Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:46 am 

Attending a public school in the Midwest of the United States, preaching religion is not allowed on school property. About a year ago, my friend and I were nearly dropped from the talent show because we wanted to play "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due" (typical, I know) and it had religious references. After editing out the lines that had been deemed "offensive," it had to be approved by several teachers before we were even allowed to sign up again.

Now, yesterday was the first day of February, which is Black History Month. Of course, I believe that black history should be treated as American history and taught with the rest. But my school had organized to have a local rap group come in and perform for the whole school. I thought they were alright, until I heard lyrics like "His name is Christ / I call Him J.C. / He's the maker and he's saving me." They continued preaching the Gospel for the remainder of their 10-song set. Not being a Christian myself, it made me extremely uncomfortable to have religion shoved in my face like that. I have nothing against rap, but I felt like they could have talked about religion in a historical context instead of preaching.

Any thoughts? Do you think that the school simply has prejudice about metal music?

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:33 pm 

:lol:

wat

dude, it's because parents complain, that's all. no conspiracy or anything. metal is aggressive sounding and has a historical danger to it that really, no longer applies to rap (unless the parents are racists). dont read too much into all dis shit, mane.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:40 pm 

This topic: I was hoping there would be a link to a terrible cover of Soundgarden's "Outshined" by a band that so thoroughly IS christian rap, they NAMED THEMSELVES Christian Rap.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:15 pm 

demonomania wrote:
This topic: I was hoping there would be a link to a terrible cover of Soundgarden's "Outshined" by a band that so thoroughly IS christian rap, they NAMED THEMSELVES Christian Rap.

I might have to make that, that sounds beautifully awful.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.