Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
zonfar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:45 pm 

This genre fits any psychedelic people out there, although i'm sure you could enjoy it not being into psyches. I was never into trance, because it all seemed too repetitive to me, and because of that it got boring very fast. (although to get in a trance, things tend to be repetitive haha).

The cool thing about psytrance is that is has the trance element of having that constant bass thud, while also throwing in random noises and melodies that are constantly changing throughout each song. The tempo is a nice energetic tempo, without being so crazy where it is raising your heart beat to uncomfortable levels, but not so slow that it's boring and wanting to speed up. The transitions and buildup's get super intense and have you screaming in your head, oh man it's about to happen, its about to happen! Then the buildup ends, and all the pressure that was felt is released.

I know this definitely won't be everyone's cup of tea, but i'm curious if there are any people out there who are into this genre since it's a bit out there?

The album He.art by Astrix is amazing. It's so clean and has all the elements of what I believe makes good psytrance.

Here's a song by Astrix off the album He.art - Valley of Stevie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6F-KErk7uE

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:55 pm 

Yeah, you're about 20 years late to the party on that one to be quite honest! Been listening for 2/3rd of my entire life and producing it for half as long as that. Many people on this forum a big psytrance heads too.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:48 am 

Dude this is fucking cool. I'm going to bookmark it for next time the missus is over and I get some. Thanks op

Stronthor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:33 pm 

I've always been heavily into various kinds of electronic music and goa/psy is no exception. First heard of the genre as a young kid some 20 years ago when I came across some tracks by Astral Projection (their original '95 version of Mahadeva being my all-time favorite goa/psy tune). Definitely made an impression at the time but I was a bit too young to really get into it back then. Around age 16 I found a few people who shared my interest in the music so we would regularly go to psy parties in the Amsterdam area, great times. These days I'm not too much into the full-on stuff, it's gotten a bit stale and cheesy in my opinion. I really enjoy the slightly more subtle and laidback prog stuff though, Liquid Soul being one of my go-to's. Also love me some darkpsy, check out Sanaton records for some quality brainfucking if that's your thing.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:24 pm 

Where to begin...

My first exposure to any trance at all, in any of its forms, was goa trance, which is to say old-school/retro psytrance. This was maybe 15 years ago. I listen to a variety of dance electronica and I cycle through things a fair bit, but I would say for the majority of those 15 years the primary form I listened to has been goa or psy of some sort or another.

I have little use for the so-called "future prog" of acts like Vini Vici, at least when listening alone at home. That sort of bro-ed out triplet/16th-note abuse can be fine in small doses in a club setting but I just can't take it seriously at home. The sort of stuff that acts like Astrix play now---I've seen it called tech psy; it's essentially a hybrid of psyprog, full-on, and mainstream trance---is much better by comparison, but it can still get old.

Goa trance still has produced the majority of the best material in the psytrance realm. Astral Projection, Chi-A.D., Pleiadians, Artifact303; these are among my favorites. The polyphonic melodies and the bursting analog synthesizers are the sorts of things that the Astrix's and Vini Vici's and Zyce's of the world just do not have. Those guys are mostly bass with abstract noises thrown in throughout, and one or two melodies that peak through. Goa trance is mostly melodies, and lots of them. It can be dark and heavy, it can be uplifting, it can be serious, it can be cheesy. Goa can pretty much be anything, while still sounding like goa.

Some goa stuff:
Spoiler: show

Here's some more modern/"mainstream" psy that I like:
Spoiler: show

The psy I generally don't like is the super abstract stuff like forest, darkpsy, hi-tech...where it's just random noises at 160+ beats per minute. There's kind of an ongoing joke within the psy community that the entire forest psy genre is just generated by computer algorithms written by the same five people using different pseudonyms. Most of what I've heard of it I think is garbage and if I want abstract music I'll listen to dark ambient.

Overall: in general, regardless of the mood (dark, light, uplifting, whatever), my preference is for psytrance to be more melody-based rather than bass-driven; to be polyphonic; and it gets extra bonus points if it has acid (analog or digital, either is fine). Acid synthesizer sounds are like the heavy metal of dance music.

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:38 pm 

holy shit, nice to see this here, I dig Goa trance more
Goatma being my all-time go to
I am gonna leave this here for anyone interested getting into various forms of psytrance music, a great net-label to dive into http://ektoplazm.com

Don Karlos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:53 am 

Since its beginning when in early 90's i was going to parties with my GF at the time , Now i listen mostly different DJ's from tube, Astrix is good pick, i like more of is early stuff, first is classic.

These describe well what sort of i like, Alpha Portal (Astrix+Ace Ventura)

My fav DJ.

Surely its not to be confused with other genres of trance, i think it has nothing in common with "ibiza"- crap (its like comparing SX to Battle beast XD), and it shares some qualities with metal like progression in songs, good tempo, melodies and some sort of riffs.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:21 am 

I'm a DarkPsy fan, myself!

nurelgrc
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:07 pm 

Embarassing 2nd post in the Mecca of metal forums but here we are. I did not expect to find this thread here

Psytrance is very nice, I recommend going to week long festivals and eating lots of tabs, it is great fun. I am mainly into Full on, Darkpsy and Forest

As far as artists go, Astral Projection, Tristan and Avalon are my favorites

Reply to topic