Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:54 am 

This is mostly for us Americans and some Canadians, I'm sure, but with oil prices gouging the crap out of our economy, Alaska has come back into view more and more often as a place with loads of untapped oil.

The staunch environmentalists say "no way" to drilling for new oil in Alaska as it would "damage the ecosystem" and "threaten the polar bear."

The polar bear, by the way, has populations in the 20,000's--more than double what it had in the 1960's. On top of which, apparently, populations of elk and other wildlife have flourished and grown since the major pipeline was built all those years ago.

It's become an economics vs. environmentalist kind of war.

I'm sure this will come as no surprise to many, but I have to side with the economists here. The US is heading headlong into a recession. The politicians have allowed Arab oil barrons to gouge and price us into the poorhouse for gas. On top of which, if elected, both Hillary and Obama want to raise taxes and the local politicians in my state (Minnesota) have actually already added a hefty gas tax--and they're talking about more taxes. This is doubly upsetting since we're run by Republicans right now and they are elected to reduce taxes, not make them worse!

In my view, nature will learn to live around us. A few oil drilling plants isn't going to upset that damn much of a massive state like Alaska. We need to reduce our dependancy on foreign oil, and we need to bring these costs down. I say, get in, get the oil, get out. The sooner the better. Drill it all up and give the region back to the polar bears and seals and snow.

I'm all for conservation of our natural environments, but at the same time, we need to focus on human economic conservation, as well. And right now, that's becoming a bigger issue. A few drilling stations won't disrupt the natural flow of things up there, in fact, the pipeline was designed not to interfere at all with the surrounding nature.

The other thing is, the way I see it, it's only a matter of time before the go-ahead is given to drill up all that oil. Eventually, the US as such an oil-centric nation, will have no other choice. It's another reason I think we should get in, get the oil, get out--and do it fast. Get it over and done so that any damage that the natural environment incurs will be able to recover sooner.

Thulsa_Doom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:09 pm 

A far bigger concern against it is that I read some articles and basically extracting oil from Alaska would take almost a decade before it would hit the market, and also the fact that the oil could only account for 5%, at best, of America's consumption. It just doesn't seem worth the expense.

I think its time for humanity to focus on more renewable energy sources. Regardless of your views on man-made global warming, I don't think anyone can seriously argue that the man caused extinction of species is a good thing. Furthermore, it makes much more sense to rely on a renewable energy source than a corrosive, non renewable one.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:26 pm 

Would you happen to know just how much oil we have up there, and perhaps how far that would get us?
I remember this issue being debated seven years ago, didn't hear much more about it until recently.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:08 pm 

I agree that the environmental argument isn't a very good reason not to drill in Alaska. Alaska is huge, so I'd imagine that there should be plenty of space for wildlife. If I understand correctly, the area where drilling was planned was only a fraction of the national park area in Alaska. However, I don't really know anything about how much oil we could extract and whether or not it would be cost-effective, so I can't form any conclusive opinion on the subject.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:08 pm 

I think the arguments that "yeah well, Alaska is huge, it couldnt possibly hurt things that much" isnt a very substantial opinion to take on the situation. Unless you are a Geologist then I dont think you can honestly have any sort of real, credible estimation as to the damage that could be done by drilling for the oil in Alaska.

Secondly, as I'm sure many have noticed, over the last half year or so, 'going green' has really come into the spotlight. We're running out of oil and we need to work as hard as possible to get completely off it. So far steps have been taken in the production of Hybrid cars that take a minimal amount of gas, which is good. But the fact of the matter is that there is so much money to be made from the remaining oil. Its costing us more at the pump while at the same time, these companys are making more money than they know what to do with. Instead of completel focusing on getting off Oil, you can bet your asses that they will use up every last drop to make that last buck.

In summary, I think we need to be focusing more on what we can do to stop our depencency on oil as opposed to fighting over whether or not we can fuck up Alaskas eco system so we can continue our precious way of life, which by the way, is also contributing to Global Warming as well, another reason to focus our attention on going green.

Osmium
The Hateful Raven

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:19 pm 

The desire for oil independence from OPEC is a geopolitical one, and one that I support. High fuel prices hurt the economy, so investing in drilling at home seems like a wise idea.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:22 pm 

Drilling oil IS a messy process that isn't as easy as going in, taking what we need, and getting out. I am in for both environmental reasons and economic reasons, but we have to push for alternative sources because that is our best chance for both environmental and economic solutions.

In the case of drilling, the amount of oil will only last for a couple years before the US drains most of it. Then again, I read that out of an AP Environmental Science book, which is completely biased towards going green. Nonetheless, they still brought up good points, but it all remains clear that we have to cut out our dependence for oil NOW. The fuckers who aren't complying are the oil companies, obviously.

OPEC can suck a fat dick, except Indonesia (cause they got Orangutans), United Arab Emirates (cause of Dubai), and Venezuela (cause of you're recent Miss Venezuelas)
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:34 pm 

I have read conflicting reports all over about the amount of oil in Alaska and the benefit of drilling. It is not exactly something I hold a great deal of interest in so my knowledge is limited.

I will say this however...

If it is decided that enough of the product (oil that is) can be extracted and would be beneficial for a long term and the ONLY thing stopping us would be hippies screaming shit like "save the polar bears" then by all means fire up the drills and lets get that juice out of the ground.

In a nut shell the only way I would be against it is if in the long run it would not help us economically. Honestly I could care less what they do to the environment up there.

EOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:50 pm 

I agree, economics is going to win out. Thulsa_Doom is right though, it's going to take upwards to a decade to get that oil out on the market. So, there is no quick fix for this problem. Politicians want to stop filling the strategic petroleum reserve and get that out on the market, but I doubt it will have that much effect on gas prices (probably less than a dollar). Then what are they going to do when we really have some type of crisis that causes oil prices to go even higher due to lack of supply? It just seems extremely short-sighted. However, I think oil prices should cool down sometime soon for a few reasons. First, we have to understand why oil prices have gone up so much in the recent years. The reasons are quite simple: demand (coming from developing nations from the Middle and Far East as well as some nations in South America and where ever else), the decline of the dollar (caused by expansion of the money supply and both foreign and domestic investors diversifying out of the dollar), and speculation. (I do not believe oil companies are price gouging; but if they are, and it's found out, then obviously that can bring the price down a little). I think demand will ease as prices get to high, and I think China has really gone after oil because the Olympics are coming up, but after that I expect the demand from China to become slightly less. Also, the dollar has been very oversold, and oil has been very overbought, which are great technical reasons for those trends to reverse in the short and intermediate term. However, if the dollar doesn't rally, and oil speculation does not give out soon, that would problably mean we're headed for a currency crisis and oil would be in full-blown bubble mode. That would be ugly.

Edit: I think and hope crude will retreat to 90 bucks on such a correction I'm expecting. /edit

As for Democrats raising taxes on oil even more, and implementing a cap-n-trade system, that is destined to be extremely painful. I doubt they'll be able to get away with it when push comes to shove. I don't think clean, reusable energy like solar and wind is a viable alternative right now. If you think we can power the entire world with just solar and wind energy anytime soon, you're delusion. I think it will be at least half a century, if not a total century, until the majority of our energy comes from solar and wind. I see us moving toward more nuclear energy and clean coal soon, with solar, wind, geothermal, hydroelectric etc. supplying energy on the side.

Noobbot
Mors_Gloria + Thesaurus

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:17 pm 

Thulsa_Doom wrote:
A far bigger concern against it is that I read some articles and basically extracting oil from Alaska would take almost a decade before it would hit the market, and also the fact that the oil could only account for 5%, at best, of America's consumption. It just doesn't seem worth the expense.

I think its time for humanity to focus on more renewable energy sources. Regardless of your views on man-made global warming, I don't think anyone can seriously argue that the man caused extinction of species is a good thing. Furthermore, it makes much more sense to rely on a renewable energy source than a corrosive, non renewable one.

Oi, oi. We need to remove our lips from the bloody chalice of oil, and seek something else to satisfy our energy appetites and requirements. It's no longer viable in anyway to continue down the current path - environmentally, economically, or politically.

Unfortunately, with the petrol industry being as monstrous as it is, and controlling as much of the flow of wealth and research as they do, and securing the patents/rights to anything that might jeopardize their profits, I don't see the reign of oil ending for quite some time. Hopefully I'm wrong.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:18 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Drilling oil IS a messy process that isn't as easy as going in, taking what we need, and getting out. I am in for both environmental reasons and economic reasons, but we have to push for alternative sources because that is our best chance for both environmental and economic solutions.

In the case of drilling, the amount of oil will only last for a couple years before the US drains most of it. Then again, I read that out of an AP Environmental Science book, which is completely biased towards going green. Nonetheless, they still brought up good points, but it all remains clear that we have to cut out our dependence for oil NOW. The fuckers who aren't complying are the oil companies, obviously.

OPEC can suck a fat dick, except Indonesia (cause they got Orangutans), United Arab Emirates (cause of Dubai), and Venezuela (cause of you're recent Miss Venezuelas)

I read that Alaska has about 10 billion barrels worth, and that America consumes about 21 million a say. I would say that based on this, it wouldn't last us too long.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:21 am 

TheJizzHammer wrote:
I read that Alaska has about 10 billion barrels worth, and that America consumes about 21 million a Day. I would say that based on this, it wouldn't last us too long.

If that is so, then there is a fuckload of oil on the planet. I honestly didn't know there was THAT much.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:26 am 

Drilling the tar sands is not economically viable right now. The EROEI isn't high enough.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:06 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
TheJizzHammer wrote:
I read that Alaska has about 10 billion barrels worth, and that America consumes about 21 million a Day. I would say that based on this, it wouldn't last us too long.

If that is so, then there is a fuckload of oil on the planet. I honestly didn't know there was THAT much.

Yeah, and I didn't know the US sucked down so much fucking oil. Holy shizit.

It may be a quick fix, but it'll all run out eventually.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:22 am 

Without taking any stand on the Alaska issue, I want to point out that all the new "big" fields found in the recent years have been smaller than what people think. Many of them have been extremely difficult to drill (deep seas, arctic areas), expensive and environmentally awful (tar sands), and most of them, in the final analysis, have enough oil for a few months of global consumption. That is the case with Alaska's fields: too little to really have an impact, expensive to extract and refine, and environmentally questionable.

There is a huge amount of oil left on the planet, but most of it is too expensive to use. That's the idea behind peak oil; the oil won't run out, but it gets too expensive to drill and use.

Oil will never again be cheap in the traditional sense, and China's demand has very little to do with the Olympics. They will drive their cars in the future, too, Olympics or no Olympics.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:27 am 

That is precisely the point. The theory behind "EROEI" or "energy returned on energy invested" is that a source of energy must maintain at LEAST a 2:1 ratio of EROEI to even be considered a valid source of energy to begin with. The reason we don't dig the tar sands right now is because it is not economically intelligent to do it, as the EROEI rate for those oil reserves is far lower than what we are getting in other places.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:29 am 

There is a major problem that seems to be overlooked a lot when it comes to oil and that is that it is still the most effecient and cost-effective energy source. It's more than twice as effecient as ethanol, it burns cleaner than coal, and the thing most people don't seem to know--oil is burned to make hydrogen cells and other technologies in hybrid cars. Cars that run on ethanol routinely fail emissions tests that gas-powered cars pass. The batteries used in electric/hybrid cars are actually more dangerous to the environment than burned oil--granted this is largely due to the the toxic chemicals inside the batteries which may leak into the environment upon disposal--if disposal isn't carried out in a responsible manner.

Wind and solar are good ideas, but as of now, neither generate nearly enough electricity for the cost. Two of the most effective energy sources are hydroelectric and nuclear, but there are now so many regulations in various places (California for instance) that actually prevent building new nuclear plants.

Here's an article from the London Times showing that Hybrid cars aren't all they're cracked up to be:

Eco-friendly claims for ‘hybrid’ cars dismissed as gimmickry
Lewis Smith, Environment Reporter (May 19, 2008)

Cars promoted as eco-friendly were criticised yesterday for pumping out up to 56 per cent more carbon dioxide than the manufacturers claim.

Three models, including the Honda Civic hybrid, performed so badly in tests that their environmental claims were dismissed as a gimmick.

A further five vehicles, including Volkswagen’s Polo BlueMotion, hailed as Britain’s greenest car when it was claimed that it emitted less than 100 grams of CO2 per km (g/km), failed to match the claims made by their makers.

Road tests were carried out by Auto Express magazine, which accused manufacturers of attempting to cash in on concerns about global warming.

David Johns, the magazine’s editor, said that demand for eco-friendly cars was rising rapidly but it could be hard for consumers to determine what was “truly green or just pure gimmick”.

Almost a quarter of new cars now claim a CO2 rating of less than 140g/ km. Those with a figure below 120g/ km accounted for one in 20 sales last year – it is thought that there would have been more, given a better supply.

Cars with CO2 emission figures below 100g/km qualify for a free band A tax disc. Band B cars emitting up to 120g/km pay only £35 annual vehicle excise duty a year, compared with £400 for band G vehicles that emit more than 225g/km.

The Honda Civic hybrid, regarded widely as one of the lowest emitting cars, performed the worst in the tests.

Instead of the 109g/km of CO2 claimed in the makers’ specifications, it was found to put out 171g/km. The testers said its electric motor was “not strong enough to propel the oddball four-door Civic on its own” and they concluded that the vehicle “failed to match the firm’s economy claims”.

The second car labelled a gimmick was the Lexus GS450h, leased by David Cameron, the Conservative leader. It managed fuel consumption of 26.7 miles per gallon (mpg) in the road test compared with the claimed 35.8 mpg – meaning higher carbon emissions. Diesel rivals were said to “produce similar emissions and better economy”.

Skoda’s Fabia Greenline was condemned because its emissions were higher than two other less bulky super-minis that use the same 1.4 litre diesel engine – the Polo BlueMotion and Seat’s Ibiza ECOmotive.

Auto Expressdescribed carbon emissions as “the yardstick by which a car’s ‘greenness’ is measured,” and said that environmental concerns now made a difference in the car market.

Nevertheless, the testers were impressed by the technological innovations introduced to cut CO2 and said five cars tested could be considered “green” despite fuel consumption – and, consequently, emissions – failing to live up to official figures.

The five were Ford’s Focus ECOnetic, the Mini Cooper Clubman D, VW Polo BlueMotion, Seat Ibiza ECOmotive and Toyota Prius.

Official figures for cars are based on laboratory tests conducted by the manufacturers themselves, importers or independent test engineers. They are a selling point in adverts and are listed by the Department for Transport’s Vehicle Certification Agency in its consumer guide to 365 models on sale.

The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders insisted that the industry had “made progress in delivering lower carbon cars”. A spokesman admitted that cars may emit more CO2 under real world operating conditions but insisted that all cars had the same “industry standard” tests. Emma Stanley, of Honda, denied that the Civic hybrid claims were a “gimmick”.

While the US (and world) are moving away from oil dependancy, it's happening too slowly, which is another major problem. I wouldn't be surprised if politicians allowed gas prices to explode if for no other reason than to drum up support for drilling in Alaska. Crooked as this is, however, I still side with the "go get Alaska's oil" crowd if for no other reason than the fact that we will eventually need it because we aren't finding enough new, worthwhile "replacement" technologies fast enough.

EOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:14 pm 

Noobbot wrote:
Oi, oi. We need to remove our lips from the bloody chalice of oil, and seek something else to satisfy our energy appetites and requirements. It's no longer viable in anyway to continue down the current path - environmentally, economically, or politically.

What do you think are the best alternatives?

Quote:
Unfortunately, with the petrol industry being as monstrous as it is, and controlling as much of the flow of wealth and research as they do, and securing the patents/rights to anything that might jeopardize their profits, I don't see the reign of oil ending for quite some time. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I don't really see oil companies being the big obstacle. If oil companies are so greedy and dominating, why wouldn't they be trying get control of alternative, cleaner energy? It's just that nothing else is cost effective right now. I think the oil companies realize that too. I believe we should be moving more toward nuclear energy for electricity, but the obstacle isn't oil companies; it's the extremist enviromentalists and stupid politicians (ok, it probably could be oil companies lobbying these stupid politicians so that they can keep their market share...).

Napero wrote:
Oil will never again be cheap in the traditional sense, and China's demand has very little to do with the Olympics. They will drive their cars in the future, too, Olympics or no Olympics.

Well, I agree. I just believe that China has been very agressive for oil recently in part because the Olympics are coming up. They don't want something embarrassing to happen like not having enough oil. (I also hear they're going to put a moratorium on construction and such because of the pollution problem which is also embarrassing.) But would that put a dent in oil prices? I believe it could but obviously it won't be much or for long. That's why I'm only thinking of a short-term correction of about a few months.

Noobbot
Mors_Gloria + Thesaurus

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:39 pm 

EOS wrote:
Noobbot wrote:

What do you think are the best alternatives?

A combination of hydrogen as well as tapping into natural means. So that'd be hydrogen, solar, wind, geothermal, and hydroelectric. And I'd be fine with a slight expansion in nuclear, but surely not a huge increase in its usage, due to the fact that we currently cannot effectively store the waste. Almost every square mile of the crust is too near water tables/aquifers or is simply too deep to actually make any storage facilities there.

EOS wrote:
Quote:

I don't really see oil companies being the big obstacle. If oil companies are so greedy and dominating, why wouldn't they be trying get control of alternative, cleaner energy? It's just that nothing else is cost effective right now. I think the oil companies realize that too. I believe we should be moving more toward nuclear energy for electricity, but the obstacle isn't oil companies; it's the extremist enviromentalists and stupid politicians (ok, it probably could be oil companies lobbying these stupid politicians so that they can keep their market share...).

The oil industry is a HUGE part. People don't want seeing their billion dollar investments go to waste, and so begin trying to stop any real research into alternatives. There are other issues as well. As you said, bureaucrats and generally politicians who will subsidize companies and research and sit on it, overzealous environmentalists, and the simple fact that not enough research is currently being devoted to developing alternate fuels.

Napero wrote:
Without taking any stand on the Alaska issue, I want to point out that all the new "big" fields found in the recent years have been smaller than what people think. Many of them have been extremely difficult to drill (deep seas, arctic areas), expensive and environmentally awful (tar sands), and most of them, in the final analysis, have enough oil for a few months of global consumption. That is the case with Alaska's fields: too little to really have an impact, expensive to extract and refine, and environmentally questionable.

There is a huge amount of oil left on the planet, but most of it is too expensive to use. That's the idea behind peak oil; the oil won't run out, but it gets too expensive to drill and use.

Exactly. The remaining oil on the planet is too far below our slice of the crust and will take millions of years to be forced up our way.

EOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:56 pm 

From the AP:

Quote:
IEA worried about oil supplies, prepares forecast
By ANGELA CHARLTON – 3 hours ago

PARIS (AP) — A leading global energy monitor fears there may not be enough oil to slake the world's thirst — and is preparing a landmark forecast that could reverberate through the global economy even as major companies announce fuel-related cutbacks.

The International Energy Agency is studying depletion rates at about 400 oil fields in a first-of-its-kind study of world oil supply, chief economist Fatih Birol said.

"We are entering a new world energy order, " Birol told The Associated Press.

Market analysts call the Paris-based IEA the world's most reliable independent source of oil information and welcomed its decision to undertake a deep study of oil supplies.

But the IEA's new forecasts are likely to further upset markets. Oil prices hit an all-time high Thursday above $135 a barrel before falling back.

Less oil would mean even higher prices for everything from gasoline to food. Already, airlines squeezed by jet fuel costs are bleeding profits and predicting cutbacks and industry upheaval. Ford Motor Co. said Thursday it was cutting production of gas-guzzling sport utility vehicles and forecast more rough times ahead.

Birol said the IEA study, whose results will be released in November, was prompted by concern about the volatility of world oil markets and uncertainty about supply levels.

"The prices are very high, and demand did not respond in the last few years as much as one would have expected," Birol said. "The growth in terms of production was not great. We did not see enough investment."

The spurt in oil prices Thursday came after a report in the Wall Street Journal that the IEA was planning to lower its forecast for long-term world supply.

Birol would not speculate on whether the forecast, which will predict supplies through 2030, could go sharply downward. "We will see," he said.

The IEA's past forecasts put oil supply at about 116 million barrels a day in 2030, up from 87 million barrels a day now.

"Although the agency's official assessment isn't expected until later this year, the market's interpretation is that global supply may be significantly tighter than previously projected by the major oil market monitors," said Jim Ritterbusch, president of energy trading advisory service Ritterbusch and Associates in Galena, Illinois.

Birol said oil companies and governments have cooperated with IEA experts preparing the report, but added, "It is not an easy task. It is the first time this is being done in the public domain on such a scale."

Simon Wardell, oil analyst at Global Insight in London, was skeptical that the IEA would get a complete picture from "countries that are very closely guarded" such as Saudi Arabia, the No. 1 producer.

That is important because Birol said one of the key shifts coming up is that the world will become increasingly reliant on national oil companies instead of multinational ones.

"Up to now, we have seen that the international oil companies were responsible for bringing a big chunk of the oil to the markets. Now, in many cases, since existing reserves are declining, a big part of oil will need to come from national oil companies. And they have their own conditions, their own context."

Birol called for greater investment everywhere.

Wardell said the IEA report would have limited effect on investment. "It's not like oil companies aren't already looking around," he said.

But he said governments could take notice and "start thinking of policies that would ensure more oil."

Birol noted that, "Both on the demand side and supply side, we have new actors who change the rules of the game."

He said most demand now and in the coming decades will come from China, India and the Middle East. That is a stark shift from past decades, when the U.S. and Europe were demand-drivers.

The IEA is part of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which brings together 30 rich nations. It has no links to OPEC, and its review may challenge the Organization for Petroleum Exporting Countries' view that the world is well-supplied with oil.

Birol said the report is looking at onshore and offshore supplies — including hard-to-reach wells in the deep sea.

He noted that Brazilian state oil company Petroleo Brasileiro SA said Thursday it has struck more oil in waters near the huge offshore Tupi field — but remained cautious about how much "good oil" such fields would produce.

Fears about fuel prices helped send shares in Europe's largest airline, Air France-KLM, down 9 percent Thursday after it announced a quarterly net loss and said it expects the coming year to be "challenging."

CEO Jean-Cyril Spinetta said the soaring cost of fuel means the industry is in for a "profound transformation," predicting capacity reductions, the acceleration of mergers and the exit of some players from the market.

Ford Motor Co. said Thursday it is cutting North American production of pickups and SUVs as car buyers eyeing record gas prices turn toward more fuel-efficient models. The automaker says it no longer expects to return to profitability by 2009 and didn't rule out layoffs and plant closures.

Further confirmation of what peak oil theorists have said.

I don't see anything replacing oil in a big way. Looks like it's going to be a tough decade.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:00 am 

TheJizzHammer wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

I read that Alaska has about 10 billion barrels worth, and that America consumes about 21 million a say. I would say that based on this, it wouldn't last us too long.

That comes to about 476 days worth of oil--if America isn't using other sources (like Arab, South American, or other US oil fields) and if demand doesn't increase too harshly.

It's still worth it to get that oil out of the ground if for no other reason to stave off a truly horrible economic crisis for a little longer so that more time can be given to find alternative sources that are worth it.

mevyhetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:39 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Wind and solar are good ideas, but as of now, neither generate nearly enough electricity for the cost. Two of the most effective energy sources are hydroelectric and nuclear, but there are now so many regulations in various places (California for instance) that actually prevent building new nuclear plants.

There's also still many people that are fearful of nuclear power plants, despite the fact that such facilities are much safer than they were a few decades ago. I have heard that the U.S. does not have enough of the proper people (mainly engineers) to build modern nuclear power plants at a more rapid pace, in which case we could perhaps consult with French companies since they are apparently good at it.

Even if wind power were more favorable for power generation, it suffers from public opposition and high demand, both of which have rapidly increased over the past few years. Interestingly, the U.S. was ranked 2nd in terms of installed wind power capacity for 2007, yet the amount of power we get from it is negligible.

Last edited by mevyhetal on Fri May 23, 2008 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scorpio
Healthy Dose of Reality

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:43 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
There is a major problem that seems to be overlooked a lot when it comes to oil and that is that it is still the most effecient and cost-effective energy source. It's more than twice as effecient as ethanol, it burns cleaner than coal, and the thing most people don't seem to know--oil is burned to make hydrogen cells and other technologies in hybrid cars. Cars that run on ethanol routinely fail emissions tests that gas-powered cars pass. The batteries used in electric/hybrid cars are actually more dangerous to the environment than burned oil--granted this is largely due to the the toxic chemicals inside the batteries which may leak into the environment upon disposal--if disposal isn't carried out in a responsible manner.

Ethanol is a joke and always has been. It only took off for political reasons. It's on the downswing now. Nuclear is the answer, but it somehow got connected in the American consciousness with nuclear weaponry. Not over in Europe, though.

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:13 pm 

Scorpio wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Ethanol is a joke and always has been. It only took off for political reasons. It's on the downswing now. Nuclear is the answer, but it somehow got connected in the American consciousness with nuclear weaponry. Not over in Europe, though.

Nuclear power isn't particularly popular here, either, from what I've seen, though I agree that it's the way forward.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:32 pm 

People here are strongly against nuclear power. Why should we build plants that just blow up all over our faces in 5-10 years? Besides, you get electricity from power points, right?

Cons of democracy.

Noobbot
Mors_Gloria + Thesaurus

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:20 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
People here are strongly against nuclear power. Why should we build plants that just blow up all over our faces in 5-10 years? Besides, you get electricity from power points, right?

Cons of democracy.

Fallacy. Any competently constructed power plant would withstand any but the most catastrophic meltdowns and manage to contain the radiation and blast. That said, the highly toxic and radioactive waste - much of which cannot be recycled, and it of course has a huge half-life - cannot be safely disposed of.

AxelTheRed
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:02 am 

Drilling in Alaska should only be done if it serves to decrease oil prices DRASTICALLY and keep them down for years on end.

If its only going to make a tiny dent in oil prices, be quickly emptied-out or both, there's really no point of wasting the millions of dollars and fucking up a pristine peice of nature.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:58 am 

Noobbot wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Cons of democracy.

Fallacy. Any competently constructed power plant would withstand any but the most catastrophic meltdowns and manage to contain the radiation and blast. That said, the highly toxic and radioactive waste - much of which cannot be recycled, and it of course has a huge half-life - cannot be safely disposed of.
Erm, yeah. I was being sarcastic.

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:38 pm 

Noobbot wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Cons of democracy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_Mountain

It is perfectly safe, What is sad is fear mongers have the opening of creation of places like this tied up in court and the waste is being accumulated above ground when it could be deep underground in the desert.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:38 pm 

http://www.posiva.fi/englanti/

The finnish project has gone quite far already. 500 meters below the surface, in 2 billion years old granite should be able to take a few ice ages and whatnot. I'd say it's quite safe.

Noobbot
Mors_Gloria + Thesaurus

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:18 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Noobbot wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Cons of democracy.

Erm, yeah. I was being sarcastic.

I figured as much, but thought it best to cover it no matter. It seemed you were speaking of uninformed people (of which I am now certain), and I supposed I was quoting you to highlight the fallacy more than to contradict you. If that makes any sense.

goatmanejy
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:08 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
The staunch environmentalists say "no way" to drilling for new oil in Alaska as it would "damage the ecosystem" and "threaten the polar bear."
It's become an economics vs. environmentalist kind of war.

For once, I agree with you.

Resident_Hazard wrote:
In my view, nature will learn to live around us. A few oil drilling plants isn't going to upset that damn much of a massive state like Alaska. We need to reduce our dependancy on foreign oil, and we need to bring these costs down. I say, get in, get the oil, get out. The sooner the better. Drill it all up and give the region back to the polar bears and seals and snow.

Nature living around us would take forever. We would drive the polar bears to extinction before they got out. Drilling takes a long time. I know this, my step dad is in the drilling industry (he sells chemicals that assist in softening the ground for drilling - he is about to be promoted to manager of the entire north american continent, so Ill be informed on the topic). Getting in and out would take way too long and would disrupt the enviroment so much. No more yukon territory unspoiled beauty.

We can place a value on the price of oil, lumber, and muinerals, but whay about the value of beauty, inspiration, solitude, and spiritual renewal?

Bezerko wrote:
"You're honour, I do believe that Slayer is fucking awesome. I rest my case."

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:32 am 

Noobbot wrote:
I figured as much, but thought it best to cover it no matter. It seemed you were speaking of uninformed people (of which I am now certain), and I supposed I was quoting you to highlight the fallacy more than to contradict you. If that makes any sense.
Yeah, I get what you mean. I do that sometimes too, I just wasn't sure at the time and wanted to clarify. ;)

ergriefer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:58 pm 

the amount of oil located in this particular strip of alaska is simply not enough to make any sort of lasting difference in our situation. most estimates have placed it at about 6 months of supply at our current rate of usage. such an amount could be used to provide a year's respite from crippling prices, but then it's gone, and we're back with probably $7/gal gasoline. this won't bring us out of recession, neither will it solve the underlying problem of dependence. it's the macroeconomic equivalent of burying one's head in the sand for a year or two.

the only solution to the energy supply problem is conservation, and on an industrial and institutional level as well as for consumers. this is rarely talked about in the media because it's unfashionable and runs against our desires for convenience and more urban sprawl.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:19 am 

goatmanejy wrote:
For once, I agree with you.

Resident_Hazard wrote:

Nature living around us would take forever. We would drive the polar bears to extinction before they got out. Drilling takes a long time. I know this, my step dad is in the drilling industry (he sells chemicals that assist in softening the ground for drilling - he is about to be promoted to manager of the entire north american continent, so Ill be informed on the topic). Getting in and out would take way too long and would disrupt the enviroment so much. No more yukon territory unspoiled beauty.

We can place a value on the price of oil, lumber, and muinerals, but whay about the value of beauty, inspiration, solitude, and spiritual renewal?

You're really running the gamut of hippie mumbo-jumbo with that last sentence. It ruins the potential ceredibility of the rest of your post. Right now, nature has thrived around American oil plants up north. The oil pipeline has been there for ages and there are more polar bears in the Arctic now than there were in the 60's (by a factor of 3), and caribou have flourished despite an oil pipeline running through the wilderness.

There is this rampant fear that American industry is wildly irresponsible when it comes to dealing with nature. And while that was true in the infant stages of the Industrial Revolution--over 150 years ago--it's not even close now. Keep in mind, the United States is where the idea of conservation of natural lands was essentially born via Teddy Roosevelt (not saying he is the actual start, but he is the reason it became popularized--he was the one that forced governement to take responsibility). There is already an an oil pipeline coming from Alaska to the contintental US, and it has cause no damage to nature in any way.

Ironically, the people who seem to care the most about nature and love it the most always sell it so short. Nature is extremely powerful. It created man and it can destroy man. Humans must work constantly to keep nature from destroying what we've built. The History Channel ran a scientifically assembled theoretical view of the world if human just up and vanished. Within 20 years, much of what we built will be well on it's way to being taken back by nature. In a matter of a couple decades, cross-country roads and even paved highways would be vanished from changing seasons and plant growth. Animals would retake the lands en masse. Drive down any highway and note all the bizarre places plants and trees seem to be growing. You can have a huge platform of concrete with one crack in the middle with a fucking tree pushing through that crack. Look at the way cockroaches, termintes, ants, mice, rats, and other pests and vermin can completely invade our homes. The way weeds can quickly destroy a lawn. The ways molds and fungi latch onto and grow wherever they can. Fill your garbage with "dead" (old food, papers, tissues, plastics, napkinis, etc) things and leave it for two weeks--come back and it'll be full of all sorts of life--and you need only to have abandoned a few small bits of food for nature to invade. Sometimes not even that since mice and cockroaches can eat cardboard. Nature is the most powerful force on the planet, and is constantly at odds with the unnatural ways of man.

You give it too little credit. Especially now when the harm humans could do is limited through proper beaurocracy, nature needs only for us to vanish and in a few short years, it will have begun taking back what we once held.

The only problem with that Life After Humans show on the History Channel was that it didn't touch on the nuke plants. However, it did reveal that about the last man-made structure to be taken back by the wild would be the Hoover Dam. It was said to be so massive that even 70 years after it's construction, the concrete within is still curing. Holy crap.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:07 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Nuclear is the answer, but it somehow got connected in the American consciousness with nuclear weaponry. Not over in Europe, though.

Ahem. Speaking as a childhood resident of southeastern Pennsylvania, nuclear power in the US is associated a whole lot more with a certain 3-mile long island than it is with weaponry.

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:44 am 

I think we should be focusing less on how to get more oil, but rather how to get more long lasting use out of the oil.

Even drilling in Alaska, for what benefit it will provide, is a relatively short term answer to the eventual problem of dwindling oil wells.

So...no, leave Alaska alone.

Dragon_Of_Earth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:41 am 

i have a solution tothis problem about gas: USE AN ALTERNATIVE FUEL!!!!

i saw the compressed air car on the History channel's "Modern Marvels: Nature Tech" and it was a really good idea. 125 MILES on a $2.00 fill up is better than gas anyday

they have 'em in syria why not in the us? i think it's because of all the money politicians would lose and oil companies too.

greedy sons-of-bitches :mad:

i'm not for drilling in alaska. it will be our OWN downfall if we decide to keep using gas/oil when we can use other (more environmentally frinedly) fuels.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:44 am 

Dragon_Of_Earth wrote:
i have a solution tothis problem about gas: USE AN ALTERNATIVE FUEL!!!!

i saw the compressed air car on the History channel's "Modern Marvels: Nature Tech" and it was a really good idea. 125 MILES on a $2.00 fill up is better than gas anyday

they have 'em in syria why not in the us? i think it's because of all the money politicians would lose and oil companies too.

greedy sons-of-bitches :mad:

i'm not for drilling in alaska. it will be our OWN downfall if we decide to keep using gas/oil when we can use other (more environmentally frinedly) fuels.

As wonderful as it sounds, when you have a nation that relies on oil as much as the United States, any radical shift to environmentally friendly fuels will essentially destroy the country's economy.

Dragon_Of_Earth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:49 am 

then gradually introduce it. it doesn't have to happen over say the next few years, but say the nex tdecade or couple of decades, perhaps?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next