Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:10 pm 

I loved Hard Target as well. But the first JCVD movie that left an impression on me for life was... 'Universal Soldier I'. Man, that movie kicked so much ass.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:01 pm 

Django Unchained has officially dethroned Kill Bill as my favorite Tarantino movie. Holy shit, that movie is quite possibly the most perfect movie I've seen in at least 5 or 6 years. There were no wrongs about it; only gloriously inglourious rights (see what I did there?). Every single person involved with this movie deserves an Oscar and free head.

If you have not seen this movie yet, SEE IT. FUCKING SEE IT. RIGHT NOW.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:42 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
ObservationSlave wrote:
I just saw Gangster Squad today. I enjoyed it. The plot wasn't anything special, but I liked the acting and was surprised by the large amount of humor. I thought that Gosling and Brolin did excellent jobs along with the guy who played Mickey.

He's named Sean Penn and he won 2 best actor Oscars... Kinda weird that you can name Gosling or Brolin but not Penn. :grumble:

I am terrible with actors names. I had actually never seen Gosling in a movie before that. Brolin I had seen in No Country for Old Men and I have heard of Penn, but I don't believe I have seen him in anything before. I could also blame it on my age or laziness to look his name up.

Star-Gazer
Trust and you'll be trusted

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:48 pm 

Gruesome Twosome (1967) 3.5/5 {*}
When some college-age girls go missing, their friends start to investigate when the police aren't much help. The focus appears to be on an address which leads the investigators to a home occupied by and elderly lady and her mentally-challenged son. The lady runs a wig business and it is learned her son kills and scalps young ladies to help his mom's business. Pretty funny with good gore. Watch with 2000 Maniacs, Wizard of Gore, and Blood Feast.

Last edited by Star-Gazer on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:01 am 

If you want good Sean Penn watch At Close Range.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:02 am 

I re-watched Jackie Brown. It's definitely Tarantino's most underrated film. I never really knew why. it has an A-list cast and tt's much better than something like Kill Bill. It has more subtle moments than is expected from him too, and Pam Grier is wonderful. I love
Spoiler: show
how weird and dumb De Niro's character is and how he just snaps and shoots Bridget Fonda in cold blood in broad daylight. Everything wraps up brilliantly too and the soundtrack is insane. This movie is about characters first and doesn't really have that much action.
On another note, have any of you seen House of the Devil?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:10 am 

House of the Devil is pretty awesome. Good old blood curdling, slow-burning horror, though it does tend to feel kind of gimmicky with how much they try to recreate the 70s in its setting and the way life was back then. Would have been better if they'd just stuck it in a modern setting, more genuine perhaps. Still worth watching, as it's one of the better recreations of old school horror lately.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:15 am 

I love House of the Devil. Ti West is generally someone I really enjoy, and considering that my current musical writings are very inspired by stuff like early 80s horror films such as House of the Devil, that only raises my appreciation for it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:17 am 

Didn't he also make Cabin Fever 2? And The Innkeepers was a great romantic comedy...but a terrible horror movie. Hopefully House of the Devil wasn't just a one-off thing.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:43 am 

rawsewage wrote:
If you want good Sean Penn watch At Close Range.

That was great. Of of my favorite performance of his is in Carlito's Way. Lots of amazing actors giving great performances in this one.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:34 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Didn't he also make Cabin Fever 2? And The Innkeepers was a great romantic comedy...but a terrible horror movie. Hopefully House of the Devil wasn't just a one-off thing.

He did, but it got re-edited by the producers and he's disowned it.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:26 am 

Azmodes wrote:
shouvince wrote:
But how does it compare to the Stallone movie?

Well, for starters it's much better. And there's no Rob Schneider. There are no satiric elements like in the comics (never read them, but so I've heard), and neither is it as plain goofy as the Stallone movie. It's a rather straight-forward, brutal, no-nonsense action flick with Karl Urban being a badass Dredd (DAT JAW) and Lena Headey delivering a solid, malicious villainess. "dystopian Die Hard", as BaloroftheEvilEye put it is pretty accurate. It's an entertaining and well-made movie. Period. Pity it didn't earn back its budget.

I watched it last night and I agree with you, Balor and the rest. I thought it was a really honest straight-forward portrayal of what a good action movie is supposed to be. I loved the scenes when the guys were on the 'slomo' drug as well. The violent scenes with the oodles of blood splatter were very delicious. Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable watch. Is it only me who is glad that Karl Urban didn't remove his helmet at all during the movie? He looks like too much of a nice guy to be Dredd.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:42 pm 

Rubber (4,5/5)
Awesome movie with kind of a surreal, 4th wall breaking plot that allows for some really clever satire about the art form. Hilarious and beautifully shot.

Iron Sky (4/5)
Funny. Has some super-memorable scenes and manages to be surprisingly intelligent despite being totally over the top.

Ghostquake (2/5)
Hilariously terrible and for the first half or so that made the movie entertaining, but after that when the novelty wore off it just got dumb and dragged for at least 30 minutes too long.

Empyreal wrote:
And The Innkeepers was a great romantic comedy...but a terrible horror movie.

I disagree with the first part of that sentence. I found the characters dumb and unlikable. But I barely paid attention to the film.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:14 pm 

Man Rubber was shit. Total waste of time. There was absolutely nothing about that movie that I found clever or anything; it was just weak and surprisingly boring.

Red Lights - 2.5/5

This was interesting at first, a sort of paranormal drama about scientists trying to debunk fake psychics in their spare time, and Sigourney Weaver is pretty damn good as the lead in the first half. Robert DeNiro, as the psychic legend from years ago making a return on the scene, is also quite good, which surprised me as he rarely has any screen presence anymore - but here he does pretty good. The problem here is Cillian Murphy, and not really his acting, though I wasn't wowed by it - the problem is his character is an ass, and I never really understood his motivations for anything he did. The first half of the movie is decent enough, and even kind of captivating, but the second half is just weak and directionless, and overall this was too much melodrama without actually saying anything.

The Raven - 3/5

I didn't expect anything from this, as it looked like crap, but while it's too simplistic and safe to capture the bizarre depravity of Poe's best known works, The Raven is a solid thriller anyway. There's nothing that exciting in this but it was decently entertaining and everyone seemed to have a fair bit of energy, which I liked - there was a lot of verve and attitude to this. The Raven drags on too long by about 20 minutes, but if you want a decent meat and potatoes thriller I could think of worse.

Patton - 5/5

A sweeping biopic that does what all biopics should - provide a great character study of the person in question while also giving the narrative of his life. George C. Scott gives probably the performance of his life in this as the titular Patton, a general out of time, an anachronism, a lover of war for the sake of fighting, because it is the highest honor a man can have. This is a long, long film and it still felt too short. Patton as the pure warrior who constantly butts heads with the bureaucratic authorities is a microcosm for a larger theme about the world as it is versus the world as it was, and foreshadowing the level of machinated warfare that we have now. This is a timeless classic relevant today politically, socially and just as a great film, and anyone who loves film has business seeing it.

Prometheus - 2.5/5

It is amazing how fast the quality of this drops after the first hour. At first I was like, OK, not bad, not bad...and Ridley Scott raised some interesting questions about religion and where man came from. That's all fine, as are the amazing visuals and stunning landscapes created - this is a very visually imaginative movie. But the film relies more on cheap action scenes and generic science fiction plot twists, and after the first hour it turns into a mess of unmemorable characters, bizarre scenes that don't really go anywhere and a sacrifice of intellectual quality in favor of smoke and mirrors. The ties to the Alien franchise are tenuous at best, and really what this amounts to is only a hair better than the kind of atrocious pacing and irritating writing that Scott's nadir of quality, Hannibal, possessed. Pretty fucking bad, all things considered.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:05 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Man Rubber was shit. Total waste of time. There was absolutely nothing about that movie that I found clever or anything; it was just weak and surprisingly boring.

Well there are two possibilities: Either you didn't get it or I have a terrible sense of humor. Guess which one I think it is.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:18 pm 

Knowing both your histories, it's both ;)

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:30 pm 

Might be seeing A Haunted House tonight with my girlfriend. May try and suffocate myself with a popcorn bucket.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:37 pm 

I just watched Django, and I have to say I didn't like it as much as I wanted to have liked it.
I'm definitely going to give it a second viewing before solidifying my opinion, but my first impression, even after considerable reflection, was that while it had a lot of good things going for it, it just didn't work as well as his other films. In the unusual event that someone would like me to expand as to why, I could oblige. Inglorious Basterds was far better, in my opinion.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:14 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
Might be seeing A Haunted House tonight with my girlfriend. May try and suffocate myself with a popcorn bucket.

Is she making you go to it? If so, you sad, sad fool.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:31 pm 

I used to laugh at my friends whose girlfriends and/or just girls they liked would drag them to terrible movies. "Dude, just say 'fuck that' and suggest a better movie, it's not that hard", I would say.

And then I saw half of Speed Racer.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:37 pm 

I don't date, so I thankfully have never suffered the indignity of said date or significant other dragging me to a terrible movie.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:38 pm 

My last girlfriend dragged me to The Help, which was ehhhhh...but not really bad or anything. The one before that got me to see Terminator Salvation, but to be fair I wanted to see it too at the time; didn't know it was gonna suck.

And Speed Racer. :lol: That movie was the reason I started doing long reviews of bad movies way back in 2008 or so.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
And Speed Racer. :lol: That movie was the reason I started doing long reviews of bad movies way back in 2008 or so.

It's the only movie I've ever walked out on :lol:. Once it started she turned to me and whispered "We don't have to watch this if you don't want to, ya know", to which I slowly turned and responded flatly "You put me in this position, it's my fault that I can't say 'no' to pretty girls, but you get to suffer through this with me". After about 45 minutes she was tugging on my arm, pleading "God Mike I'm sorry, I had no idea, please, let's go, please".
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:46 pm 

You should have stayed there and made her finish it with you as punishment. :lol:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:11 pm 

The Help looked pretty good, if a bit Oscar baity at times. Emma Stone never fails to disappoint, even in shitty movies, so there's at least that going for it. Speed Racer I've never seen, but I've seen a lot more people respond positively to it now than when it came out. It looks...alright? Not something I really have any interest in seeing, but it doesn't look atrociously horrible.

Also, Bastard's name is Mike? Didn't know that.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:46 pm 

shouvince wrote:
I think Hugh Jackman was born for Broadway and such roles. The guy is so fuckin' versatile.

The only thing I've liked Hugh Jackman in was The Prestige. He seemed okay in The Fountain, but I watched it from half-way in and couldn't make heads or tails of it. I would like Jackman more if he wasn't such a superhero whore, every time Wolverine pops up he's automatically got the role.

I saw the trailer of Les Miserables at the cinema before Skyfall and was tearing from laughter, I can not take it seriously, it just looks utterly ridiculous and the fact that they are trying to sing their lines with such conviction only amplifies it's comical appearance.

The only musical I genuinely like is Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:57 pm 

I'm a big musical person, both in films and the theater. That said, I really don't have an opinion on Les Miserables as I just don't care enough about the movie to watch it.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:00 pm 

It's a terrible movie.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:54 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
shouvince wrote:
I think Hugh Jackman was born for Broadway and such roles. The guy is so fuckin' versatile.

...the fact that they are trying to sing their lines with such conviction only amplifies it's comical appearance.

The only musical I genuinely like is Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory.

That! Yeah, that pretty much destroyed the movie for many people.

The only musicals I genuinely liked were West Side Story (1961 movie) and...Grease :oh shit:

Last edited by shouvince on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:15 am 

Subrick wrote:
xThe__Wizard wrote:

Is she making you go to it? If so, you sad, sad fool.

She wanted to see a movie and her taste in humor is a bit different then mine. Changed our minds and were going to see The Last Stand and then saw Gangster Squad instead which was pretty awesome because of Sean Penn.

Don't think I could walk out of a movie. I feel like I would need to watch it all or I would be wasting my money.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:17 am 

shouvince wrote:
The only musicals I genuinely liked was West Side Story (1961 movie) and...Grease :oh shit:

Grease is awesome. Music could be a bit more lively in places (for example, the music backing in Summer Days always felt really lazy to me, saved by the good singing from the two leads), but overall it's a damn great movie.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:22 am 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
[/quote]

When I read a review that said they shouldve called it Scary Movie 4.5, I knew even the R rating couldnt save it. Even sadder, Scary Movie 5 looks even worse, which makes nearly the same Paranormal Activity "jokes".

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:27 am 

Subrick wrote:
shouvince wrote:
The only musicals I genuinely liked was West Side Story (1961 movie) and...Grease :oh shit:

Grease is awesome. Music could be a bit more lively in places (for example, the music backing in Summer Days always felt really lazy to me, saved by the good singing from the two leads), but overall it's a damn great movie.

Haha yeah, Grease is awesome. I actually liked the songs and music in the movie. A guilty pleasure I suppose.

I initially wrote "...musical I genuinely liked was WSS" and then added 'Grease' on recollection and forgot to change the 'was' to 'were'. Damn you raytownian for getting me all conscious about grammar nazi-ing and shit!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:28 am 

They had the Scary Movie 5 trailer in front of Django Unchained. I very visibly stood up and flipped off the screen. Got a few laughs from the fellow theater patrons who equally hated it; I heard a few loud groans from the lower seats when the trailer started. The Cinema Snob said it best when he said it looks like Seltzer and Friedberg might as well have made it, because it looked EXACTLY like the kind of horrible shit they'd do.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:57 pm 

Good thing I didn't see the Scary Movie 5 trailer. Who keeps funding those movies?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:03 pm 

The general movie going audience, as people still turn out in droves for these fucking movies. A Haunted House has so far made almost $30 million I believe on a $2.5 million budget. All of Seltzer and Friedberg's movies have made almost $100 million aside from Disaster Movie, and even that still made at least $10 million for a profit. The only reason studios still fund all these hackjobs is because low rent, dipshit modern "comedy" parody films make an assload of money for them.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:30 pm 

You guys remember that movie Meet the Spartans? Same guys. THAT'S the audience they're gunning for. I remember going on someone's birthday (so thankfully I didn't pay) to see that movie, and wow was it awful. Probably the worst "comedy" I've ever seen. Then I had to see it again on the bus ride after boot camp going to my 4-month job training.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:44 pm 

I was in the theater with my dad and my brother for Meet the Spartans. Every time I looked over at my dad he had this scowl of pure discomfort on his face from the movie that he was being made to watch.

Also, Seltzer and Friedburg didn't make A Haunted House or Scary Movie 5, but as said earlier they both look like they very well might have in secret, as it reeks of their style and perpetual agonizing terribleness.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:57 pm 

Subrick wrote:
They had the Scary Movie 5 trailer in front of Django Unchained. I very visibly stood up and flipped off the screen.

Whoa dude, you're like... such a rebel. Really sticking it to the man. Go you.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:45 pm 

Haywire: so much talent involved in one of the dullest action movies I've ever seen. There's just nothing exciting about this paint-by-numbers thriller. Everything is predictable and visually unexciting. Gina Carrano can't act but she can sure kick ass. Seriously that's the only reason I watched it till the end. She beats THE SHIT out of some dudes man.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 377, 378, 379, 380, 381, 382, 383 ... 818  Next