Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkhness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:05 am 

Anybody else a fan of Frank Klepacki here? For a quick rundown, he's basically a composer and musician that makes and made a lot of music for Westwood Studios (famous for Red Alert 1 and 2.). What I've noticed is that over the years his work has taken on a lot more electronic/industrial sounds to it, with the biggest example being Hell March, Hell March 2, and then Hell March 2.

Wikipedia lists him as an industrial musician, which I guess might be fair to say even though I'm very inexperienced in the genre. My favorite work of his is the stuff he did for Red Alert 1 and 2, and the expansion.

My two personal favorites from him:

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:57 am 

yeh, I like him.

before I had access to other music, I was a fan of him on C&C games and WWE music. other than TV/radio, that's all I had...and, well, I wouldn't be on this forum if the radio wasn't shit.

kinda weird to think that was like 20 years ago.

Last edited by Erotetic on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:52 pm 

Frank Klepacki is the man! His soundtracks to all the original C&C games were amazing. I've delved into his solo stuff as well, which doesn't have the same immediate nostalgia value for me, but fits right in with that sort of guitar industrial type thing from his soundtracks. Good sort of high-energy background music for physical labor or working out (or another action game that doesn't have as good of a soundtrack of its own ;) ).

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:46 am 

Now hearing the C&C: Tiberian Dawn soundtrack again after like 20 years, it still fucking rules. Can still remember how every one of those songs went. We used to play that game like hell with my cousin. The only game we might've played more was Dune 2: The Battle for Arrakis with Amiga. Some of that soundtrack sounds like good industrial metal now. Didn't have a name for it back then, it was just cool.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:48 pm 

Frank Klepacki was absoutely the man on those C&C games. My dad still listens to "Hell March" here and there and he doesn't like heavy anything anymore. It was a phase for him, not so much for this guy :headbang: It's funny because Klepacki comes up here and there when I drink with him so I'm glad there's a thread about him. On reddit there was a great video about the evolution of his music. I'll try to find it.

Edit: Here's the video:

I like how they blended similar sounds across different games. This guy is a video game music king, like Nobuo Uematsu whose music absolutely made FFVIII for me. That game was beautiful, as disorienting the story was at times. I only made it as as far as that boss battle on disc 4 when you fight Sorceress Adel with Rinoa on her chest. I couldn't beat it because I was so GF heavy that I didn't max out my magic and kept killing Rinoa or getting killed. I'll have to try another playthrough sometime, even bought the game again because my old discs from when I was in sixth grade were too scratched to keep going when I started again. One of these days I'll finish that game the right way. /tangent

Still, how can you not remember C&C without that grumbly guitar while fighting for the beachhead? How can you not hear that deafening voice over the loudspeakers while conquering or saving New York? Klepacki made Command and Conquer whole with his music.

One song that I only heard on the later greatest hits soundtrack, long after I had scratched up my original discs and had to buy the C&C package before RA2 came out was C&C Thang.
So funky but man is the cringe palpable. Yea yea ye-ye-ye-yeah!

Reply to topic