Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:41 pm 

Sad news. He was 79 years old. Anyone who was into the late 90's counter culture crash TV that included South Park and the WWE Attitude era will have fond memories of proudly the worst show to ever air on television.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:52 am 

RIP to the most famous mayor in Cincinnati history.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:06 pm 

The godfather of trash tv, RIP and thanks for your contribution to society... :grumble:

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:20 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
The godfather of trash tv, RIP and thanks for your contribution to society... :grumble:

LOL
I have to admit that I did indeed watch it sporadically in the early 90s.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:08 pm 

If you want to learn about what the real attitude, of real rock and roll music is, watch the episode where he interviews GG Allin. It’s not about what kind of car you drive, what clothes you wear, who you hang out with, or how much money you make. Rock and roll is the fury from within you. It’s revenge.

I appreciate Jerry Springer, for giving us that television moment. The earlier, moral panic stuff, is more interesting than the adultery stuff, later on. But I can appreciate what Springer stood for. He stood for actual freedom of expression, and an actual tolerant society, and actual discussion. Too many people today just want to think they already know everything, and stay ignorant.

People complaining, and calling it “trash,” they need to take a look in the mirror. Their kids wouldn’t be seeking that out, if they hadn’t figured out that information’s being withheld from them. Shows like his only got so popular, because “respectable” TV was so unwatchably boring. If you want to argue that he was harmful, for “giving a platform,” to bad people, anyone who joined the Ku klux klan, after seeing them on Jerry Springer, is too stupid to listen to reason anyways.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:03 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:

People complaining, and calling it “trash,” they need to take a look in the mirror. Their kids wouldn’t be seeking that out, if they hadn’t figured out that information’s being withheld from them. Shows like his only got so popular, because “respectable” TV was so unwatchably boring. If you want to argue that he was harmful, for “giving a platform,” to bad people, anyone who joined the Ku klux klan, after seeing them on Jerry Springer, is too stupid to listen to reason anyways.

If you need to watch garbage to make yourself feel better about yourself, than take your own look in the mirror.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:34 am 

R.I.P. to the man that made the catch-cry "Jer-ry! Jer-ry!" banned at my high school for instigating and encouraging fights. :lol:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 12:32 am 

HA HA

Spoiler: show
Did you need a protection amulet?

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 12:37 pm 

I think it's funny how the show started off as a very serious and dire talk show, with topics such as alienation, poverty, and gun control, as opposed to having topics along the lines of "My Sister Stole My Husband!" and "I'm Sleeping with Your Man!", that it would become best known for.

I also found his self-deprecating sense of humor in interviews to be funny. He really knew how to poke fun at himself.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:02 pm 

I'm from the suburbs of Chicago and he was huge deal around here. It was fun to watch the show and catch a glimpse of someone you recognized in the audience. The local NBC affiliate hired him to do commentary on the 10 o'clock news which was a PR disaster. Their long-time and well-respected anchors quit in protest and his spot last for two episodes.

For a while, when I was probably a senior in high school, my friends and I used to watch his show a lot just to see the fights and the insane topics. I went to one taping of his show in the mid 90s, I think it was '95, so I had just started college. I remember that the taping was on Halloween. The episode was relatively tame, as far as fighting went (there was, as I remember, only one attempt at a fight). Jerry was always amusing because everyone could see that he just thought the entire thing was ridiculous.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 9:53 am 

Jerry!! Jerry!! Jerry!!

TorontoSsuuckss
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 11:33 am 

What happened to the dwarf that fucked the other guy‘s wife?

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 1:35 am 

Jerry always seemed somewhat bewildered by the subjects he interviewed on the show. He would often ask with genuine confusion why people would choose to disclose their most intimate secrets on a nationally syndicated show. On more than one occasion the response was simply "it's safer for me to do it here", or something to that effect. "Why would you choose to disclose to your wife of 7 years that you have been having an affair with the baby sitter on national television?"

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Shadowy Existence
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 1:47 am 

Terri23 wrote:
Sad news. He was 79 years old. Anyone who was into the late 90's counter culture crash TV that included South Park and the WWE Attitude era will have fond memories of proudly the worst show to ever air on television.

Oh yeah, I have a lot of fond memories of Jerry Springer. I remember when he first started out, he had a lot of those ignorant guys who were involved in those racist and antii-Semitic cults like the Ku Klux Klan and America's Nazi Party - such as Gordon Parks, Jeff Berry, Tom Metzger, Arthur Jones, Jack Grimes, JD Adler, Reverend Lombardy, Matthew Hale, etc. His show eventually delved into other topics; he did 1 or 2 shows on GWAR - the legendary punk metal band hailing from the RVA USA - and that little kid who was a diehard fan of them and then there was that other episode entitled "My Teen Worships Satan", about a young fellow getting involved in a local Satanic cult and fighting his Mother. What was so ironic about that particular show was that his girlfriend was CHRISTIAN (?!?!). Another interesting episode of Jerry Springer that I'm still trying to see was that one about old Barney The Dinosaur and his Archenemy - that other character whose name I forget. (He made a quick reference to the Crips and the Bloods Street Gangs.) What really made that episode interesting was when that Preacher Guy came on the show's panel and started ranting and raving about Barney being the AntiChrist and all of that stuff; I didn't even get a chance to see the rest of that show after that. There was also that Golden Moment where the late Rodney Dangerfield made an appearance on that show and had everybody rolling. Yeah, there were a lot of other more controversial shows that I liked, but they were simply too raunchy for me 2 bring up here on this Message-Board Forum. Not only do I miss Jerry Springer's old shows but I also miss Geraldo Riviera's old shows (He's still alive, from what I know!), the Late Morton Downey, Jr. Show and Late Night With Dick Dietrick (or however one spells his name). Those were the Good 'Ol Days of Trashy Talk Television then, when the subject matter was diverse, shocking (as it was supposed to be) and interesting. Nowadays, we have a few certain talk shows that almost exclusively deal with that boring and repetitious Babydaddy And Babymama Drama. (What a WASTE of airtime; who cares?) However though, that's Life and I realize that I just gotta move on. Final Thoughts: Until next time, take good care of yourselves and each other. Rest In Peace Forever, Jerry Springer. (Jer-ry! Jer-ry! Jer-ry! Jer-ry! Jer-ry!).
"Black Metal deals with the theme of the Soul, whereas Death Metal deals with the issue of the Body." - Differences Between Death Metal And Black Metal Horrorcore Rap is Hip Hop's "Death Metal" while Pirate Metal is Heavy Metal's "Gangsta Rap".

Reply to topic