Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:35 am 

Every religious person purports to have some degree of insight into what god's "plan" is. So, this particular topic could go in a million different directions.

I'm not religious at all, so I have no skin in the game on this one.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:32 am 

Totally agree with Disembodied on the whole "God's plan" nonsense.
Like God is supposed to be beyond our imagination/understanding and we could never comprehend his greatness yet his followers are always assuming what he would think or do. Seems like he is within our understanding if we're able to map out his plan(s).

Also the whole "mysterious ways" excuse used when discussing God's inaction for mass tragedies and genocide etc is total bullshit. If he/she/it can stop all the horrors that happen and/or even allows it, how is that mysterious? It's obviously malicous and cold.

Everyone starts out being an atheist. No one is born with belief in anything. Infants are atheists until they are indoctrinated.

https://linktr.ee/awfulnoisegrind

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:42 am 

Auselesspileofflesh wrote:

Also the whole "mysterious ways" excuse used when discussing God's inaction for mass tragedies and genocide etc is total bullshit. If he/she/it can stop all the horrors that happen and/or even allows it, how is that mysterious? It's obviously malicous and cold.

Indeed. Dude seemingly checked out millennia ago...or he/she/it is just a d*ck.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:42 am 

Auselesspileofflesh wrote:

Indeed. Dude seemingly checked out millennia ago...or he/she/it is just a d*ck.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:23 am 

It's always funny to hear American mega-church pastors talk about "God's plan" when half their face is plastic.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:17 pm 

Disembodied wrote:
Hopefully this will spark some discussion: the latest 20-page Vatican statement is that sex reassignment surgery, surrogacy and gender theory "threaten human 'dignity' which puts them on par with abortion and euthanasia as practices that violate God's plan for human life".

Quote:
"God created man and woman as biologically different, separate beings, and said they must not tinker with that plan or try to "make oneself God".

"It follows that any sex-change intervention, as a rule, risks threatening the unique dignity the person has received from the moment of conception," the document said.

It also distinguished between transitioning surgeries, which it rejected, and "genital abnormalities" that are present at birth or that develop later. Those abnormalities can be "resolved" with the help of health care professionals, it said.

Does anyone here find this line of thinking defensible? How are we to know what's in "God's plan" and what isn't? Isn't that itself playing God? If we presume the existence of God, for all we know the plan might have been to be born the wrong sex and to undergo sex reassignment and the unique challenges along with it.

I can see a lot of problems with the reasoning here but obviously there are a lot of people in the world who still agree with it. It seems like the Church is increasingly grasping at straws with its reference to 'dignity' (whatever that means) and I'm surprised it's still relevant at all today. I know there have been some Orthodox people in this thread and I wonder what their take on this topic is.

With all the bullshit the Catholic church has said about contraceptives in the past and I'm pretty sure still say to then refer people with "genital abnormalities" they were born with or developed to health care professionals seems like a slippery slope or at least an amount of dishonesty on their part. I also can't imagine many health care professionals preaching against the use of contraceptives.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Last edited by CoconutBackwards on Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:20 pm 

pyratebastard wrote:
It's always funny to hear American mega-church pastors talk about "God's plan" when half their face is plastic.

Sounds like a "genital abnormality" on their face they were born with or developed had to be taken care of by a health care professional.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:34 pm 

Disembodied wrote:
Hopefully this will spark some discussion: the latest 20-page Vatican statement is that sex reassignment surgery, surrogacy and gender theory "threaten human 'dignity' which puts them on par with abortion and euthanasia as practices that violate God's plan for human life".

[...]

Does anyone here find this line of thinking defensible? How are we to know what's in "God's plan" and what isn't? Isn't that itself playing God? If we presume the existence of God, for all we know the plan might have been to be born the wrong sex and to undergo sex reassignment and the unique challenges along with it.

I can see a lot of problems with the reasoning here but obviously there are a lot of people in the world who still agree with it. It seems like the Church is increasingly grasping at straws with its reference to 'dignity' (whatever that means) and I'm surprised it's still relevant at all today. I know there have been some Orthodox people in this thread and I wonder what their take on this topic is.

Defensible? Not exactly...but I think that may be the point.

The picture of Christianity that I have in my head looks like: "Human reason is reliable only up to a point, beyond which, human beings are obliged to trust in revelation to 'understand' God's purpose for them." The revelation is supposedly provided by God, either by way of intermediaries (scripture and/or its appointed interpreters) or by way of directly communicating some sort of spiritual insight. The content of the insight might e.g. be ethical ("I shouldn't terminate this pregnancy," "I shouldn't acknowledge same-sex couples' right to marry," etc.) or theological ("God is somehow both three persons and one," "God became human in the form of the immaculately conceived Jesus," etc.) - reason by itself would never be able to afford these insights, so God graciously provides them himself.

It's...very troubling, IMO. I can pretty easily sympathize with the "Reason has its limitations" part; but the further step to "trust in intermediaries" opens the door to authoritarianism (as I think I heard a Catholic family member explicitly acknowledge). It's possible to think of it by analogy to a child being asked to trust in its parents, which I guess would tame the idea somewhat. But I find the more appropriate takeaway would be that God is an (or rather the) utterly inscrutable authority - and might, therefore, command his subjects to act in ways that look senseless and abhorrent from the human point of view. I haven't read Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling, but I think the book explores that theme via Abraham's struggle with God's command to kill his son Isaac. I think Kierkegaard even speaks of the ethical as something that might have to be "suspended," should it please God...?

I think I heard something about a Christian parent who feared that Kierkegaard could create more apostates than any atheistic author.

EDIT (4/10) - Speaking of euthanasia, this is slightly off-topic, but I only today found this Website created by a woman moments prior to her self-administered euthanasia, from about a decade ago. It's all kinds of moving - beautiful, heartbreaking, inspiring, appalling (I mean, appalling to think that any individual or institution would persist in their opposition to her decision!): https://www.deadatnoon.com/index.html

jackies_eclaire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:48 pm 

mr macabre wrote:
Okay, how many ATHEISTS are there around here? Can you believe in a god/gods and still be a fan of this music, specifically black or death metal?
Have you always been an atheist, or were you a believer who has changed their opinion on the subject of religion? I was born and raised in a catholic family with 3 sisters who went to catholic school for all 12 years. I only lasted 9 years before finishing in a public school. I've come to realize that I've been an atheist my entire life.

I've never believed a word of that bullshit, and I haven't seen a single piece of evidence that supports their existence. It's all manmade mythology. Christians will say that they have to take it on "faith", but that's just the excuse you use when you don't have any evidence that what you believe is even true. Faith isn't enough.

I'm the only Atheist in a family of devout believers in christianity. My wife and I have been married for over 41 years now, despite being polar opposites on the subject. We have 2 kids who have families of their own, and they're all christians as well. All 4 of our grandkids are being raised in the christian church.

They all dislike my tastes in music, movies, books, TV shows, and Halloween. We've had to agree to disagree on these things. They do their thing, and I do mine.

Fuck God, burn all his filthy churches.
https://linktr.ee/cultofoblivion

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:28 pm 

Tell us how you really feel?

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

OlroxPhase2
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:39 am 

Atheism lost its luster socially when it tried to replace religion. Positivist, optimistic atheists should have focused their efforts on promoting secularism instead of directly attacking other religions.

Not all people have the same intelligence level or emotional ability to live in a world devoid of metaphysics.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6