Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:03 pm 

...oi, StryckenFromHistory isn't WebOfPiss now, is he? He definitely has the same... peculiar posting style.

Also, A Serbian Film is a shitty shock movie and I wouldn't use it as a quality bar for anything.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:48 am 

Yep, that's him.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:52 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Yep, that's him.

Dunkirk:
https://www.filmaffinity.com/en/film895384.html

Tha fuck was this SHIT? :scratch:

:nono:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:11 pm 

The Ritual, a new NF movie, is really good for 3/4 and then they just blow it all on a super corny reveal and ending. Yikes. A few genuinely creepy parts before they ruined it.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:33 pm 

I had a similar reaction to The Ritual, with a sense of mild disappointment about the ending of an otherwise solid movie. But the more I think about it, the more I agree with wrapping things up the way they did. It might be the type of movie I revisit weeks or months after my first watch and find the second viewing is better. Regardless, I liked

Spoiler: show
the design of the monster. I assumed the movie might be so low budget they wouldn't show it at all. But dammit that Scandinavian forest giraffe was surprisingly cool.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:17 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:

Dunkirk:
https://www.filmaffinity.com/en/film895384.html

Tha fuck was this SHIT? :scratch:

:nono:

Proof that you can get away with directing a Michael Bay film if you're auteur enough or some other pretentious excuse. Or maybe a constantly vibrating theater seat just made them see shit that isn't there in the same way that blasting someone with infrasound sometimes does.

One of the people I saw it with at one point muttered out loud that the only marine disaster missing from the film was a shark attack.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:38 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
I had a similar reaction to The Ritual, with a sense of mild disappointment about the ending of an otherwise solid movie. But the more I think about it, the more I agree with wrapping things up the way they did. It might be the type of movie I revisit weeks or months after my first watch and find the second viewing is better. Regardless, I liked

the design of the monster. I assumed the movie might be so low budget they wouldn't show it at all. But dammit that Scandinavian forest giraffe was surprisingly cool.

Hahah I hated the Jotunn-deer! It just didn't jive with what I had thought they were building up to. Call me old fashioned but I was looking for something more like The VVitch.

The scene in the first cabin, and them finding their friend naked, praying to that altar...wow. That shit HAD me.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:04 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
Proof that you can get away with directing a Michael Bay film if you're auteur enough or some other pretentious excuse. Or maybe a constantly vibrating theater seat just made them see shit that isn't there in the same way that blasting someone with infrasound sometimes does.
One of the people I saw it with at one point muttered out loud that the only marine disaster missing from the film was a shark attack.

Yeah, it was BAD. :thumbsdown:

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:32 pm 

Anyone comparing Dunkirk to a Michael Bay film has to be using hyperbole here. You may not have liked Dunkirk and I can understand not liking it (I did like it actually, pretty visceral experience in the theater), but it's no where near on the level of bad as Michael Bay. If you can say that, I reckon you haven't seen any Michael Bay films, or not any of his worst (is there even a distinction possible here?).

The Transformers film from 2017 was probably one of the top 10 worst films I've ever seen. Dunkirk doesn't even come close to that kind of bad.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:25 pm 

A Stupid and Futile Gesture on Netflix was good.

Lots of funny stories about National Lampoon and it was fun to see the actors they picked play Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield and others from that era.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:13 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
The Ritual, a new NF movie, is really good for 3/4 and then they just blow it all on a super corny reveal and ending. Yikes. A few genuinely creepy parts before they ruined it.

I watched this movie last night, and can attest to this completely. In fact, I think I could pinpoint exactly where the filmmakers probably ran out of money and inspiration. Quite a shame, as the first half of the movie is genuinely unsettling.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:24 pm 

Total fucking bummer right? That scene with the first cottage they bed down in...their friend upstairs...REALLY great stuff.

I wanted an ending a lot more like The VVitch.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:42 pm 

Agreed on "The Ritual," a more evil and ambiguous ending would have done this one some good. That gang upstairs in the hut where he was tied up and the end was quite intriguing too.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:58 pm 

We watched The Little Prince over the weekend. While I enjoyed the stop-motion animation, I found the CG animation to be largely identical to all other CG animation out there. Same keys, same cues, same flow, style, look, and feel. I suppose an argument could be made that they did this deliberately (such as making the "real" world drab and unfeeling) in order to make the stop-motion segments look more fantastical, but eh. Wasn't a huge fan of the "just believe" storytelling concept. So tired of this stuff.

Generally, though, not bad. More interesting for the mix of animation styles than the overall story. The film seems to have an unintentional message of "being different is bad, and this is how it will leave you separated from the rest of society and your peers."

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:20 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Total fucking bummer right? That scene with the first cottage they bed down in...their friend upstairs...REALLY great stuff.

I wanted an ending a lot more like The VVitch.

Man, what a great scene! The other characters had their own creepy night terrors, nothing incredibly over the top...and then you see the guy upstairs. I definitely got chills.

I think I kinda wanted an ending like The VVitch too, keep the occult horror and mysticism rollin'!

demonomania wrote:
That gang upstairs in the hut where he was tied up and the end was quite intriguing too.

That scene was just as unsettling as the part in the first cottage that Jonpo mentioned...when they
take the one guy upstairs and the other guy remains tied up below and has to listen to his friend getting raped/beaten/whatever they were doing to him...fuuuuuuck

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:55 pm 

Saw the new Cloverfield the other day, and while I don't think it was terrible, it just feels like a cheap Event Horizon rip off that's been shoehorned into the Cloverfield "universe". It wasn't creepy, or tense, and there wasn't the atmosphere that you'd expect from a claustrophobic space horror. Just watch Event Horizon instead.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:39 pm 

Spider-Man Homecoming - For most of this movie, I enjoyed it about as well as I could have given my diminishing interest in superhero movies in general and Spider-Man reboots in particular. I didn't even mind the constant reminders that Spidey is now in the Avengers universe. But by the big action-packed climax, this one lost me a bit. It just looked too cartoony. I still insist that the original 2002 Maguire / Dafoe fight was the best ending any Spider-Man movie has had, probably at least in part because it wasn't the CG extravaganza of the later ones.

Another thing I always whine about in the later movies compared to the Sam Raimi ones: I think it's so much cooler if the web shooters are part of his body, instead of some electronic gadget he made himself or (even worse) Tony Stark gave him. And I don't care if the Raimi way is less faithful to the comics.

Quote:
Saw the new Cloverfield the other day, and while I don't think it was terrible, it just feels like a cheap Event Horizon rip off that's been shoehorned into the Cloverfield "universe".

It seems I liked The Ritual more than most, but I'm on the same page about Cloverfield 3. Not awful, but a clear step down from 10 Cloverfield Lane I thought.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:30 pm 

I also liked The Ritual. Not the best horror movie of recent years, but solid enough.

And about the ending...

I was starting to worry partway through that it was just going to turn out that some inbred family was behind everything, so I was perfectly fine with the ancient Norse forest demon god bastard-son-of-Loki thing. Plus it looked pretty cool; loved the weird human torso coming out of its mouth.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:56 pm 

I got all excited about The Cloverfield Paradox after seeing the commercial after the Superbowl. Decent premise poorly executed, by people who don't know basic science, let alone science fiction. The less said about it, the better.

Tonight I suffered to watch Thor: Ragnarok, just in case there was something important to know about the upcoming Avengers movie. There isn't. Also, it is easily, hands down, the worst piece of shit Marvel has ever done. And I sat through an entire season of Iron Fist on Netflix. Worse than Guardians of the Galaxy, and that was a low bar. Though if you liked GG, then I can see you liking T:R. Exactly the same level of inanity. Also you're probably 6 years old.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:35 am 

I hated GotG 2 and most Marvel movies, but enjoyed the big-budget Doctor Who film--I mean, Thor: Ragnorak. It was stupid fun, if not quite stupidly fun. Jeff Goldblum can rock my world any day of the week.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:11 pm 

GTog wrote:
Tonight I suffered to watch Thor: Ragnarok, just in case there was something important to know about the upcoming Avengers movie. There isn't. Also, it is easily, hands down, the worst piece of shit Marvel has ever done. And I sat through an entire season of Iron Fist on Netflix. Worse than Guardians of the Galaxy, and that was a low bar. Though if you liked GG, then I can see you liking T:R. Exactly the same level of inanity. Also you're probably 6 years old.

I agree wholeheartedly, Ragnarok was straight up garbage. I've seen most of Marvel's "cinematic universe" films, and while not a huge fan of any of them, this one was by far the worst. I know it's a staple for Marvel, but the quips and light hearted one-liners really brought down the tone of the movie. As well, I really think they could've done a good Planet Hulk movie, instead of boiling it down to a sub plot in this one.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:13 pm 

Thor Ragnarok wasn't garbage, it just wasn't all that good either. A very average movie. The humor wasn't even the big letdown; it was the entirety of the "serious" plot that essentially just ripped off Hamlet as if that's still a new idea.

Ant Man is the only real piece of shit I've seen from the Marvel movies. Most of the others are fine to watch in theaters at least once.

Saw The Forest last weekend; what a piece of shit that was. Cliche trash horror with added racism in it with how stereotypically they portrayed the Japanese. Lazy, sloppy stuff and no good scares or interesting parts of the plot. You really start to wonder if these directors seriously think they're doing good and that these ideas are at all interesting anymore - it boggles the mind.

I, Tonya was great though. Super fun, stylish and snappy - the directing was quick and creative and it really reminds you how great a good directing job can be, really just bringing out the story so much better than a straightforward, utilitarian job would've. The story was one of American outcasts and weirdos, and how we treat celebrities, and it was rather timeless in those themes. Easily one of the best of last year.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:05 am 

Urban Legend - Passable post-Scream horror movie set at a college, with a killer using urban legends as his MO, and supporting roles for Robert Englund and Danielle Harris. The ending took me by surprise, although it got pretty ridiculous even by slasher standards. Probably won't bother with Urban Legends: Final Cut which is supposed to be worse.

Rough Night - The ads for this had me wondering if it was a gender flipped remake of Very Bad Things. Both are about a handful of friends who engage in a coverup when one accidentally kills a stripper at a bachelor(ette) party. But this was not as twisted or depraved in the way the situation escalated like it did in VBT. 5 out of 10, I guess.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:29 am 

Chinese Downhill wrote:
Another thing I always whine about in the later movies compared to the Sam Raimi ones: I think it's so much cooler if the web shooters are part of his body, instead of some electronic gadget he made himself or (even worse) Tony Stark gave him. And I don't care if the Raimi way is less faithful to the comics.

I agree with this. When the first Raimi movies came out, comic purists complained a great deal about "but muh web shooters" and it never really made sense to me. It was a good change, in my view, because it didn't waste any time in trying to explain where he would acquire the gear to make the damn thing. But it also makes narrative sense that webs can be secreted from his body, since it fits with the idea of him being a mutant.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:37 am 

The Cloverfield Paradox was a mess of a movie with an incoherent tone and a jumbled, confusing plot. But man did my friends and I have a shitload of fun mocking it the entire time. There were so many ridiculous things about this that it became entertaining. Definitely give it a watch if you want a laugh. Better than 10 Cloverfield Lane due to this alone.

Black Panther was a legit great film and one of the best superhero movies. On another level from most Marvel flicks I thought, for writing, characters and action - glossy and mainstream but also really exciting and interesting, not dumbing things down like some of these movies do. It's awesome that there's a black major superhero on screen now and that this film, unlike a lot of black-centric movies, is about a powerful, prosperous nation and has nothing to do with poverty, slavery, etc. Representation is important and not everything has to be the same type of leading man hero on screen; this was a refreshing change of pace. Wakanda is a fucking cool, fascinating place and the huge cast did an awesome job. I probably don't need to tell you to go see it.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:48 am 

Agree 100%. Black Panther was a fun, cool action movie.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:02 am 

I'd never heard of Black Panther before the Captain America: Civil War movie and to be honest I'm not all that interested in him, but the hype is so out of this world that I'll see it before it leaves theaters.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:48 pm 

I don't know what Black Panther is, I've only seen 4 Marvel movies, and I only think one of them was good. Is the movie different enough that I should see it anyway?

For reference, the movies were Iron Man 1 & 2, Avengers 1, and Strange; and the first Iron Man is the only one I really enjoyed.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:34 pm 

Honestly, I thought it was good, but not the best Marvel film or even in the running. It's a little different from the rest, but I didn't think it was particularly far off of Marvel's template, and I thought the plot was a little basic/underwhelming.

To Earthcubed specifically, it's better than all of those except the first Iron Man (I'd entertain an argument though since I'm not as fond as most). If the tickets aren't too high around you, there are far worse ways to kill two-and-a-half hours.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:16 pm 

Yeah, I agree StainedClass95 on Black Panther. OG Iron Man, The Winter Soldier, Guardians Of The Galaxy and Thor: Ragnorok are still top of the chain for me. I still fucking love Iron Man 3 because Shane Black is an incredible director/writer and The Mandarin is so fucking good.

Black Panther was a letdown in many respects but great in some others. Beyond the car chase scene and Okoye's fight scene in the casino, most fights were either dreadfully choreographed, or utilized poor CG. Did they learn nothing from The Winter Soldier and Civil War? I get the directors are different, but goddamn. Black Panther looked awesome when he scrapped with Bucky on the rooftop in Civil War. And in The Winter Soldier, the fight scenes had some room to breath. Here? If you can manage to tell the CG characters apart, all you'll see is a cartoon-style clusterfuck. I ain't even mad there's not that much action. I just wish it was more exciting. Also, pacing issues aren't new to Marvel. Black Panther has a long first act, no second act and then a fast third act.

I think the world they created is super interesting, and Killmonger is one of the best things about that. It's unfortunate that they don't push his arc farther. There's an interesting story to be told beyond the final directive at the end. The costuming is cool and I wanted to see more of the inner-turmoil of the various groups. They skim over this stuff in favor of T'Challa's own "coming to grips" story, which feels flat. Back on the Killmonger thing, Marvel has really struggled with having a bad-guy-of-the-week villain in the non-ensemble movies be something other than fodder or have a half-arc before being beaten or discarded. Bucky Barnes is the exception because he's so important, and pulling from such a personal place is what made Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 work, even if that film suffers from pacing issues as well. Killmonger attempts to break out of that space, but can't because the most interesting story to be told is when his directive at the end is fulfilled.

Wakanda is ultra-important to the Marvel history, and I think it needs to be seen on those merits alone, but it's an average-as-hell Marvel movie.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:34 am 

This one and The Winter Soldier are the only ones I'd say are genuinely great flicks. The other ones are fun popcorn movies that were good for a night out at the movie theater, not much else.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:56 am 

I will forever maintain that both Guardians of the Galaxy movies are the one...two truly great 10/10 Marvel movies. Though I haven't seen Black Panther yet, so we'll see about that one when I see it.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:06 am 

Guardians Of The Galaxy's emotional weight and bonding through the entire film is the best thing the cinematic universe has produced, bar none.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:12 am 

Eh, I enjoyed them as fun bursts of color and action and they were generally well made - but I never really had a need to go back to them after seeing them in theaters.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:12 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Guardians Of The Galaxy's emotional weight and bonding through the entire film is the best thing the cinematic universe has produced, bar none.

Can't disagree with that. The end of Guardians 2 was honestly heart-wrenching.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:55 am 

Holy nuts, Teeth is on Netflix! You now officially have no choice but to watch the best feminist horror film ever made!

Watch it, now. Especially if you're male. It will scare the living shit out of you. Seriously.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:54 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Eh, I enjoyed them as fun bursts of color and action and they were generally well made - but I never really had a need to go back to them after seeing them in theaters.

I'm a Chris Pratt fan, but even he couldn't save GOTG for me.

By far my least favorite of the Marvel movies.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:18 am 

I thought Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was a big step down from the original. Maybe part of that was my lack of effort avoiding spoilers, so for the first hour to 90 minutes I kept waiting for the reveal that

Kurt Russell was the villain.

The movie never seemed like it had any momentum. It was just scene after scene of little moments that were supposed to provoke one kind of reaction (that's cool, that's funny, that's touching, etc.), but usually had me bored.

Quote:
Holy nuts, Teeth is on Netflix!

When I saw that years ago I thought it was kind of a one trick pony, although its one trick is something I hadn't seen in a movie before so I had to give it points for originality.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:39 am 

Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 is great, but the pacing is all over the place because of the nature of the antagonist. I'm not sure how Star Lord will factor into Infinity War after the events of GOTG2, but it seems like they needed to tell that story before we got to their introduction in Infinity War because it will probably factor into it in a big enough way. Thor: Ragnarok did a very similar thing—found a way to amp up the protagonists power as we get closer to the Infinity War story.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:39 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:

Quote:
Holy nuts, Teeth is on Netflix!

When I saw that years ago I thought it was kind of a one trick pony, although its one trick is something I hadn't seen in a movie before so I had to give it points for originality.

It's been on Netflix for a little while. I watched it a few months ago.

I think it's more than a one-trick pony, though. I think the star, Jess Weixler, does a phenomenal job with her character arc from innocent and ignorant, to horrified and disappointed by the way so many men approach sex and women, to acceptance and being, eh, "accepting" of using her body to put douchebags in their place. I've grown tired of "rape as character development" in storytelling, but this film at least uses it well.

That she's actually not a threat to a guy's dick when she's treated like a human being and with respect was a nice touch, and it was only when her trust was violated that a guy was endangered.

There's a humanist quality to the story, overall, that I think elevates it well above the one-trick pony joke of "hurr hurr vag with teeth." In highlighting how we treat one another, and the frequently subtle ways people fail to behave with even basic human decency, the movie succeeds quite well. Not a single lopped dick didn't have it coming. Sure a lot of double entendres in that sentence.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 694, 695, 696, 697, 698, 699, 700 ... 818  Next