Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:24 pm 

About whether to include this crappy job on your resume: that depends how much other stuff you can put on there. If you have a long-ass gap of employment, I would list it even if you were there for a short time. Employers might inconsciously think during your jobless period, you weren't very actively searching. Unfair I know, but it's a real risk. On the other hand, if you have other recent work that you feel happier talking about, that really contributed positive skills and experience, and is therefore more impressive to future recruiters, drop the crappy one.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:04 pm 

Dude, here's the fucking how-to:
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:28 pm 

HouseSpiders wrote:
I'm not 100% sure it will work, but certainly worth a try. If I was in your situation, I would ask my manager if it's possible to move to a different section. Supermarkets require quite a range of work from their staff (checkouts, customer service, stacking, officework, online delivery and even more) so it's very possible that you find something better without even quitting. From my experience, I have seen quite a few managers move their staff elsewhere, myself included... though in most cases, I don't think it was by reqeust.

Also, avoid being stuck in the past and over-thinking your regrets, otherwise you will be depressed. History can't be changed, shit happens, but the best thing to do is to simply do better today.

I know how bad supermarkets can be. I worked in one for 8 years.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:54 am 

Is it weird that I agree with both Napero and derigin? :scratch:

Like... don't be a spoiled, entitled brat and learn some humility. But also, working is overrated and sucks and don't stick to a job that makes you so utterly miserable.

Makes sense?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:14 am 

Morrigan wrote:

Like... don't be a spoiled, entitled brat and learn some humility. But also, working is overrated and sucks and don't stick to a job that makes you so utterly miserable.

Makes sense?

No, not really.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 am 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Makes sense?

No, not really.

Actually, yes it does.

I'd say pretty much the same thing as Derigin, but the OP's attitude is precisely that of an entitled brat. He does not really want to work and advance, and only really seems to care about his dad's reaction. Whereas Derigin quit and found a new job, the OP feels like a fellow who won't look for another job, and just wants to quit. There's an enormous difference there.

If one of my daughters was in the same situation, I'd simply say that OK, quit if you want, but make ure you have something else prepared. The world is not always a nice place, and assuming it always should be is a sign of assumed entitlement.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:49 am 

You make some very good and important points but I still don't know what to believe about the OP's situation.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 am 

Maybe while you still have some time left at your current job you could go through some kind of 80s-movie-montage where the ex-cons teach you about love and life, and how to laugh again. You sound like a fucking turd.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:53 am 

Yeah I mean quit a shitty job if you want to, I can agree with Derigin on that - it's easy to get stuck and if you've got something you'd rather be doing with your life, by all means make it happen.

But it's just unrealistic to quit with no real plan or goal except 'meh I don't want to work at night.' Do that if you want, but it won't help you if you're not working toward anything else and it'd be lame as fuck. Then you'll just be stuck in a different way. And it's just a shitty fact of life that sometimes you have to put in hours at a shit job for a while. It's all about the mindset. You can get out later if you have a plan. Your post comes off like you just want to quit because you're bored.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:47 am 

Talk to the ex-cons and see if they have a quick "job" planned where you can earn REAL money if you're willing to get your hands dirty.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:06 pm 

demonomania wrote:
Talk to the ex-cons and see if they have a quick "job" planned where you can earn REAL money if you're willing to get your hands dirty.

Interesting. Ex-cons are well known for having many connections to the "business" world, so this could definitely be a fruitful area to explore. Good post.

Anyway, OP, I suspect your ex-con friends love the job because night shift jobs generally have minimal supervision and after being in prison that must feel great.

I worked night shift for a long time and it's simply not for everyone. However, everyone starts off on night shift completely loathing it because it forces you to become a night person. It may be worth hanging out at this job a bit to see if you take to being a night person. Some people take to it well and enjoy the minimal pressure and supervision. Some enjoy the peacefulness of the night. A lot of people never get used to it and don't like being separated from day society (and becoming a night person will do this). You never really know which you are til you try it.

I've worked a lot of warehouse jobs too and I know the main reason newbs are slow isn't because they aren't working hard enough but because they haven't got a firm grasp of where everything is stocked yet. That comes with time. Once you instinctively know where most products go you can breeze through the job like nothing. Your boss busting your balls is probably just trying to break you in. Your coworkers seem pretty chillaxed so it may not be so bad once you get the hang of where things are and how the system works. It could be a pretty kush job if you stick around for a while.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:36 am 

Napero wrote:
And MikeyC, you're a likable fellow, and I don't doubt you sincerely wish good things to everybody. But I have a feeling the friend in question might not have been the friend OP wanted, but he sure as hell might be the friend he needs... just saying.

Maybe. Just going by what was written so it could be anything.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Insurrection463
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:41 pm 

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I actually went to a new place today and spoke to the manager and told him I filled out an application about 2 weeks ago and he told me he'll get back to me within a week and that I should come back if he doesn't call me. But, he wrote my name down.

So, I'm hoping I can get this other job and finally end this one.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:35 am 

Listen to what turner said bro. Suck it up until you find something else. Don't be a quitter, you'll get nothing in life.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:29 pm 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
Listen to what turner said bro. Suck it up until you find something else. Don't be a quitter, you'll get nothing in life.

Quitting a night stocking job doesn't mean you'll get nothing in life anymore than putting five dollars in the bank today means you're gonna be a millionaire. It's a job with no real prospects of producing upward mobility (unless maybe you're an ex-con), it's just a stopgap. I gave advice as to how he might be able to get used to the job and possibly enjoy some aspects of it. That's helpful since it's nice to have a little money coming in. If night work is too disruptive or troublesome and he isn't in danger of dying in the streets, it's not that big a deal to leave a stopgap job. Saying "if you quit you're a loser" is shitposting.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:26 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:

Saying "if you quit you're a loser" is shitposting.

I didn't call him a loser. Give the passive aggressive attitude a rest dude. If he can't handle stocking shelves then how is he going to get ahead in the future?

Ignore this guy. Like turner said, you gotta man up and keep working til you find something else, don't be a quitter. From your OP you sound like you want to justify throwing the towel in and taking the easy way out. I work in a factory and I've had my share of run ins with people and I'm still there. I've had days I want to quit, but I keep going to get my paycheck so I can support myself and pay my bills.

Don't listen to people like john_sunlight who will justify taking the easy way out. The easy way will get you nowhere.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:03 pm 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
The easy way will get you nowhere.

Untrue. The hard way is what gets most people nowhere. The most grueling and miserable jobs are also the ones which help people advance economically least frequently. There's a lot of jobs like that out there.

The OP said he didn't *have* to do this job, afterall his major concern isn't feeding his family but being chided by his dad. Hardly sounds like this is the pivotal moment that's going to make or break his future. He has a degree, which means he put in the work to earn it. Why assume someone who has gone through that unpleasant process in order to better themselves has no future?

You're just trolling by saying he will accomplish nothing in life if he doesn't grind away at a night job he hates. Sounds like you're the one trying to justify lamentable choices, eh?

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:44 am 

I remember I got a job as a busser at a food chain when I was around 20 or 21. They made me start scrubbing toilets and shit, and I specifically remember thinking "fuck this, I have more respect for myself, I'll never do this for money". I quit the job, and found one as a server the next day. Unfortunately, the place overstaffed and then demoted me because it was my first serving job. That led to me basically not showing up for my next shift, getting a new job (again, the next day), and I've been at this place for the last 3 or 4 years. Point is, is that you gotta kiss a lot of frogs to get a good job. That seem to be true regardless of how much money you make on it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:35 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:

Untrue. The hard way is what gets most people nowhere. The most grueling and miserable jobs are also the ones which help people advance economically least frequently. There's a lot of jobs like that out there.

The OP said he didn't *have* to do this job, afterall his major concern isn't feeding his family but being chided by his dad. Hardly sounds like this is the pivotal moment that's going to make or break his future. He has a degree, which means he put in the work to earn it. Why assume someone who has gone through that unpleasant process in order to better themselves has no future?

You're just trolling by saying he will accomplish nothing in life if he doesn't grind away at a night job he hates. Sounds like you're the one trying to justify lamentable choices, eh?

The problem is just that sometimes you have to work a shit job in order to make some money for a while. It's unclear what the OP's end goal really is, but if he wanted to move out of his parents' house or support himself financially, he may not like the jobs he's got available. Not to say he should take a demeaning job or one that crushes his soul, but just that he may not love the fuck out of every job available to him to make some decent money to spend and do things with.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:05 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:

You're either plain ignorant, or you just want to argue with someone. He's stacking shelves, that is neither 'grueling' nor 'miserable'.

OP, sack up until you find something better. Trust me. Get those dollars in your bank while you can, there are lots of people in the world who will never even get a chance at your nightfill job. Be greatful.

Insurrection463
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:00 pm 

Gunslinger21 wrote:

You're either plain ignorant, or you just want to argue with someone. He's stacking shelves, that is neither 'grueling' nor 'miserable'.

OP, sack up until you find something better. Trust me. Get those dollars in your bank while you can, there are lots of people in the world who will never even get a chance at your nightfill job. Be greatful.

It may not be grueling or miserable in the same sense that training for the military is grueling and miserable, but it still is pretty bad. It may not be as physically demanding, but it makes your brain feel like mush and depression sets in quickly.

Just going into work and seeing boxes upon boxes sitting on the floor ready to be torn open just makes you feel like crap. it just makes you constantly think, "How did my life come to this?" The boss even said to me the other night, "You're going to have to put some pep in your step and make it look like you want to be here, otherwise you won't have a job for very long."

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:48 am 

I know how bad that feeling is when you start a job and you get that sinking feeling you've made the wrong choice. I get the urgency that you just wanna dip out and find something hopefully better. It's not like you had to prove yourself or waste countless years in an educational institution to get a degree to stack shit off pallets.

Only thing that might make me reconsider is the fact that you work around guys that have done time in correctional facilities, I'm guessing you're on the younger side of the equation here and maybe barely outta high school? I dunno. Anyway, my point being these guys have clearly been through some serious shit and seem to enjoy their job. I'd try talkin to em, not necessarily about the job, but just like, how they got there and stuff. At the very least, you'll get better stories out of them than the other cashiers at CVS.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:08 am 

I can't tell you much else bud. Please, stop your negative weak mentality and just appreciate the fact you have an income? you'll either take the advice or learn the hard way when you get the sack. Just listen to your boss man, I know criticism is a hard pill to swallow, but just do what he says and start wanting to be there. Nothing worse than working with people that don't want to be there.

I've been bullied for about 6 months now where I am, by a woman who has a senior position and her friend who is the big boss. I've been lied about, blamed for shit that I never did and generally treated like shit, and the boss knows full well what going on and they encourage it. Not let it go but they stick up for her when they know she is lying. But I'm not throwing my job in man, fuck them. I'll keep working until I find something else.

It's your opportunity, your life, and your decision. Your actions will carry over into other jobs and shape who you are as a person. Push forward.

Or quit.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:14 am 

Yeah I'm not hearing anything that makes this so bad - you have to unload a bunch of boxes? So?

Find something else if you want to... that's all anybody can tell you.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:33 pm 

I think at this point this thread has outlived whatever value it might have had (if any).

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2