Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:08 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
New Silent Island album is super chill and surprisingly somber compared to their previous stuff. Really good for relaxing, sleeping, meditating.
https://silentisland.bandcamp.com/album/stormvalley

The new album isn't on Spotify, but I put on Fall of Oceans from 2017 and am really liking this.

Thanks for the recommend.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:19 pm 

^I really like all their stuff and the guitarist's solo project called Black Hill, but their new album is probably my favorite so far. The cover art definitely depicts the darker sound they took on this release. The guitarist follows me on BC and buys a ton of extreme (mostly black) metal, I often get emails that he bought something he found in my collection.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:50 pm 

Just freshly discovered a band called Spanish Love Songs and I've been digging their debut "Schmaltz". Heavily reminiscent of The Menzingers, with some similarities to Hot Water Music and Dillinger Four as well. Beardpunk as fuck, basically.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:48 pm 

I'm not sure why Hostblod isn't on the Archives but their debut album is absolutely fantastic. Experimental depressive black metal.

https://hostblod.bandcamp.com/releases

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:17 pm 

The new Metric was recently released, and its pretty tremendous. A good mix of Fantasies/Synthetica styled songs, songs that sound kind of like what Pagans In Vegas might have sounded like if it was guitar-centric instead of synth-centric, and some new twists (mainly some songs that have a strong U2 vibe).

An excellent listen.
Obliteration

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:50 am 

Caverns of Anti-Matter's "Hormone Lemonade" album is really engrossing. Just beats and electronic soundscapes but it breezes by. Tremendous, engulfing music. Really liking it.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:41 am 

I have to recommend the new EP by Replicant. A very well done hybrid of synthwave and post-punk with touches from goth rock/deathrock and industrial. Highly enjoyable.
Obliteration

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:20 pm 

Marissa Nadler's newest is more of the same, but still really great. New Phosphorescent was released today and I'm getting into it already. It's been so long since he has released music (2013 i think?).

Also, really like the new Eric Church so far. Eric is one of the few country guys I enjoy. This album has a lot of everything. Blues, a couple stompers, a James Brown-esque funk song. I could use without Monsters, which is WAY too God-y for me.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:08 pm 

New Thrice is amazing and new Coheed came out yesterday, both great albums.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:25 pm 

The new Coheed and Cambria album is pretty good, definitely a couple steps above the last one. It almost reminds me of the first two albums in some ways, though it's very much a modern Co&Ca record most of the time. Really dig "Toys", strikes a good balance between their prog rock influences and their post-hardcore/emo influences of the old days.

I did not care for that new Thrice album though, I'll be honest. It might actually be the first album of theirs I genuinely dislike.

Last edited by LycanthropeMoon on Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:33 pm 

I had my difficulty getting into Tim Hecker's newest output and probably would still not place it among my favorites from him, but it certainly started to grow on me.

“On Dark Horses“ by Emma Ruth Rundle is my first contact with her work and I wasn't too surprised to find out she is signed to the same record label as Chelsea Wolfe - a very enjoyable effort, though ultimately lacking the depth needed to keep me excited for more than just a couple of months.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:53 am 

I really like this "Battle Lines" album by Bob Moses.

He had a hit on the radio earlier this year or last year called "Tearing Me Up" that I thought was real stupid, but this new album is great.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:38 pm 

Let's Eat Grandma's I'm All Ears may have just toppled Clean by Soccer Mommy as my favourite non metal release this year. Very awesome synthy art pop with some interesting progressive songs as well. It's good folks

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 pm 

"Dose Your Dreams" by Fucked Up is a pretty ambitious punk album, in much the same way their album "David Comes to Life" was. I'm diggin' it more than "Glass Boys", though I liked that one too.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:43 am 

Fucked up is a cool ass band, I always found their albums a bit overlong but I've heard good things of this one, pretty excited to check it out.

TheEerieTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:02 am 

I'm still totally into Florence + The Machine's 'High As Hope' album.
I'm a total fanboy, but it's such a personal, quiet record (by their standards anyway).

SD Plissken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:43 pm 

I really like the new Halloween soundtrack by John Carpenter. The entire album can be streamed here: https://johncarpentermusic.bandcamp.com ... soundtrack

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:17 am 

Currently digging the newest Shook Ones album "Body Feel" quite a bit. It's like a more mid-paced Kid Dynamite, though it has its fast moments too. Very good melodic hardcore.

PvtNinjer wrote:
Fucked up is a cool ass band, I always found their albums a bit overlong but I've heard good things of this one, pretty excited to check it out.

Definitely do it if you haven't already, though this new one's pretty damn lengthy too - just a head's up. It's 82 minutes.

Exister
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:42 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
PvtNinjer wrote:

Definitely do it if you haven't already, though this new one's pretty damn lengthy too - just a head's up. It's 82 minutes.

I blind bought David Comes to Life years ago and it was one of those purchases where I've never felt so disappointed before haha. I try to understand why most music would be appealing to people but I just couldn't get past how dull the album was imo. I felt like most songs were the same and the vocals were monotonous. Maybe I started with the wrong album? Would you be able to rec an album from Fucked Up?

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:20 am 

Agroguitarist wrote:
I'm still totally into Florence + The Machine's 'High As Hope' album.
I'm a total fanboy, but it's such a personal, quiet record (by their standards anyway).

I gotta say this is the first one that really was kinda disappointing, but as you said it's pretty quiet and subdued. I may need to just give it a bit more attention. I wasn't exactly a huge fan of How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful on first listen either, come to think of it.

Any Roc Marciano fans? Behold a Dark Horse is pretty great, similar to what you'd expect from the guy, maybe not as great as The Bitter Dose but still pretty great. I just can't get enough of that man's flow.

Richard Swift's posthumous release The Hex is insanely good. I'm not sure exactly how you would classify it. Psychedelic garage folk pop? Pretty diverse album, really great compositions and Richard's vocals are incredible. Just really great, catchy and memorable stuff.

edit: Just listened to the live Mount Eerie release (after)... yeah don't listen to this album in public unless you are ok with people seeing you cry like a baby. Very heartwrenching stuff.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:51 pm 

Well uh, here's a random find:

https://unifuckingform.bandcamp.com/album/the-long-walk

Super noisy hardcore punk... well, damn. That guitar truly is a wall of sound.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:23 am 

Uniform is pretty dope, they been kinda getting some buzz the last few years and their split with The Body from earlier this year is superb, especially the song In My Skin

I just listened to Dose Your Dreams by Fucked Up yesterday and yall were right, this record fucking owns. My main complaint is that it is so long, but it's really a diverse and enjoyable listen. Great stuff.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:08 pm 

Exister wrote:

I blind bought David Comes to Life years ago and it was one of those purchases where I've never felt so disappointed before haha. I try to understand why most music would be appealing to people but I just couldn't get past how dull the album was imo. I felt like most songs were the same and the vocals were monotonous. Maybe I started with the wrong album? Would you be able to rec an album from Fucked Up?

Maybe you'd enjoy their first album, "Hidden World". It's more aggressive than "David Comes to Life" is, and it's still my favorite FU album. "Glass Boys" is pretty good too, and it's their shortest - that one might be the easiest one to get into because of that.

Also, been jamming the latest Night Birds release, "Roll Credits". I've always viewed them as one of the better modern-day bands going for an 80s hardcore sound, this record just kinda reminds me of why. A nice mix of Adolescents, Dead Kennedys and TSOL.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:43 am 

https://daughters.bandcamp.com/

Daughters have put out a new album; their first in 8 years. Quite the departure for them - it has singular tracks on it that are almost as long as their first album, and delves into darker sounds. The album, due to its increased length over its predecessors, has a more fleshed out sound and is a 'larger' listen. It draws from noise rock, industrial rock, no wave, and other such related genres. Fantastic stuff, hella creepy.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:19 pm 

So the new Sick of it All album "Wake the Sleeping Dragon" is pretty much what I expect from them at this point in their career, but that doesn't mean I love it any less. Good shit.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:42 am 

The new Pistol Annies album is brilliant as expected. It's probably going to be my favourite of the year, edging out Kacey Musgraves (who I saw again last night, she's great live).

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:36 am 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
https://daughters.bandcamp.com/

Daughters have put out a new album; their first in 8 years. Quite the departure for them - it has singular tracks on it that are almost as long as their first album, and delves into darker sounds. The album, due to its increased length over its predecessors, has a more fleshed out sound and is a 'larger' listen. It draws from noise rock, industrial rock, no wave, and other such related genres. Fantastic stuff, hella creepy.

Yeah this is great, and an unexpected change in style. It reminds me of a lot of those cool 80's bands that were on Touch & Go records, but without mimicking any in particular.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:42 pm 

Just listened for the first time to The Prodigy's new album "No Tourists" and it's nothing short of amazing. The only not so good thing is that it is a bit short. Will definitely pick it up though!

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:31 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
So the new Sick of it All album "Wake the Sleeping Dragon" is pretty much what I expect from them at this point in their career, but that doesn't mean I love it any less. Good shit.

Yeah - usual SOIA fare but they are really good at what they do. Classic NYHC and I bet the songs really translate live.

The new solo Billy Gibbons album "Big Bad Blues" is exactly what it says on the tin. Bluesy, raw, rollin' and tumblin' - just how I like that type of music.

And the new Terror album is basicly like SOIA - nothing new but very competent and lots of energy.

OFFICIAL_AWOKENINLIMBO
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:18 pm 

All i need to say is Sugar Wounds, A blackened/hardcore kind of band that was submitted onto here but rejected (and I assume black listed) Worthwhile listen :)

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:04 am 

FirebathDan wrote:
I have to recommend the new EP by Replicant. A very well done hybrid of synthwave and post-punk with touches from goth rock/deathrock and industrial. Highly enjoyable.

Thanks for the share. Always looking for stuff like this.

Thetrvestmetalhead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:06 am 

Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want
MGMT - Little Dark Age
Turnstile - Time & Space

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:18 pm 

Future Flesh by OddZoo

This is a wild listen. If I had to describe it, it's like a mix of noisily industrial, synthpop, and synthwave; a blend of Blood Inside-era Ulver, 80's Depeche Mode, Perturbator, with nods to NIN. Even then, that's kind of selling the album short, as there are slight elements from post-punk and indie rock.

Pop tunes awash with noisy, frosty synths and heavy beats. Really cool and super unique, I can see this easily being a top 5 album for me at the end of this year, and could even be a surprise/sleeper pick for my #1 non-metal album of 2018.

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
Thanks for the share. Always looking for stuff like this.

Anytime, of course.
Obliteration

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:58 pm 

Oh, it's been out a few months but obligatory shout out to KIDS SEE GHOSTS. Strange, strange stuff; with some eccentric lyrics and musical touches throughout. There's psychedelic influence from time to time and a straight up rock song on it (and rest assured, it's not an abject failure à la Kid Cudi's Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven or his collaborative album WZRD) which is a successor to a track off Kanye West's preceding album Ye. Despite its concise nature like it leaves quite the impact. Really interesting, uplifting stuff.

Back to Cudi for a second... dude hasn't sounded this good in a long time. Ye's at the top of his game too. Definitely the best thing Kid Cudi's ever touched and yet another win in Kanye's illustrious career.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:44 pm 

The new Cult Leader is a complete emotional rollercoaster and goes hard as all fuck. The beefier songs are right on par with their debut with batshit, sludgy hardcore riffs almost reminiscent of the Gaza days on tracks like "I Am Healed" and "Aurum Nervosa", the breakdowns are massive, and Anthony Lucero's vocal performance is absolutely monstrous. To compliment this, they've expanded on the direction of the title track from Lightless Walk, with 3 or 4 post- influenced singer/songwriter tracks that are incredibly profound in their own right and play off the heavier songs almost seamlessly. Lucero's low, sombre cleans here almost reminding me of more melodic Gira in a sense. Definitely a banger, gonna be up there with Idles, Daughters, and Parquet Courts on my year end list for sure.

Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:59 pm 

def feeling the new cult leader more than the last one

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:12 pm 

The new Cult Leader album does indeed kick massive amounts of ass, one of the best hardcore albums of the year so far probably, alongside the newest Vein, Gouge Away and Turnstile ones.

Also, I'm digging the Laura Jane Grace & the Devouring Mothers debut. I'd say it's more solid than Against Me!'s last album, "Shape Shift With Me", though I dug most of that one too.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:12 pm 

Seconding Daughters, Cult Leader and Gouge Away. My most listened to new albums have turned out to be from Iceage, Rome, Bambara, Parquet Courts, Altin Gun, Idles and Tropical Fuck Storm.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:02 am 

The new Red Dragon Cartel album is far better than I expected. I figured it'd be better than the debut but I'm shocked at just how much better it is. It's not some bold classic but it's a mandatory listen for anybody who liked Badlands.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:11 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Oh, it's been out a few months but obligatory shout out to KIDS SEE GHOSTS. Strange, strange stuff; with some eccentric lyrics and musical touches throughout. There's psychedelic influence from time to time and a straight up rock song on it (and rest assured, it's not an abject failure à la Kid Cudi's Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven or his collaborative album WZRD) which is a successor to a track off Kanye West's preceding album Ye. Despite its concise nature like it leaves quite the impact. Really interesting, uplifting stuff.

Back to Cudi for a second... dude hasn't sounded this good in a long time. Ye's at the top of his game too. Definitely the best thing Kid Cudi's ever touched and yet another win in Kanye's illustrious career.

AOTY for me - so, i'm here to echo this statement. 9.5/10 maybe even 10/10.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║