Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:01 pm 

Spoiler: show
The drug problem thing sounds intriguing to me. I have faith they'll do it well - apparently it's supposed to tie into the mystical shaman type shit from the book, so it isn't going to be some kind of poor black heroin addict type of thing. Mike is an intelligent and interesting character and I think the director/writer will show that in the sequel.

It's been a few years since I read the book, but honestly I can't remember Mike's bookworm status being played up that much. I mean it was there, but it wasn't like he was a walking stereotype. His character being on a farm made sense with the kind of quiet, reserved but still tough enough kid I remember from the book.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:31 am 

The new Kingsman was a drag. Felt twice as long as it actually was.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:11 pm 

That's unfortunate. I love the first one as the sophomoric take on spy movie riffage, and a lot of the action scenes are incredible (not even just the church massacre).

Is it a drag in the sense that the cast phoned it in, the action and/or humor is weaker, or just the run time?

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:35 pm 

To add my two cents to the It discussion, I thought it was pretty good. The casting was solid and the atmosphere was reminiscent of the book's, and I'm looking forward to the next half, especially since, despite being over two hours long, I could have happily gone on watching It: Chapter One for a while longer. My complaints are few, and mostly center on the jump-scares; they would have done better to create more of a lurking, growing feeling of dread than to have those let's-speed-the-film-up-so-the-monster-moves-unnaturally-fast scenes that modern horror movies insist on having. That's a minor complaint, though, and it was a very entertaining movie, and definitely truer to its source than The Dark Tower (which I did actually like - more than others did, at least).

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:03 pm 

The Bad Batch - Yikes. This movie felt too long, individual scenes felt too long, there was too little dialogue and way too much music, and I never cared about the main character or the relationships that drove what passed for the plot. That last gripe is the most surprising, because the story begins with something terrible and violent happening to the protagonist, which is one of the easiest writing tricks to make me sympathize. I can appreciate the Spit on Your Grave movies on that level, for example.

But this was too self-consciously quirky to be the standard revenge film I probably would have liked better. Instead, the payback happens early, and much of the remaining hour-plus revolves around adults trading custody of a young girl. The main character has her for a while, but Khal Drogo also wants her. Whatever. In addition to having a bland protagonist, this manages to be a movie set in a quasi-post-apocalyptic wasteland, featuring cannibalism, with a child character who feels like a prop rather than a real human in danger.

4 / 10, and that's being generous. I remember the writer / director's previous movie A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night being better.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:51 am 

^ One of my favorite movies this year. Loved how weird and surreal it was and I've never seen anything like it really.

Death Note (2017) - This was pretty silly. Badly written with confusing character motivations and a lot of quite funny attempts at drama. Shame as there were at least a few kinda cool parts otherwise. It kind of felt like Natural Born Killers for idiots. There was just no real mature decisions made and everything was either pointlessly dragged out or rushed through with no finesse. Just a badly done film by any standard, though I didn't hate it like some who were familiar with the original source material did.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:15 am 

How could they possibly have left out the kiddie gangbang in the sewer? The whole It franchise has been irrepairably tainted! #notmyit #freethepedos
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:28 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
^ One of my favorite movies this year. Loved how weird and surreal it was and I've never seen anything like it really.

Death Note (2017) - This was pretty silly. Badly written with confusing character motivations and a lot of quite funny attempts at drama. Shame as there were at least a few kinda cool parts otherwise. It kind of felt like Natural Born Killers for idiots. There was just no real mature decisions made and everything was either pointlessly dragged out or rushed through with no finesse. Just a badly done film by any standard, though I didn't hate it like some who were familiar with the original source material did.

If you aren't familiar with the source material then I can see how you wouldn't look upon it as an atrocity like I do. You nonetheless picked out the things that still make it a bad movie. Plus, Nat Turner's (the guy who played Light in the movie) screaming always reminds me of Craig Robinson's (obviously comedic) scream before getting hit by the car in Pineapple Express.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:24 pm 

Nat Wolff was great in Paper Towns, but he was so miscast in this one. Almost entirely opposite of what that character needed to be.

I did read the manga years and years ago. Watched the first few eps of the anime since I saw the movie - much better and a very cool story.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:05 pm 

I watched Splinter the other night. For a low-budget indie-horror, it was quite good though pretty generic. It was incredibly predictable and not particularly well-acted, but it was suspenseful and entertaining. I enjoyed it and would probably give it a 7/10 or so.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:53 pm 

Patchwork - A horror comedy about three women who get chopped up and stitched back together in a single body, with their individual personalities still intact, trying to figure out how to get revenge. I wasn't sure what to make of this early on. Eventually, probably before the midpoint of its nonlinear structure, the movie won me over mainly because of fun, likable performances. I thought the ending was great too. In fact this movie's ending got the reaction out of me that I think The Bad Batch was unsuccessfully going for.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:28 am 

^ I turned that off after 10 minutes - just too stupid really, the basic premise was terrible already. Not even worth a review on my site...

The Circle - Emma Watson is involved in a Google-esque company taking over the social media world. This had some intriguing themes about connectivity and where social media is going, and how high intensity these Silicon Valley type companies are - some slightly eerie, dark stuff going on as the movie progresses too. But the ending was too clean and failed to really address any of the questions raised. It almost felt like a kind of love letter to overly technological human interaction, which is less interesting than the nuanced film it seemed like at first. Just seemed like they didn't know how to properly end this.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:36 pm 

I've been on a Hunger Games bender lately, having never read the books nor seen the movies until recently, and I enjoyed both versions of the story greatly. Personally, I'd say the movies would be pretty much flawless if it weren't for the first film's unforgivable shaky-cam addiction. I love how bleak the setting is and I especially enjoy stories where, even though our heroes are victorious, they pay a terrible, terrible price for that victory. And this is one of those stories.

And I really don't understand why people took a dump on the Mockingjay films--that book had a ton of shit going on, and trying to squeeze it all into a single film would've given none of its sequences the grandeur they deserved. The two-movie split didn't bother me at all, because I was hooked from start to finish.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:13 am 

Cult of Chucky- really fun.
Spiderman Homecoming- fun too. Michael Keaton was a good villain.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:55 am 

Watched a movie called Wolf Girl on Amazon.

Decent film overall, but I think the "let's celebrate the freakshow" trope has been done to death. It's about a girl who has that disease (what have you) where she has thick hair growing all over her body. She meets a boy who's mother is working on a treatment that removes the hair naturally, but it has some bad side effects, as I'm sure you can guess. So she gradually goes a little bonkers. Features a group of douchebag teens who pick her for harassment, setting up some revenge plotting. The actor who played Iceman in the X-Men films is featured as a bully with a tiny penis. Par for the course for bullies.

Also featured Tim Curry as the leader of the Freakshow.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:58 pm 

I watched Nosferatu last night. It was truly a great film. Max Schreck was extraordinary as Count Orlok. 8.5/10

I would also like to add that John Malkovich's acting was pivotal in the Shadow of the Vampire.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:51 pm 

Wolf Mother - This movie was all over the place. It's about two desperate people, a former actress now working as a hooker and a thief who recently graduated to cop-killing, trying to redeem themselves. There's a local Satanic gang forcing children into prostitution, so maybe our anti-heroes can rescue the child star who's their latest victim?

This might have worked if it had been as consistently gritty as the subject matter demands. For some reason the filmmaker went for a lighter tone way too often. And not just at the beginning to establish what a degenerate the thief is, either. Even after we learn about the Satanic traffickers, the movie takes a totally misguided detour not worth describing in detail, so I'll just say by the time it got serious again near the end I had mentally checked out.

Barely watchable, mostly because of a solid performance by that chick from Contracted, but wow what a mess. Sweet poster, though.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe - Yeah, this is more like it. Short, simple horror movie with only a handful of characters in basically one location. I liked the way things escalated, and the story didn't go quite where I expected. I was waiting for a big reveal that

the corpse is a vampire

which might have been OK, but what they actually did was better.

This reminded me of The Void a bit, maybe only because both had a "medical" setting. Either way they're two of the stronger horror movies I've seen lately.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:43 am 

I've finally seen Dunkirk and I have to say it's a masterpiece of noisy intensity that doesn't fail to mix in the right kind of emotional, heartfelt balance with its characterization. Good acting as well!
Production wise it's the best looking and sounding movie ever. Hooray to practical effects. Fear the stukas.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:00 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
The Autopsy of Jane Doe - Yeah, this is more like it. Short, simple horror movie with only a handful of characters in basically one location. I liked the way things escalated, and the story didn't go quite where I expected. I was waiting for a big reveal that

the corpse is a vampire

which might have been OK, but what they actually did was better.

This reminded me of The Void a bit, maybe only because both had a "medical" setting. Either way they're two of the stronger horror movies I've seen lately.

This was a solid flick... the first two acts were quite good and eerie, very atmospheric. I thought it got too generic and cliche in the finale though. A lot of horror movies seem to have this problem - it's emblematic of the more B-grade flicks in the genre I feel.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:28 pm 

That's a fair criticism. I think I was into the movie pretty much the whole way through because I hadn't anticipated where it would ultimately go. Then when it went there I realized it was more clever than anything I had thought of. (More "spoilers" of things that don't happen in Autopsy of Jane Doe)

Besides the vampire explanation, I wondered if the body was pregnant with the Antichrist, or otherwise used by devil worshipers.

It's probably true that horror can just be harder to write great endings for compared to other genres. I've complained many times about the final minutes of the original Nightmare on Elm Street (although I still think it's a classic), and The Void's finale had me scratching my head.

You should definitely give Patchwork another chance though. It gets better as it goes along, and nails the ending. :-P

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:43 pm 

Finally watched Blade Runner all the way through for the first time the other night. I tried watching it a long time ago and fell asleep. Really enjoyed it this time and its amazing how so many movies and games it's influenced.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:23 am 

I finally watched the Vvitch/Witch yesterday. Intense, strange, atmospheric, I liked it a lot. I did a search on the site and it seems like people love it, but I didn't see any in depth discussions about it. What actually happened during the movie?

Was the entire movie about the devil trying to corrupt Thomassin from the get go, as I saw one piece argue? Or was it the woods that were cursed and the entire family succumbed one by one "just because" they ended up living close to it? Were the twins evil? etc

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:47 am 

andersbang wrote:
Stuff about the VVitch

I think the movie deliberately leaves it unclear whether the family just goes hopping mad / psychotic as a result of the combination of their intense beliefs and outcast situation in the woods, or if there's really a supernatural element going on and what actually constitutes this supernatural element.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:32 am 

why wrote:
andersbang wrote:
Stuff about the VVitch

I think the movie deliberately leaves it unclear whether the family just goes hopping mad / psychotic as a result of the combination of their intense beliefs and outcast situation in the woods, or if there's really a supernatural element going on and what actually constitutes this supernatural element.

Yes, it does, the director have even specified that that was what he wanted to do, though he himself has a clear idea of what happened and how. He has even pointed out that the rot that attacked their crops is a hallucinatory fungus, if you wanted to kinda take it as a non-supernatural movie.

But I was interested in what -you- guys think, no matter that it can be understood both ways

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:07 am 

andersbang wrote:
VVVVITCHKRAAFT

I think it was the devil liberating Thomassin from the restrictions of her family's fucked up life and leading her way into freedom. Even if the price is the death of all the others (I don't think the devil care's too much about that though)

Edit:
They even wanted to give her away to another family. The whole thing is about becoming an adult by using/working together with the devil as a force of liberation from an unfree,
externally controlled life

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:34 am 

I basically agree with why on The Witch.

It's a feminist piece. It's essentially about Thomasin choosing to give up the restrictive dogma she was living under. She's finally happy at the end with Satan.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:40 am 

Watched "Gerald's Game" on Netflix. Pretty entertaining stuff, though like typical King fare he throws in one thing too many.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:10 pm 

demonomania wrote:
Watched "Gerald's Game" on Netflix. Pretty entertaining stuff, though like typical King fare he throws in one thing too many.

The whole thing with the deformed guy who plays the "villain" more or less was unnecessary. I have not read the book so no say there, but I was dissappointed when they decided to tack that on at the end there. Film worked really well as the isolationist mental case it was.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:30 pm 

The Exorcist is the most scariest movie of all time. There will never be a movie as terrifying as that film. 10/10

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:03 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
The Exorcist is the most scariest movie of all time. There will never be a movie as terrifying as that film. 10/10

Naaaaahhhhh. Cool and atmospheric and well-written? Certainly. Scariest movie of all time? Pffft.

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:44 pm 

Yeah wouldn't say the Exorcist really ever scared me, great movie though but that's been said many times over.
Speaking of atmosphere in horror movies, IT has literally none outside of the first scene. Loved the movie until it went back to trying to be a horror film and was just "look here's a loud noise and some dorky ass clown now be scared!" I think we need a movie with those kids thats just a fun, campy coming-of-age story or something like that because they were all wonderful.
Just rewatched Neil Breen's wonderful masterpiece Double Down, it makes even less sense the second time but god it's a whole lot of fun.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:54 pm 

The Exorcist is a terrifying film for what it represents. I think modern audiences may have been desensitized to it through years of seeing references and hearing about it through hype and whatnot.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:17 pm 

Visible demons just aren't scary anymore. As soon as you see its physical form, you know what to expect. No real surprises to be had.

Invisible demons (and invisible entities in general), though, are still fuckin' spooky by virtue of being invisible. Don't know what to expect = way spookier.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:21 pm 

Eh I wouldn't agree, I think anything can be scary depending on how it's done. I've seen movies both old and recent that have visible and invisible monsters that are scary. I don't see it as a hard and fast rule.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:39 pm 

The first Alien movie barely shows the creature; it probably appears for a total of around 10-15 minutes tops, and only partially, at that. Alien is a terrifying movie.

The Thing has plenty of scenes where it showcases the monster's horrific shapeshiting capabilities, with no shame whatsoever. The Thing is also a terrifying movie.

While I generally agree that horror is at its best when it's subtle, I think that a creative enough director can go all out and still end up with something pretty cool.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:43 pm 

The Thing was always at its spookiest when the monster was "invisible" (a.k.a. masquerading as one of the people). :V

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:02 am 

Gerald's Game is the unexpected hit of the year for me, never figured they could do an adaptation this good of this story. And it's Mike Flanagan too - this is his best since his debut film Absentia. Super creepy, sad and absorbing. He has a talent for making good claustrophobic/ambitious concepts about people in bizarre situations - first a deaf woman in Hush, now a woman tied to a bed here. I couldn't turn away from this, and the way the escape unfolded, surrounded by surreal, swelling horrors, is masterfully done. There's also some really heavy, disturbing and sad backstory to wade through. I was totally sucked into this. Finally another new great horror flick for the year.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:42 am 

My son is 14 now, and as it's October, we're back on scary movie time. The past couple Octobers, I've gradually let him see more and more R movies. I'm more careful with this stuff than my parents were, ha ha.

At any rate, he got to see the original Alien last year, and ever since, has asked to see the sequel. Over the weekend, he finally got to see Aliens and couldn't have been more thrilled. Pretty sure he loved it. We also watched The Omen 1976, and Critters 2, which was another he wanted to see. He got to see the first one last year. Kinda wish they'd make another one of these. There was that teaser that cropped up a couple years ago as somebody was trying to drum up interest again.

We also watched a film I had not heard of until Friday, called One Dark Night. This handily matches Poltergeist (and let's be fair, Monster House) as the best PG-rated horror I've seen. Some solid acting helped the film deliver on some really great and original ideas. You get to a point as a horror fan where you can tell what a movie is within a couple seconds of looking at the cover or the back of the case. My mom gave me one called "Devil's Due," and after looking at the back for 2 seconds, realized the title was a pun because it's another Rosemary's Baby kind of thing. The torture porn and slasher films and "new twist" zombies and evil maniac people and shitty modern ghost story movies are cheaper than a dime a dozen. They're more like a nickel a palette. You know what they are without watching them and know that no new ideas are anywhere within.

But this? One Dark Night? Goddamn, I could not predict what this would be from the cover or even the fucking simple description. No, instead, this movie was pretty great. Light on 80's cheese, solid on atmosphere, memorable on effects and new ideas. Highly recommended if you want to see something that's actually a fresh concept. Also, best PG-rated face melting ever. Yes, I'm including Raiders of the Lost Ark and the face-peeling scene in Poltergeist.

Finally, because I'm a Transformers fan, we finally picked up the 5th movie, The Last Knight. Boy howdy, this is probably the worst of the movies. I tolerate these because of my TF fandom, but shit was this bad. A review I saw on IMDB said it felt like an entire story written in a single paragraph with no punctuation. That is spot-on. Two and a half hours long and it was still rushed. Way too many plot contrivances, and way too many characters forced to trudge through it. Several Decepticons were introduced--AND THEN FUCKING KILLED WITHIN 4 MINUTES. Onslaught is one of my favorite characters in the franchise (as part of Bruticus) and he was in the movie for less time than it takes to do a quick bathroom break. It's entirely possible that if I had seen the movie in the theater and gone to the bathroom, I could've missed him! How fucking stupid is that? Who introduces a character only to kill them? It was completely unnecessary. Oh, and the Earth is Unicron. That's stupid also. I realize that the TF: Prime series took a similar path before, but this is stupid. Anthony Hopkins muttered his way through incoherent dialog, and again, outside of like Bumblebee, no character development on the Transformers themselves. All characters are dicks to one another. What a mess.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:46 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Gerald's Game is the unexpected hit of the year for me, never figured they could do an adaptation this good of this story. And it's Mike Flanagan too - this is his best since his debut film Absentia. Super creepy, sad and absorbing. He has a talent for making good claustrophobic/ambitious concepts about people in bizarre situations - first a deaf woman in Hush, now a woman tied to a bed here. I couldn't turn away from this, and the way the escape unfolded, surrounded by surreal, swelling horrors, is masterfully done. There's also some really heavy, disturbing and sad backstory to wade through. I was totally sucked into this. Finally another new great horror flick for the year.

Also enjoyed it, though see discussion just prior - I agree with the spoiler from Dooders wholeheartedly.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:41 pm 

That was exactly how it was in the book, though I can see why some wouldn't like it. I thought it was a cool twist in the story.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 679, 680, 681, 682, 683, 684, 685 ... 818  Next