I have never read any Lovecraft. I think the fact that the "hell dimension" concept is a bit understated, never fully realised and swiftly, desperately smothered in the end works in favor of the film and the strong feeling of menace in particular. Anyway, the atmosphere is great and the central plot point, while it may not be totally original (basically a form of this), made a huge impression on me the first time I saw it on TV, I must have been 15 or 16 then. I still think it's a good to great movie at what it does. Also, Sam Neill fanboy here.

In Bruges was great, still have to see The Guard.

I always thought the The Prophecy movies were rather goofy, not bad though. I only know the first two or three.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:03 pm 

Continuing my whole watch every John Carpenter movie journey, I watched Assault on Precinct Thirteen. It was an alright movie, but I can't say I enjoyed it all that much. It takes too long to build up tension (pretty much a bit more than half the movie). The performances are okay, if a bit wooden from the criminal characters. It's well shot though, and you can see Carpenter's still developing style already at play.

I also re-watched the first Halloween and found that it's still one of my favourite horror movies. The tension is palpable, the score is almost perfect, the shots of Micheal stalking, bidding his time and waiting to strike are great, and Donald Pleasance has some really classic speeches. The kills also manage to be very brutal while utilizing very little gore or blood. I don't remember Micheal doing that deep, loud breathing thing, sort of grunting too, in any of the sequels.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:11 pm 

waiguoren wrote:

I dunno, gotta disagree that it's dated. I mean, it is cheesy, but that's exactly the point - *SPOILERS* the protagonist is literally a Stephen King (uh, I mean, Sutter Kane) character. What makes it for me is the whole meta element, the utter hysterical despair the Sam Neill character feels at the end when he's in the theater, the tragic irony he experiences in watching himself assert that he knows what's real. The whole movie is just a sick joke, basically, in that the character realizes his entire existence has been nothing but a cheesy spectacle for mass consumption, and the same goes for Armageddon too. It's a very interesting twist on the whole Lovecraftian "the entirety of human existence is cosmically unimportant" thing - not only is the entirety of human existence cosmically unimportant, but all of our philosophical struggles, our deepest desires, our very humanity are no better than cheesy, mass-produced, second-rate entertainment. It'd be easy for that conclusion to come off as pretentious or just poorly executed, but I think Carpenter pulls it off, in large part thanks to Sam Neill's dead-serious acting.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:54 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Hahahahahahahahahaha

UCB film professor Eileen Jone's take (which almost always mirrors my own): http://exiledonline.com/seven-psychopat ... -reviewer/

Eileen Jones wrote:
"You can’t make your rotten screenplay good by having a character in it refer ironically to the fact that it’s rotten."

SKADOOSH. That's basically it. That's my problem with tons of "aware" movies these days. Ugh. Just fucking awful. 7P was no exception.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:18 am 

I just imagine darkeningday typing furiously at his computer, with a smug smirk on his face, every so often stopping to deeply inhale his own farts. "Hmmm this post isn't pretentious enough, I must revise it"

Oh yeah, and on topic, how bout them movies eh?

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:43 am 

Red band trailer for Evil Dead remake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceBXUyuv4Q0

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:53 am 

Seems accurate enough, Marty. As for Evil Dead, the trailer is decent. Seems like they're going for a lot of gross out moments. But after Cabin in the Woods was brilliant (and it's main scenario largely inspired by Evil Dead) I strongly question the need for a remake.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 359, 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365 ... 818  Next