Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:39 pm 

New Converge single sounds like they've been listening to sludge metal. There were a few sludge riffs in their last record, most prominently in Sadness Comes Home. Really excited for the next one.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:12 pm 

Eagerly awaiting this one! Loved the last one, and love Jane Doe. It'll be interesting to see where they go with this one.

Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:51 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Eagerly awaiting this one! Loved the last one, and love Jane Doe. It'll be interesting to see where they go with this one.

I genuinely hope they really do have more sludge riffs on this record, of course with the Converge twist. I honestly want them to be in the archives. Hehe. But in all seriousness, the intro riff off Sadness Come Home was so addictive and ear catchy.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:56 pm 

Fuck, Reptilian might be the best new song I've heard all year. Absolutely insane. For the sludge at the start, I think it largely comes from touring with Neurosis. Almost seems like their interpretation of Through Silver in Blood.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:11 am 

Honestly their best since You Fail Me, can't wait to get my hands on the vinyl, especially for some of the heavier songs like "Under Duress" and "Reptilian". "A Single Tear" is an instant Converge classic and these more Jesus Lizard-esque metalcore tracks ("Murk & Marrow", "Trigger") are absolute fucking bangers. Most likely going to be my AOTY, crazy they're still pumping out content at this level of quality... but then again, it is Converge.

dystopia4 wrote:
For the sludge at the start, I think it largely comes from touring with Neurosis.

I may be misinterpreting what you're saying here, but sludgy riffs aren't really a new thing for Converge, eh. They've been scattered across a good deal of their albums for a couple decades now :-P
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:19 am 

Just finished my first listen, thumbs waaaaaaay up. It has everything that Converge are famous for, and then some, it's raw, honest, masterfully paced, and it seems a bit more... focused, I want to say. As if it were a tad less chaotic, but a LOT catchier and memorable instead. First impressions are definitely great, let's see if they last and it makes my Top 10 of the year.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:30 am 

Definitely a solid album, I enjoyed it a lot.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Reply to topic