Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:01 pm 

I feel like The Lego Movie is a commercial in the best way possible. My reaction wasn't "Fuck this shit, tryin' to make me wanna play with Legos"--it was more like "Fuck yeah, this movie was awesome! I really wanna do something with Legos now!"

But then I remembered I never could make anything with Legos, so that impulse died quickly. Still really enjoyed the movie, though. Lego Batman was pretty great, too.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:09 pm 

Lane wrote:
Damn I enjoyed watching Poultrygeist - Night of the Chicken Dead! It's a Troma movie, which can be a good or a bad thing, I suppose. Previous one was Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV (2000). Poultrygeist came out in 2006, but I was it a while ago. It lit the spark to watch more Troma movies! Any suggestions? Must-sees?!?!

The movie itself is a musical, which genre I absolutely hate, more or less. For some reason (gore, pus & shite I guess, did it for me) on this one it works. It feature Ron Jeremy, and his moustache. It works also as a statement against fast food/processed food.

Oh god yes. I HATED this the first time I watched it until the carnage really starts going, but that carnage makes the musical portion much easier to sit through on second viewing.

Troma recs (in-house):
The Toxic Avenger
Citizen Toxie: Toxic Avenger IV
Terror Firmer
(possibly the definitive Troma experience $
Tromeo & Juliet (first feature written by GOTG's James Gunn)
Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD[/i]

Troma recs (distro):
Cannibal! The Musical (Trey Parker and Matt Stone's student film)
Def by Temptation
Beware! Children at Play
Redneck Zombies
(awful but valuable to the "shot on VHS" scene)

For my OT addition here...
Hard Target is the best John Woo flick. It has his trademarks all over it but they've been scaled back (guns actually require reloading), the villains are incredible (Lance Henriksen and Arnold Vosloo chewing all the scenery), it's peak JCVD, and the New Orleans setting makes it stand out even more from the lack of films taking place in NOLA.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:41 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I feel like The Lego Movie is a commercial in the best way possible. My reaction wasn't "Fuck this shit, tryin' to make me wanna play with Legos"--it was more like "Fuck yeah, this movie was awesome! I really wanna do something with Legos now!"

But then I remembered I never could make anything with Legos, so that impulse died quickly. Still really enjoyed the movie, though. Lego Batman was pretty great, too.

It was a commercial in the worst way possible because there was very little legacy sets or anything.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:18 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
Eraserhead 9.8/10

This film is probably the most unorthodox movie I"ve ever seen. Arguably, Eraserhead is one of the best directed films of all time.

And it's both pretty well ranked on IMDb and popular. I'm not sure how you're expressing an unpopular opinion here :O

A lot of people really love David Lynch's style.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:29 am 

Not to mention David Lynch is the kind of filmmaker people often claim to like to get coolness points from other movie nerds. Not that that's what you're doing, but he is one of those aboveground cult filmmakers who are obscure to normies, but really well known to the film fan community. Similar to the band Portal.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:46 pm 

Rather than going with the all too safe method by the OP, I'll just name a few generally loved/hated that I'm on the opposite fence with.

Hated:
The Dark Knight Rises - Ok so this was actually bashed by some, but equally praised by critics. Just a total plothole-ridden shitfest. The second half of the movie completely ruines Bane.

Django Unchained - Wasn't goofy enough to be sold as a blaxploitation, and I certainly didn't buy the whole Django character. The only time I was actually interested in what was going on was when Leo was on screen. My girlfriend loves this film so I've seen it probably 4 times now but my opinion hasn't changed. Also not a fan of the soundtrack.

12 Years a Slave - Extremely unsatisfying. Fassbender made it interesting at least. After so many hardships, the god-like Brad Pitt waltzes in like he owns the movie and ta-da, he's home and that's it. The story arc left me wanting a whole lot more.

Loved:
Godzilla (1998) - There's a nostalgia factor involved, so what? A great entertaining popcorn flick to the boot.

War Inc. - All over the place political satire. It's been called directionless and over-the-top, an epileptic mockery of an actual satire. I love it. There's a shitload of stuff happening all the time and the plot is completely bonkers. It still manages to be dramatic at times and the martial arts scenes are great because, you know, John Cusack.

Only God Forgives - With this I leaned a bit to the IMDB rating. It seems to be a divisive movie but I have it somewhere around 9,5/10 and one of the best pictures of the 21st century. A primitive, yet dreamlike slab of violent and vivid film-making.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:24 am 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
Rather than going with the all too safe method by the OP, I'll just name a few generally loved/hated that I'm on the opposite fence with.

Yeah, that's basically what I said. Dunno what's so safe about my method XD

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
Hated:
The Dark Knight Rises - Ok so this was actually bashed by some, but equally praised by critics. Just a total plothole-ridden shitfest. The second half of the movie completely ruines Bane.

This is by far the least popular of the Nolan's Batman trilogy. So you've basically used my "safe" method in the worst way possible. Congrats!

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:12 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
Hated:

This is by far the least popular of the Nolan's Batman trilogy. So you've basically used my "safe" method in the worst way possible. Congrats!

I don't know how it fared in NA, but in Europe it got pretty flawless points from everywhere. And by safe I meant that taking 7 point something movies from IMDB and giving them 4 points lower is something that could be done all day all week long.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:07 pm 

If you don't like superheroes, then there's not much that a superhero movie is going to do for you. Don't know why you even go.

But even if you do like superheroes, you cannot be faulted for not liking superhero movies. Even speaking as someone who read & enjoyed a fair amount of superhero comics back in the 70s-80s, I don't like most superhero movies either.

See, here's the problem - Most superhero movies are stupid simply because most superhero comics are stupid. Every once in a while you'll hit upon something that really stands out, like Claremont's X-Men run and Miller's Daredevil, or Byrne's Superman and O'Neill's Batman over on the DC side, but those are really, really the exceptions.

Same goes for the movies. Producers just want to mine the source material and make money. But if they don't have a decent writer on board you get half-assed drek like X-Men United, The Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man 3, etc etc.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:10 am 

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: I appreciate what it's trying to do, but the way memory is visually represented in the movie I find just strange and unrelatable. Maybe I just lack the capacity to decode its metaphors and artistry in general, but the movie leaves me cold even after seeing it three times.

Miami Vice (2006 movie): Soooo damn stylish, truly the work of a visionary director with a firm grasp of how to attain a certain look and feel of a movie. I absolutely love how it's shot (digital and rough as it may look at times, yes) and I think it's Michael Mann's second best movie after Heat. I understand all the criticisms towards it, but all I can say is it simply appeals to my sensibilities something crazy.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:59 pm 

Iron Man 3 is the best MCU flick not involving Captain America and the major criticisms come from fanboys upset that they turned a third string villain into a joke.

darkeningday wrote:

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:17 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Iron Man 3 is the best MCU flick not involving Captain America and the major criticisms come from fanboys upset that they turned a third string villain into a joke.

That, and

- The plot was dumb. They tried to make something out of the Extremis storyline, simply because it was popular, while removing anything about the Extremis storyline that made any sense.
- Giving Pepper superpowers was pointless and never followed up on
- A version of Stark armor being used to adroitly kidnap and endanger the fucking President probably would have some consequences
- The entire flying army o' Stark drones obviates the whole point of Iron Man. Even in the comics they knew this was stupid and got rid of it all.
- It makes Whiplash, the villain from Iron Man 2, look like he was correct all along. You don't need guys in suits at all. Just robots. Who's the asshole now?

It just about wrecked the MCU for me. It seemed like they were on the right track in figuring out how to make a world with superheros somewhat internally consistent, and then they went and deliberately dumbed it up just to sell some more action figures.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:23 pm 

I didn't think the plot was any dumber than the other two, it has the best tempo and action scenes of the three (since emotional gravity was added by his friends being in danger), Pepper was given powers that could have potentially made her into a bomb (so it's not like she would've wanted them anyway), the multiple drone suits were done away with, and as for not needing somebody operating the suit? Tony does more damage with half a suit on him than his drones.

darkeningday wrote:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:23 pm 

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is the best superhero movie of all time. Come at me!

Valfars Ghost
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:05 am 

Not the worst but certainly the most overrated movie I'm aware of is Clockwork Orange. I wish someone had told Stanley Kubrick that making rape scenes cartoonish and silly undercuts all the dramatic value the movie seems to be aiming for and that Stanley Kubrick had listened. And Alex kills a woman by bludgeoning her to death with a giant penis statue that's too unwieldy to be used as a practical weapon...was this whole movie supposed to be a joke of some kind? Interestingly, the book it's based on is actually good, though understanding the Nadsat slang is a bit of a challenge.

Valfars Ghost
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:20 am 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:

This is a minor point that doesn't even come close to encapsulating everything wrong with this movie but did the part where Batman can't climb up that giant stone shaft to freedom particularly annoy anyone else? Why didn't he just climb the rope that kept his stupid ass from dying when he tried to jump from one part to the other despite every part of the shaft having the largest and deepest handholds ever?

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:47 pm 

Yes that was ridiculous I remember staring at the tv in disbelief.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:24 am 

Valfars Ghost wrote:
Not the worst but certainly the most overrated movie I'm aware of is Clockwork Orange. I wish someone had told Stanley Kubrick that making rape scenes cartoonish and silly undercuts all the dramatic value the movie seems to be aiming for and that Stanley Kubrick had listened. And Alex kills a woman by bludgeoning her to death with a giant penis statue that's too unwieldy to be used as a practical weapon...was this whole movie supposed to be a joke of some kind? Interestingly, the book it's based on is actually good, though understanding the Nadsat slang is a bit of a challenge.

So your main gripe with a movie that is amazingly writen, directed and acted is that a big penis statue was used in a scene to kill a woman?

It's also kind of weird that you found the rape scenes to be less dramatic because of how Alex's gang made it look like it was all just a game. If anything, this adds to the intensity of the scene because it shows just how much this kind of violence is common and fun for his gang.

Not to mention that this movie was released in 1971. I know that were used to very graphic sexual violence in movies nowadays, but it was not the same back then. Personnally, I think we saw far enough in this movie to understand, and there was seriously no necessity for the movie to be any more explicit in it's violence.

Valfars Ghost wrote:
Why didn't he just climb the rope that kept his stupid ass from dying when he tried to jump from one part to the other despite every part of the shaft having the largest and deepest handholds ever?

I don't think the rope was tied to the sice of the shaft. It probably was tied to a pole in the middle above the shaft to make sure that when they climbed they couldn't just use the rope to get out. But I might be wrong... I didn't watch that movie more then once.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2