Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gene Chode
Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:46 pm 

I hope this thread won't cause too much of a stink like discussions related to politics generally do , but I suppose that's an unavoidable risk , so here it goes ...

Anyways I thought it would be good to start up a thread about being apolitical and everything that comes along with it . I personally identify as ( more or less ) apolitical for a number of reasons . One of them is the ( IMHO ) fact that all political sides/factions/movements are tribalistic to a great degree.

I think it's safe to say that there isn't a single successful political party/side/movement on the face of the earth that doesn't depend on tribal instinct for support . If one lacks such tribal instinct then it becomes hard for one to support any party/movement/faction . This also ties in with the issue of relative/objective morality , since it's hard for one to excuse the shortcomings of a particular side if one doesn't identify with one side to the point of thinking that the other is worse . Being apolitical often stems from lacking tribal feelings and/or having a relatively objective view of morality in my experience .

I could go on , but I'll leave it at that for now , since I'd prefer to see some feedback before I blabber on about my views . :)

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:21 pm 

Gene Chode wrote:
relatively objective

?

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:46 pm 

erm, I guess your global tribalism claim is highly doubtful. you do realize that the existence of one single non-tribalistic political entity in the world would falsify it immediately right? and then it still isn't clear whether tribalism in politics is also a bad thing in the first place. also, what does good/bad mean here? in terms of political morality or pragmatic poltitical success or whatever?

and seeing that you obviously do reflect on politics, maybe you aren't an "apolitical" person at all, but just don't engage in traditional political activism.

not sure where this is going.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Gene Chode
Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:17 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Gene Chode wrote:
relatively objective

?

I wrote that because I imagine that very few people have a completely objective view of morality .

Gene Chode
Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:22 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:
erm, I guess your global tribalism claim is highly doubtful. you do realize that the existence of one single non-tribalistic political entity in the world would falsify it immediately right? and then it still isn't clear whether tribalism in politics is also a bad thing in the first place. also, what does good/bad mean here? in terms of political morality or pragmatic poltitical success or whatever?

and seeing that you obviously do reflect on politics, maybe you aren't an "apolitical" person at all, but just don't engage in traditional political activism.

not sure where this is going.

I don't quite understand what you mean by global tribalism , but I'm going to agree with you with respect to the single political entity . That said such a political entity doesn't exist , which makes my claim not so doubtful .

I'm referring to morality in the standard sense of right and wrong .

Yes I am reflecting on politics here from an apolitical viewpoint . I'm not trying to claim that I'm not taking a stance , only that I'm taking a neutral stance that is critical of the non neutral stances .

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:18 pm 

/r/iamverysmart

+

/r/teenagers

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.