Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:45 am 

Alien Weaponry is a band from Waipu, New Zealand, consisting of three teenage friends honoring Maori culture. The band sings in Maori language, occasionally uses traditional instruments and addresses cultural and historical topics. The band's debut full length record Tū was released about a month ago. The band isn't on the archives because it flirts with groove metal and a few core stylistics but the trio certainly is unique enough to give it a try. If you like bands such as Sepultura and Soulfly, you can't get around them. The following video represents the band spirit rather well in my book.

Youtube: show

Has anyone listened to the entire debut album and could share her or his impressions?

PS: There seems to be a problem with the link, so here it is again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kwIkF6LFDc

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:25 am 

Haven't listened to the whole album but checked them out because I'll see them live soon (opening for Nervosa). While the music might not be very original I think it's alright for a casual listen. Digging the Maori theme though! Very nice clean vocals too in the song you linked. Should be a good gig anyway.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:55 am 

These kids are only about 15 years old. They describe themselves as thrash metal. I hope over time they are able to develop their musical chops to be able to play something more truly close to that, as well as finish school. They are getting a pretty big push here in NZ, and already setting off to tour the world. Hopefully some greasy record exec doesn't chew them up and spit them out. It would be good to see them in a "band who got all the breaks" thread in the future, not a "band who dropped all the breaks" one.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:23 am 

This is pretty cool. It'd would be nice to see these kids grow up and develop,hopefully they don't end up getting a raw deal like that one band Unlocking the Truth did, which also consisted of kids around their age who were a media darling until the media lost interest in them. Pretty neat to see tribal influenced metal, as always, even if it's a bit groovy and chuggy.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:09 am 

Cheapsteaks wrote:
Pretty neat to see tribal influenced metal, as always, even if it's a bit groovy and chuggy.

That's how I feel about it, too. There was also some video making the rounds on Facebook of a punjabi-themed metal band that were clearly influenced by Lamb of God and Devildriver, but the unique angle on it was super interesting.

DeadKid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:15 am 

I've seen them live a couple of times and picked up the CD - it's pretty consistent. While not a favourite, they're definitely good fun. We'd be lucky if the music of even 5 NZ metal bands has been given the time of day by the local media in the past 20 years, so I'm happy to support it happening to a band that's actually listenable. And the fan base will likely stay loyal even if the media gets bored of them.

I can hear why they're not in the Archives for now. They might appeal to fans of Biohazard or Killing Joke.

Reply to topic