Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:16 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Since when does a producer have any say in if a movie turns out good?

The producer is responsible for large chunks of the people put in place to make the movie good. I can't comment specifically on what Adi Shankar did on the films he's produced thus far, but he obviously gives a shit about the projects he chooses, and I'm willing to bet he puts in a lot of work to make these movies work. He isn't some studio hack placeholder who's there just to make sure shit doesn't go off the rails, or to collect a paycheck, or whatever a studio producer does. Dredd 3D, Machine Gun Preacher, Killing Them Softly, the Punisher: Dirty Laundry short starring Thomas Jane - these are all awesome things he's produced.

volutetheswarth wrote:
With the failure that was Dredd at the cinema, I can't see that guy being trusted to fund anything but sequels and remakes for a long time.

Dredd 3D was not a financial success, but it was a critical fucking home run in every respect. I'm also not responding to the second part of your statement. Read what I typed above and do some research on your own.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:42 am 

Oh I seem to have upset you. It's so funny how easily offended you are, without even determining where my stance lies. No, it's better to be ignorant and come across as purely childish and easily dismissable. NEXT.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:45 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Oh I seem to have upset you. It's so funny how easily offended you are, without even determining where my stance lies. No, it's better to be ignorant and come across as purely childish and easily dismissable. NEXT.

I don't care where it lies. You said something patently false, it annoyed me and I called you on it.

On "next", we can both agree, though.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:48 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
tl;dr - suck it

Stick to your statements. Don't delete it and pretend to make it one sided.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:51 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
tl;dr - suck it

Stick to your statements. Don't delete it and pretend to make it one sided.

The idea is still there, I just took out most of my kneejerk reaction bullshit. You good, now?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:03 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Dredd 3D [...] was a critical fucking home run in every respect.

:scratch:
click

I'm not offering an opinion on the movie itself (I believe Under_Starmere is the only person here who wouldn't try to lynch me for it), just pointing out that your glass house is crumbling.

@iamntbatman, Subrick: I meant superficial to Stoker itself. Sorry, I did a very poor job of making that clear. Actually, I felt Dredd was spared the garbage heap thanks almost entirely to its throbbing, heart-pounding, 80's influenced synth score and beautiful visual effects work. The same can be said for an enormous amount of sci-fi movies (and television), which I guiltily adore.

Re: Stoker criticism: everything I have to say about it is incredibly spoiler-y in nature. I might wait until more people here have seen it before giving it a more in-depth analysis. Needless to say, it's all bad. All. In fact, Stoker actually made me re-asses my own grading rubric. I watched Identity Thief soon after Stoker (for reasons that shall not be disclosed), and while I'd normally rate a re-hashed, committee-designed, focus-tested comedy like that extremely poorly (1-2/10), it was a veritable breath of fresh air after the sulfur-monoxide that was Stoker. I'd probably give Identity Thief like a 4 now. What a fascinating shift.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:21 am 

Empyreal wrote:
ChineseDownhill wrote:
Evil Dead (2013) - I like the original trilogy, but I don't worship it to the point that I find the idea of a remake offensive, and I'm not going to cry about the absence of an Ash character. I just wanted a movie that followed the same basic concept of young people at a cabin in the woods getting possessed and killing each other, and this delivers as well as I could have hoped. Good gore, plenty of memorable scenes (some of which will be familiar if you've seen the Sam Raimi films), and any worries I had about obnoxious Diablo Cody dialogue (she apparently did some kind of uncredited re-write) were unfounded.

It wasn't bad, but it completely lacks the kind of spontaneity and savageness that the original one had. I did like the gore well enough but eh, wasn't really what I'd call a good movie overall...just no reason to really see it over the original, unfortunately.

Heard abut this while on vacation. Now i'm back in NZ i've time to watch movies again in my spare time, while i save for another vacation. I'm quite keen to see this one, though i don't have high hopes. I guess i'm one of these classic horror fanboys that tends to get more or less offended by all these remakes. I mean, it's been 15 years now and i think we can all admit theyre seldom any good. I mean look at The Thing fr example. Anyways, i know i'll be unimpressed, but keen to give it a watch.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:05 am 

So, Stoker was very good. The whole scenery/photography was, as it always is with Park, very well done. The plot was getting better while the movie was advancing and the ending was great. The acting is another good point; the characters are very defined and portrayed the tension just nice. Anyway, this movie - as the rest of the Chan-Wook-Park catalogue - is not for people who likes fast paced movies. I think the movie was well directed and, if Park would had a hand on the script as well, it could have been excellent. Recommended!

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:17 pm 

I like the original trilogy, but I don't worship it to the point that I find the idea of a remake offensive, and I'm not going to cry about the absence of an Ash character. I just wanted a movie that followed the same basic concept of young people at a cabin in the woods getting possessed and killing each other, and this delivers as well as I could have hoped. Good gore, plenty of memorable scenes (some of which will be familiar if you've seen the Sam Raimi films), and any worries I had about obnoxious Diablo Cody dialogue (she apparently did some kind of uncredited re-write) were unfounded.[/quote]

It wasn't bad, but it completely lacks the kind of spontaneity and savageness that the original one had. I did like the gore well enough but eh, wasn't really what I'd call a good movie overall...just no reason to really see it over the original, unfortunately.[/quote]
Heard abut this while on vacation. Now i'm back in NZ i've time to watch movies again in my spare time, while i save for another vacation. I'm quite keen to see this one, though i don't have high hopes. I guess i'm one of these classic horror fanboys that tends to get more or less offended by all these remakes. I mean, it's been 15 years now and i think we can all admit theyre seldom any good. I mean look at The Thing fr example. Anyways, i know i'll be unimpressed, but keen to give it a watch.[/quote]

I thought it was way overhyped(I thought the poster was false advertising) and various sites showed spoilery clips, at least with the gore, ruined some of it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:24 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Gonna steal Empyreal's format for this. I await his gimmick infringement suit.

Nah, but I will sue you for giving any Gingerdead Man movie a score above 0 stars.

DRD wrote:
Heard abut this while on vacation. Now i'm back in NZ i've time to watch movies again in my spare time, while i save for another vacation. I'm quite keen to see this one, though i don't have high hopes. I guess i'm one of these classic horror fanboys that tends to get more or less offended by all these remakes. I mean, it's been 15 years now and i think we can all admit theyre seldom any good. I mean look at The Thing fr example. Anyways, i know i'll be unimpressed, but keen to give it a watch.

You could do worse. It's not bad or anything, and they generally keep it exciting enough plot-wise. I just never thought it really reached a level where it grabbed me like the 1980s one did.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:12 pm 

Yeah i'll probably get round to watching it. I always go into these not having high expectations, after a few disappointments with remakes 10 years or so ago, so it's not like i'll be heartbroken.

On another note i had like 4 days of flights over the last while so watched a few of the movies available on my screen thingies. One was Identity Theif. Basically thought it would be crap/average at best and that's what i got. Only watched it for Jason Bateman. I guess the idea was somewhat interesting. Can't think of a recent film i've watched with a similar basic plot, or anything. At least it's not a teen sex romp, god-awful parody/spoof entry, or Hangover 5, but yeah it had a few funny-ish moments but on the whole was totally average and not worth watching. Not even really on a 14 hour flight. But i guess i preferred it to choosing to watch Les Miserables or whatever. Rating: 1.5/5

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:45 pm 

Identity Thief looks like absolute torture. It's one of those movies that you can tell just from the poster that it's going to be BAD. I mean, look at this...

Spoiler: show

...and tell me that it looks like a good movie.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:57 pm 

I hate that fat bitch. She's the most painfully unfunny ''comedian'' this side of Chelsea Handler, and they're putting her in everything now. The fuck is the appeal?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:02 pm 

It wasn't too bad. Enjoyable enough for a modern comedy...I didn't want to turn it off when I saw it so that was something. Had a couple of really lame parts though.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:04 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I hate that fat bitch. She's the most painfully unfunny ''comedian'' this side of Chelsea Handler, and they're putting her in everything now. The fuck is the appeal?

Hahaha, i know what you mean. She was annoying as hell, but i think, i mean, i guess that movie, and that role called for someone like her. Still, crap movie. Wasn't surprised, merely in the middle of a 48 hour series of flights back from Finland, trying to pass time. I watched a couple other ones too.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:08 pm 

It's because Bridesmaids was a big hit. If that movie bombed or if she wasn't in it, she would still be stuck in the obscurity that someone with her lack of talent deserves.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:11 pm 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Bridesmaids sucks more balls than should even be possible. Only MacGrubber is a worse comedy. While we're at it, fuck Kristen Wiig. She was in both of those turds. Another actress that I'm completely incredulous gets roles. Though I guess she was somewhat ''ok'' in Extract. Which is one movie out of however many she blew in.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:49 pm 

Amazes me how her movies are rated R, yet hollywood is really afraid to do that anymore, yet those movies are shit.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:42 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Bridesmaids sucks more balls than should even be possible. Only MacGrubber is a worse comedy.

I haven't seen MacGrubber, but IMO Bridesmaids blows away the following recent comedies: The Campaign, The Hangover Part II (haven't seen Part III), Due Date..... Hey, it seems I hate the short fat guy (Zach Galifianakis) as much as you guys hate the short fat woman!

Oh, and add This Is 40 to the Not As Good As Bridesmaids category as well.

While we're talking about bad comedies, has anybody seen Movie 43? I'm watching it this weekend and I hope it's fascinatingly terrible like The Room, but I have a feeling it'll just be unfunny and dull. Ebert's old partner called it "the Citizen Kane of awful" which makes it sound like one of those movies I have to see once, even though he specifically warns against checking it out just for the train wreck factor.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:50 am 

It sucks, but there are so much worse piles of shit out there than that. Movie 43 just tries too hard, and while it honestly was kinda funny at times, it's nowhere near as shitty as reviews of it are making it out to be.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:04 am 

I watched some of Movie 43, mainly the first 15 minutes and the leprechaun part, and it just wasnt funny. There is far worse though, like those shitty PG-13 parodies, and Postal(especially hate that, since I blind bought it).

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:53 am 

Uh, the NC-17 director's cut of Postal is very nearly brilliant. I hated the R and Unrated cuts as well, though. Sad how much the studio wrecked one of Uwe Boll's only good films (along with Rampage and Stoic, the latter of which is possibly my favorite docudrama of all time).
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:33 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
While we're talking about bad comedies, has anybody seen Movie 43? I'm watching it this weekend and I hope it's fascinatingly terrible like The Room, but I have a feeling it'll just be unfunny and dull. Ebert's old partner called it "the Citizen Kane of awful" which makes it sound like one of those movies I have to see once, even though he specifically warns against checking it out just for the train wreck factor.

Yeah, sadly it's just unfunny and dull. Take all the gross-out gags from the worst American Pie films and then add some half arsed wrap-around story that is utterly boring and worthless, that is Movie 43 in a nut shell. And it's doubly worse when you know the 'punchline' because that's entirely what the movie hinges itself upon.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:07 am 

Movie 43 is just a series of sketches with a wax-paper thin wrap-around. I'll never understand all the Friedberg comparisons; it's much closer to stuff like The Meaning of Life, Kentucky Fried Movie and more recently The Onion (movie) and The Ten than any of those unmentionably horrible Scary Movie "movies." Like all sketch-com movies, it was insanely hit-or-miss, more often ending up in the latter than the former. Still, the Merchant/Berry sketch, parts of the Long/Sudeikis bit and especially the James Gunn skit at the end were pretty fucking spectacular, and far more rewarding in their 5-odd minute run-times than most feature-length films passing as comedy these days. Overall, I'd rank it just slightly below The Ten and The Onion (movie); something like a 4.5/10 for 43, 5/10 for the other two. None are really recommended, but you could do a whole helluva lot worse if you're looking for modern comedy (This Is The End, I'm looking at you).

HUMANBEANSv2
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:18 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:

Toss it in the bin with all the other remakes...some good gore, some cool FX, some interesting scenes sprinkled about, but no real likable characters and they've made a real mess of the whole Candarian demon mythology,
i'll keep waiting for a modern horror movie to have a main character you care about like laurie strode or nancy thompson or rj macready

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:30 pm 

Saw Dredd (2012). Pretty good movie; to the point, great action, tons on blood, awesome visuals, good acting for what it is. Score 4/5

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:58 pm 

Has anyone else seen Only God Forgives yet? New film from Refn starring Ryan Gosling with Cliff Martinez doing the music. I found it pretty enjoyable, but definitely don't go in expecting to see Drive 2.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:00 pm 

I love Refn and bear no ill-will towards Gosling, but I thought Drive mostly sucked. So this is only a good thing in my book!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:00 pm 

After Bronson I'm very, very wary of touching anything else he does, but I might see it sometime if I feel like it. Drive was the only good thing I've seen from him.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:02 pm 

You should watch the Pusher trilogy before you judge him. I didn't care much for Bronson personally, but I found it generally more agreeable than Drive.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:04 pm 

Yeah, the three I've seen from him are Fear X, Drive and Bronson, in that order - without realizing the same guy did all three until I looked afterward. I think I saw one of those Pusher movies on Netflix, I'll check it out - looked interesting. I just didn't think two out of the three I saw being eye-gougingly horrible was a very good frame of reference. :p

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:31 pm 

I've seen the first two Pushers are they're definitely worth checking out. Pretty interesting stuff, kind of disarming in how at the outset they feel kind of superficial and by the end you're surprised at how emotionally involved you are in them. Pretty cool. I've been meaning to check out part 3 but keep forgetting. Maybe tonight's the night!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:53 pm 

Pusher 3 is actually on Netflix, Under_Starmere!

None of the other ones are, though, sadly, although its 2012 remake is there. I wouldn't strongly recommend the remake, especially if you've already seen the original, but it's by no means bad. Really atmospheric and beautifully executed; just kind of lacks a lot of what made the original so special.

But if you're in the mood for Drive-lite, Empyreal, you could do a whole hell of a lot worse than Pusher 2012. It's only 90 minutes long, features the beautiful Agyness Deyn in her cinematic debut, riveting cinematography and has a gorgeous soundtrack by Orbital. Just keep in mind that the original stands head and shoulders above it in nearly every other way.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:54 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Pusher 3 is actually on Netflix, Under_Starmere!

I know! It's been on my queue for like four months! What the fuck! Why do I not push play?!?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:59 pm 

HOLY FUCK, STRANGE DAYS IS ALSO ON INSTANT?

That's not a great movie but it IS a great action movie.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:14 pm 

Strange Days was pretty cool, there need to be more good cyberpunk movies. Johnny Mnemonic was pretty good but suffered a bit from being too "zany" and in-your-face with its weirdness I think. Strange Days was much subtler. Also Keanu Reeves, while not horrible, is far from the best actor they could have put in the lead role.

Then there's New Rose Hotel, which I barely remember except for it being kind of a mess plot-wise, though Walken and Dafoe were cool as always. Sleep Dealer was very neat, especially in the setup and first act or two, but ultimately seemed like it didn't quite live up to its potential in an annoyingly non-specific way. Just lacked a real "zing" in the final act.

Otherwise there's just not much to go around; Blade Runner and Total Recall are cool of course, Robocop partially counts I suppose, but really I think the cyberpunk aesthetic was so archetypically 80s that any movie not made in the 80s or early 90s is almost certainly not going to capture it properly.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:16 pm 

Yeah, it's too mainstream and uncool to mention, but The Matrix was rad.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:28 pm 

The Matrix really wasn't very cyberpunky at all. It did have some elements of cyberpunk - William Gibson called VR "the matrix" for example - but it lacked the all-powerful evil corporations, lowlife protagonists, body modification, and Japanese influence that characterize true cyberpunk. A movie doesn't need ALL of those things to be cyberpunk, but it certainly needs more of them than the Matrix had.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:31 pm 

It had all of those things, as long as you count evil robots as an evil corporation!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:02 pm 

Nah dude, I mean I guess it had some kung fu stuff for the Japanese component but it really didn't have serious body mods or lowlife characters. The guy in Strange Days publishes porn, Johnny Mnemonic smuggles information, Deckard is essentially a police hitman, etc.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 410, 411, 412, 413, 414, 415, 416 ... 818  Next