Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:33 pm 

The new Suspiria actually looks pretty decent...

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:43 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
I think I actually have a metal Optimus somewhere, definitely missing a lot of parts though.

My parents would only buy me Go Bots. As far as I remember I never owned any G1 Transformers.

What a poor, deprived child I was growing up.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:46 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
I think I actually have a metal Optimus somewhere, definitely missing a lot of parts though.

HAND that shit over.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:38 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I'll check that out later.

Garage sales isn't the answer I was hoping for. Well, looks like that's me fucked. I would like to own an original, non-plastic Optimus Prime, but I don't think I'm willing to put in the work as I am a lazy shit.

The original still had plastic pieces, but I know what you mean. Back when they had die-cast metal parts. I have two of those Optimus Primes. One is complete, the other is just the semi cab.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:01 am 

What's you guys' take on Castle Freak?

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:24 pm 

It's alright. I'm not big on Full Moon in general, but if Stuart Gordon is in the director's chair then you know you're getting something at least halfway decent.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:40 pm 

Anyone looking forward to Hereditary? I liked the trailer quite a bit, which is a good sign as trailers I've liked in the past were also movies I liked afterwards too.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:57 am 

Deadpool 2 was super fun. The two mid-credits scenes were worth the price of admission alone, even though I watched it in godawful 4D (never doing that again, ever).

Spoiler: show
Dubstep's for P U S S I E S :guns:

Looking forward to the Gunnm movie, and hoping that it doesn't suck ass like GitS.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:45 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Anyone looking forward to Hereditary? I liked the trailer quite a bit, which is a good sign as trailers I've liked in the past were also movies I liked afterwards too.

I'll give it a go, although honestly I'm quite cynical and pessimistic when it comes to supernatural/demonic movies now, although seeing it described as the "modern Exorcist" or whatever does excite me I'll admit.

Re Suspiria, another one I'll excitedly be checking out, but I think it'll be difficult to replicate the whole feel of the original. One thing I would have really wanted was them to have got Goblin to score it, but that's probably a highly improbable request.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:06 am 

kingnuuuur wrote:
Looking forward to the Gunnm movie, and hoping that it doesn't suck ass like GitS.

I have high hopes for it. James Cameron's been wanting for make it for, what, 17 years now? He's gonna treat his baby with care.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:05 am 

Geostorm- not nearly as bad as I had read about with some cool disaster scenes.
Pacific Rim 2- watched the action scenes, which were pretty good, though it felt geared towards preteens.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:58 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
kingnuuuur wrote:

I have high hopes for it. James Cameron's been wanting for make it for, what, 17 years now? He's gonna treat his baby with care.

I don't know, man. Makaku doesn't look anywhere near as monstrous and intimidating as in the manga, and I'll be very surprised if this ends up an R-rated movie, considering the level of violence and cruelty in the source material. I guess it's better to not have any high hopes going in.

James Cameron also had Avatar in the pipeline for 15 years, and the only things that movie had going for it were the world-building and the CGI. It'll be interesting to see if the Scrapyard and the sewers receive equal treatment.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:53 pm 

Avatar was also an original story (always a gamble in terms of quality), whereas Battle Angel Alita has a source material we already know is good.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:24 pm 

kingnuuuur wrote:
and I'll be very surprised if this ends up an R-rated movie, considering the level of violence and cruelty in the source material.

With how well both Deadpool movies and Logan have done, as well as Cameron's track record of churning out hits, if he wants it R? It's R.

darkeningday wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:29 am 

Hereditary is a modern masterpiece and very much a spiritual sister-film to The VVitch. If you loved one you'll love the other.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:09 am 

Yeah it was really something else. The levels it takes everything are excessive but fucking glorious and insane, and it's addictive in just how it keeps coming at you. It wasn't terribly unique as a story, but the directing and acting are fucking flawless and it's just such an intense film that leaves an impact on you.

And it was a happy ending - he became king!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:58 pm 

Hahah I LOVED the ending.

I'm glad you dug it man. I was reading negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes last night and getting steamed!

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:39 pm 

Prepare to get even more steamed.

I've rarely seen a movie with such an incredible first half fall so hard on its face like that. Using the concept of grief and mental illness as a backing to the story worked wonderfully and then it devolves into SPOOOOKYYYYYY STORRRRRYYYYYY garbage. Cut a half hour off and it's a really, really solid horror film. Keep it as is? I laughed my ass off and then got mad at how patronizing its closing moments were.

5/10, get rid of the lazy ghost story second half and dumb dumb dumb LET US SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU ending and it's 8/10

darkeningday wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:27 pm 

Nah you're clearly not a moron or bot. A bunch of them said they didn't understand the plot or ending. They really do spell it all out for you.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:42 pm 

They spell it all out and then retreat as though they've crafted something brilliant. It's basically the same plot as Lords of Salem with worse cinematography and scoring but way better acting. It was clear the focus was on the first half, establishing the family and their dynamic, and that the legitimate horror elements took a backseat. It's such a damn shame, too, because Toni Colette gives the performance of her life and then clearly stops caring.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:57 pm 

I thought it was well executed enough that I didn't care so much that it was a pretty standard ending. I was into it. It wasn't a perfect film because it did dip into a rather well-worn trope for its ending, but it was so well done and way better than any other recent movie like it, even ones I also enjoyed like House of the Devil and such. It was essentially what The Ritual was trying at, but this did it better. I thought it worked.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:01 pm 

Yeah I mean, I wanted there to be ghosts and witches. I like the way they executed that in a modern setting. Without that you're left with..what? Like a tragic family drama? Wouldn't be the same for me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:04 pm 

It was marketed as some kind of really different sort of horror movie though, which makes it seem disingenuous since it's essentially a celebration of horror tropes done very well. So I can get being annoyed at that a bit. But I love stories like this and it was well-executed as I said, so I didn't care too much.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:31 pm 

It's not even a celebration of horror tropes as much as it's a very, very good family drama concerning grief and inherited disease that decides to randomly say "and here's a ghost thing." The drama was superb, the horror was subpar.

darkeningday wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 pm 

Did you like The VVitch? Just curious!

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:11 pm 

Hated it. I found it boring and pretentious.

darkeningday wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:22 pm 

Roger that! At least you're consistent hahha. It's one of my favorites ever but I don't know nothin'.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:30 am 

Haven't watched Hereditary, but loved The VVitch and A Quiet Place, so yeah acid_bukkake, can't say I agree with most of your takes on horror movies either :-P 's good though. Horror is a special genre, and I love how what works so little for some can be outright chilling for others.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:35 am 

Hereditary was fucking amazing. Basically Rosemary's Baby with elements of The Shining and the emotional intensity of Antichrist. The thing is, it works perfectly well as a family drama too - all of its themes of mental illness and toxic family relationships are valid and recognizable, it just so happens that Grandma was into some particularly unusual stuff.

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say this is going to be looked back on as the best horror movie of this decade.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:55 am 

Not when it has an audience rating hovering around 50% on RT. Or in a world where The Void exists.

darkeningday wrote:

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:23 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Not when it has an audience rating hovering around 50% on RT.

Proving once again that the average theater-goer doesn't know shit about movies.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:48 pm 

Or, conversely, that it's not as great as people are making it out to be. Again, that first half IS incredible and Toni Colette really flexes her acting muscles, but a lame ending and laughable scares brings it down. A lot.

darkeningday wrote:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:21 pm 

I haven't seen Hereditary yet but The Witch (which it's being compared to) also got divisive audience scores and it's far and away the best horror movie in recent years IMO.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:15 pm 

It's interesting to me how radically different this stuff hits us. I thought The Void was a super-fun love letter to some legendary shit like The Thing and Cronenberg in general, but ultimately I thought they showed too much at the end and it got REALLY cornball. I loved a lot of things about the journey but the ending literally put me to sleep.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:44 pm 

I actually kind of loved how The Void continued getting crazier and crazier. The ending was ridiculous, but I dunno, I went with it.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:37 pm 

I really enjoyed the movie as a whole but I was let down by the final "form" of the villain or whatever you want to call him. I needed him either way more monstrous looking, or completely the other way. He looked like something the Power Rangers would fight to me.

Seriously dug the movie though. The pacing was great and the people outside in white robes made everything so ridiculously ominous.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:02 pm 

Horror is always gonna be a polarizing genre. I feel like everyone always has such different opinions about this shit. Look at any time The Exorcist comes up in this fucking thread. The Witch, It Follows and now Hereditary are all near flawless to me and they're polarizing audience-wise. Horror, like comedy, seems to be much more about raw emotion and how it makes you feel, even more than other genres and even though art in general is about this stuff.

The Void was great, but it didn't really hit me like those three I listed did. I liked it more as a schlocky, fun gore-fest.

Well, and also, a lot of stuff isn't well liked early on and is recognized more later. Who knows what's going to happen, but I hardly think some negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes have sealed anything yet.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:09 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Not when it has an audience rating hovering around 50% on RT. Or in a world where The Void exists.

To be fair, everyone hated The Thing when it came out. Same goes for many other seminal horror works.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:31 pm 

I didn't think the ending in Hereditary was bad in the least, I loved it and thought all the scares worked fine. Also I couldn't care less about its audience rating being 50% or whatever. It has a me rating of 100%.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:45 pm 

Well, I loved Orphan for its excellent drama scenes and readily forgave its milquetoast-to-crappy horror stuff, so Hereditary sounds right up my alley. Rosemary's Baby is probably my favorite horror film.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 704, 705, 706, 707, 708, 709, 710 ... 818  Next