Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
j_bentley12885
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:02 pm 

Quit 12 years ago(and counting) and that was a motherfucker. I mostly rolled my own. At various times I smoked Top, Gambler, Midnight Special. My favorite was Drum though.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:12 pm 

You’re a beast man! I don’t have any clue how I will stop one day, I should do it right now but it seems like I have other priorities.

IanDonovan6
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:18 am 

I mostly smoke Marlboros and waves but am not picky when I'm broke.

I'm working on ditching my smoking habit though very soon.

FINO ALLA MORTE
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:37 am 

Raven_Augustus wrote:
Regarding weed, I personally can't stand the smell. Worse than normal cigarettes.

I cannot stand the stench of pot either. Wish pot smokers were forced or some sort of legality proposed to make smoking illegal outdoors. It is worse for the lungs than cigarettes too. There's really nothing beneficial about it. Cigar and pipe tobacco smoke also smell better.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:32 am 

VSQVE AD MORTEM wrote:
It is worse for the lungs than cigarettes too. There's really nothing beneficial about it.

I think you have your facts wrong

FINO ALLA MORTE
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:16 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
VSQVE AD MORTEM wrote:
It is worse for the lungs than cigarettes too. There's really nothing beneficial about it.

I think you have your facts wrong

https://health.wusf.usf.edu/health-news ... tudy-shows

BillyR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:50 am 

Smoked Marlboro red for 20 years, gave up 2 years ago as the price is beyond stupid these days.

Instead ill enjoy a cigar with a nice whiskey once in a while.

Or the occasional joint with a nice whiskey and a good album.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:28 am 

VSQVE AD MORTEM wrote:

Very interesting read, thanks for sharing.

BillyR wrote:
Or the occasional joint with a nice whiskey and a good album.

How difficult is to get weed in England?

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:48 pm 

If cannabis actually caused respiratory problems, or cancer, you’d see a stastistical trend, a big one, in countries where lots of people do it. But you don’t. The only way you can “prove” this, is to cherry pick studies, done by government agencies, or government universities, who say what the government wants, so that they keep getting money.

Even if, theoretically, there is some negative roses effect, of smoking cannabis, it’s not going to end up being significant, because you can’t even use as much of it, as you can cigarettes. You can smoke cannabis, and run a fast mile time, the average cigarette smoker gets winded, walking up a flight of stairs.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

BillyR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:20 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
How difficult is to get weed in England?

Very very easy, always has been really. Despite it still being illegal for some stupid reason.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:19 pm 

Weed has been legal in Canada since 2018 yet we can’t smoke anywhere, not even in your apartment or house unless you own the place. And our dispensaries sell overpriced weed with fancy fucking names. Our fucking government knows how to make money by exploiting people vices.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:38 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
VSQVE AD MORTEM wrote:

Very interesting read, thanks for sharing.

That link didn't pass the smell test for me (heh) since it was just a two paragraph news story about a study that kept things vague, so I looked up the study itself.

The stated conclusion in the abstract:
Emphasis mine wrote:
Airway inflammation and emphysema were more common in marijuana smokers than in nonsmokers and tobacco-only smokers, although variable interobserver agreement and concomitant cigarette smoking among the marijuana-smoking cohort limits our ability to draw strong conclusions.

Further elaborated in the main body wrote:
Our study had limitations. First, the small sample size precluded us from drawing strong conclusions. Second, the retrospective nature of the study had its own inherent limitations. Third, there was inconsistent quantification of patient marijuana use, due in part to the previous illegal nature of marijuana possession, which led to a lack of patient reporting. Accurate quantification is further complicated by the fact that users often share joints, use different inhalation techniques, and use marijuana of varying potency. Fourth, given that most marijuana smokers also smoke tobacco, the synergistic effects of these two substances cannot be effectively evaluated. Fifth, only a portion of patients could be age matched, since the tobacco-only cohort was taken from the lung cancer screening study and the patients were aged at least 50 years. Due to the age mismatch in the larger cohort, there are differences in the duration of smoking. Lastly, variable interobserver agreement limits our ability to draw strong conclusions about bronchial wall thickening and bronchiectasis.

So basically the sample size was small (and patient reports were pulled from people who received chest ct scans, so everybody was gonna have some sort of lung damage anyway, what they were actually looking for was the difference in severity), reporting was unreliable since weed was illegal for so long, determining average amounts is difficult because you share joints but not darts and tend to smoke in different ways, and most importantly, almost all of the marijuana smokers also smoked cigarettes. Specifically:

Quote:
Our ability to quantify marijuana use was limited, with a daily amount specified in only 28 of 56 patients; average marijuana consumption among these patients was 1.85 g per day (range, 0.25–9.25 g per day). There were 50 of 56 marijuana-smokers who also smoked tobacco, with pack-year data specified in only 47 patients; average smoking history was 25 pack-years (range, 0–100 pack-years) (14).

So basically what the study showed is that inhaling smoke is bad for you, which like... no shit? I don't think anybody argues that. The whole "it's better for you" argument comes from the fact that it has genuine therapeutic qualities as a painkiller and doesn't tend to come with a whole bunch of carcinogenic filler shit that cigs are bundled with, not that it's equivalent to fuckin' broccoli or whatever. The actually interesting part of that whole study was that the type of lung damage was slightly different between people who didn't smoke weed and those who did, likely owing to taking in larger amounts and holding it for longer, but that's not the headline that the lazy original link ran with.

tl;dr - Breathing in smoke is never good for you but anybody who says weed is uniquely worse than cigarettes is either lying or misinformed.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

TorontoSsuuckss
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:59 am 

No, so gross. Can't believe I've dated so many smokers in the past. Only ever smoked a few as a kid and mixed with weed. Just feels filthy now and hate how it clings to skin and clothes. Pure capitalist evil, glad it's finally being defeated.

Autopsyofhate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:28 pm 

I usually get L&M reds or pallmall blues

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:38 pm 

Smoked cigarettes for about 35 years...was making my own with organic tobacco right before I quit. Ran out of tubes one day and I said fuck it, I'm done. That will be a decade now in December.

That said, I do take a few bong rips a day.

Like your reviews?

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:53 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Smoked cigarettes for about 35 years...was making my own with organic tobacco right before I quit. Ran out of tubes one day and I said fuck it, I'm done. That will be a decade now in December.

That said, I do take a few bong rips a day.

How has your lung health improved?

Bad at Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:05 am 

I smoke marb red 100s and various varieties of American spirits. Sometimes I pick up a pack of lucky strikes or something else cheap like. I generally smoke at shows and at rehearsals and keep it to a minimum otherwise. Hell of a vice and expensive these days, too. About $12 a pack here in Oregon. I take long breaks sometimes. Not sure why, but I do. Smoking is nice in moderation I feel. Same with drinking. Both habits can get out of hand fast, but if you keep it to a minimum it’s a rather enjoyable vice.

splatter_kiss
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:49 pm 

I've been an inveterate smoker for a lot of years, i used to smoke Camels and Marlboros, going on with the years i had reached about 30 cigarettes a day, my breath was heavy affected by smoke. Luckily some years ago i quitted smoking and i began vaping e-cig, now without combustion and tar i can say that my lungs are pretty clean, thought i'm still highly addicted by nicotine, and i think i'll never be able to do anything with this. I promised to myself i'll never smoke a cigarette again in my life

FINO ALLA MORTE
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:59 pm 

Reduced Risk Products Become a Larger Part of the Backbar Conversation - https://csnews.com/reduced-risk-product ... nversation

Reduced risk products should be encouraged for those who don't want to quit tobacco. Cheaper prices too! I'm in the double whammy category as I had already mentioned that I'm a smoker and a dipper. Going the nicotine pouch route is always an option also.

In my honest opinion about vaping, I don't think it's safer than smoking cigarettes. The lungs are still greatly impacted by the vapor a vape produces when inhaled. The vapor contains mire heavy metals than that of a traditional cigarette.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 11:04 pm 

Gave up smoking many years ago now, but my go to was Peter Stuyvesant of Lucky Strikes when they sold them here in Australia. Gave it away for the smell, the cost (our government like to gouge on vices too, to the point of ridiculousness) and health reasons.

Yes I vape now, but for how long here seems up in the air as our draconian dickhead politicians seem hell-bent on banning it outright, because "please! Think of the children!", and basically putting us who vape in the same category as methadone users. It's annoying to import nicotine, as you can only buy vape liquid with no nicotine here. It should just be regulated like in New Zealand where it's perfectly legal and a option against cigarettes, but no, sadly.

My collection

FINO ALLA MORTE
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 12:02 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Gave up smoking many years ago now, but my go to was Peter Stuyvesant of Lucky Strikes when they sold them here in Australia. Gave it away for the smell, the cost (our government like to gouge on vices too, to the point of ridiculousness) and health reasons.

Yes I vape now, but for how long here seems up in the air as our draconian dickhead politicians seem hell-bent on banning it outright, because "please! Think of the children!", and basically putting us who vape in the same category as methadone users. It's annoying to import nicotine, as you can only buy vape liquid with no nicotine here. It should just be regulated like in New Zealand where it's perfectly legal and a option against cigarettes, but no, sadly.

I've heard that Australia has the highest tobacco prices in the world at the moment. There should be fixed prices in my opinion where the taxes on them don't keep going up. Governments would probably have a higher revenue if products were affordable. It seems legal pot(unfortunately) won't be treaty like tobacco and solely nicotine products.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 4:34 am 

I was never a big smoker, nowhere near a pack a day, and would quit for months at a time. Eventually gave it up for three years but relapsed nearly two years ago. Now I'm on about 10-15 Golden Virginia roll-ups a day and waiting for a good moment to stop again. That shit killed my Dad and I don't want to go the same way, it really is just fucking poison.

ironmaidens_666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:58 am 

FINO ALLA MORTE wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:

I've heard that Australia has the highest tobacco prices in the world at the moment. There should be fixed prices in my opinion where the taxes on them don't keep going up. Governments would probably have a higher revenue if products were affordable. It seems legal pot(unfortunately) won't be treaty like tobacco and solely nicotine products.

It's becoming a nanny state.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:05 am 

A smoking thread?? Haha!

I smoked Dunhill's and Amercian Spirits....up until lung cancer.....such a bitch....quit cold tuna and haven't smoked since! When I see other people smoking I go stand next to them hahaha. Love that smell, especially after a couple of oil cans :beer:

Overall I'm doing a lot better and feel better too. It's been almost 3 years now. I don't fault or hate on anyone for smoking and say more power to you. Don't preach or nag folks either. I had my turn and now it's done: I say enjoy yourself!

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:24 pm 

pyratebastard wrote:
Well, I didn't knock it the fuck off last April like I was hoping I might when I posted this.

However, I did knock it off at the end of August, and I haven't had or wanted one since. Great success!

It's been about a week since I hit one year without a cigarette. The first time I quit, I made it two years before picking it back up. Let's see if I can match or exceed that this time, eh?

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:03 pm 

pyratebastard wrote:
pyratebastard wrote:
Well, I didn't knock it the fuck off last April like I was hoping I might when I posted this.

However, I did knock it off at the end of August, and I haven't had or wanted one since. Great success!

It's been about a week since I hit one year without a cigarette. The first time I quit, I made it two years before picking it back up. Let's see if I can match or exceed that this time, eh?

Mother fuck I used to love smoking so gad damn much!! I wanted to smoke forever!
Then cancer said to me

"what's up man?".

And I had to, you know, quit 'n stuff.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:37 pm 

deadtome wrote:
Mother fuck I used to love smoking so gad damn much!! I wanted to smoke forever!
Then cancer said to me

"what's up man?".

I hear that. I was hoping to not take it that far, and luckily, I stopped enjoying them.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:26 pm 

pyratebastard wrote:
deadtome wrote:
Then cancer said to me

"what's up man?".

I hear that. I was hoping to not take it that far, and luckily, I stopped enjoying them.

You'll miss it, but feel a hell of a whole lot better! And have more money for records :)

pentalarc22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:08 pm 

I smoke. I've tried to quit several times, but I know I will need less stress to do so, because that's what really sets me off. I've cut down to around a half pack a day though. May not seem like a big thing, but I smoked 2 1/2 packs a day in college. Switched to vaping for a while, and might switch back as a stepping stone. When I get back on my meds, I might try chantix.

Dumbest thing I tried to do to quit was to switch to nothing but cloves.

To finish the survey: Normally Seneca blue/light 100's. If I can't get them (you have to be near a reservation, basically, which I currently am) Marlboro Special Blend gold/light 100's

AdGloriamLeviathan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:57 pm 

I've been smoking for about 15 years, and after 2 tries of quitting it (using patches, vaping and sheer will) i'm still unable to do it. I've lived hard times (besides pandemics like everyone else), personal hard times, full of stress, mental conditions and constant changes, and those things make me to keep smoking, I'm about 1 package per day rn. Usually smoke Lucky Strike red or Marlboro red, but if I have low budget, I can smoke anything cheap enough to get my shot of nicotine.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:36 pm 

Smoking is a bitch because it's so good! I wish it was still a reality for me, but honestly, I'd be dead if I smoke again.

Cendelence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:12 am 

This thread is interesting to me for a lot of different reasons. I could talk about how my mind wraps around the ritual of smoking for a long time. I didn't understand the appeal of cigarettes when I was younger. My friends would run out and bug me to buy us a pack, but they didn't get you "high," per say, so I only ever did so begrudgingly. I didn't understand what a nicotine buzz was until I went to college, tried dip and learned what it felt like to take five hits in a row from a vape.

I can stay away from nicotine if I don't have a job. If I do, break culture gets the best to me and I can't stop myself from catching a buzz every time I go outside to break down boxes. I'm a student right now and I'm wanting a job in an office where taking a trip down the elevator to smoke would be socially irredeemable.

To talk about smoking in general I'd say I'm addicted to the pain if that makes sense. As someone whose blatantly addicted to marijuana, I told myself that if I graduate to dabs I'll spend less of my life pacing while I smoke, but it hasn't really worked out like that. It's true it is like the difference between drinking a beer and slamming three shots, but your lungs get scorched. I know that the current school of thought is low temp dabs, but I can't get on with my day without the ones that hurt you. I'm never high in public. It's something that I'm completely alone in. I hate to think of all of the times I have been slow to react.

DoomedShinobi
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:40 pm 

I used to be a regular smoker, but a while back, I decided to change. The health risks associated with smoking cigarettes were a significant concern for me, leading me to look for safer alternatives. That's when I discovered vaping, specifically Zero Nicotine Vape Plant products.

What I appreciate about Zero Nicotine Vape Plant is that it offers the experience of smoking without the dangers associated with nicotine and tobacco. This made the transition from cigarettes much smoother for me. Plus, they're pretty affordable. I often find them on sale for around $10, more accessible to the wallet than regular cigarette expenses. If you're interested in exploring this alternative, you can see the collection and find something that might suit your preferences and needs.

Last edited by DoomedShinobi on Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goatizer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:28 pm 

Just quit a couple of months ago, it takes about a quarter ounce a day and thrive losanges to stay quit, i was smoking 4 20 packs of smokes a day, so it’s a big step for the lungs and the wallet.

Goatizer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:29 pm 

Goatizer wrote:
Just quit a couple of months ago, it takes about a quarter ounce a day and thrive losanges to stay quit, i was smoking 4 20 packs of smokes a day, so it’s a big step for the lungs and the wallet.

I still have one from time to time but I’m able to not pick it up again

FINO ALLA MORTE
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:12 am 

Coalition Meets With OMB To Urge Dropping Menthol Prohibition

Tim Andrews 12/01/2023

Earlier today, Americans for Tax Reform, Taxpayers Protection Alliance, the R St Institute, and the National Taxpayers Union concluded a joint meeting with The Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, a Division of the President’s Office of Management and Budget to express deep concerns about the Food and Drug Administration’s proposal to ban menthol cigarettes. The proposed ban is opposed by a coalition from all sides of politics, including taxpayer groups, consumer organizations, public health experts, civil liberty advocates, and social justice organizations.

“This proposal fails on every level. It refuses to address the costs, and falsely overinflates the benefits. It is based on fundamentally flawed principles and would have no public health benefit. It would come at great cost to taxpayers, businesses, and law enforcement, and it would benefit only international criminal syndicates. The Biden Administration needs to reject the failed prohibitionist policies of the past, and embrace evidence-based tobacco harm reduction policies” – Tim Andrews, Director of Consumer Issues, Americans for Tax Reform

“Banning products that are declining in use among adults, as well as essentially non-existent use among youth, while rejecting harm reduction is another example of America’s public health agency failing to do its job. Not only does the proposed ban fail to consider great declines in smoking rates, it also ignores wide-sweeping negative externalities that will have real impact on states and, most importantly, taxpayers who are forced to deal with increased costs of enforcing such a ban” – Lindsey Stroud, Director, Consumer Center, Taxpayers Protection Alliance

“Abstinence-only approaches do not work at a population level for any type of risky behavior. Where menthol prohibition has been tried, in Canada, California, and Massachusetts the evidence clearly shows it failed to reduce smoking rates. Policies that try to restrict behaviors via prohibition and criminalization are always followed by various unintended negative consequences.” – Dr Jeffrey S. Smith, Senior Fellow, Harm Reduction, R Street Institute

According to the Center for Disease Control’s National Youth Tobacco Survey fewer than 0.6% of students smoked menthol cigarettes, and independent analysis has shown it is likely to cost the federal government $1.9 billion and state governments a total of $4.7 billion in lost tax revenues.

https://www.atr.org/coalition-meets-with-omb-to-urge-dropping-menthol-prohibition/

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:42 am 

Goatizer wrote:

How did you manage to smoke so many cigarettes within 24 hours? Did you sleep smoke?

Goatizer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:55 pm 

Well, I don’t work and am on disability for mental illness, all of a sudden that’s like winning the lottery in Canada, I get arrested if not injected because they’re worried I’ll deteriorate... so I have all day to just sit around and do that

Ali Gothika
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:30 am 

Actually I quit smoking back in 2010...My favorite brand of cigarettes was Marlboro Menthol Lights, I used to be like one of those chain smokers--smoked over a pack a day...I quit cause I wound up in the hospital with pneumonia...

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:38 pm 

Well, I visited home for Christmas for a week and decided to smoke while I was at the bar there, so I bought a carton and went through 4 packs during my trip. Now I've got six packs in my freezer at home waiting for me to go on another fun binge. Ah, life in your mid-30s.

Green-pack Camel Crush - it will definitely be a bummer if menthols disappear.

Only_Perception wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next