Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:48 pm 

Chelsea Wolfe has announced her new album: She Reaches Out to She Reaches Out to She is out February 9 via Loma Vista Recordings.

“It’s a record about the past self reaching out to the present self reaching out to the future self to summon change, growth, and guidance,” Wolfe said of her new album in a statement. “It’s a story of freeing yourself from situations and patterns that are holding you back in order to become self-empowered. It’s an invitation to step into your authenticity.”

Tracks:

01 Whispers in the Echo Chamber
02 House of Self-Undoing
03 Everything Turns Blue
04 Tunnel Lights
05 The Liminal
06 Eyes Like Nightshade
07 Salt
08 Unseen World
09 Place in the Sun
10 Dusk

Pre-order: https://bodega.lomavistarecordings.com/ ... lsea-wolfe

North America Tour dates: https://chelseawolfe.com/shows/

Video for single "Whispers in the Echo Chamber" is out now. I love everything about it, it reminds me of why I was drawn to her music and aesthetic initially; haunting but with a delicate mesmeric subtlety that carries danger and heaviness. Looking forward to the full album.

Did you need a protection amulet?

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:06 pm 

Oh that single was great! I did not know she was coming out with a new album, this is a nice surprise. I've ordered the ink in water vinyl.
Fire walk with me"

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:14 pm 

Looking forward to this. She's been quiet for a while.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:59 pm 

I have yet to hear anything she has done that I haven't totally loved. I will definitely check this one out. I always thought that it was such a travesty that boring, marginally talented artists like Taylor Swift get to be hugely rich and famous, while truely talented and visionary artists like Chelsea Wolfe remain relatively underground.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:27 pm 

Same. Chelsea is the kind of artist that I didn't know I needed, before discovering her. I like everything she did so far, no matter if it's the acoustic/folk stuff, the more sludgy material or the industrial-tinged stuff. She always delivers.
Fire walk with me"

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:10 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
Same. Chelsea is the kind of artist that I didn't know I needed, before discovering her. I like everything she did so far, no matter if it's the acoustic/folk stuff, the more sludgy material or the industrial-tinged stuff. She always delivers.

Or the grimy, gothic-ish rock, the electronic/darkwave-ish/ethereal wave-ish songs, the punky riot grrrl-ish stuff in Mrs. Piss, even the alt singer-songwriter stuff on her first album that she's disowned but I think is still pretty good - she's explored a much wider palette of sounds than a lot of artists. This will definitely be one of my most anticipated albums of next year.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:54 am 

Happy release day!

Making my way through this now and loving it so far. One of my faves thus far is this moody, melancholic piece that hearkens back to Pain Is Beauty;

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:47 am 

Not my kind of music, to be honest. One thing that always baffles me is how her music is supposedly "gothic rock, ethereal wave, darkwave, doom metal" while I can't really hear any of this. Don't mind me, of course.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:59 am 

funeralravens wrote:
Not my kind of music, to be honest. One thing that always baffles me is how her music is supposedly "gothic rock, ethereal wave, darkwave, doom metal" while I can't really hear any of this. Don't mind me, of course.

Oh we're not minding you anything...hater :-P

Still, it's a weird expectation to want an artist to conform to genre prescriptions when they've never claimed those things themselves. I suggest hearing her talk about her process and creation for some perspective, if you care at all.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:13 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Still, it's a weird expectation to want an artist to conform to genre prescriptions when they've never claimed those things themselves. I suggest hearing her talk about her process and creation for some perspective, if you care at all.

It's a great thing that she's actually doing something undoubtedly unique and influential. I'm just annoyed that it's presented as "ethereal wave" and "darkwave" (which I absolutely love), but I can't connect with it and don't even hear any similarities with these styles. It's like if someone said: "Hey, heard you like death metal, here's some fresh Slipknot for you, it's the best death metal to come out recently".

I know she's not really claiming to make music in these genres, but it's definitely being presented in this way by the fans.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:22 am 

Shouldn't let fans influence your perception of anything.

I still have only heard the thing she did with Converge. Thanks for the reminder to try her other work.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:11 pm 

Oh yeah - this is exactly the kind of stuff I like. Jarring, confrontational and beautiful in a weird way. Ethereal and odd vibe.

Exister
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:17 pm 

Much better than her last album, but I'm not sure I spent enough time with it. Every album seems so different from the other I knew that I wouldn't enjoy every album on the same level

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:35 pm 

me from the other thread here wrote:
I bought it this morning - really fucking jazzed about this actually; a genuinely fresh, vital feeling work. I haven't tried anything else she did aside from the album with Converge. I'll have to digest it more and then try her back catalogue - I've heard it's all pretty different.

There's just something kinda electrifying about it - this chilly vibe, a sort of gothic clime to it, some electronic sounds. But it doesn't wallow in its own gothiness to the point where it'd seem too lethargic, nor does it sound too poppy in the sort of way that would become tiresome. There's just this feeling created through the melding of sounds. It seems like very freeing art, very cathartic. A soulful quality. This as well as the new Madder Mortem give me the same vibe that way, albeit with different sonic tools.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:22 am 

This is her best record since Abyss, in my opinion. Loving it.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:06 pm 

seems to be her best in a couple at least indeed

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:27 pm 

Dig a few of her songs, keen to see what she brings. That title tho ha

Everyone starts out being an atheist. No one is born with belief in anything. Infants are atheists until they are indoctrinated.

https://linktr.ee/awfulnoisegrind

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:52 am 

funeralravens wrote:
Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:

It's a great thing that she's actually doing something undoubtedly unique and influential. I'm just annoyed that it's presented as "ethereal wave" and "darkwave" (which I absolutely love), but I can't connect with it and don't even hear any similarities with these styles. It's like if someone said: "Hey, heard you like death metal, here's some fresh Slipknot for you, it's the best death metal to come out recently".

I know she's not really claiming to make music in these genres, but it's definitely being presented in this way by the fans.

The thing is that she's not the type of person who likes to be put in a box, and for some of her music there aren't really any closer descriptors. She's played with quite a range of different sounds over the years, but the more common ones generally don't particularly adhere to conventions. Yet when categorizing her music for various sites or explaining it to others, it's not helpful to just tag it as "music", so some of those are the closest approximations for certain swathes of her work. It's like asking what kind of music Katatonia, Triptykon, Opeth, Devin Townsend and other genre-bending artists make, they mix too many different things together and change too much to have a simple and coherent answer.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:17 am 

After a dozen plays or so, the good thing about this is just how free and invigorated it all sounds. You hang on every note and the songs are strange and hit you where you live. Certainly gonna be one of the year's brightest moments musically.

Reply to topic