Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BrunoGriloDias
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:54 pm 

Unfortunately, MySpace is the only register of many independent bands, which had released just demos.
For some time now, I can't hear any music on the site, not even load the songs.
Does anyone know anything about it? MySpace audios definitely flopped?

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:06 pm 

I didn't know there still was a myspace. I haven't been on there since probably 2010

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:08 pm 

Yeah I think bandcamp was the final nail for MySpace.

BrunoGriloDias
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:26 pm 

Yeah. I don't have a MySpace registration or anything else, but I often find bands here in MA who only have a MySpace link and nothing else. Probably many records of bands that no longer exist are going to get lost forever

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:42 pm 

They should have rebranded as a music-focused site in 2010. So many bands were using them.

They didn't, and now there's no point. Bandcamp/Soundcloud stole their lunch.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:20 pm 

MySpace was popular and the go-to place to hear music, but Facebook started to steal its thunder. Then with the rise and rise of YouTube, Bandcamp, Soundcloud, Spotify, etc., it became redundant.

Last I heard Justin Timberlake bought it (if memory serves), but it's essentially dead.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:17 pm 

I think what happened was Myspace did an "upgrade"(2.0?), where it made things worse, such as a new look, to where people went to Facebook. I've found a few metal groups and found some bands that way. But yeah, I haven't been on myspace since probably 2010.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:29 am 

Problem for MySpace was that they had an outmoded version of Facebook attached to their music platform, and no one cared about it.
Bandcamp and the like were miles ahead in thinking this one out. I guess MySpace hoped they'd have a resurgence after everyone abandoned it wholesale in about 2006, but they should've gone music-only.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:51 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
I think what happened was Myspace did an "upgrade"(2.0?), where it made things worse, such as a new look, to where people went to Facebook. I've found a few metal groups and found some bands that way. But yeah, I haven't been on myspace since probably 2010.

This, that update was awful and definitively marked its definitive decay.

Back in time I used MySpace a lot and used to speak with some band members.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:47 am 

MySpace is like a zombie. Refusing to finally give in and drop dead once and for all.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Wrath6909
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:58 am 

Myspace has been dead since I made this account. Just use facebook instead.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:01 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:

Damn when was that update.. Late 2008? I remember that because i spent all day at work "adding" friends manually to boost my bands standing, and it all went to shit there. The site layout became unintuitive and impossible to use effectively.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:13 am 

What kind of dumbass bands only have a MySpace page post-2010? Bandcamp and SoundCloud are free, y'all. And here I was thinking that ReverbNation was the most moronic site to use for a band...

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:41 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
What kind of dumbass bands only have a MySpace page post-2010? Bandcamp and SoundCloud are free, y'all. And here I was thinking that ReverbNation was the most moronic site to use for a band...

I believe the OP is saying there are a lot of bands from the time period where myspace was active who put material on it which isn't available anywhere else. Presumably those bands are no longer active and haven't migrated to other websites.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:05 am 

I'm not sure exactly why, but Bandcamp hasn't been as effective for networking as Myspace was. Did the Top 10 spaces, and other features like showing which friends are currently online, encourage the social aspect more?

They really killed it with the customizable pages that loaded like animations and things when you went to a page, especially in the comments section. Just took too long to load in the days of slower internet.

Funny how most recognize how good Myspace was for bands but no one wants to go back there. I guess it is because you'd be all alone over there, and no one wants to be the first.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:36 am 

BrunoGriloDias wrote:
Unfortunately, MySpace is the only register of many independent bands, which had released just demos.
For some time now, I can't hear any music on the site, not even load the songs.
Does anyone know anything about it? MySpace audios definitely flopped?

I have the same problem actually. At first I thought it was an add-on problem, but I disabled all my security add-ons in both Chrome and Firefox and Myspace still doesn't work. I even tried shitty old Internet Explorer and still nothing will load. So it seems like a problem on MySpace's side. But it looks this thread has been derailed a bit from the original point :lol:

BrunoGriloDias
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:18 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
I believe the OP is saying there are a lot of bands from the time period where myspace was active who put material on it which isn't available anywhere else. Presumably those bands are no longer active and haven't migrated to other websites.

Yes, man... that is exactly what I meant. Many bands of that era splited up and their recordings became rarities. With the fall of MySpace, many of them probably will disappear from the web without a trace

BrunoGriloDias
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:22 pm 

I Am the Law wrote:
I have the same problem actually. At first I thought it was an add-on problem, but I disabled all my security add-ons in both Chrome and Firefox and Myspace still doesn't work. I even tried shitty old Internet Explorer and still nothing will load. So it seems like a problem on MySpace's side. But it looks this thread has been derailed a bit from the original point :lol:

Yeah... I also tried all these alternatives, and nothing.
It's a pity, because I like to rummage through the MA random pages searching for unknown bands, and I often find some that have only a MySpace link.

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:56 pm 

BrunoGriloDias wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:

Yes, man... that is exactly what I meant. Many bands of that era splited up and their recordings became rarities. With the fall of MySpace, many of them probably will disappear from the web without a trace

And, I assure you, nothing of value will be lost

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:36 am 

Quote:
And, I assure you, nothing of value will be lost

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of screamo bands suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:07 pm 

I remember my father asked me a few years back if Myspace was still a thing.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:01 pm 

I really hated it when they changed the layouts.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:10 pm 

Some of the tracks on MySpace may be able to be ripped using some websites that can rip from soundcloud, bandcamp, etc.

Some extremely obscure funeral doom bands are on MySpace only and I was able to, even though the tracks refused to play. I think it's just the site being so outdated and unused that things don't work at all.

MySpace more or less died in 2010 by unintentional suicide.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:07 pm 

Fucking Myspace. When they rolled out that pointless Facebook wannabe thing, the revamped design bulldozed all over the biography sections, in the process wiping tons of information about bands we have listed with pretty much their only online presence being those old Myspace profiles. All that data, just gone, without warning, and only a small fraction was in some form mirrored on MA. Just expertly done. :|

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:22 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Fucking Myspace. When they rolled out that pointless Facebook wannabe thing, the revamped design bulldozed all over the biography sections, in the process wiping tons of information about bands we have listed with pretty much their only online presence being those old Myspace profiles. All that data, just gone, without warning, and only a small fraction was in some form mirrored on MA. Just expertly done. :|

That's the way of the internet though. Never rely on any online resources you might need again to still be available tomorrow - save them immediately and store there somewhere safe (if they're really that important). They might be gone for all kinds of reasons, but the simplest one is that someone just might not be bothered to pay for their webspace any more. Or, like in this case, someone decides that for whatever reason they just don't want that information on there any longer.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:40 am 

I haven't used that website since 2008... how time flies..

Reply to topic