Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:57 am 

No it doesn't. Stop being offended for no real reason. Just because you feel like he addressed you directly doesn't make it true. He simply described which part of the left movement is judging him for being a metalhead. And he is absolutely right. Fighting for equal rights for women while discriminating minorities (like metalheads) is a pretty solid description for a SJW. Someone who doesn't REALLY care about social justice or has no idea what that could be. He's just in it for the war. Like that redhead fem-nazi from TV :-D

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:09 am 

Dude, you're so right, you know that metalhead suffrage movement of the 1990's that culminated in an amendment to MTV's constitution that allowed metal of all different subgenres to be nominated for TRL? It was surely one of metal subculture's proudest achievements, and I'm certainly not trying to take anything away from that. But I mean, once Lordi won Eurovision in 2006... isn't it blatantly obvious that discrimination against metalheads doesn't really exist anymore? At this point, the metalhead discrimination narrative is something almost certainly propagated by music globalists like Fred Durst and David Guetta, to keep metalheads in a perpetual state of codependence and never rise to their true potential (i.e., getting real metal on pop radio stations during the day) and just promote the popularity of music genres that are "kinda closer to metal in tone," such as hard rock and synthwave.

Also, whenever a metalhead goes to jail it was probably because he broke the law. Damn victim complex!
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Niklas Sanger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:51 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
:lol: "sjw's" (sic)
Given that most of the people I know whom you'd designate "sjws" are metalheads, your attempted conflation of the right and left here rings hollow.

I'm genuinely surprised to see anyone outside of chan boards and YouTube comments sections use the term SJW. :lol: Grow up.

Maybe "social justice warrior" wasn't the smartest wording on my end since it's a term used often by the right. What I was really referring to was the reactionary movement to everything by members of the far left these days, and how their eagerness to attack metal is is just as bad, if not more hypocritical than attacks by those on the right.

For instance living in the southern bible belt part of the country, I've received plenty of backlash for listening to "the devils music", and that's to be expected from religious conservatives, but on the other hand I've experienced negative feedback from self proclaimed "liberals" who just presume that metal is racist or even represents "toxic masculinity" and whatever other traits they deem anti social. It just strikes me as odd because you would think that these people would actually be more open minded or atleast not really care, yet I get the same vindictive sunday school teacher vibe from leftists who are supposedly the antithesis of the religious right.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:19 am 

It’s not even a left/right thing really - it’s people who failed to learn the lesson of St. Putnam - “ giving a shit about any of this is Gay”

By which I’m obviously being facetious, but the point stands. Earnestness of both left or right varieties is equally laughable. Maybe 30 years of extreme metal and horrible noise music has poisoned my soul in some way, but to me anyone who gets worked up about what is so OTT and silly is reacting to this global toilet in a fucking stupid way.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:38 pm 

Maybe this is a bit off topic as well , but has anyone else been mistaken for an outlaw biker by an uninformed cop ? I no longer ride motorcycles , but when I did I actually got pulled over and asked questions about my supposed gang ties by a member of Frederick MD's finest . I think it must have been due to the fact that I happened to be wearing a patch vest at the time , but I was still surprised at the level of ignorance that fellow displayed .

I never wore my vest while riding motorcycles after that and even now I prefer to wear it only to gigs and such .

To steer this thread more on topic , while I don't believe metalheads are discriminated against in the US , it's always seemed to me that we do tend to get looked at more funny when wearing certain types of attire . Namely patch vests .

After all people have very much gotten used to seeing T shirts with all sorts of writing/symbols/so forth on them , however relatively few people wear patch vests to this very day ( IMHO ) , which increases the chances of getting funny looks .

In short I think being looked at as weird/interesting/unique is a much more pertinent issue for metalheads .

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:32 pm 

Lionel Fauquier wrote:
Maybe this is a bit off topic as well , but has anyone else been mistaken for an outlaw biker by an uninformed cop ? I no longer ride motorcycles , but when I did I actually got pulled over and asked questions about my supposed gang ties by a member of Frederick MD's finest . I think it must have been due to the fact that I happened to be wearing a patch vest at the time , but I was still surprised at the level of ignorance that fellow displayed .

I never wore my vest while riding motorcycles after that and even now I prefer to wear it only to gigs and such .

To steer this thread more on topic , while I don't believe metalheads are discriminated against in the US , it's always seemed to me that we do tend to get looked at more funny when wearing certain types of attire . Namely patch vests .

After all people have very much gotten used to seeing T shirts with all sorts of writing/symbols/so forth on them , however relatively few people wear patch vests to this very day ( IMHO ) , which increases the chances of getting funny looks .

In short I think being looked at as weird/interesting/unique is a much more pertinent issue for metalheads .

Even if it's uncommon for people to wear patch vests, I don't see how that would make anyone weird/odd looking. It's uncommon but not the rarest thing eve.r I'ts not like it's a man dressed as a woman or anything like that. Or a naked person walking outside. Not that I wear patch vests or have asked anyone I know who does if they ever get funny looks, but I can't say I've ever heard someone complain or mention that.

If anything, some metalheads might get funny looks for having long hair and facial hair which can make them look a bit hoboish at times. Or if they walk outside in black metal style make up or something.

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:36 am 

Festivus wrote:
Lionel Fauquier wrote:

Even if it's uncommon for people to wear patch vests, I don't see how that would make anyone weird/odd looking. It's uncommon but not the rarest thing eve.r I'ts not like it's a man dressed as a woman or anything like that. Or a naked person walking outside. Not that I wear patch vests or have asked anyone I know who does if they ever get funny looks, but I can't say I've ever heard someone complain or mention that.

If anything, some metalheads might get funny looks for having long hair and facial hair which can make them look a bit hoboish at times. Or if they walk outside in black metal style make up or something.

I guess it depends on what's considered out of place in the particular area you reside in . Men with long hair and mustaches/beards are more common than those who wear patch vests in my neck of the woods , but I suppose that may be different in other parts of the world .

For what it's worth I think females who wear patch vests probably look the most out of place to most people , but ( to reiterate ) I suppose my previous statement applies as well .

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:43 am 

The number 1 bully-er of metalheads are other metalheads. God I love metal but way too many metal fans are pretentious and egotistical.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:58 am 

kale100 wrote:
The number 1 bully-er of metalheads are other metalheads. God I love metal but way too many metal fans are pretentious and egotistical.

Yeah, no kidding. This is the truth.

I'm 33 now, but when I was in high school, there was a little bit of bullying. I remember listening to Iron Maiden's "Hallowed By Thy Name" in a computers class and being told "turn down the suicidal rob zombie music" :???: I also had someone try to stick chewed gum in my long hair on multiple occasions and was even afraid to wear it in pulled back because I had been told by people they would cut it off.

I live on a border city with the States, and I've been profiled crossing the border a couple times in the past when telling customs I was going to a concerts (Metallica, Slayer, Priest, Sabbath, fuck even Quiet Riot). Mostly just looking for drugs, I'm guessing.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:05 pm 

Yeah... lots of metalheads have their heads up their asses. It's no wonder the genre is do divided and has more sub-genres than any other major genre out there. How fitting. Metal fans are some of the most divided I've seen in terms of political and philosophical views, for example.

I also think metalheads can be really judgemental and care too much about "cred" at times. As in, telling you you're not "trve enough" because you haven't seen more than 15 bands live.

When I was a teenager, I was attracted to metal music and its sub-culture. I wanted a clique to fit in, I guess. But the older I get the less I'm inclined to call myself a metalhead. I like metal and wear band t-shirts still, but I also like a lot of other music. I avoid labelling myself as a metalhead these days even though I like metal. I just no longer think it's a major part of myself. I just love music in general. And no, I'm not one of those people who likes every single genre and calls people close minded for not liking certain genres. I like metal, rock, jazz, synthwave, classical music, video game osts, jpop and kpop; basically. And a lot of my favourites are quite popular acts and artists. Listen to whatever the hell you want to, guys.

jimbies wrote:
kale100 wrote:

Yeah, no kidding. This is the truth.

I'm 33 now, but when I was in high school, there was a little bit of bullying. I remember listening to Iron Maiden's "Hallowed By Thy Name" in a computers class and being told "turn down the suicidal rob zombie music" :???: I also had someone try to stick chewed gum in my long hair on multiple occasions and was even afraid to wear it in pulled back because I had been told by people they would cut it off.

I live on a border city with the States, and I've been profiled crossing the border a couple times in the past when telling customs I was going to a concerts (Metallica, Slayer, Priest, Sabbath, fuck even Quiet Riot). Mostly just looking for drugs, I'm guessing.

It's always seemed to me that it's a bit tougher being a metalhead in USA than in most of Europe. It's kinda odd considering USA has given the world a lot of big metal bands and thrash and death are American in origin; possibly power as well? And ofc, rock music is American in origin and metal is originally a sub-genre of rock. I've seen many Americans online referring to metal and its fanbase as "white trash" even, which is odd to me because metal in Europe is more associated with more educated people. It's like most people I know who are into metal tend to be of the "nerdy" type and/or are well educated and of middle class. I don't really view metal as a working class thing. I mean, a lot of metal is far form being mainstream and you gotta really look out for it yourself. It's not something you can just catch on radio for the most part. So if you live in an environment where you got bigger things to worry about then you're not so likely to run into black and death metal, I'm guessing.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:50 pm 

The out-group gets shit on. It's the central tenet of a bigotted supremacist pecking order. Sometimes they get beat up and their hair cut, sometimes they get pistol whipped and tied to a fence to die in the cold. Sometimes they get shot in their grandmother's back yard. The in-group hates diversity and wants everyone left alive to be as arrogantly retarded as they are. Serve or die.

Festivus wrote:
I'ts not like it's a man dressed as a woman or anything like that. Or a naked person walking outside.

You need to get out more.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:58 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
The out-group gets shit on. It's the central tenet of a bigotted supremacist pecking order. Sometimes they get beat up and their hair cut, sometimes they get pistol whipped and tied to a fence to die in the cold. Sometimes they get shot in their grandmother's back yard. The in-group hates diversity and wants everyone left alive to be as arrogantly retarded as they are. Serve or die.

Festivus wrote:
I'ts not like it's a man dressed as a woman or anything like that. Or a naked person walking outside.

You need to get out more.

I don't really see that often(if at all) and I leave my house everyday and live in a European capital city. Where do you live where you see that stuff regularly?

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:42 am 

kale100 wrote:

I think that metalheads with God complex got tired of the whole "rap is crap" trend and shifted towards rejecting every band that gets a bit more attention and characterizing as : "hyped shit".

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:53 am 

In Greece there was a lot of persecution towards metalheads during the '80s due to their affiliations with Ultras, or soccer and basketball hooligans. During the '90s a Satanic cult abducted and killed a young girl in a ritual. The convicts confessed that they got influenced by heavy metal -obviously- and that led them doing such things. But now things have become more lenient. Your being a metalhead will only give you a snobby look; most times by overaged grannies in city buses.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2