Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:49 pm 

Yeah, cause THATS gonna be real easy.
Death metal is eternal.

Osmium
The Hateful Raven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:18 pm 

Leify wrote:
Natural selection does foster behavioral patterns that benefit a species. Whether or not the word 'meant' is appropriate isn't really important, but were it that homosexuality was a natural evolution of human behavior, it doesn't exactly foster the continuation of the species.

Now, on the other hand, a thought is that if homosexuality actually is a part of natural selection in some way, it may be a form of population control.

Edit: And upon reading up, a similar theory was already suggested...damn.

The bolded portion is a very common misconception about evolution. Natural selection works on the level of the individual, not the group, and certainly not the species. While larger-scale selection pressures do exist, such as kin selection and even group selection, there is no evolutionary mechanism that protects the survival of the species at the expense of the individual. If a genetic predisposition to homosexuality was detrimental to the individual, it would be selected out of the gene pool entirely. However, if it assisted individual reproduction at the cost of the species, then the species would simply go extinct.

A similar example of this is the Runaway Genes Model of sexual selection:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaway_evolution

However, it applies mostly to sexual selection. The homosexuality example wouldn't make sense because homosexuals are probably less fit than heterosexuals. However, I don't see how this is a problem for the rest of us heterosexuals: since our sexual preference predisposes us to mate with females, we are capable of generating offspring whereas homosexuals are not nearly as good at this.

Consider the following model for the persistence of homosexual genes. In males, the genes that predispose one to homosexuality, and make the individual less reproductively fit, might have a totally different effect in females. It might make males more effeminate (not in all cases of course), but it might also make females more demure, submissive, and generally sexy. So while males with the genes might be an evolutionary dead end, females who possess them will have increased fitness.

greysnow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:23 pm 

Osmium wrote:
...but it might also make females more demure, submissive, and generally sexy.

While I agree with your post in general, I definitely prefer another type of woman.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:51 pm 

Osmium wrote:
The bolded portion is a very common misconception about evolution. Natural selection works on the level of the individual, not the group, and certainly not the species. While larger-scale selection pressures do exist, such as kin selection and even group selection, there is no evolutionary mechanism that protects the survival of the species at the expense of the individual.

Good point. Dawkins makes a convincing argument that selection works on the level of the gene, too, in The Selfish Gene. Which I'm currently reading. Good stuff. :)

vondskapens_makt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:19 pm 

2Eagle333 wrote:
vondskapens_makt wrote:
2Eagle333 wrote:
Deaths_Design wrote:
I will retort with something more witty when I'm of more sound mind. And re-read yours so I can better get across what you're saying, haha.

But when it all comes down to it, they're just people like you and I.

If we weren't straight, we'd be gay! Now THAT'S science we can all put money on.

... asexual.
:boo:

Say what? o_O

People who don't desire sexual relationships with anybody, but may or may nor want romantic relationships with the opposite gender, their gender, or both.

In school I was taught that asexuality meant having no sexual organs and reproducing without said sexual organs.

The eye can outstare neither the sun, nor death... if I sought God it was in delirium and in the delight of temptation.

CandideCamera
Pour l'encouragement des autres

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:50 pm 

vondskapens_makt wrote:
2Eagle333 wrote:
vondskapens_makt wrote:
2Eagle333 wrote:
Deaths_Design wrote:
I will retort with something more witty when I'm of more sound mind. And re-read yours so I can better get across what you're saying, haha.

But when it all comes down to it, they're just people like you and I.

If we weren't straight, we'd be gay! Now THAT'S science we can all put money on.

... asexual.
:boo:

Say what? o_O

People who don't desire sexual relationships with anybody, but may or may nor want romantic relationships with the opposite gender, their gender, or both.

In school I was taught that asexuality meant having no sexual organs and reproducing without said sexual organs.

That's in amoebae and such life forms. Good ole binary fission.

Personally I think the human version of asexuality is a great concept, if incredibly difficult.

Chrystus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:53 pm 

Osmium wrote:
If my child became gay, I would support him/her. How would you react? Would you disown your child because s/he was gay?

If I had a male child then I would be heavily disappointed if he turned out to be gay. As to disown him, I do not know if I would do that as I'm not in that situation, so I can't really say that I would. I would be more at ease, but still not totally supportive if my daughter became homosexual. It seems more "all-right" if it's two girls, for example when girls greet each other with a kiss, or change clothes in front of each other etc. If two guyes did that together it would be kind of strange and awkward. Also I'll have the comfort of knowing my daughter will not be taken advantage of by some guy or be with a differnet guy every weekend.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:10 pm 

I think all of us would be dissapointed if our sons would turn out to be gay. Of course most people claim otherwise, but I think deep in our hearts we all feel the same way about it.

I'd probably be bummed about it for a short period and then just stop caring (and start making more children ...). Of course I wouldn't punish him or anything, that'd be pretty stupid. But dissapointed? Certainly.

greysnow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:13 pm 

DGYDP wrote:
I think all of us would be dissapointed if our sons would turn out to be gay. Of course most people claim otherwise, but I think deep in our hearts we all feel the same way about it.

I beg to be excluded from the "all of us". I see no reason why I should be disappointed. If that's his road to happiness, I'll support him as a matter of course.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:16 pm 

I'm not saying you wouldn't support him, I'd support him as well ...

What I tried to say is that most people would be dissapointed because the chance of having grand children is significantly reduced, not because he is homosexual ... but of course people claim otherwise because they want to be "open minded" and stuff.

greysnow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:25 pm 

DGYDP wrote:
I'm not saying you wouldn't support him, I'd support him as well ...

What I tried to say is that most people would be dissapointed because the chance of having grand children is significantly reduced, not because he is homosexual ... but of course people claim otherwise because they want to be "open minded" and stuff.

Ah, then I've misinterpreted you, sorry... but really, my living son would be far more important to me than hypothetical grandchildren that wouldn't even exist.

Tezcat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:34 pm 

greysnow wrote:
Tezcat wrote:
Perhaps some of you have considered the fact that homosexuality is some kind of an evolutionary device?

It is debated that homosexuality has a certain degree of genetic components in it. So, it is like evoution "considers" certain individuals as "non-elegible" for the preservation of the species, or, as if geneticallly speaking, a homosexual would not be fit to spread his seed and preserve the species.

And if you think about it, it makes sense, doesn't it?

You people must stop seeing evolution as if it was Evolution (with capital E for personification). It's not a planned event. It does not have goals, because there's no "it" that could have goals. There are no considerations of the future in its setup. It's just a process that happens.

Therefore it is plain bullshit that evolution "considers" any sort of people, be they gay, mallcore fans, salad eaters or computer salesmen, "non-eligible" for anything. There are enough examples of predominantly homosexual persons having children, either by donating sperm or having sperm injected, or in vitro fertilization, depending; or by the simple expedient of sleeping with the opposite sex.

The way you argue leads down a dangerous road where you consider homosexuals as "genetically unfit". Two or three more steps in the wrong direction, and you're standing in front of a gas chamber. In addition, you're moving on this road with faulty thinking.

well, of course I made a mistae whe I said 'evolution "considers" people...' and I knew it would sound as if I were giving personality to the natural selection process, but the right words didn't come to mind.

And I mnow a lot of homosexuals who try to have children either by adopting them or by artificial methods, because they want to have kids. And here's my argument:

If homosexuality IS a choice of life —as most homosexuals say they are— and if you ARE homosexual, then by all means, ACCEPT the consequences of your choice of life, assume the responsability of your own actions: mammals breed by having sex with specimens of their opposite gender. That's biology. If you "decide" to be homosexual, you ARE implying that you dont' want to have intercourse with the opposite sex... unless you go back 2.000 years in time to Ancient Greece, were people were expected to have, at least, one children, no matter their sexual preferences.

But most homosexuals ted to dislike and even hate their "rivals", that is, people of the opposite gender. Most gays hate women, most lesbians hate men, and how on earth could they have any offspring? Artificial methods...

And no, I'm not saying that gays will become extinct; it's just that they are indeed "genetically unfit" for breeding.

Dolphins, some primates and humans are homosexuals because these are species which have sex for pleasure, and not just for bvreeding purposes. Tht's way there are homosexuals. Saying that they're genetically unfit for breeding is way different than saying that they sould go to the gas chamber. As long as they are productive members of society, killing them --or nayone else for whatever reason-- is just a waste of work force.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:42 pm 

I don't have a problem with GLBT. I am against sexism and I believe that people can do what they want in their beds. Besides, the more homosexual guys appear the more women are left for the remaining straights :)

http://www.metalfighters.com/

greysnow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:03 pm 

Tezcat wrote:
But most homosexuals ted to dislike and even hate their "rivals", that is, people of the opposite gender. Most gays hate women, most lesbians hate men, and how on earth could they have any offspring? Artificial methods...

Untrue. Not the homosexuals I know. And I know a gay father who sired his son in the common everyday way.

Tezcat wrote:
And no, I'm not saying that gays will become extinct; it's just that they are indeed "genetically unfit" for breeding.

Then what do you mean by "genetically"? You can only mean that their behavior is caused by genetic factors, and there's no proof of that. Surely you don't mean their sperm count.

Tezcat wrote:
Saying that they're genetically unfit for breeding is way different than saying that they sould go to the gas chamber. As long as they are productive members of society, killing them --or nayone else for whatever reason-- is just a waste of work force.

Ok, I said that in the heat of battle. It's just that labeling someone as "genetically unfit" raises some red flags for me.
I won't say anything to how you seem to view humans primarily as work force. That would derail the thread.

SandmanForever
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:10 pm 

Personally I think if you wanna be gay or bi or lesbian or anything along those lines, DO IT. Society has become more acceptable (though not much) to this lifestyle. I predict that society will grow more so in the near future... as for my beliefs... well... I dont mind splitting a gay's skull in a pit or your's for that matter.

intothevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:35 pm 

I have a problem with homosexuals. It's not the type of problem that involves hate, but I can't stand homosexuals.
It might be that I disslike the more obvious and "out-there" gays ; the way they are. I think it might just be a natural instinct to dislike them and withdrawing from being near them. I also don't enjoy talking alot with them, but I can often surpass that.
As for Bis, I'm slighlty more open minded about them. From the moment they're more into women, that is.
As for all that involves women, it's not cool if they're hot EXCEPT when they're bi.

"Oh, It's just the holocaust. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, carry on"

Deaths_Design
Anti-Christian Miscreant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:49 pm 

I kind of missed the boat on the half-asleep discussion I was having.

But basically I wanted to say that I find it very unlikely that homosexuality will be 'bred out' in any capacity.

Yup, that's it.

However, I have another topic:
Why is it that gays seem to be so drastically more promiscuous than heterosexuals? Christ, I've had a few gay friends in my time, and they were such sluts! I couldn't stand it. Why is that?

ciboire_de_merde
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:38 pm 

Deaths_Design wrote:

Why is it that gays seem to be so drastically more promiscuous than heterosexuals? Christ, I've had a few gay friends in my time, and they were such sluts! I couldn't stand it. Why is that?

My theory on that has always been that men in general are pretty much up for sex whenever, and gay guys have the opportunity for fulfilling that urge more or less whenever it strikes them, with much more ease than a straight guy attempting to court a woman. There tends to be a certain boundary between straight men and women that needs to be crossed slowly through friendly association, i.e. if you approach a woman somewhere you most likely want to nail her (and she may want the same), but its usually not acceptable to be up front with it. On the other hand its common for gay guys to make their intentions known from the beginning: "I wanna fuck, I know you wanna fuck, so lets do it". I can't speak for anyone else here but I know that if it was that easy with women i'd have no shame in being one promiscuous motherfucker.

On the subject in general, I have no problem with homosexuality. I don't believe its a choice, any more than being straight is a choice, and I don't think its "wrong" because I don't believe in any objective system of right and wrong.

And I don't see why some people in this thread hold the unlikelihood of procreation a reason to condemn homosexuality. I could give a fuck about the perpetuation of the species, not least because there's no threat of human cessation any time soon (not from failure to reproduce, at least).

And the question of whether it is "natural" or not is ridiculous. No way of thinking or behaving is unnatural that arises 'naturally' from the mental strata of the human brain, which is a morsel of sapience that allows the universe to perceive itself. Because the mind is an extension of this universe, it follows that its products are too. There is no natural or unnatural, there just is.

live and let live, i say. there is no use caring about this kind of thing.

Gothbag
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:26 pm 

PulpifiedBongSucker wrote:
I'm perfectly fine with it. People who are super anti-homosexuality are usually afraid of their own sexuality and are scared they're going to be judged. Just look at all of the anti-homosexual religious extremists who end up getting outed by the news after having sex with a male hooker.

And don't say it's unnatural, seeing as animals have shown intergender sexual interaction.

Same thing here. I support same-sex marriages and such either.

Burzukur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:53 pm 

I'm ok with homosexuality. They pay taxes like everyone else, they fight in our military, they are responsible for good music, and like every other minority they provide material for comedians that I like. Louis CK has a great piece about homosexuality (a few in fact). I was kind of hoping this thread would be more volatile, though.

Tezcat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:46 am 

ciboire_de_merde wrote:
[quotAnd the question of whether it is "natural" or not is ridiculous. No way of thinking or behaving is unnatural that arises 'naturally' from the mental strata of the human brain, which is a morsel of sapience that allows the universe to perceive itself. Because the mind is an extension of this universe, it follows that its products are too. There is no natural or unnatural, there just is.

I'd recommend you "The Naked Ape" by Desmond Morris, a zoological study of the human animal. Short and quite interesting. He states that any sexual behavior which does not lead to the preservation of the species would be 'unnatural', biologically speaking,

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:47 am 

Burzukur wrote:
I'm ok with homosexuality. They pay taxes like everyone else, they fight in our military, they are responsible for good music, and like every other minority they provide material for comedians that I like. Louis CK has a great piece about homosexuality (a few in fact). I was kind of hoping this thread would be more volatile, though.

Thankfully if they come out of the closet they are kicked out tho, The last thing we need is a bunch of fags running around flaunting gay pride in our armed forces.

mpawluk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:48 am 

The_Count wrote:
Thankfully if they come out of the closet they are kicked out tho, The last thing we need is a bunch of fags running around flaunting gay pride in our armed forces.

A man or woman's sexual preference does not dictate how well they serve in the armed forces.

Insolent_Heretic
Torus Map Coloring Theorem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:53 am 

I have a friend who is gay, he's a legend but I'm yet to meet a straight male who he doesn't annoy the absolute shit out of. He's basicaly just a really happy person who's a lot of fun to hang out with.
I can see why guys would be a bit cautious of gay guys, it doesn't matter at all to me what colour or sexuality anyone has, as long as you don't piss me off, or try to make me behave like you.
I guess I have a bias towards females, I tend to get along with guys much better and I generally enjoy their company more, the conversation is more interesting and there's nowhere near as much bitching. That's not to say I won't make an effort to get to know a chick.
The only people I'd tell to fuck off straight away before I've met them are emos, the really cliche ones who think that because my clothes are black I must have things in common with them. I'll admit, SOME of them are okay, like my friends sister, she looks like a fucking retard but she's a smart kid and a damn happy one at that. I probably won't be too nice to really skanky looking girls aswell.
Well enough of my rant. I'll stop ... for now.

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:00 am 

mpawluk wrote:
The_Count wrote:

A man or woman's sexual preference does not dictate how well they serve in the armed forces.

Yes yes if some queer is willing to take a bullet for Uncle Sam then by all means all the power to him. However the moment he starts flaunting his homosexuality he would be kicked to the curb and out of the service as he should be.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:25 am 

Tezcat wrote:

Ermmmm... Wait, what? How do you know this, then?

The_Count wrote:
mpawluk wrote:
The_Count wrote:

Yes yes if some queer is willing to take a bullet for Uncle Sam then by all means all the power to him. However the moment he starts flaunting his homosexuality he would be kicked to the curb and out of the service as he should be.

So if they tell people that they are homosexual, then they're flaunting their homosexuality and deserve to be forced out of the army? Or do you believe that men who tell some other people in the army that they love some woman should also be sent out for 'flaunting their heterosexuality'?

Last edited by 2Eagle333 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Balth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:29 am 

I have nothing against people with different sexual preferences and I believe gays should have rights like the rest of us, but I just don't like it when gay people are openly gay around me. Situations like two gays kissing passionately in front of me (which happened to me a while ago) and gays dressing up in very tight clothes while moving and talking like a bitchy girl (which I've also witnessed, multiple times) disturb the fuck out of me.
If there's a gay person who's acting like any normal man around me, I wouldn't mind at all. Hell, I'll even befriend him if he's a cool guy. But when they go over-the-top gay it makes me very uncomfortable.

thecorpsetree
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:56 am 

If you're a good person, you're a good person, regardless of who you like to fuck. What consenting adults do to each other is none of my business.

Like many others I don't care for gay people who centre their whole life around the fact that they are gay. Sexual preference is not that big a deal to me, and I find it a bit of a turn off when people go out of their way to make it one.

One thing I really do hate though is the phenomenon of girls pretending to be gay to turn guys on. It seems to be trendy for girls to kiss their friends, or grab each others breasts in front of guys they're flirting with. I bet they'd all run a mile if you put a pussy in front of their face and told them to eat.

On the issue of gays having children I really don't care, as long as they are good parents then why should it matter if their kid has two mums, or two dads?? There are plenty of children being abused and mis-treated by their hetrosexual parents, I'd be more worried about the kids living with alcoholics, drug addicts and pedophiles than the ones with gay parents.

Whether it is natural or not, well that's a whole nother kettle of fish.

EternalEnemy wrote:
"My god carries a hammer, your god died nailed to a cross"

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:04 am 

thecorpsetree wrote:
One thing I really do hate though is the phenomenon of girls pretending to be gay to turn guys on. It seems to be trendy for girls to kiss their friends, or grab each others breasts in front of guys they're flirting with. I bet they'd all run a mile if you put a pussy in front of their face and told them to eat.

I've been noticing that too ... you won't hear me complain about it though. :lol:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:11 am 

Tezcat wrote:
If homosexuality IS a choice of life —as most homosexuals say they are—

...Wait, WHAT?
You think they *choose* to be attracted to the same sex?

Quote:
But most homosexuals ted to dislike and even hate their "rivals", that is, people of the opposite gender. Most gays hate women, most lesbians hate men

Evidence?

Deaths_Design wrote:

Question: were they male gays, or female gays? If they were male, then you have the answer to your question. :p /s

captain_sharpe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:25 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I don't have any issues with homosexuality, really. I mean, it won't bother me if I saw two guys holding hands at the shops or anything. However, what I don't like is people being ultragay, all the time. I can't stand it, and it seems like it's done for attention's sake, even if it's not intentional.

But again, I have no problems with it. My mate is bisexual and he's never lunged at me yet. ;)

i know gay people too and as long as they don't try to rape me in my sleep or drug me to fuck me i'm fine with them taking it up the ass

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:46 pm 

Culled. Bringing that kind of inanity into the Symposium is not acceptable.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

CandideCamera
Pour l'encouragement des autres

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:04 pm 

Yeah, that was pretty gay.

intothevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:14 pm 

Too gay.
As for me, I think I have already posted my thoughts, but I still must say I am regularly repulsed by public shows of affection, involving kisses and hands-on-ass, that kind. We know you're gay, just hide it a little.

mpawluk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:48 pm 

intothevoid wrote:
Too gay.
As for me, I think I have already posted my thoughts, but I still must say I am regularly repulsed by public shows of affection, involving kisses and hands-on-ass, that kind. We know you're gay, just hide it a little.

Would that bother you if it was a straight couple or a lesbian couple?

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:08 pm 

2Eagle333 wrote:
Tezcat wrote:

Ermmmm... Wait, what? How do you know this, then?

The_Count wrote:
mpawluk wrote:
The_Count wrote:

So if they tell people that they are homosexual, then they're flaunting their homosexuality and deserve to be forced out of the army? Or do you believe that men who tell some other people in the army that they love some woman should also be sent out for 'flaunting their heterosexuality'?

Yes as current policy states they would be removed if said person admitted or engaged in homosexual acts. It is this way because it "would create an unacceptable risk to the high standards of morale, good order and discipline"

I do not think you could make much of a valid argument on how heterosexual relations are reputation damaging.

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:11 pm 

One of my best friends identifies herself as a lesbian, and women are indeed the main source of her attractions. Interestingly, though, she rarely finds herself attracted to men, and when it happens it's usually a 'comfort thing'. I read an article about a recent study that questions the possibility of bisexuality in men, essentially supporting the assertion of many gay men that 'you're either straight, gay, or lying.' For women who identify themselves as lesbian or bisexual, men are sometimes a sexual attraction because of feelings of comfort, being protected, etc. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/05/health/05sex.html

I'm sure my friend would be disappointed in me for my position on gay marriage, and that's why I don't talk with her about it, but I cannot support gay marriage. There's certainly no good reason for gays to be barred from marriage if marriage is about love. I just think that marriage should ideally be about kinship relations.

BeforeGod
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:47 pm 

I don't have a particularly well defined stance on homosexuality and how the issue should be handled is highly related to the sort of society that it occurs in.

One thing that I do find interesting though is the way causation is assigned when discussing the subject, especially when you look at the groups involved in the argument. Sure there will be some generalizing, but for simplicity's sake let's talk in extremes here. On one hand you have the radical pro-gay crowd who are generally drawn from the ranks of the "liberals" or "progressives" or whatever buzzword is in at the time. These are the people who argue that just about everything, from gender roles to poverty to intelligence to race, is "socially constructed" and who completely eschew biological determinism - yet interestingly enough their most common defense of homosexuality runs along the lines of "they were born that way" and are thus deserving of the same "rights" as heterosexuals.

Conversely, when one looks for the foremost (secular) critics of homosexuality the most obvious candidates are the "radical right" or "racists" or - once again - whatever catchphrase is in vogue at the time. Now, interestingly enough, these folks who are the most stalwart defenders of genetic determinism tend to blame cultural/societal changes for the apparent surge of homosexuality since the last quarter of the 20th Century. They also use arguments like "gays are recruiting" or that gay adoption will create gay children, which really does reflect a social constructionist line of thinking.

I'm not sure where I stand precisely, if anything I view it as something of a non-issue. I do however find it amusing that both sides often grossly betray their supposed worldview when it suits them, although to be fair the "progressive" stance is a lot more perplexing. In any case, homosexuality isn't really all that important. It only effects around 1-2% of the (Canadian) population. At least according to Statistics Canada:

StatsCan wrote:
Among Canadians aged 18 to 59, 1.0% reported that they consider themselves to be homosexual and 0.7% considered themselves bisexual.

About 1.3% of men considered themselves homosexual, about twice the proportion of 0.7% among women. However, 0.9% of women reported being bisexual, slightly higher than the proportion of 0.6% among men.

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/040615/d040615b.htm

intothevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:03 pm 

mpawluk wrote:
intothevoid wrote:
Too gay.

Would that bother you if it was a straight couple or a lesbian couple?
I only find it disturbing when it's a male homosexual couple, and mildly disturbing when it's a lesb couple. A straight couple making out ? Nothing wrong with that, to my eyes.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:15 pm 

For statistics, I have nothing against homosexuals, and I feel stupid for evenhaving to say it.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next