Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:15 pm 

Anyone get DEE's (Wovenhand, 16 Horsepower) and Alexander Hacke's album Risha? My copy just arrived in the mail and it's pretty good, though I've only had the chance to listen to it once so far. I know there are at least a few Wovenhand and 16HP fans here.

Unaerth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:40 pm 

I REALLY dig Wovenhand, but have not been able to appreciate 16 Horsepower as much (it always feels odd to me that it doesn't resonate, like I am doing something "wrong" that keeps me from "getting it" like I do his other material). I was not aware of the project you mentioned above, but will check it out. Initial listen does not speak to me initially, but will give it a fair shake. Thanks for sharing!

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:04 pm 

Right on. I too was introduced to DEE's music through Wovenhand and had a bit of a difficult time getting into 16HP. They're different for sure, but in more recent times I've found myself gravitating more towards 16HP than WH. My favorite release of theirs is Live March 2001. I recommend maybe giving that album a shot (available on youtube). Though each 16HP album has quite a different feel than the last so it's really up to preference.

After listening to Risha a few times, it's definitely not my favorite album DEE has ever been involved with, but I also suspect it'll be a grower for me. There's a lot going on, just more subtly which repeated listens will may help with appreciating that.

Reply to topic