Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:06 pm 

Cavani left unmarked 3 times... 2 of them ended up in goal. This is what i feared. Suarez didn't do much tho.

How ironic how we, the NT known for shooting long balls brainlessly into the box wasnt' able to win the match this time doing that.

Uruguay arent' a super team, and without Cavani now, France will knock em out. But they defended well enough and we fell for their game. All they needed was wait for counters to kill us, and that's what they did. So yeah, well deserved.

Fonte, Guedes, Silva, Ricardo, Raphael guerreiro, João Mário... all bad. Ronaldo wasted his batteries against Spain. And his homossexual posing before that FK was embarrassing.

Uruguay were cold and calculating while our players lost their minds.

Nelson Semedo and João Cancelo should have been called for the WC...

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:06 pm 

i thought it was the best game of argentina so far easily. France was a bit inconsistent but were clearly better for most the match.

Uruguay was the better team and was clearly better than portugal during the first half but i thought they were playing not nearly as good during the 2nd half at least when they did have the ball. I think this is the best we will see Portugal play for a while, its the end of an era and there does not seem to be a real next generation.

The Infamous Bastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:33 pm 

I would be so happy if Colombia beat England. It would be joyous to see their whole lower bracket strategy crumble in the round of 16 itself. Would have wanted the same if Belgium had lost their last match with England.

adAvlis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:31 am 

This current portuguese generation IS the next one. All we have to do is get rid of the dinosaurs in the defense and get a good manager because, honestly, Santos is absolutely terrible. We have some of the best players of the last 15 years and he can't get them to play better than shite level. Bruno Fernandes and João Mário are NOT left wingers. Bernardo is way better in the middle. Guedes IS a winger. He plays them out of position and with no real attacking tactics!! Fonte is old and slow. Alves is dead. Our best right backs were left out. Some players were there just for the trip because they never seemed like real options. And those fucking short corner kicks, WTF! They score once from that and then they fuck up all of the others by not even being able to get the ball in the box.

And to finish it off, the whole team, staff and federation seem to be unable to stop sucking Ronaldo's dick. He's good but by this stage in his career he should stick to being inside of the box and forget about being the protagonist. He can't win a 1v1, he can't create a chance through a pass, he hits one FK in 30... Everyone who goes on the pitch plays for him when many times there are better options. He is a legend, that's fair, but this is a fucking TEAM sport. This is mainly the manager's responsibility as well but we can't count on any of that to change if Santos remains.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:33 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
i thought it was the best game of argentina so far easily. France was a bit inconsistent but were clearly better for most the match.

Uruguay was the better team and was clearly better than portugal during the first half but i thought they were playing not nearly as good during the 2nd half at least when they did have the ball. I think this is the best we will see Portugal play for a while, its the end of an era and there does not seem to be a real next generation.

You know, it says a lot about us when this was our best match in the tournament and one of our best ones in the last 4 years. It's kinda worrisome.

We do have some decent young players, but you see, I occasionally boot up PES 5 and PES 6 for nostalgia sake and also became they were the best football games of that decade and I don't have any of the modern FIFA or PES games. And when I look at the NTs at the time(2005-2007), particularly Portugal's, and compare it to today's, it's kind of sad. Portugal used to have an NT with a young C. Ronaldo, and then guys like Figo, Deco(should never have been naturalised, but wtv), Ricardo Carvalho, Paulo Ferreira, Costinha, Maniche and Nuno Valente. And also Pauleta and Nuno Gomes(always played well for the NT) and Simão as a sub. All of these players in their prime would be key players in our team today. I can only see Bernardo Silva and Rui Patrício of the current players fitting in the 2005-2007 teams. The weakest spot in the 2004-2007 teams was Ricardo. He was a mediocre GK. I never got a clue why Scolari loved him so much.

Between 1998 and 2008 we had many pretty good teams. Yet we missed the 98 World Cup and were utter embarrassing in the 2002 WC. It's scandalous how a team with Figo, Rui Costa, Jorge Costa, Pauleta, Sérgio Conceição and João Vieira Pinto was so shocking in the 2002 WC after a great Euro 2000.

I think the problem with Portuguese players is, Portuguese clubs sell them too early to big clubs in England, France, Italy and Spain when they're still quite green and that ends up being worse for their development and careers. And ofc that ends up hurting their self-confidence as well. Look at what happened to the likes of João Mário and Renato Sanches, for example. And then there's players like André Gomes who honestly were never good enough to play for Barcelona. Bernardo Silva has been doing well, though. But he's the type of player you can tell from day one he is gonna be a world class player.

Also, our league quality isn't that high and has been getting worse lately. Compare Benfica's and Porto's squads in the last couple of years to those between 2009-2015. Both clubs can no longer afford to spend so much money. So yeah, ofc some decent players are gonna look pretty good in Portugal, because they're big fish in a small pond.

People focus on C. Ronaldo retiring being the end, but one single player does not make a team. If anything, it might have a good effect on us like a lack Zlatan has been for Sweden. But ofc another once in a lifetime player popping up would be great for us. We were lucky to have Figo and then C. Ronaldo in the following generation. Talk about striking gold twice.

And man, it feels like the likes of C. Ronaldo and Quaresma have been around forever. I mean Quaresma debuted in 2001/2002 and C. Ronaldo in 2002/2003 already. As for foreign players, it feels like Messi has been around forever as well. Time flies.

adAvlis wrote:
This current portuguese generation IS the next one. All we have to do is get rid of the dinosaurs in the defense and get a good manager because, honestly, Santos is absolutely terrible. We have some of the best players of the last 15 years and he can't get them to play better than shite level. Bruno Fernandes and João Mário are NOT left wingers. Bernardo is way better in the middle. Guedes IS a winger. He plays them out of position and with no real attacking tactics!! Fonte is old and slow. Alves is dead. Our best right backs were left out. Some players were there just for the trip because they never seemed like real options. And those fucking short corner kicks, WTF! They score once from that and then they fuck up all of the others by not even being able to get the ball in the box.

And to finish it off, the whole team, staff and federation seem to be unable to stop sucking Ronaldo's dick. He's good but by this stage in his career he should stick to being inside of the box and forget about being the protagonist. He can't win a 1v1, he can't create a chance through a pass, he hits one FK in 30... Everyone who goes on the pitch plays for him when many times there are better options. He is a legend, that's fair, but this is a fucking TEAM sport. This is mainly the manager's responsibility as well but we can't count on any of that to change if Santos remains.

Fernando Santos' Portugal plays as bad or even worse than Benfica under Rui Vitória. Why do I have to put up with this in both my club and NT? Usually when one is down the other is up, but atm bot hare practically the same thing. It's not fair, man!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:53 am 

the portugese league does better than the dutch league though, i wonder if its because the talent is less spread out among clubs?

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:58 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
the portugese league does better than the dutch league though, i wonder if its because the talent is less spread out among clubs?

Well, the 4th club in terms of budget is Braga and it's quite below any of the big 3. What's it like in the Eredivisie? I notice there have been over 20 different clubs that won the Dutch league throughout history, damn. Including a club named Be Quick wtf :lol:

I don't follow your league, but every time I happen to see a Dutch club play in Europe they seem to have no idea how to defend. It's like they're stuck in the 1970s or something. Meanwhile, Portuguese clubs love parking the bus and playing in counter-attack.

Ajax reached the Europa League final a couple of years ago but they looked like a rather weak team in the final. Makes me wonder if them reaching the final wasn't more luck of the draw than anything.

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:15 am 

Russia still has chances in this game!
To this storm called rock and roll!!!

PaganiusI
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:57 am 

LordStenhammar wrote:
Russia still has chances in this game!

One team plays full on counters, the other one doesn't seem to want to attack at all. Best combination for a fuckn boring game.

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:02 pm 

You're right. Russia seems not wanting to win at all. They just try to hang on as long as they can. Those guys are tired - constant defending. They're waiting for penalty shots.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:57 pm 

It was stoic defence - as demonstrated previously by the Russians in Barbarossa - it worked for them in the end. :D

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:13 pm 

Spain is back to their pre-Euro 2008 days. Being the England of Southern Europe. Overhyped and being considered favourites every single big tournament but going out to inferior opposition rather early on :lol:. People who grew up watching 2008-2012 Spain might not believe this, but for most of history they've been an underachieving big country in football NT-wise.

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:48 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
It was stoic defence - as demonstrated previously by the Russians in Barbarossa - it worked for them in the end. :D

Yeah, but it wasn't the nazi-Germany lobsters, it was just Spain. :)

If Croatia loses now, I won't play with anyone anymore.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:03 pm 

Horrible match from Russia and Spain. Nether deserved to win, but there had to be a winner nonetheless. 140 min of useless passes by Spain, a few Spanish powerless goal attempts, defensive playing by the Russians but with almost no offensive playing from their side. 1-1 caused by an owngoal and a penalty for a debatable handsball, so technically Spain didn't score a single goal.... It was as if the Russians were betting on the Russian roulette of those damn penalties. Ok, nice gamble. But they wlll not survive the next round like this.

My predictions for the favourites went to shit now. No Portugal, no Spain, now way Russia is gonna win like this. I also don't believe in the chances of the unexpected 8th final winner France. Uruguay was a surprise but if it's Suarez playing the next game without Cavani, then I think they're fucked.

So whats next?

Croatia - Denmark: Croatia
Brazil - Mexico: I think Brazil will win (barely) but I still hope Mexico can knock em down
Belgium - Japan: Should be an easy win for Belgium (as long as they don't get cocky)
Sweden - Switzerland: I'm gonna wing it and gamble on Sweden
Colombia - England: England will win I think, but don't underestimate Colombia!

The Infamous Bastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:11 pm 

The last world cup in Brazil was one of the best I have watched yet. And this time around, it's been so substandard in that most of the top teams aren't either playing their best or aren't in their best form. I hope Croatia wins this Cup.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:47 pm 

The Infamous Bastard wrote:
The last world cup in Brazil was one of the best I have watched yet. And this time around, it's been so substandard in that most of the top teams aren't either playing their best or aren't in their best form. I hope Croatia wins this Cup.

2006 was the best WC I've watched so far. 2002 and 2010 were the worst ones. 2014 was alright I guess. Don't remember much of 98 other than a few games.

Euros always have much better football. Even Euro 2008 and Euro 2016, the weakest Euros I've watched, had some good games. The World Cup has moree mainstream and global appeal, but the Euro is the best international football competition out there.

Not looking forward to World Cups with 48 teams. Guess FIFA doesn't want to risk big markets like the USA missing another WC ever again. And they also want to make sure the likes of China and India are more likely to qualify from then on. They don't care that more teams might worsen the overall quality. they just want more nations to be there in order to generate more money.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:52 pm 

My god I am so relieved about this match. I think, considering our previous performance in this World Cup, it would have been a shame to see Croatia lose touch at this stage. Really hope we fix ourselves before our match with Russia though.

Pissed off with Dalić today by the way.

Me

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:44 pm 

Croatia kicked Argentina's asses off 3 - 0 and Denmark delivered one of the worst football matches I ever watched against France (they weren't good either). Croatia deserved to win this match, I think they have way more potential in their guts than Denmark.

Alright, almost all of the favorites are out. We (France) kicked out Argentina, Spain delivered a terrible match against Russia and is now also out, Portugal lost against Uruguay even if they did well play, Germany got out by... Korea. Astonishing. It never happened since the 30's or something like that. Oh and when the Korean team came back to their country they got insulted and people even threw away eggs and other very insulting things... That's a shame. They won against the titleholders. Let's see what Brazil has in their guts. But at the same time, the Mexicans look very determined and they have a damn good goalkeeper.

As for France - Uruguay... It sure will be tough. But at the same time, the Paris-Saint-German had Cavani for a long time and I saw him evolving during the championships. He was good only because Portugal's defenses were quite weak. I often saw him in the incapacity of passing players like Varane or Umtiti, which are in the French national team.

Tunes of Steel - Reviews and writing stuff website. Latest: Paradox - Pangea
Metalhertz, French Youtube radio channel

adAvlis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:10 am 

Festivus wrote:
Fernando Santos' Portugal plays as bad or even worse than Benfica under Rui Vitória. Why do I have to put up with this in both my club and NT? Usually when one is down the other is up, but atm bot hare practically the same thing. It's not fair, man!

Well I'm a Sporting CP fan so I guess I have it a lot worse than you right now huh? :)

PaganiusI
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:40 am 

It was the first time EVER Germany got kicked out in the group stage. They however got kicked out after the first match (against Switzerland) in 1938, but since back then the word cup didn't have a group stage and the 16 (15 after Austria and Germany were merged) teams started within the k.o. matches right away, it doesn't quite count.

The team wanted to write history...but didn't specify how.. well, they achieved all their goals.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:11 pm 

Kanpai, motherfucker!

Is that unusual? Do your cousin's peanut butter sandwiches typically contain broken glass?

Last.fm

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:39 pm 

Proost, motherfucker!

Wargus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:59 pm 

Yippee-Ki-Yay, motherfucker!

edit: schol!

The Infamous Bastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:30 pm 

Holy fuck! What did I just watch? The winning Belgium goal was absolutely brilliant! Japan truly exceeded my expectations too. One of the most entertaining matches I have watched in this World Cup.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:33 pm 

Well easy come, easy go.

Is that unusual? Do your cousin's peanut butter sandwiches typically contain broken glass?

Last.fm

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:33 pm 

What a heart attack game. When Japan scored those 2 goals, I honestly thought it was done for Belgium. I was already preparing for Japan vs Brazil. And then suddenly that next goal. Whaaaat. Ok lucky shot, probably the best we could give, let's not expect too much of the rest of the game. I knew lot of people were extremely hopeful now, but i thought: it's all hope for nothing.. No way Belgium is gonna turn this game and score 2 more goals. And omg......... Then that second goal and then suddenly in the 94'th minute (30 secs left on the clock!!!!) that final goal. Holy crap. This was the most tense game I've ever seen o_0.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:24 pm 

Oh my god I really thought Japan could win. The first Belgian goal is pretty much ugly but the two others damn... At the beginning of the match I was for Belgium, then I saw the determination and the very good play of the Japanese so I started rather supporting them, then Belgium took it over and by the end I was so sad for the Japanese... What an incredible match. Belgium played very well by the end.

FromMysticStreet
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:12 pm 

That was an amazingly dramatic and satisfying 2nd half.

But if they want a chance at beating Brazil and the whiner Neymar they need to have a different strategy for sure.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:09 pm 

Just an in-between statistic: its seems only Croatia, Uruguay and Belgium managed to win 4 times in a row this wc. All 3 made it passed the 8th finals. Does that mean anything? Nope. But it's still impressive...

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:04 pm 

The Infamous Bastard wrote:
One of the most entertaining matches I have watched in this World Cup.

+1. My eyes were glued to the screen for most of the second half.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:48 am 

Andreas_Hansen wrote:
Oh my god I really thought Japan could win. The first Belgian goal is pretty much ugly but the two others damn... At the beginning of the match I was for Belgium, then I saw the determination and the very good play of the Japanese so I started rather supporting them, then Belgium took it over and by the end I was so sad for the Japanese... What an incredible match. Belgium played very well by the end.

Before the match I wanted Belgium to win because they are a better team. But Japan played very well and they deserved to win or at least not to loose in such a cruel way. Poor guys! a more defensive team would have won the match, ahh football who you cruel you are!

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:51 am 

LordStenhammar wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

If Croatia loses now, I won't play with anyone anymore.

I see that Spain doen´t receive so much love here, isn´t it?

Spain was slow and without ideas but at least tried something. Russia was embarrasing, I can´t understan how a team can play this kind of anti-footbal in its own country.

Time to change half of the team in Spain.

Brazil played very well, at least in the second half, Neymar is great when he play only football but yesterday he acted again as a clown. What a retarded guy, seriously.

adAvlis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:24 am 

Well Japan really showed a lack of experience there at the end. That corner kick never should have gone into the box. They should have held the ball near the corner with the rest of the team behind the midfield line. It was a heroic match by them, nonetheless. With a more experienced manager and a better goalkeeper they could have passed.

As for Belgium, well, they surely have a massive overkill of talent in their squad but Martinez is kind of slow to react to adversity. If this happens again against Brazil, there's no way they'll score 3 in 30 minutes. And the 3 centre back scheme isn't quite perfect for these players, since Carrasco doesn't really defend and Kompany is slow as fuck. Also KdB and Hazard don't seem to have the freedom they need to show all their genius, although the former did show something in that final counter attack with a fucking unbelievably perfect pass to the right. Also, about Fellaini: ManUtd fans may hate him but boy, is he useful. He's not even a midfielder anymore, he's just a tree to be subbed on and planted inside the box when they're losing.

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:30 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
LordStenhammar wrote:

I see that Spain doen´t receive so much love here, isn´t it?

Spain was slow and without ideas but at least tried something. Russia was embarrasing, I can´t understan how a team can play this kind of anti-footbal in its own country.

Time to change half of the team in Spain.

Brazil played very well, at least in the second half, Neymar is great when he play only football but yesterday he acted again as a clown. What a retarded guy, seriously.

I'm kind of neutral towards Spain. In football, that is. :) They would've truly deserved victory in that match.

Yeah, and holy fuck, Neymar. If he was truly hurt, he wouldn't "suffer" in the ground like a kid.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:00 pm 

Somebody should kidnap the dude, indoctrinate him into rugby sports and then deliver him back to Brazil after a year. :-D

PaganiusI
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:15 pm 

I know soccer players are not the kindest persons during games, but Columbia is just a bunch of dicks or am I seeing that wrong?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:25 pm 

They were absolute dicks. Hail to England - fuck foul play.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:29 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:
I know soccer players are not the kindest persons during games, but Columbia is just a bunch of dicks or am I seeing that wrong?

Nah I agree, almost made me root for England before they started actually trying to play football again.

I always forget how much flopping around there is in football. Would have thought VAR would sort it but if anything it's made it worse. Referees really need to be punishing this kind of crap.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:36 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:

This match was one of the most boring of the Cup so far after Frane - Denmark, also due to that fact. You're right. Even if I don't care about the English I am glad they won over these stupid people.

The Infamous Bastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:43 pm 

Now I am wondering why a lot of you here from outside of the USA are using "soccer" for the sport. Let's not go to the "soccer vs football" thing but just curious.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next