Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:50 am 

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing a live-action adaptation of the Legacy of Kain series. Criminally underrated game series, and the story is actually surprisingly deep and intelligent.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:35 pm 

I'd like to see a Star Trek series starring Patrick Stewart made in the late 80's to early 90's.

TheGreatDuck
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:06 pm 

Haha. Ha.

Anyway, just thought it might be nice if some classic works of fantasy, like Fafhrd and Mauser, Kane the Mystic Swordsman, Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Malazan Book of the Fallen, The Belgariad, Lyonesse or Elric of Melnibone finally got filmed.

TheGreatDuck
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:36 am 

BTW, after seeing the suprisingly great Darkest Hour yesterday, I'd actually like to see a series of films where Gary Oldman would portray Churchill in different stages of his life - say, one set during the rest of the war, a film about the Yalta conference (and possibly also another film about the Tehran one) and a film set during his post-war years.
Might as well do some prequels about his roles during WW1 and the Appeasement years while Oldman is still young enough.

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:50 pm 

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Haha. Ha.

Anyway, just thought it might be nice if some classic works of fantasy, like Fafhrd and Mauser, Kane the Mystic Swordsman, Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Malazan Book of the Fallen, The Belgariad, Lyonesse or Elric of Melnibone finally got filmed.

I'd really be interested in seeing a Fafhrd and Elric series respectively . I think I've read that an Elric film adaptation was in the works , but it seems that nothing has come of it .

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:53 pm 

I'd like to see a movie made of The Hobbit (stress: a movie) that actually does the book justice. Those Jackson affairs were such a missed opportunity. He completely missed what might be the single most important aspect of the story: the tone. There are dark parts, for sure, but he got it all wrong. Ugh. But after those disasters, the Tolkien estate will never let another filmmaker touch his stories again, so I might as well give up dreaming.

Edit: And yeah, I'm aware of the animated movie. That was far more on the mark than these new ones.

MauriceK
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:16 am 

I'd like to see a Starcraft movie. A proper, badass, sci-fi attempt at this wonderful universe.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:58 am 

Thiestru wrote:
I'd like to see a movie made of The Hobbit (stress: a movie) that actually does the book justice. Those Jackson affairs were such a missed opportunity. He completely missed what might be the single most important aspect of the story: the tone. There are dark parts, for sure, but he got it all wrong. Ugh. But after those disasters, the Tolkien estate will never let another filmmaker touch his stories again, so I might as well give up dreaming.

Trust me they will be made again. Anything with such huge success will always get new adaptations - for better or for worse.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:01 am 

I would love to see an anime/live TV series adaptation of the Suikoden video games (itself based on the Water Margin novel). I feel that they provide a PERFECT template for a highly dramatic, action-packed series.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:50 am 

I might (?) be in the minority here, but personally I would prefer to see shows and movies with completely new intellectual property or adaptations of intellectual property that I am not very well aware of. I don't think books (well, other media as well, but novels, short stories, etc. is the most common one, no?) get a good treatment into visual media if it's something I am already well immersed in myself. The adaptations often dwell on the superficial aspects of the story rather than going deeper into what the original author(s) were after. Or, to put it in a milder way, what I think the originals were trying to represent on a wider theme.

To elaborate, I personally prefer stories and media that focus more on mood and atmosphere. A good plot is always great, but when it comes to adaptations, if the story is plot-centered, there's not really that much to look forward in an adaptation as you already know what is going to happen. So as you know the finish, what's left is the journey and the route has already been mapped out, there's only the atmosphere created.

For example with Game of Thrones and The Expanse, these series are extremely plot-centric so once you're aware of what will happen, there's not that much of a reason to experience them again, unless you enjoy the style of the creators very much. On the other hand, there are shows like Justified, based on the works of Elmore Leonard. While it draws the characters and (I think) some of the plotlines from the original works, it expands a lot upon it and still focuses on the same themes and atmosphere as Leonard's work. The originals are merely short stories while the show ran for six seasons so a lot of the material is original work. But what's more important is the fact that it draws upon the atmosphere and local culture of Kentucky and Harlan county to be more specific as well as the main character and his characterization. The plot is there as always, but it is not as vital as in the previous two.

Of course, a big difference here is that I wasn't very well aware of Elmore Leonard's work prior to seeing Justified for the first time while I was well-versed in both, The Expanse and A Song of Ice and Fire, prior to them becoming TV shows.

I guess what I'm saying is I would like to see shows and movies that focus more on themes and atmosphere rather than a very intricate plot.

Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:51 am 

MacMoney wrote:
I guess what I'm saying is I would like to see shows and movies that focus more on themes and atmosphere rather than a very intricate plot.

So, like, say, Kubrick films? As just one of probably numerous examples to pull from a pool, but he's first to come to mind when it comes to how he handles adaptations. The vast majority of his films were adapted from books (2001 was interesting in that both the book and film were made at pretty much the same time, as a result of both Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick collaborating with each other), but rather than being a slave to the page he made the films his own that could stand well by themselves independent of their source material, throwing many defining elements of the books under the bus if he had to if it met the film's needs (which is fine as Kubrick was a film-maker, one with his own views and conceptions of human nature, societal conditioning, the veil hiding the recesses of the psyche...). Dr. Strangelove was adapted from a book that was highly serious in tone. It was decided to make it a pitch-black comedy/satire instead. 2001 has very little dialogue (HAL, the computer probably has the most lines out of anyone in the movie) and gives us mainly an unusual audio-visual experience to extrapolate a narrative, meaning and purpose from as opposed to the book's more explicit explanations of what's happening. The Shining...well, I'll just say that most of Stephen King's grievances with the movie's handling of his work are what I think make the film as good as it is, heh.

But yes, you get to the heart of what I think film adaptations ought to strive for, to work with the strengths of their medium, as cinema, and not be so much a visualized Cliff's Notes (or, wait, is it Spark Notes now?) of the book with slight changes made for time or concession to studio pressure or whatever. Something that gets the plot, characters and dialogue on the screen and not much else. Not that these are always bad films, sometimes depending on the material or the people working on it you can get something great, but certainly it's usually less interesting and less successful as a film as a result, for a film to be so literal. Off the top of my head, I think Rosemary's Baby was made as a super-faithful, page-for-page adaptation of Ira Levin's book (someone correct me if I'm mistaken) but that managed to turn out a superb film that somehow doesn't feel overly novelistic in execution despite its supposed attempts to be as close to 100% faithful to the source. I guess it can be argued they wanted to be faithful not just to the book's settings, dialogue and plot layout but to the underlying tone of creeping dread, paranoia and an "off"-ness to the supposedly normal, friendly surroundings.

As for what I'd like to see made, without an original script or very specific pitch in mind I guess I'll have to resort to existing material or vague conceptions. I'd like to see more of...how does one put it, slow-burn, "arty" genre pics? As in, much of canonized American cinema of the late-60s-70s that began to die off by the time the 80s rolled about. Even this is pretty vague and broad considering the number of disparate films that could fall in this category. And not even necessarily "genre" films, though I do enjoy seeing what a talented film-maker can weld together within an established template, but I guess, "mainstream" films in general. A number of movies pop into mind, whether Once Upon a Time in the West, The Parallax View, The Conversation, The Deer Hunter, Barry Lyndon (hey speaking of Kubrick), my mind is failing me right now. A number of movies I've seen made in recent years have made strong attempts. I started to become a fan of PT Anderson with There Will Be Blood and The Master (I still haven't seen what he did with Inherent Vice nor Daniel Day-Lewis' farewell tour in Phantom Thread), though as much as I do really like those films they are just a tad on the affected side, just a tad. People who see an imitation of a certain style for its own sake in those two movies in particular, a pastiche, I wouldn't blame them. All the same they are beautiful-looking movies with outstanding performances and moments of brilliance.

No Country for Old Men I think set the modern standard for me (even though the movie is already 11 years old now, holy hot damn) because, among a number of things I could think about and laud over, it feels natural (also an instance where I think the movie outclasses the book - as much I do love the book and Cormac McCarthy generally - the book's pacing goes from rapid-fire then slows down during Sheriff Bell's rambling interludes that start off each chapter - neither bit of writing is bad, but it's like speeding down then coming to abrupt stops for a couple or so minutes, then smashing the pedal again - but for the most part, the way it reads, made it perfect for the screen, and when I found out a few years ago when some of McCarthy's unreleased work was unraveled and archived, one of them was what was a screenplay for No Country for Old Men, written way back during the time it's set, 1980, but couldn't find anyone willing to produce so he put it off until years later when he made it into a book instead). I don't know about other movies off the top of my head, I suppose some could argue (both Ryan Gosling flicks) Drive and Blade Runner 2049. Not dialogue-or-plot-heavy, driven by mood and atmosphere, takes their time getting places...I love Drive, but I think it owes more to Michael Mann than what I'm talking about and look for, and BR2049 I'm very conflicted on. I won't go too deep into that, but suffice to say it has its strong moments, its visuals mainly, and its sense of a kind of wandering dreaminess on a planet that's degraded even more than before but still keeps advancing in the corners that can be inhabited, some glaring weaknesses, like, a lot of the acting (Leto it awful - Gosling is fine when he doesn't have to emote - then there's that scene where he finds that wood sculpture from his memories...), overall a movie I liked watching but felt it was a completely unnecessary sequel. Of Villeneuve's sci-fi features, BR2049 is the best one to look at, but Arrival is the better overall movie in every other aspect.

So, short version, more of what could vaguely be considered "New Hollywood" movies of the late 60s-70s mainly, but done right. Some come close, some take a swing at it and miss badly, on rare occasions I see it done right, but it's an era of cinema that really can't be replicated, it was a gradual unshackling of the studio system to give free reign to film-makers in Hollywood which produced a number of gems, some curious oddities, some things in between, and all the better for it. Without a specific concept for an (original) film though of a decent-tier budget I couldn't say what kind of movie exactly I would want to see that could've only been made in that era and only rarely today.

While writing this all up, I've thought of another thing to bring up: movies or shows that were either never made but have existing screenplays, or ones that were butchered by the studios with the cut footage lost or vaulted away. I'm sure if anyone somehow came across in their attic the missing reels that the studios cut from The Magnificent Ambersons they'd be hailed as a hero of cinema. London After Midnight is another famous lost film. Murnau's 4 Devils I hope is found one day. Apparently an actress borrowed one of the only reels of the film available at the time and lost it. But those who saw it at the time of its release proclaimed it one of his very best. A shame. And, it'll probably never be made, but David Lynch's Ronnie Rocket. He couldn't find funding for the movie, which he wrote sometime after Eraserhead, but The Elephant Man was proposed to him to which he latched onto immediately. I guess there were attempts to get Ronnie Rocket from screenplay to screen, all unsuccessful. Some ideas from that script seem to have been incorporated into the Twin Peaks revival, namely how central electricity plays a role in each.

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:25 pm 

Here are a few more ideas of mine :

1. A TV show and/or biopic about the classic lineup of Lynyrd Skynyrd . I think they were going to make a biopic by the way , but the idea got axed .

2. A TV show and/or biopic about David Allan Coe . If any iconic country singer deserve one it's him IMHO .

3 . A TV show adaptation of REH's Conan stories that would be completely faithful to the way he wrote them .

4 . A Dark Angel prequel TV series featuring Matthias Hues reprising his original role . The series itself would be set in the aftermath of the famous Pizza Connection trial and would feature the Sicilian and Italian American Mafia seeking a new supplier of heroin , which they'd find in an extraterrestrial drug cartel . Said drug cartel would ( just as Hues' solo alien character in the movie ) be seeking endorphins , which the Mafiosos would provide them in the form of provoking a brutal gang war in the streets of New Orleans . Hues's character would be sent down by his fellow alien cartel members to supervise the collection of endorphins and thus the stage would be set for the series ...

Maybe even Dolph Lundgren could reprise his role as the cop , though it could be better to feature a different actor in the good guy role .

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2