Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:18 am 

Watched Air Bud Spikes Back last night. It was very entertaining, but severely misrepresented as an "Air Bud" film. You could have taken Buddy out of the movie and not changed the plot significantly. They didn't play any volleyball at all until ONE HOUR into the film and Buddy only played volleyball in three scenes, one of which was a montage. This is unacceptable for an animal playing sports movie.

The movie should also be classified as an LGBT movie because the main plot is about a teenage lesbian romance and the struggle of two star crossed lovers to reunite after being separated by family obligations. The starting a small business, volleyball, dognapping, and jewel heist stuff are just subplots.

Also watched the first Air Buddies. I liked how they brought in the sports element of the Air Bud movies in a bit, but it was a more generic talking animals movie. Hearing Buddy talk really threw off my understanding of the character, as I'd always envisioned him with a more aloof and whimsical personality rather than as a whitebread dad.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:55 am 

Recently bought the Chucky Blu-Ray set. Just finished watching them all. Mixed a bit on the last one, which was stylish, but took an odd direction for the franchise.

Watched a famous (?) horror film from Indonesia called Mystics from Bali. It was really something. Apparently some American woman fully wanted to become a legendary folk monster, and she did so, and sucked a baby from a woman's vagina, and later, two characters fought each other Mortal Kombat style. From 1981.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:28 pm 

Watched Baby Driver. I expected this to be more plain fun than it was. First, too long; the last quarter or so was a real drag. Second, yeah, the movie obviously does some really cool things with the music and action scenes, but all that flashy style doesn't come with a lot of writing and character substance. I'm aware that it wasn't trying to be deep storytelling, but it suffers from the lack of a solid base regardless. Meh.

Though for some reason I really enjoyed Jon Hamm in this.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:45 am 

Jon Hamm was great in black mirror. But I guess that's tv talk.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:48 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
I watched in only 3 drays Blade Runner 2049 and Thor Ragnarok. It was the visual exemplification of something very artsy and a pile of shit.

Seriously, what they hell were thining when they filmed the new Thor?. Previous films were enjoyable, too much humour sometimes(something that has become a plague during the last years) but something acceptable. New Thor is like a bad parody, full of bad jokes even in the theoretically most serious moments of the films, destroying the slightest sense of tense and seriouness. I even feel ashamed when I was watching the film. I can´t imagine how good actors like Anthony H. and Cate Blanchett have accepted to take part in shit pathetic production. At leat Hela was one of the few decents things of this film.

I was not ashamed to watch the new Thor and it's probably Top 3 for me of all the MCU movies released so far. I loved it.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:11 pm 

schizoid wrote:
Jon Hamm was great in black mirror. But I guess that's tv talk.

Yes, that, and he was also great in this little show called Mad Men. :P

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:33 pm 

He is great in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:15 pm 

I watched Tickled last night. It's a documentary that set off to be about competitive tickling contests that ended up unearthing something more nefarious. It's an interesting watch.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:33 am 

Kerrick wrote:
I watched Tickled last night. It's a documentary that set off to be about competitive tickling contests that ended up unearthing something more nefarious. It's an interesting watch.

I put a dollar towards the crowd funding for that, but still haven't seen it yet. Prior to the movie I was following the journalist's expose. Fascinating stuff.

Dark side note: the subject of the documentary has since killed himself.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry, spreading false rumors. Turned out he died of a heart attack.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:20 pm 

Interesting! I knew he died but hadn't heard how. Apparently there are some conspiracies out there regarding whether he actually died or just faked it...

This weekend I also watched The Deep (1977) which is a pretty fun flick. American tourist divers in Bermuda discover a shipwreck that murderous bad guys are after the contents of. Suspense ensues. It's a nice turn-your-brain-off-and-enjoy adventure film.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:32 am 

Watched the new Pirates of the Caribbean and liked it more than I thought I would. Better than the last one(though I hardly remember it).

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:23 am 

I saw The Justice League last night and I'm guessing I'm gonna be one of the few that liked it.

All the crap going on right now with Ben Affleck though and him wavering on whether he wants to be Batman anymore throws a lot of my excitement up in the air. I would love to see more Justice League movies.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Sinfulsot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:07 am 

Back from Justice League. I am half assuming there is going to be an extended version in near future; if not, the release was exactly what I was expecting. more specifically, it was exactly what it was s'posed to be: a lone actor recruiting other lone actors in anticipation of a greater threat.

this telling is definitely more for the fan. Affleck as an older Batman works for me. Gal Gadot carrying it forward, rounding out the DC trilogy nicely. flash and cyborg were more rookie, getting guidance from Bats and WW as they come into their own.

I am so pleased with this take on Aquaman, the statement gets its own line.

I didn't see it in 3D, which i didn't miss. there are two teaser scenes, one early-ish in the end credits, the 2nd more near the end.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:41 am 

Saw Justice League last night. What a mess. There are some pretty action scenes for sure, but that's about it.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:22 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Watched the new Pirates of the Caribbean and liked it more than I thought I would. Better than the last one(though I hardly remember it).

I've been watching the Pirates movies lately. The first was the only one I had seen multiple times and I still like it. The other movies decreased in quality as I went along. I'll be seeing the new one today but after Stranger Tides' supreme badness I have no hope. Maybe I'll like it more than I think I will since my expectations are underwater right now.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:25 pm 

Both of the last two Pirates movies are straight up zero-star movies for me. Holy fuck were they bad. Nothing redeeming at all for me.

About to go see Lady Bird soon - looking forward to this one.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:55 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Both of the last two Pirates movies are straight up zero-star movies for me. Holy fuck were they bad. Nothing redeeming at all for me.

Gotta say after just watching it now, my low expectations helped me. It wasn't as bad as I'd thought. Still not good, and the bad writing and that male lead (not Depp, the kid) took me out of it but it had its moments.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:18 pm 

Before I went and saw Justice League, I read a couple of reviews that basically said the same thing - Hey, surprise, this movie actually doesn't entirely suck.

I'm on board with that. It doesn't suck. Entirely. I liked it overall, but it's pretty uneven. There are some good action sequences, but also some terrible CGI. The actors do good jobs as their respective DC icons, but the dialogue can't find it's tone. Are we all lighthearted? Friendly? Brooding? Do we even like each other?

I really did like how everyone worked as a team though. No one character carries the day, even though it must have really been tempting to put Wonder Woman front and center after the success of the solo movie and the fact than she was the only good part of Batman v Superman.

There are some distractingly stupid plot points, such as when everyone forgets that they're supposed to be guarding this ultra important motherbox thing, and the bad guy just walks off with it while they're not paying attention. But as a whole I thought it was pretty good.

Last edited by GTog on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:20 pm 

After the news that Charles Manson died yesterday and the anticipation for more news about the upcoming Quentin Tarantino film about the Manson family, I've been wondering what people think about who should play Charles Manson.

My thoughts lean towards a handful of actors that I feel have the look as well as the acting chops to pull it off. So here's my list of who I think would be a good fit:

James McAvoy - His great performance in Split has completely convinced me he has the ability to play an unhinged evil and manipulative figure like Charles Manson. His age is just right for the role of Charles Manson in his 30s and he has yet to work with Quentin Tarantino, so he could be a good candidate with a great fit for him to finally work with Quentin Tarantino. I'd love to see this happen.

Billy Crudup - A great actor that has had a pretty good range of characters in his repertoire. His turn as the rocker in Almost Famous was great. A very charismatic performance. I really enjoyed his depressed concise turn as Dr. Manhattan in The Watchmen. He may be a touch old for the 30s Manson, but he looks younger than his age. His face looks similar enough as well. He also has not worked with Tarantino yet, so that may be a plus or a minus to his likelihood. Obviously Tarantino tends to work with actors he already has.

Christian Bale - An intense and versatile actor. I thought his performance in American Psycho was mesmerizing. He has played so many different types of characters and him picking up and fitting into a Charles Manson type character seems like an obvious fit. His look is also similar enough and his age works as well.

Joaquin Phoenix - He can play hysterical and unhinged as well as laid back and mellow all the same. I really dug his subtle mellowed out performance in Inherent Vice, which interestingly was just done a couple years back and is of the same time and place as the Charles Manson antics (I believe the film also referenced the Manson family as well, probably did in all that hippie stoned out lingo). His age and look also fits.

Walton Goggins - After his performance in The Hateful Eight, I've become a much bigger fan of Walton. I thought he was the best part of that film by far. His cadences and execution of the Tarantino dialogue was truly superb and he became a scene stealer because of it. He showed good range in emotion in that film and I think he could do the same as Manson. His look is also fairly accurate. He's a touch older than the ideal, but could easily be made up to pass for his mid 30s.

Currently I think my favorite choice is James McAvoy. I'd love to see what he could do with that role and I think he'd be truly great.

Honorable mention would go to Jeremy Davies for obvious reasons. I mean the guy looks like 1960s Charles Manson' s twin brother. Creepy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:35 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Gotta say after just watching it now, my low expectations helped me. It wasn't as bad as I'd thought. Still not good, and the bad writing and that male lead (not Depp, the kid) took me out of it but it had its moments.

Oh well...

Lady Bird was really good. Very much one of those indie flicks, a coming of age story told in a style you've seen before - though it's well directed enough to feel very fresh and fun. The dialogue is fantastic and there are a lot of good jokes throughout. The drama is heartfelt and more nuanced than some movies of this type. It had a lot to say about youth and restlessness. A damn fine film.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:00 pm 

Anyone got anything similar to Deep Rising, Virus ('99), Sphere, and Event Horizon? Necessary shit: tech and eldritch evil, space or sea (the infinite), DooM influence, late 90s to early 2000s

Maybe the Carpenter movie, Ghosts of Mars? Probably DooM too. I'll rewatch Ghost Ship but I don't think it fits here.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:26 pm 

^Maybe Pandorum or Sunshine, unless those are too recent? I assume you've seen The Abyss.

I watched the 1974 version of Murder On The Orient Express this past weekend. It's a pretty fun flick and I'm glad nobody had ever spoiled the ending for me.
Spoiler: show
However, neither my wife nor I particularly cared for the "moral lesson" of the ending. The viewer was supposed to be sympathetic to everyone whose lives had been terribly affected by the evil man they murdered, and therefore the viewer was supposed to be happy that Poirot does the "right" thing by letting everyone literally get away with a rather sadistic murder instead of seeking [legal] justice.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:53 pm 

StryckenFromHistory wrote:
Anyone got anything similar to Deep Rising, Virus ('99), Sphere, and Event Horizon? Necessary shit: tech and eldritch evil, space or sea (the infinite), DooM influence, late 90s to early 2000s

Maybe the Carpenter movie, Ghosts of Mars? Probably DooM too. I'll rewatch Ghost Ship but I don't think it fits here.

Hell, play Dead Space. Better than a lot of movies.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:44 am 

I was going to suggest Pandorum as well. The Thing doesn't necessarily have the demonic influences, but really creepy shit that would look right at home in Resident Evil 4. And yeah, all three Dead Space games (minus bits of Dead Space 3) are really solid and revel in the creepy space shit. Ghosts Of Mars, while technically fitting the bill, just isn't that great.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:26 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Ghosts Of Mars, while technically fitting the bill, just isn't that great.
This is a scholarly inquest as opposed to fun watch recs. Anyway, it was a better Doom than Doom!

The Thing is too old for the aesthetic I'm gathering. Dead Space doesn't belong here-vidyagames not wanted! I checked out the OVAs or whatever for DS and they were terrible.

Forgot about Pandorum, thanks! Didn't know about Sunshine so I'll give that a go, and I haven't seen The Abyss, but I'm fine with that.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:51 pm 

StryckenFromHistory wrote:
Forgot about Pandorum, thanks! Didn't know about Sunshine so I'll give that a go, and I haven't seen The Abyss, but I'm fine with that.

Sure thing! Sunshine is pretty good. It's directed by Danny Boyle and written by Alex Garland who were the same guys that did 28 Days Later, though it's definitely not the masterpiece 28DL is IMO.

I remember liking The Abyss a lot when I was much younger, but don't remember much of it now. It's a bit generic, but worth watching I'd say.

These are a bit campier, but DeepStar Six and Leviathan might be closer to what you're looking for. Screamers has a similar feel to it too.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:22 pm 

Guys, need help remembering the title of a movie...

Was a Japanese period piece made probably sometime around the early to mid 2000's about a man whose wife dies and haunts him until his own death. While I guess you would technically call it a horror, it was more just unrelentingly grim, sad and depressing than straight up scary.

Ring a bell for anyone? EDIT: Nevermind, found it. Turns out it was Kaidan (2007).

Last edited by schizoid on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:39 pm 

Watched "Shot Caller" over the weekend. Despite being akin to watching an entire season of SoA in one sitting, it was pretty entertaining. Took me a minute to recognize the older "Mindhunters" cop as The Beast - dude's pretty in shape for his age.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:31 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
Sure thing! Sunshine is pretty good. It's directed by Danny Boyle and written by Alex Garland who were the same guys that did 28 Days Later, though it's definitely not the masterpiece 28DL is IMO.

I feel like I need to give that a rewatch. I remember really enjoying the first slower part, but the change in tone kind of threw me when I saw in the theaters years ago.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:21 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
I feel like I need to give that a rewatch. I remember really enjoying the first slower part, but the change in tone kind of threw me when I saw in the theaters years ago.

Aww that's part of why I liked it so much. :) I've seen it a few times since and it's gotten sillier to me with each viewing - similar to Dark City in that regard. It's still a decent movie though.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:41 pm 

Alongside those above recs for cheesy sci-fi/horror/action fluff from that era, Supernova has James Spader and Angela Bassett.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:56 pm 

Justice League was trash. A discombobulated story full of a lot of random parts that weren't developed - it's a comic book movie, but felt like a really bad, poorly written comic book. The heroes had pretty much zero chemistry with one another and were either soulless with no personality (Cyborg/Aquaman) or rip-offs of Marvel characters (the dynamic between Flash and Batman). Villain was a complete generic waste and the story was shallow fantasy tripe... this was not really a movie about much of anything, it had no real interesting meat to the plot, no deeper resonance beyond another shitty 'save the world' Z-grade bargain bin plot. The action was mostly a bunch of dull CGI garbage. This just felt like a bad patchwork of a movie without a real cohesion to it.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:00 pm 

Wavelength (1983) is one for UFO enthusiasts. Some people call it a E.T. rip-off. But there are not that much similarities between these two 80s flicks. Thinking about cover-ups ("it was swamp gas, nothing more..."), this showed well how one can happen.

It has a Tangerine Dream soundtrack. Which is a bit too "pop" at times, but maybe that's what the director wanted.

Had zero expectations towards this, and got a worthy timekiller.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:55 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Justice League was trash. A discombobulated story full of a lot of random parts that weren't developed - it's a comic book movie, but felt like a really bad, poorly written comic book. The heroes had pretty much zero chemistry with one another and were either soulless with no personality (Cyborg/Aquaman) or rip-offs of Marvel characters (the dynamic between Flash and Batman). Villain was a complete generic waste and the story was shallow fantasy tripe... this was not really a movie about much of anything, it had no real interesting meat to the plot, no deeper resonance beyond another shitty 'save the world' Z-grade bargain bin plot. The action was mostly a bunch of dull CGI garbage. This just felt like a bad patchwork of a movie without a real cohesion to it.

The worst part is, Steppenwolf is one of Darkseid's elite, who are easily one of the most colorful and exciting groups of villains in all of comics. Fucksake, they're Jack Kirby at his most creative and crazy! Look at this ridiculous motherfucker:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:01 am 

It's like DC forgot that the dark, brooding tone only worked for the Nolan Batman movies because A.) It's Christopher Nolan, and B.) Batman is a dark, brooding character. What works for one franchise will not work for all franchises, especially the brighter and sillier ones like Superman and The Flash.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:53 am 

I'm guessing Snyder thought that original bad guy was too immature for his movie, which is funny because immature is the first word I'd use to describe what we got from this movie.

The problem wasn't even that it was dark/brooding - it was just a bad movie and had bad writing and characters. It was a lazy trash pile. I think some people who don't watch as many movies will give it a pass because it isn't cartoonishly, hilariously bad like The Room or something, but I think the mundane, lackluster film we got here is much worse.

Spoiler: show
The scene where they fight Superman after he comes back to life is seriously a new low for DC - monumentally stupid shit. Just so sloppy and poorly done, obviously just done to pad out the runtime.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:09 pm 

I almost want to watch Justice League because of how bad it sounds. I watched half of Batman Vs. Superman on an airplane a while ago and almost enjoyed it for how terrible it was, but that wore off and I had to fastforward the last hour+ of the movie. I didn't see Suicide Squad but heard it was even worse but worth watching because of how unbelievably bad it is. I guess DC movies might end up being kinda like massive-budget B movies, like the kind you put on when you're drunk with friends and want something bad to laugh at.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:12 pm 

Well, considering the pre-Nolan DC movies were mixed bags anyway (Donner and Burton did good-great, Schumacher and others not so much)? Nothing's really changed.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:17 pm 

I had basically the same thought as Razakel - they kinda are like huge budget shitty B movies. Suicide Squad in particular was almost unbelievably stupid and ridiculous. They were always a mixed bag but the newer ones do have that kind of schlocky feel due to the hamminess and the way they are cobbled together to try and ape Marvel.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:42 pm 

Razakel wrote:
I almost want to watch Justice League because of how bad it sounds. I watched half of Batman Vs. Superman on an airplane a while ago and almost enjoyed it for how terrible it was, but that wore off and I had to fastforward the last hour+ of the movie. I didn't see Suicide Squad but heard it was even worse but worth watching because of how unbelievably bad it is. I guess DC movies might end up being kinda like massive-budget B movies, like the kind you put on when you're drunk with friends and want something bad to laugh at.

It's really not that bad, it's more just not good. The sort of movie you feel cheated you out of $15 and 2 hrs of your time.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 685, 686, 687, 688, 689, 690, 691 ... 818  Next