* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:11 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:
I'm on the 4th book of Malazan: Book of the Fallen (House of Chains) and in case I haven't said it already, this series absolutely destroys ASOIAF.

I felt pretty let down with the realization that George R. R. Martin would never finish the series after catching up with it a few years ago, but now I don't give a shit.

I can't put Malazan down. I'm reading more than I have in years. This is probably gonna go down as my favorite book series of all time.

I'm on the 6th one, The Bonehunters and it's indeed a phenomenal series. There are some insanely epic moments and also quite a few effective gut punches and tearjerkers. I also adore the camaraderie between the characters (mainly among the bridgeburners) and the humour sprinkled here and there.

I just finished Bonehunters and am starting The Reaper's Gale. How far did you get?

The books are still as cryptic and confusing as ever, but I still get a rush to continue on reading once I finish a book.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Voldra
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:36 pm 

I'm going through Flannery O'Connor's short stories as part of my Southern Gothic kick. What a legend she was. She just gets better and better the further I read. With each story, however mundane its premise, she immediately hooks you with her intimate grasp of human neuroticism and her off-kilter visual descriptions. I enjoy as well how she integrates her own Christian spirituality in such a nuanced and unprescriptive way.

Gullhryndr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:26 am 

Osore wrote:
Gullhryndr wrote:
Osore wrote:
Another book with strong black metal vibes - Heliogabalus; or the Crowned Anarchist by Antonin Artaud. Lots of blood, deviant acts, dark magic and gruesome marvelous descriptions.

That sounds so good! Throwing that on the list of things to read. I'm just now getting back into fantasy and I'm really enjoying it.

The magic actually refers to the ancient Roman pagan practices; Heliogabalus is a pseudobiography in the avant-garde vein and not exactly a fantasy genre.
Artaud was in a lunatic asylum and wrote some letters with elements of fantasy and dreams though - he was so dellusional and paranoid (about some supposedly magic stick)...

That makes it even more interesting/attractive. I like most of my reading to inhabit that space between the mundane and the fantastic, which it sounds like this is in. I'm even more interested.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:14 am 

^ Cool, don't forget to share your impressions. ^_^

AlexMercer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:09 pm 

After finishing The Battle for Leningrad by David M Glantz. I,m reading Soviet Military Deception in the second World War by David M Glantz.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158