Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ASupervillain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:19 am 

Since, in the end, all of our emotions and views on life are really just chemical reactions taking place in our brain everything that you feel or think or realize is meaningless. Every philosophy, idea, or viewpoint is wrong and humanity in itself is something nonexistent. So whenever you think something you feel is isignificant you're really lying to yourself so you can carry on with existence.
Everyone in the world creates their own personal lie, their own fantasy on what life is and the way this fantasy is formed defines their beliefs and personality. The only way any person can continue to live is to maintain this detachment with reality.
Earlier I said that, in this idea, humanity is non existent but then I realized, the fact that we can lie to ourselves and create this fantasy is what makes us human.

I don't know, tell me what you think. I didn't write it very coherently but I still hope you can get what I'm saying.

Last edited by ASupervillain on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:27 am 

I don't think that naturalism requires that things be meaningless, at least on a practical level. Things might be meaningless in the sense that they don't have an eternal significance, but I don't consider day to day life meaningless. I enjoy posting at this forum, for example. Maybe it's just chemicals that drive me back here each day, and make me miss the site when it's gone. Nonetheless, I consider happiness a worthy thing to pursue, so back I come each day. It's not a huge thing, but in some small way coming here (and being involved with metal in general) gives my life meaning. Life is as meaningful as I make it. Perhaps this meaning is just a fantasy, but it's still a fantasy that I can experience and enjoy.

ASupervillain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:36 am 

Erdrickgr wrote:
I don't think that naturalism requires that things be meaningless, at least on a practical level. Things might be meaningless in the sense that they don't have an eternal significance, but I don't consider day to day life meaningless. I enjoy posting at this forum, for example. Maybe it's just chemicals that drive me back here each day, and make me miss the site when it's gone. Nonetheless, I consider happiness a worthy thing to pursue, so back I come each day. It's not a huge thing, but in some small way coming here (and being involved with metal in general) gives my life meaning. Life is as meaningful as I make it. Perhaps this meaning is just a fantasy, but it's still a fantasy that I can experience and enjoy.

Exactly, it is a fantasy, the fantasy is the only reason we can keep living, I belive that people who are suicidal and do commit suicide are people with very undeveloped fantasies or they are just too in touch with reality.
I don't think that non suicidal people, who we percieve as normal, have any idea what reality is. Only what we percieve as reality.

Avestriel
Butterfly Sister Petunia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:13 am 

All of you must read this article.

-{[(Frente Unido por la Verdad, la Ética y la Lógica)]}-

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.